Getting a Dog to Help With MCAT Stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tua19606

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband is studying for the MCAT to take this summer. I noticed he's been very stressed out and isolated. I was thinking about getting him a puppy to help relieve some of his stress and take away some of the unavoidable depression that comes with preparing for the MCAT's. Would that be a good idea? Of course training and caring for the puppy won't be completely his responsibility, especially not during his study time.
I figured the summer would be a good time to get it because I have more free time from school and I can take it outside of the house often since the weather will be warm.
We live in a 2 bedroom apartment and are allowed pets.

Members don't see this ad.

Thats a nice gesture, but I don't know if you want to be giving him one more thing that can distract him from studying!

That'd be very distracting. I have cats at home and they like to jump all over my table. It's cute but also really distracting.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's other special things you can do for your husband....As adorable as they are, puppies cost time and $$. I'm just gonna have my cousin drop by with his 3 month old vizsla for puppy therapy every now and then

Last edited:
out of experience, I think it would be a nice present after all that studying but definitely a big no no during studying because those little buggers are so cute, a stressed person would think more about the dog/cat than anything. I sure got sucked in.

Tell your husband he won't get any sex unless he scores at least a 515.
That's a terrible idea. It's clearly MCAT related stress. Incentives are not necessary in this specific case. The incentive is the end result: Getting into medical school. As OP stated her husband needs stress RELIEF. Witholding sex will only make things worse and can cause serious relationship issues. Also shame on you for suggesting c***blocking a fellow dude!

Last edited:
As someone who owns two dogs, no.

There's a boatload of responsibility when it comes to owning a dog that even the most mature and educated people underestimate. Plus cost is huge. Then you have the added stressor of if he does well and gets into medical school, you have to move and it limits your living options quite a bit.

You can suggest things like visiting a shelter and walking dogs as a good break time sort of activity to distract him from MCAT stress. All the benefits of a dog without the responsibility of ownership. Something like hamsters or a pet rat might be doable (they are highly trainable) but still quite a bit of responsibility.

Just get him out of the house doing something he enjoys once in awhile.

Reactions: 1 user