"Help Me Rank" IM 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted972898

Saw that this thread wasn't started yet for this year's match. Went ahead and got the ball rolling.

Feel free to post your lists if you'd like outside inputs and opinions. Of course, decision is ultimately up to you.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
1. MUSC
2. VTECH
3. Inova fairfax
4. USC (greenville)
5. UK (lexington)
6. Dartmouth
7. Georgetown
8. CMC (charlotte)
9. ECU

May be interested in subspecialty, but I also think I just want to do hospital medicine.
Want to stay close to family and live in a house (hence low rank of dartmouth and georgetown, respectively).
Hesitant to rank Vtech so highly. Had a good gut feeling and it seems nice, but probably not academically competitive.

what do you think?
Do you mind typing in the full name? It will make the job easier for us =D

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Medical university of south carolina
2. Virginia Tech
3. Inova fairfax
4. U South Carolina (greenville)
5. U Kentucky (lexington)
6. Dartmouth
7. Georgetown
8. Carolinas medical center (charlotte)
9. East Carolina university

May be interested in subspecialty, but I also think I just want to do hospital medicine.
Want to stay close to family and live in a house (hence low rank of dartmouth and georgetown, respectively).
Hesitant to rank Vtech so highly. Had a good gut feeling and it seems nice, but probably not academically competitive.

what do you think?
Why Greenville above UK...Greenville is not the main campus which is in Columbia? UK is full academic with potential for all sub specialties.

Is tech carillon? If so then the are still trying to find their footing as an academic institution...though they have a number of specialties.

Why is inova fairfax so high of gtwn so low because of geography? They are less than 5miles apart?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. FMG interested in subspecialty training, I'd really appreciate some thoughts on this.
How does UConn compare to Rutgers NJMS? Don't mind living anywhere, just interested in finding the best possible program.

Both are great! You won't regret any!

Hi guys,
IMG interested in Endo here.
What do you think about
Albert (Philly) vs Bridgeport vs Norwalk vs St. Elizabeth (Boston).

Would like some work-life balance but then Bridgeport is in a pretty bad area and much smaller than Albert. Any input?

Hi guys,
IMG interested in Endo here.
What do you think about
Albert (Philly) vs Bridgeport vs Norwalk vs St. Elizabeth (Boston).

Would like some work-life balance but then Bridgeport is in a pretty bad area and much smaller than Albert. Any input?
I don’t think any of those programs have endocrine fellowships...but there at Es is tufts affiliated and some of the best endo fellowships are in Boston ...gives you a great chance to meet people if you are involved in the NE Endo groups...NE-AACE, NEthyroid, NE bone...
Einstein may have a fellowship but haven’t really met anyone from there so not necessarily academic.

Reactions: 1 user
Einstein has a fairly impressive endo match over the past two years: Hopkins, CWRU, Jefferson, Baylor, and one in house @ Einstein.

Einstein has a fairly impressive endo match over the past two years: Hopkins, CWRU, Jefferson, Baylor, and one in house @ Einstein.
I’m skewed towards Boston so know more about the programs there...Philly wise know more coming out of penn...

Baylor Dallas is strong in diabetes, Baylor Houston of course has good connections for cancer and there is an oncologic endo sub fellowship there with md Anderson.

Hey guys what are your thoughts about:
1. Lankenau VS Albany
2. LSU Shreveport VS St Elizabeth (Boston)

Members don't see this ad :)
US img interested in Cards or GI and really want to stay in FL : Mount Sinai , Miami beach vs Aventura Hospital

I only went to mt Auburn out of these but too got the same vibe. However, there are people who match into fellowships like you said. It’s just a matter of PC heavy curriculum or not

1- Cooper University Hospital (Plenty of learning resources, University program, Camden is not the best place to live but I've been told the area is pretty safe in the hospital's vicinity) / Einstein Medical Center Philly (Excellent fellowship placement, supportive leadership, heavy program lots of exposure) / Montefiore Wakefield Campus.

2- Akron General Cleveland Clinic (I absolutely loved the program, happy residents, supportive leadership, extremely professional, best interview day I've attended. Akron is a bit quiet but I can adapt. Doesn't look like the affiliation with Cleveland Clinic is directly benefiting the residency program though, or at least this is what I understood from the residents there).

3- Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida (The program has a nice feel, friendly environment, they're adding new fellowships next year which is a plus, we didn't get to see the PD for a long time though, we had a really brief meeting with him).

4- Staten Island University Hospital (Huge hospital, plenty of learning resources, heavy program, salary is one of the highest in the states, close to Manhattan).

5- Lankenau Medical Center (Residents seem happy, they have some really good fellowship placements, it's in a nice area in philly, pays better than other programs in philly but felt like Einstein is more competitive and has a better standing. They did not implement the X + Y schedule yet! Deal breaker for me).

6- Mount Auburn Hospital (The affiliation with Harvard is a plus, I fell in love with Boston but I felt the program is mostly focused on PC, I know they have a fellowship pathway and they genuinely seem supportive of the resident's decision to pursue fellowship, but the whole learning environment felt oriented to PC, which worries me a bit when it comes to my tendency to seek subspecialty).

7- Piedmont Regional Athens (Relatively new program, interview day was a bit weird, felt like the CS exam, didn't really feel professional).

What do y'all think? I would be happy matching in any of these programs. This is a very early draft, I feel like I still need to put a lot of thought into it, but I would appreciate any insight from you guys. There's a high chance I might bring Mount Sinai higher up the list but still processing the idea. Interested in Hem/onc fellowship.

Please don't ask me about my credentials.

Thanks.
I have an Interview at Wakefield Campus and was thinking to rank it in top3 as well. Do you feel that fellowship opportunities are good at that place?

I have an Interview at Wakefield Campus and was thinking to rank it in top3 as well. Do you feel that fellowship opportunities are good at that place?
I still haven't interviewed at Montefiore yet, so my evaluation is still pending. Will update.

Hey guys. FMG interested in subspecialty training, I'd really appreciate some thoughts on this.
How does UConn compare to Rutgers NJMS? Don't mind living anywhere, just interested in finding the best possible program.
I think UConn was very impressive. Their 3 rotation sites puts the total number of beds to 1000+. They matched two IMGs this year at Mayo in Heam/Onc and Gastro. Granted they were both superstars to begin with (must have done something right to attract them in the first place tho), I don't think NJMS has that kind of reputation. At NJMS I heard lots of residents talk about how they lost interest in xyz speciality during residency. That's a terrible sign imho as it speaks to how the residency was unable to support their ambition. I also HATED how NJMS had an IMG-specific interview day. Makes me wonder if that distinction will stick in residency.

What are all your thoughts on Cedars Sinai vs USC (also considering UCI, UCLA Harbor and Scripps Green/Clinic)?

I still haven't interviewed at Montefiore yet, so my evaluation is still pending. Will update.
I was interviewed atMontefiore( Wakefield) and was disappointed to find out that they don't have Cath-lab. Even though residents will be rotating at other Montefiore campuses for Cards, don't you think it is a disadvantage. I want to hear your opinion on impact of a Hospital not having a cath-lab on the quality of training.

Otherwise the program is very good.

Mexican IMG interested in hem/onc
Any thoughts on ranking these programs?
-University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital
-University of Arizona-Tucson campus
-Jacobi Med Ctr
-University of New Mexico
-Rochester General Hospital

I guess I'm emphasizing academic reputation/quality of clinical training and fellowship opportunities over location; heavy Spanish-speaking patient population would be a plus.

@gutonc @rokshana would appreciate your input.

Mexican IMG interested in hem/onc
Any thoughts on ranking these programs?
-University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital
-University of Arizona-Tucson campus
-Jacobi Med Ctr
-University of New Mexico
-Rochester General Hospital

I guess I'm emphasizing academic reputation/quality of clinical training and fellowship opportunities over location; heavy Spanish-speaking patient population would be a plus.

@gutonc @rokshana would appreciate your input.

TBH I think the order you have them listed is probably the best. The top 3 will give you heavy spanish population as well.

Visa-requiring IMG (J1 only) considering subspecialty training.

UMiami vs Cleveland Clinic vs UPMC vs Kansas University vs University of Kentucky.

I would like your opinion regarding the programs as a whole. Please disregard city and weather. Thank you!

1- Cooper University Hospital (Plenty of learning resources, University program, Camden is not the best place to live but I've been told the area is pretty safe in the hospital's vicinity) / Einstein Medical Center Philly (Excellent fellowship placement, supportive leadership, heavy program lots of exposure) / Montefiore Wakefield Campus.

(Still deciding which one of the above is going to be my number 1)

2- Akron General Cleveland Clinic (I absolutely loved the program, happy residents, supportive leadership, extremely professional, best interview day I've attended. Akron is a bit quiet but I can adapt. Doesn't look like the affiliation with Cleveland Clinic is directly benefiting the residency program though, or at least this is what I understood from the residents there).

3- Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida (The program has a nice feel, friendly environment, they're adding new fellowships next year which is a plus, we didn't get to see the PD for a long time though, we had a really brief meeting with him).

4- Staten Island University Hospital (Huge hospital, plenty of learning resources, heavy program, salary is one of the highest in the states, close to Manhattan).

5- Lankenau Medical Center (Residents seem happy, they have some really good fellowship placements, it's in a nice area in philly, pays better than other programs in philly but felt like Einstein is more competitive and has a better standing. They did not implement the X + Y schedule yet! Deal breaker for me).

6- Mount Auburn Hospital (The affiliation with Harvard is a plus, I fell in love with Boston but I felt the program is mostly focused on PC, I know they have a fellowship pathway and they genuinely seem supportive of the resident's decision to pursue fellowship, but the whole learning environment felt oriented to PC, which worries me a bit when it comes to my tendency to seek subspecialty).

7- Piedmont Regional Athens (Relatively new program, interview day was a bit weird, felt like the CS exam, didn't really feel professional).

What do y'all think? I would be happy matching in any of these programs. This is a very early draft, I feel like I still need to put a lot of thought into it, but I would appreciate any insight from you guys. There's a high chance I might bring Mount Sinai higher up the list but still processing the idea. Interested in Hem/onc fellowship.

Please don't ask me about my credentials.

Thanks.
You got a pretty good list going on for you, congrats! Tough decision.

I would personally put Einstein as the top choice. Considering the fact that you are interested in fellowship, I think Einstein has the best fellowship placements in your list, especially in hem onc. The program is known for its competitive reputation. Cooper and montefiore and great places as well, but Einstein wins in my opinion.

As for the rest, I think all of them are good places to train.

Not sure if everyone else agrees but this is what I think.

My goals: independently competent physician, hoping to go in hospitalist or primary care. Fellowship undecided as of now.

(In no particular order)
UAB Montgomery
UPMC Mercy
MSSM Bronx
MSSM Elmhurst
NY Presbyterian Queens
St Mary Medical Center, Long Beach
Baton Rouge General
Texas Tech University, Amarillo
LIJ at Forest Hills Hospital
Naples Community Hospital
Capital Health Regional Medical Center
Maricopa Medical Center

Thank you very much guys!

I’m having a really tough time deciding which to rank higher: SUNY Upstate vs Downstate. I am interested in cards. Does anyone have any insight? Anything help!!

My goals: independently competent physician, hoping to go in hospitalist or primary care. Fellowship undecided as of now.

(In no particular order)
UAB Montgomery
UPMC Mercy
MSSM Bronx
MSSM Elmhurst
NY Presbyterian Queens
St Mary Medical Center, Long Beach
Baton Rouge General
Texas Tech University, Amarillo
LIJ at Forest Hills Hospital
Naples Community Hospital
Capital Health Regional Medical Center
Maricopa Medical Center

Thank you very much guys!

as mentioned in previous years' posts, please put them in order. you must have an idea of which you liked more than others at this point.

I’m having a really tough time deciding which to rank higher: SUNY Upstate vs Downstate. I am interested in cards. Does anyone have any insight? Anything help!!
No personal experience, but looking at their cardiology match, they appear to be relatively similar. Both place people into in-house cards and both send people to other good places (UConn or Cinci to name a few). To me the deciding factor here would be the location. Do you want to live in Brooklyn and get the perks of New York when you are off, or Syracuse (never been there myself). You would have a better idea of the vibe since you went to both but on paper both places appear to do well and similar in regards to getting people into cards (and all other fellowships for that matter)

No personal experience, but looking at their cardiology match, they appear to be relatively similar. Both place people into in-house cards and both send people to other good places (UConn or Cinci to name a few). To me the deciding factor here would be the location. Do you want to live in Brooklyn and get the perks of New York when you are off, or Syracuse (never been there myself). You would have a better idea of the vibe since you went to both but on paper both places appear to do well and similar in regards to getting people into cards (and all other fellowships for that matter)
Or the cons of living in Brooklyn...cost of living, traffic, cost of living...

Or the cons of living in Brooklyn...cost of living, traffic, cost of living...
Agreed, I just assumed the cons were obvious haha. Personally, I would not choose to live in New York. Too big for me

Visa-requiring IMG (J1 only) considering subspecialty training.

UMiami vs Cleveland Clinic vs UPMC vs Kansas University vs University of Kentucky.

I would like your opinion regarding the programs as a whole. Please disregard city and weather. Thank you!
Any ideas?

Any ideas?

If it's the real UPMC (and not one of the many community programs with UPMC in the name), then it would be the most "prestigious", followed by U Miami/Jackson Memorial, then probably either U Kentucky or Cleveland Clinic depending on who you ask.

Any of those will set you up well for fellowships and academic careers. The differences should be obvious--fairly different cities and knowing that at UMiami speaking Spanish will make your life much much easier.

Personally I'd rather be in Miami where it's currently beach weather than the Midwest, but that's just me.

Any ideas?
I would say CCF = UPMC in regards to prestige and fellowship match (both are amazing institutions)
IDK anything about miami but UofK is also a great place. The program does well with fellowship, offers all in-house as well. Awesome PD and hospital. Fun city and great weather.

Honestly, you couldn't go wrong with any of them. Pick based on location and vibe.

as mentioned in previous years' posts, please put them in order. you must have an idea of which you liked more than others at this point.

I'm sorry... Makes sense.

1) Maricopa
2) UAB Montgomery
3) UPMC Mercy
4) NY Presbyterian Queens
5) MSSM Bronx
6) Baton Rouge
7) MSSM Elmhurst
8) Texas Tech Amarillo
9) St Mary Medical Center, Long Beach
10) Naples Community Hospital
11) Capital Health Regional, NJ
12) LIJ at Forest Hills

Thank you very much

Cleveland Clinic is a great place but mostly a fellow and attending run institution like the Mayo Clinic. If you go there and excel clinically and research wise you will have a chance at staying for fellowship, and all of their fellowships are great. But I don't see the strength of their residency training program in traditional domains such as autonomy being on the same tier as UPMC or Jackson, which are more resident run institutions. Cleveland is also Cleveland. Jackson has a more gritty community feel like Grady in Atlanta where you will learn hands on. All three are great places.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am an IMG with a strong interest in HemeOnc later. Any help with my rank list would be really appreciated!

1. St Vincent Hospital Worcester
2. UB sisters of charity, Buffalo, NY
3. St Luke's hospital, Chesterfield, Missouri
4. Texas Tech Amarillo
5. Advocate Illinois Masonic center, Chicago
6. McHenry Centegra
7. Overlook medical center, Summit, NJ

Hey guys, do you think having EPIC vs Cerner as an EMR should be a factor to consider in our ranking? I've never used Cerner, only EPIC. So I don't know if having either one of them could be a deal breaker/maker for the ROL. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Hey guys, do you think having EPIC vs Cerner as an EMR should be a factor to consider in our ranking? I've never used Cerner, only EPIC. So I don't know if having either one of them could be a deal breaker/maker for the ROL. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
EMR can make a big difference, so yes it should be A factor, but not THE factor...once out in the real world, you will have to get used to whatever EMR your group uses... So if all things are equal and the only difference is EPIC vs Cerner...pick EPIC.

EMR can make a big difference, so yes it should be A factor, but not THE factor...once out in the real world, you will have to get used to whatever EMR your group uses... So if all things are equal and the only difference is EPIC vs Cerner...pick EPIC.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Anyone interviewed at Hackensack- jersey shore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about Meditech vs Cerner/EPIC?

So I thought Columbia was high on my list, but I interviewed and the residents actually seem pretty unhappy. Is it really worse than other big NY hospitals?

US MD from east coast, some family in the west and tempted to move west
Can someone help me out? Will training differ much between these programs or will I be well prepared for either hospitalist or fellowship from all of the programs? Looking to go into academics

Top 4 (sorta tied so the order is not exact)
1. Mayo AZ - perfect outdoor activity scene, year-round perfect weather, really clicked with residents, research support and funding is great
2. Colorado - perfect schedule, great outdoors and great people, strong fellowship match, seemed like phenomenal training
3. Utah - seemed rigorous, outdoor activities within walking distance, great people
4. Wake Forest - ocean, mountains, solid training, COL is the best, great fellowship match

The rest:
MUSC
U of Kentucky
Virginia Commonwealth
U of Louisville

Hey guys! What's your opinion? Non-US IMG, interested in cards and gi.

1. Beaumont RO
2. Westchester medical center
3. Lankenau
4. Albany medical center
5. LSU Shreveport
6. St Elizabeth (Boston)
7. UMMC Midtown
8. Danbury
9. Texas Health Presbyterian
10. Lincoln medical center
11. St Peter University Hospital (NJ)
12. St Francis medical center

US MD from east coast, some family in the west and tempted to move west
Can someone help me out? Will training differ much between these programs or will I be well prepared for either hospitalist or fellowship from all of the programs? Looking to go into academics

Top 4 (sorta tied so the order is not exact)
1. Mayo AZ - perfect outdoor activity scene, year-round perfect weather, really clicked with residents, research support and funding is great
2. Colorado - perfect schedule, great outdoors and great people, strong fellowship match, seemed like phenomenal training
3. Utah - seemed rigorous, outdoor activities within walking distance, great people
4. Wake Forest - ocean, mountains, solid training, COL is the best, great fellowship match

The rest:
MUSC
U of Kentucky
Virginia Commonwealth
U of Louisville

I would rank your first four in this order: Colorado, Utah (both phenomenal programs) Wake Forest, Mayo AZ (weakest in my opinion- I personally went there are was not at all impressed)

Not sure about the rest!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.