"Help Me Rank" IM 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I have a general question: Would going to OHSU/Colorado over programs like Penn/Columbia/Duke/Vanderbilt close any doors? I would eventually like to do my fellowship (GI vs ID vs Rheumatology vs Allergy/immunology) in Northern California and unfortunately UCSF/Stanford are the only two academic centers in the area... :( Also have some interests in global/public health.

OHSU/colorado are great programs ....also don't forget about UC Davis

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Guys!

I am a bit confused regarding these few programs on my list. I want to rank them based on (1) reputation/ clinical training, (2) seeking fellowship in Haem/Onc or cardiology (3) Good and supportive environment. No location or weather preference. Any help will be highly appreciated.

My tentative list is as follows:
(1) U Arkansas
(2) Creighton Omaha
(3) U Mississipi
(4) U Arizona - South Campus
(5) UAB Huntsville
(6) Englewood Hospital
(7) Kent / Brown University
(8) Rochester Unity

Thanks

Hey guys! Non-US IMG here, interested in cardiology, this is my tentative list, please help me rank these programs:
  1. UConn
  2. Danbury, connecticut
  3. St peters, new jersey
  4. Brooklyn Hospital Center
  5. Wright Center, scranton, Pennsylvania--primary track but in-house cardiology (2) and 1 gastro, a bit confused here since it is a primary track program and maybe fellowship will be limited to inhouse (please advice if this should be above marshfield)
  6. Marshfield clinic WI-- really liked the program and faculty, great infrastructure but no inhouse fellowships, one or two do match into cards, remote location and cold weather, anyone knows if any they have good research, i forgot to ask during interviews, should this be above Wright?
  7. MetroWest medical center, MA--small hospital, no inhouse fellowship
  8. Loyola MacNeal, chicago
  9. Crozer-chester
  10. Saint Agnes fresno
Thanks a lot guys! Really appreciate anyone's input
Any advice on this guys ?

Members don't see this ad :)
only suggestion...NJMS>AEHN unless u want h1..else lock it...
Hey thank you so much for your response. I have doubts especially how to rank first 3 so I appreciate it. No I am stuck with J visa.
So you agree with my N1 choice, right? I am still hearing mixed reviews about Jacobi ,but I loved it during the interview

Any advice on this guys?

U conn is definitely the top choice for you. As far as Brooklyn hospital is concerned I would keep it lower down the list as residents quoted that getting cardiology was difficult out of that program and moreover you are overworked.

These are my personal opinions, rest it depends on you and you might have had a different experience during your visit and research on program.

Reactions: 1 user
U conn is definitely the top choice for you. As far as Brooklyn hospital is concerned I would keep it lower down the list as residents quoted that getting cardiology was difficult out of that program and moreover you are overworked.

These are my personal opinions, rest it depends on you and you might have had a different experience during your visit and research on program.
Thank you so much, I agree with you on Brooklyn, but I saw a lot of their residents matched in house cards, also please suggest which one would you keep on top--- Wright center (primary track but inhouse cards,) or Marshfield Clinic (good hospital but no inhouse cards and mostly graduates are hospitalists)

Thank you so much, I agree with you on Brooklyn, but I saw a lot of their residents matched in house cards, also please suggest which one would you keep on top--- Wright center (primary track but inhouse cards,) or Marshfield Clinic (good hospital but no inhouse cards and mostly graduates are hospitalists)

I don't have much idea of Wright center and Marshfield clinic.

Hi everyone! I have a general question: Would going to OHSU/Colorado over programs like Penn/Columbia/Duke/Vanderbilt close any doors? I would eventually like to do my fellowship (GI vs ID vs Rheumatology vs Allergy/immunology) in Northern California and unfortunately UCSF/Stanford are the only two academic centers in the area... :( Also have some interests in global/public health.

Possibly. Especially for GI. Program name matters, all else being equal it gives you an edge. Especially if you have a specific fellowship location in mind, and that location is competitive California. If you said you wanted to do GI fellowship anywhere, then probably name matters less.

hi there can anyone help me with the ranking of these programs. Non US IMG interested in GI and H1b visa.

Case metrohealth (in house GI match, usually takes one of their own, H1B visa sponsored, not a huge fan of Cleveland)
Einstein Philly (in house GI match, H1B visa sponsored, love Philly, definitely works you hard)
Mount Auburn (love the location and vibe, a bit "Cush", no fellowships, can rotate at other big Boston hospitals, not sure what visa sponsored?)
Jacobi (very good fellowship match, no in house GI, works very very hard, H1b visa sponsored, not a fan of NYC and residents seemed very tired)
Cleveland Clinic Florida (love the hospital and location, in house GI, H1B visa sponsored, very very happy residents)
Cook county (love Chicago, in house GI, H1B visa sponsored, work veryyyyy hard according to residents)

Hello Guys!

I am a bit confused regarding these few programs on my list. I want to rank them based on (1) reputation/ clinical training, (2) seeking fellowship in Haem/Onc or cardiology (3) Good and supportive environment. No location or weather preference. Any help will be highly appreciated.

(1) U Arkansas
(2) Creighton Omaha
(3) U Mississipi
(5) UAB Huntsville
(6) Englewood Hospital
(8) Rochester Unity

Thanks
Any insights guys? @rokshana @gutonc @fasteddie911 @obiwan @cabergoline2

Hello Guys!

(1) U Arkansas
(2) Creighton Omaha
(3) U Mississipi
(5) UAB Huntsville
(6) Englewood Hospital
(8) Rochester Unity

Thanks

Based on minimal knowledge of the programs on your list, I would rank UAMS/UMiss at the top as traditional academic medical centers (UAMS is a bit smaller program so how important that is to you) > Creighton (would assume that they play second fiddle to Nebraska as the big training program in town) > Arizona and then the rest based on drawing numbers out of a hat

Hey thank you so much for your response. I have doubts especially how to rank first 3 so I appreciate it. No I am stuck with J visa.
So you agree with my N1 choice, right? I am still hearing mixed reviews about Jacobi ,but I loved it during the interview

Jakobi has one of the best cardiology matches in NYC and actually look a lot better than that of Montefiore. The Hem-onc matches are decent but not comparable to cardio. They are rarely successful in placing people to GI... If u will go for J-Visa I suggest Rutgers NJMS > Jakobi > AEHN . NJMS is a traditional university program that is img friendly. They have a remarkable placement record as well... If you want to leave the option of GI open than rank AEHN > Jakobi.. Einstein is a strong community program with excellent track record for GI and Hem onc...

In a nutshell , if u are sure u don't want GI , NJMS > Jakobi > AEHN..
if u might want GI , NJMS > AEHN > Jakobi

Members don't see this ad :)
US MD interested in remaining a hospitalist or specializing in GI. How should I rank the following programs? I'm not from the east coast, so hard to know which are good:

RWJ, Hackensack, VCU, Temple, Wake Forest, GW, INOVA Fairfax,

US MD interested in remaining a hospitalist or specializing in GI. How should I rank the following programs? I'm not from the east coast, so hard to know which are good:

Is that your rough order?

Why would you have Hackensack above university programs...do they even have GI as a fellowship there?

For hospitalist ,order is not important...

For GI

Wake==VCU >RWJ>/= Temple > GW > rest

Hackensack is a new medical school and a swanky hospital with a huge faculty...However they are a new entrant in the GME business...10 years down the line I won't be surprised if they break into top 30 (there are a few other places in the country that I suspect will join the "elite club" ,and some currently elite will be downgraded)… but for now it's not quite there and should be treated as a good "community" program....

Last edited:
Is that your rough order?

Why would you have Hackensack above university programs...do they even have GI as a fellowship there?
It's not an order, I was asking what the order should be.
For GI

Any rational for why VCU is above places like Temple and GW? I though it was considered to be a "lower-ranked" program,based on the IMGs and DOs there at least.

Any rational for why VCU is above places like Temple and GW? I though it was considered to be a "lower-ranked" program,based on the IMGs and DOs there at least.
Then please put it in some sort of order to be able to give some advice.

MCV isn’t particularly FMG friendly...they take those Cornell -Qatar students but not much else...they probably take the DO students from the DO school in va but otherwise probably not that DO friendly either.

Last edited:
My rought ROL would have been Wake > Temple =/> GW > RWJ >> VCU > Hackensack = INOVA
I’ll defer to cabergoline for gi recs

Otherwise for just the IM residency I would probably switch RWJ and MCV and put INOVA over Hackensack
Not sure what impact the loss of Hahnemann is going to have on temple , both resident and patient wise...the program there has been pretty good about protecting their residents from overwork and hopefully they still do.

For hospitalist ,order is not important...

For GI

Hackensack is a new medical school and a swanky hospital with a huge faculty...However they are a new entrant in the GME business...10 years down the line I won't be surprised if they break into top 30 (there are a few other places in the country that I suspect will join the "elite club" ,and some currently elite will be downgraded)… but for now it's not quite there and should be treated as a good "community" program....

When you say Hackensack- do you mean all the Hackensack hospitals (jersey shore, palisades) or just the main one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get this information? Did you gather all this during your interview day or do you know current residents at Hack?

10 years seems like a fairly short amount of time to change the reputation/perception of a program. It has been 10+ years since I applied to residency and its still the same programs that are considered top tier

1. Can anyone please help with fellowship match rates for wright center, scranton.
2. Also does residency at a large primary care program with in house fellowships limit our chances to that program only,
3. does this program takes preference over a categorical program with mostly hospitalist graduates,

your inputs are really appreciated

Visa-requiring IMG (J1 only) considering subspecialty training.

UMiami vs Cleveland Clinic vs UPMC vs Kansas University vs University of Kentucky.

I would like your opinion regarding the programs as a whole. Please disregard city and weather. Thank you!
Miami weather is undefeated

Where did you get this information? Did you gather all this during your interview day or do you know current residents at Hack?

I am about to start my fellowship... I know faculty and management at Hackensack closely...Having said that I have no dog in the fight and won't make a dime of money posting here...I again reiterate .. it's a new program and still years from achieving maturity...it may be a great place many years down the line...

Reactions: 1 users

PDs are more open to rank strong IMGs high... some people consider them to be strong assets... img/DO counting is hardly the gold standard in assessing program strength ...

VCU has one of the strongest GI divisions in the country... GW has a weak GI division..My ROL was from the GI perspective...

I am about to start my fellowship... I know faculty and management at Hackensack closely...Having said that I have no dog in the fight and won't make a dime of money posting here...I again reiterate .. it's a new program and still years from achieving maturity...it may be a great place many years down the line...

There are currently no fellowships at Hackensack. Unless you mean you are starting fellowship at Rutgers NJMS and will be doing a couple rotations at HUMC?

PDs are more open to rank strong IMGs high... some people consider them to be strong assets... img/DO counting is hardly the gold standard in assessing program strength ...

VCU has one of the strongest GI divisions in the country... GW has a weak GI division..My ROL was from the GI perspective...
Appreciate the input! I'm glad to hear that in concrete terms, it's an awkward question to ask your own faculty! Do you have any advice about what to look for in a program to judge its strength in a given field?

What about the following? For GI (or just overall strong gen med training)

Mt Sinai > Case Western > Brown >/= UNC > Hopkins (Bayview) > Georgetown > Univ of Maryland > Temple

Miami weather is undefeated
Pitt >CCF>Miami >Kentucky==kansas
There are currently no fellowships at Hackensack. Unless you mean you are starting fellowship at Rutgers NJMS and will be doing a couple rotations at HUMC?

I am starting fellowshing in different region....I am not related to Hackensack in anyway except that I do know a lot of people there...

Mt Sinai > Case Western > Brown >/= UNC > Hopkins (Bayview) > Georgetown > Univ of Maryland > Temple
Sinai AND UNC are the best 2 here..

Sinai AND UNC are the best 2 here..
I placed UNC lower purely because I didn't really like Chapel Hill. How about the programs past UNC (i.e Bayview, GT, UMMD, and Temple). Anything you'd note about then from a GI perspective?

I placed UNC lower purely because I didn't really like Chapel Hill. How about the programs past UNC (i.e Bayview, GT, UMMD, and Temple). Anything you'd note about then from a GI perspective?

national reputation and prestige id say bayview/umd/gtown are close enough and temple not far behind.

cant specifically speak to GI though....

Guys, Which one should be ranked higher for IM
need visa
aiming for cardiology

-Wright Center, Scranton or Marshfield clinic, Wisconsin

Hello everyone. I am a US DO and was hoping some of the experienced folks here can help me with my rank list. I would like to ideally receive the best training I possibly can and be in a friendly, collegial environment during residency. My ultimate goal is to complete a fellowship either on cardiology or GI (haven't made a decision yet). I also would like to potentially stay in academia as well (conduct research and teach).

1 - Indiana University
2 - University of Cincinnati
3 - University of Illinois at Chicago
4 - Henry Ford Hospital
5 - University of Texas Medical Branch
6 - Methodist Hospital (Houston)
7 - Beaumont Health (Royal Oak)
8 - University of Nebraska
9 - Medical College of Georgia
10 - Louisiana State University

I am especially having difficulty making a final decision on my top 5 choices. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone. I am a US DO and was hoping some of the experienced folks here can help me with my rank list. I would like to ideally receive the best training I possibly can and be in a friendly, collegial environment during residency. My ultimate goal is to complete a fellowship either on cardiology or GI (haven't made a decision yet). I also would like to potentially stay in academia as well (conduct research and teach).

1 - Indiana University
4 - Henry Ford Hospital

I am especially having difficulty making a final decision on my top 5 choices. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance.
I think your top 5 are in the correct order. UTMB/HFH are a toss up. Nebraska could go higher but it's fine where it is too.

1 - Indiana University
4 - Henry Ford Hospital

Beaumont > UTMB...much stronger cardio/gastro program and a rapidly expanding med school … one of the strongest interventional cardio fellowship in the country....I'd actually put utmb below Nebraska...okayish match outcomes and average cardio/gastro programs.... top 3 are fine....beaumont==hf==houston-meth > nebraska > UTMB...

Hello people, thank you to every single individual helping out other candidates since the beginning of this year's match season. Every effort is appreciated and can make a difference. The feedback people are providing on ROLs is truly valuable and I figured I'd ask for opinions on my own ROL. I am certain that welcoming different perspective will help me make an informed decision. I posted my list late December, but the thread wasn't that active yet and I didn't get much feedback, so apologies for posting again.

Overall, I loved all of them though. Interested in hem/onc.

1. Einstein Medical Center
2. Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida
3. Zucker Staten Island
4. Montefiore Wakefield Campus
5. Cooper University Hospital
6. Mount auburn
7. Lankenau Medical Center
8. Akron General Cleveland Clinic
9. Piedmont Athens Regional

What do y’all think, would appreciate any feedback. Thanks and good luck to all.

Last edited:
I think your top 5 are in the correct order. UTMB/HFH are a toss up. Nebraska could go higher but it's fine where it is too.
Thank you for the response, I appreciate the help.

Beaumont > UTMB...much stronger cardio/gastro program and a rapidly expanding med school … one of the strongest interventional cardio fellowship in the country....I'd actually put utmb below Nebraska...okayish match outcomes and average cardio/gastro programs.... top 3 are fine....beaumont==hf==houston-meth > nebraska > UTMB...
I appreciate the feedback.

hi there can anyone help me with the ranking of these programs. Non US IMG interested in GI and H1b visa.

Case metrohealth (in house GI match, usually takes one of their own, H1B visa sponsored, not a huge fan of Cleveland)
Einstein Philly (in house GI match, H1B visa sponsored, love Philly, definitely works you hard)
Mount Auburn (love the location and vibe, a bit "Cush", no fellowships, can rotate at other big Boston hospitals, not sure what visa sponsored?)
Jacobi (very good fellowship match, no in house GI, works very very hard, H1b visa sponsored, not a fan of NYC and residents seemed very tired)
Cleveland Clinic Florida (love the hospital and location, in house GI, H1B visa sponsored, very very happy residents)
Cook county (love Chicago, in house GI, H1B visa sponsored, work veryyyyy hard according to residents)

Is this your tentative order?

I assume that Hopkins bayview is not true hopkins? In which case, not sure why that's above all the other programs.

I assume that Hopkins bayview is not true hopkins? In which case, not sure why that's above all the other programs.

Among the "non flag-ship" university based programs Bayview is by far the best.. it is "backdoor" to JHH and they spend a ton of time in JHH besides obviously getting research mentorship there... Other such programs are Mount sinai /slr and jakobi… these 2 while being great are nowhere close to Bayview...

Hello people, thank you to every single individual helping out other candidates since the beginning of this year's match season. Every effort is appreciated and can make a difference. The feedback people are providing on ROLs is truly valuable and I figured I'd ask for opinions on my own ROL. I am certain that welcoming different perspective will help me make an informed decision. I posted my list late December, but the thread wasn't that active yet and I didn't get much feedback, so apologies for posting again.

Overall, I loved all of them though. Interested in hem/onc.

1. Einstein Medical Center
2. Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida
3. Zucker Staten Island
4. Montefiore Wakefield Campus
5. Cooper University Hospital
6. Mount auburn
7. Lankenau Medical Center
8. Akron General Cleveland Clinic
9. Piedmont Athens Regional

What do y’all think, would appreciate any feedback. Thanks and good luck to all.
last call!! lol, anyone?

Hi, can anyone help me rank these programs? Below is my tentative list. I am looking forward to pursue fellowship in either cardio or pulm-crit.
Kindly advise. Would really appreciate it!

St. Elizabeth Boston - Affiliated with Tufts*
Marshall University*
Abington Hospital - affiliated with Thomas Jefferson University
Ascension St. John- affiliated with Wayne State University*
Cleveland Clinic Fairview - offers away rotation at Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
University at Buffalo-Sister of Charity
Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas

*offer in house fellowship in cardio and pulm-crit.

Thank you so much. All the very best for this match season!

last call!! lol, anyone?
I think Mount Auburn should be higher. I have heard good things about the program, the program if I am not mistaken is affiliated with Harvard. Montefiore can be lower, since it does not have strong cardio (did not interview there but heard it does not have a cath lab? and resident go outside the program to do cardio rotation, so would not be ideal if you want to go to cardio fellowship in the future). Otherwise I agree with you rank no. 1. No idea about other programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.