Help Deciding Between Different SMP Programs? (Yes...I've reviewed the previous threads!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summercookies11

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!:) I have been reviewing different SMP programs in various threads for a few months now but I am still finding it difficult to make a decision on which school to attend with the best chances. I have been accepted to Rosalind Franklin University in Biomedical Sciences Program, Case Western MS in Medical Physiology, USC Global Medicine, Rutgers MBS Medical Scholars (Newark), Rutgers MBS (Piscataway), Midwestern Arizona MBS and Tulane Cell Biology. Any help would be dearly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

**UPDATED**

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rutgers MBS (Newark) grad here. In my opinion you should go with which ever is the cheapest option that also has strong linkage. Some programs are more established than others, but as long as you're able to take med classes at the associated medical school, they should all be able to serve your purposes assuming you finish with a competitive GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
@DocJuan Thank you for your reply! If you don't mind me asking-how did the Rutgers MBS workout for you? Since I am Canadian, right now I feel like my best options are at either Case Western ($1774/credit) or Rutgers MBS ($1011/credit) in terms of cost and linkage. I know Case is Canadian friendly, even when it comes to their Med School. While the Rutgers MBS program seems structured really well with medical school courses. But overall Case is ranked higher in their Masters programs and with their Med school..but I'm not sure how much this should factor into the decision?. Hence, I'm just not sure which way to go. (...This is why I'm having a hard time making a decision-.-).

Members don't see this ad :)
@DocJuan Thank you for your reply! If you don't mind me asking-how did the Rutgers MBS workout for you? Since I am Canadian, right now I feel like my best options are at either Case Western ($1774/credit) or Rutgers MBS ($1011/credit) in terms of cost and linkage. I know Case is Canadian friendly, even when it comes to their Med School. While the Rutgers MBS program seems structured really well with medical school courses. But overall Case is ranked higher in their Masters programs and with their Med school..but I'm not sure how much this should factor into the decision?. Hence, I'm just not sure which way to go. (...This is why I'm having a hard time making a decision-.-).

I wasn't aware there was a special masters program ranking but if Case western is where you want to go to medical school and the linkage is strong then that'd be your obvious choice. But to most every other medical school you apply to case western reserve isn't going to give you a significant advantage over any other SMP. It's more about your GPA.

Last edited:
@DocJuan That seems understandable! Is there anything you particularly liked about the Rutgers MBS?

Hello!:) I have been reviewing different SMP programs in various threads for a few months now but I am still finding it difficult to make a decision on which school to attend with the best chances. I have been accepted to Case Western MS in Medical Physiology, USC Global Medicine, Rutgers MBS Medical Scholars (Newark), Rutgers MBS (Piscataway), Midwestern Arizona MBS and Tulane Cell Biology. I am still waiting to hear back from Tufts MBS. Any help would be dearly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
If you choose piscataway we will may be class mates! is the RWJMS linkage what interest you about the program?

If you choose piscataway we will may be class mates! is the RWJMS linkage what interest you about the program?
Hello!:) Would love to know fellow class mates early! I know Rutgers (Newark) has a linkage with a guaranteed interview spot (if you meet certain requirements) but I haven't seen much on the Piscataway program! Is there any reason you particularly chose Piscataway? Does it have a similar linkage?:)

Hello!:) Would love to know fellow class mates early! I know Rutgers (Newark) has a linkage with a guaranteed interview spot (if you meet certain requirements) but I haven't seen much on the Piscataway program! Is there any reason you particularly chose Piscataway? Does it have a similar linkage?:)

Actually Newark guarantees an interview for 3.5, piscataway does not. but I personally dont hold giving interviews much weight. piscataway requires: on track to finish program in 1 year, require 3.6 in core classes, 3.0 undergrad, and nomination. But from reading previous threads, 2015 I believe they accepted 6-7 of the class of 60 through the accelerated linkage not bad odds especially since I doubt everyone qualified to begin with. But, overall I like they assign a research mentor for your own independent research and offer graduate committee letter.
Admission coordinator Johanna sierra told me
"About 80% of our students get into the medical school of their choice."
"Last year 10 students entered RWJMS."

Reactions: 1 user
Actually Newark guarantees an interview for 3.5, piscataway does not. but I personally dont hold giving interviews much weight. piscataway requires: on track to finish program in 1 year, require 3.6 in core classes, 3.0 undergrad, and nomination. But from reading previous threads, 2015 I believe they accepted 6-7 of the class of 60 through the accelerated linkage not bad odds especially since I doubt everyone qualified to begin with. But, overall I like they assign a research mentor for your own independent research and offer graduate committee letter.
Admission coordinator Johanna sierra told me
"About 80% of our students get into the medical school of their choice."
"Last year 10 students entered RWJMS."
Thank you for all the information! From what I've gathered-essentially other than the linkage, both programs are the same?

I think classes are different. newark you take the 2 core or possibly a class with medical students (if choosen by admissions) then pick graduate electives based on your track taught by graduate faculty. piscataway has a set curriculum, 1 class (immunology and micro) with the med students, not graded against their cure though, histology, physiology, pharmacology, gross anatomy with dissection, embryology, choose 2 elective, 2 semesters of research capstone project. all classes taught by medical school faculty taken from med curriculum.

Rutgers MBS (Newark) grad here. In my opinion you should go with which ever is the cheapest option that also has strong linkage. Some programs are more established than others, but as long as you're able to take med classes at the associated medical school, they should all be able to serve your purposes assuming you finish with a competitive GPA.

Hello! Sorry for another question, but if you don't mind me asking did you get acceptance into any of the medical schools following the Rutgers MBS?

Hey summercookies11,
Did you end up choosing a school? Also, do you know anyone who enrolled in Rosalind Franklin Universitie's BMS program?