Has anyone heard from VMRCVM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if you still haven't heard ANYTHING (interview, rejection, waitlist) i would call today. there are only 9 days left til interviews and they only do it on that one weekend (Jan 28-30). It's getting late enough where they really should have respectfully notified everyone already.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats pwnedu! Good to know she's still making calls.

Congrats to the people who are getting calls!

Also, is anyone else going to be at the Inn @ VT on the night of the 28th? We should have an SDN "go-downstairs-and-hang-out-at-the-bar-or-something" event :D lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to the people who are getting calls!

Also, is anyone else going to be at the Inn @ VT on the night of the 28th? We should have an SDN "go-downstairs-and-hang-out-at-the-bar-or-something" event :D lol

OOO! i am stayin at the inn at VT!! id love to meet everyone the night before! what a great idea dickvetplease!

Arent you spending boatloads on the Inn? There are a few other places that might be cheaper to stay that are not that far away.

My room at the inn is $100. I'm not really sure what is normal for the area, but i'm fortunate that my mother has agreed to take care of interview travel expenses.

I've also kind of adopted that horrible mentality, where i'll spend a little more because i know i'm going into huge debt anyways.

ya mine was 100$. compared to the prices in my area i consider that cheap. but i know once i saw the rent in blacksburg *shock* maybe that is super expensive to others?

i stayed there 2 weeks ago because my bf had an MBA interview and the inn is AMAZING! especially for the cheap price! sooo beautiful (i love stone). and i used their gym which is bigger than expected! we also received a newspaper in the morning and free starbucks coffee for filling out the review/survey for the hotel. We ordered their morning breakfast (11$) and it had SOO much food. next time we go we will split it!! and it arrived exactly at 8:15am!! i may do that again for my interview because it is more relaxing for me than going out to get food. I know i'll be really nervous and i want to make sure i am prepared and look good in my outfit ahead of time.

Hey everyone! I've read these forums for a long time now but finally had to register - I'll be interviewing at Va Tech on the 30th and I STILL can't believe this is actually, finally happening!

I'm so excited (!!) but really nervous about the format...I spent so long mentally preparing myself for the traditional interview (which I felt I kinda knew what to expect a bit) and this "multiple scenario" thing is killing me with the uncertainty!

Just wondering what you all are doing to get ready?

ive talked to many people and they all say you cant really prepare for it (even the director of admissions said this). so im just relaxing and trying to remain calm. If you're already prepared for a "normal" interview those behaviors are all important for the MMI so i think that is all you can really do to prepare yourself

Exactly! I didn't really think there was much I could do either - but it feels so wrong just to WAIT...February 5th seems years away right now. :)

Yeah that is more than 1/4 of my rent down here, but it is really nice accommodations for sure :) Thank you alumni!

Also, if anyone has any questions about the area, where to board you horse (average stall board $450, pasture $250) feel free to PM me. I know this might be a little early for most, but I have been living here for four years and can certainly give you an idea about the town etc.

Yay sharing information!

I finally gave in and called. No longer under consideration.
Goodbye, dreams of virginia and relative warmth.

My dream place to live, but oh well. I knew the OOS odds.
Apparently my letter was mailed over a week ago, and it still hasn't gotten here. I'm almost wondering if they sent it to my permanent address.

I'm sorry, cowgirla.

RockefellerVT, that's pretty funny -- full board up here (in MD outside of D.C.) ranges from $400-$600, but housing prices are 2-3+ times higher than in Blacksburg!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called and asked how long the interview reserve list would stay open before we got kicked to the curb, and Joyce told me until the day before the interviews.

So theoretically, they would expect us out of staters to get a flight to Virginia with a day's notice. As if I don't have enough to worry about :(

Wow that's intense... good luck though!

Did anyone get the email about the MPH program information sessions being held during interviews? I just got it today. I dont know that much about adding an MPH to a DVM and what sort of doors it opens so anyone with info on that, please chime in!

I'm still on that alternate list too. Do you when the day before the interviews is?

WOW!!! $450.00 for full-board!!!! Now I just need the horse!!!:D I live near Wellington, FL and the rates there range from $600-over 1500 a month!! Anyways, I am planning on staying at Days Inn for $65 a night (too broke to stay anywhere else) and am renting a car from the airport!! I still cannot believe this is happening.. you sure I'm not dreaming???? I like the fact that there is really no way to prepare for these interviews...makes it less stressful that I am not obsessively rehearsing answers and just looking forward to the interview and expecting the unexpected. Look forward to meeting everyone!!:D

I still cannot believe this is happening.. you sure I'm not dreaming???? I like the fact that there is really no way to prepare for these interviews...makes it less stressful that I am not obsessively rehearsing answers and just looking forward to the interview and expecting the unexpected. Look forward to meeting everyone!!:D

you're gonna do fantastic!!! good luck! i can't wait to hear how these interviews go. :D

Wellington!! I used to live there, I went to Palm Beach Central the first year it opened my sophmore year. Worst year of my life. Needless to say came back to virginia

Thanks Rileyroo!!!! I am prepared to expect the unexpected with these interviews!!!

Wellington!! I used to live there, I went to Palm Beach Central the first year it opened my sophmore year. Worst year of my life. Needless to say came back to virginia

I am ready to move to Virginia for about four years!!!! ;)

Congrats to everyone with an interview! If you are on the waitlist, hang in there!

On another very important topic, interview orientation begins at noon, at least on the 29th. Are they going to feed us? Was there a specific schedule in the emails that I need to reread? Or should I just call? I would assume that if nothing else, they would talk a bit about the interview process, have a Q&A session, and a facilities tour, but I don't think there was an agenda in the interview invite. Am I wrong?

Congrats to everyone with an interview! If you are on the waitlist, hang in there!

On another very important topic, interview orientation begins at noon, at least on the 29th. Are they going to feed us? Was there a specific schedule in the emails that I need to reread? Or should I just call? I would assume that if nothing else, they would talk a bit about the interview process, have a Q&A session, and a facilities tour, but I don't think there was an agenda in the interview invite. Am I wrong?

Their email was the least informative out of the invites I have seen. They didnt even have an actual schedule lol. I know there will be a tour and also a short lecture about how the MMI will be. Besides that i have NO clue. Maybe once we check in they will have a more detailed schedule. I would say we can look forward to hearing from the ppl on the 28th, but i think most of us on SDN are on the 29th and a couple people the 30th

I'm not really sure about an exact schedule, but one of the emails said that everything should take about 5 hours (lunch provided, tours, interviews). Apparently you're put into a little team, and you stay with them throughout the day. I hope this is all correct, because my flight is scheduled such that I NEED to be on the Smartbus by 1:00 pm.

Speaking of that smartbus, is anyone else using it? I checked out the site, and it didn't look like you need to book ahead or anything. Also, does anyone know where you catch the bus at the airport?

I'm not really sure about an exact schedule, but one of the emails said that everything should take about 5 hours (lunch provided, tours, interviews). Apparently you're put into a little team, and you stay with them throughout the day. I hope this is all correct, because my flight is scheduled such that I NEED to be on the Smartbus by 1:00 pm.

Speaking of that smartbus, is anyone else using it? I checked out the site, and it didn't look like you need to book ahead or anything. Also, does anyone know where you catch the bus at the airport?

1 PM? :eek:

I don't know anything about the smartbus other than the fact that it runs. Sorry!

Yeaah, I know I may need to cut out a little early, but there was literally no other way for me to get home that day.

Yeaah, I know I may need to cut out a little early, but there was literally no other way for me to get home that day.

wait, ur leaving on 1pm friday the 29th?!?! doesnt our interview day start at noon?? did i read this wrong? do u mean ur leavin 1pm sat?? im confused

ah yes i found the 2 tiny sentences about it lol
"For your planning purposes, your interviews, tours, and lunch will take five (5) hours. Upon check in, you will be assigned to a team and you must remain with that team throughout the process. Lunch will be provided. "

wait, ur leaving on 1pm friday the 29th?!?! doesnt our interview day start at noon?? did i read this wrong? do u mean ur leavin 1pm sat?? im confused

Oh god now you're scaring me!! I assumed that since my check-in was at 8:00 AM, that I would be interviewing in the morning. I assumed that when they said 5 hours, that they meant 5 hours from your check-in time?!? Are you all supposed to check in at 8:00 am as well?

My invite says at noon. I guess I won't see you there, Dickvetplease. :(

ah yes i found the 2 tiny sentences about it lol
"For your planning purposes, your interviews, tours, and lunch will take five (5) hours. Upon check in, you will be assigned to a team and you must remain with that team throughout the process. Lunch will be provided. " Today 12:50 AM

Good! I must have missed that! I don't remember the team stuff either. :smack:

Oh god now you're scaring me!! I assumed that since my check-in was at 8:00 AM, that I would be interviewing in the morning. I assumed that when they said 5 hours, that they meant 5 hours from your check-in time?!? Are you all supposed to check in at 8:00 am as well?

oo ok so i guess the day is split into half and they do two rounds of interviews. didnt mean to scare u!! lol well, i guess you wont be in my group but since we could still be classmates i hope you still come to the lobby to chat!

I'm in the afternoon group, too. I didn't notice the part about them feeding us... Yay!

Oh, and don't forget to bring your picture! I got mine from Walgreens.

ohh ok wow, I feel alot better lol. But yes i'll definitely be in the lobby/bar the evening before. I hated just sitting alone in my hotel room the night before my last interview.

I'm in the afternoon group, too. I didn't notice the part about them feeding us... Yay!

Oh, and don't forget to bring your picture! I got mine from Walgreens.

Another picture!!!!! I almost forgot to bring one to my Mizzou interview and it was slightly off in size. Thanks for the reminder!

Another picture!!!!! I almost forgot to bring one to my Mizzou interview and it was slightly off in size. Thanks for the reminder!

my picture is 3in by 2in GRRR its small but u can def tell its a lot bigger than a passport one. dont want to make my IS school irritated so im going to scan it and resize and print out again. such a pain, need photo paper lol

Hi! So I have heard some stuff about the interviews and thought I would share.

Looks like they will be shuttling us to another building (Career Services) to do the actual MMI part of the interview. The vet school doesnt have enough space I guess to accommodate that many people needing private areas to talk. Its a short drive but that might effect how much people bring with them etc.

They are actually going to shuttle us there in buses.

for those of you who live in blacksburg, what is the weather channel saying about the snow? do you know how much? 1 inch vs. 9 inches?

are we doing the tour first then the MMI? or vice versa

I live in NC and am driving up Friday night for my interview Saturday. I am definitely worried about the snow. Not so much about getting there, but about getting home. My car is rear wheel drive so it SUCKS in bad weather.

I've been looking at the weather and it looks like there may be some significant snow starting late Friday night and going through Saturday afternoon. Can't really find predictions of inches yet. The sites I looked at just say "Significant Accumulation." I was planning on driving home after my interview on Saturday but...I will just have to see what mother nature has in store for me I guess. Though I'm pretty sure if I get snowed in there and miss another day at work the office manager at the vet clinic I work at is going to shoot me. Gotta love interview time!

laurauva-If you end up at VMRCVM, you'll be expected to root for the Hokies... Are you okay with that?:D

laurauva-If you end up at VMRCVM, you'll be expected to root for the Hokies... Are you okay with that?:D

lol i still dont know how i will root for the terrapins and hokies at the same time, ahhh When i was in orgo 1, my TA wore a terrapin shirt and a hokie hat and we were all givin him a really hard time. he said he went to VA for undergrad and UMD for grad. at the time i still was mad he wasnt all terrapin attire, but now i totally understand!

lol i still dont know how i will root for the terrapins and hokies at the same time, ahhh When i was in orgo 1, my TA wore a terrapin shirt and a hokie hat and we were all givin him a really hard time. he said he went to VA for undergrad and UMD for grad. at the time i still was mad he wasnt all terrapin attire, but now i totally understand!

Well, Tech doesn't really have a rivalry with UMD... And wouldn't you like to support a winning team for once??:) (My dad and a lot of friends went to Maryland, so I guess I can't be too mean...)

Now, UVA can't play, either, but it's the state thing that matters.

My o-chem professor was at Duke for a while. He always prefaced this by saying that he had seen the error of his ways and was now a Terps supporter. :D

I'm pretty sure the fact that I went to UVA undergrad may have had a little something to do with them sticking me on the alternate list for interviews... jk jk!!!

As for rooting for the hokies.... I may have a bit of a crisis of conscious about that. I will always be loyal to my Cavaliers (wahoowa!) but I think I'll just be so happy to be in vet school that I'll root for whoever takes me!

for those of you who live in blacksburg, what is the weather channel saying about the snow? do you know how much? 1 inch vs. 9 inches?

NPR and the National Weather service say:
FRIDAY-
CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW...MAINLY IN THE AFTERNOON.
LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION.

FRIDAY NIGHT-
SNOW. MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATION.
No inch numbers or anything, but it sounds like it will be after your interviews.

Just FYI when you're in the area, NPR is on 89.1FM. wvtf.org :)

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about football. :yawn: And could not care less.

I have a really great navy blue sweatshirt, old sweatshirt I got from a sister or friend or who knows where. It just so happens that VIRGINIA is on the front in orange. There is also a face on the front with a funny hat. I wear this a lot when it's cold, but I did not realize until relatively recently that I was wearing UVA clothing. I guess I thought it was just a 'my state is better than your state' thing, and that the guy with the hat was some sort of alternative to the justicey woman on our flag. A goodwhile after that, I realized that there is somewhat of a rivalry between the 2 schools. So I get a good bit of grief (light hearted, of course), esp during football season.

I never wear it before or after a UVA/VT football game, and I occasionally pretend to be slightly more oblivious than I am :shrug:.

So, any UVA grads, just be aware of the football schedule if you wear alma mater gear!

Last I heard was something like 4 inches this weekend (ick). Hopefully it doesn't drop that much.

Of course, it should be in the 40s next week so some should melt if we do get 4 inches. After the 18 inches we're all a little paranoid. :p

NPR and the National Weather service say:
FRIDAY-
CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW...MAINLY IN THE AFTERNOON.
LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION.

FRIDAY NIGHT-
SNOW. MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATION.
No inch numbers or anything, but it sounds like it will be after your interviews.

Just FYI when you're in the area, NPR is on 89.1FM. wvtf.org :)

i'm going to bed early tonight so i can wake up and drive tomorrow morning! can't wait to meet all of you there!! im suddenly super excited to start this! i'm looking forward to finally getting it over and releasing all of my anxiety! :banana:

Early?! :hungover: Actually, I'm trying to get on an earlier (i.e., before midnight) schedule, too, although you can see how well that has worked so far. I'm excited, too, but I'm a little nervous about the drive. The longest I've had to drive by myself in one shot was about 2.5 hours, and I'm also scared of the trucks on I-81.

Hey all, still not sure when i'll be getting to the hotel tomorrow, but i'm trying to get standby for an earlier flight. Either way, you should all have my cell number from the PM, so please feel free to give me a call tomorrow evening whenever you're all meeting (did we ever agree on a time?)