Help me ranking!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dexter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is the most frequent request during these days, but I'm trying to do my best on the match day. I'd like a Cardiology fellowship in the future, and my top 4 choices for internal medicine are:
-Einstein/Jacobi
-Ford, Detroit
-U. of Arizona
-U. of Missouri, Columbia
Help will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a fellowship, I would go with the strongest medicine program and a place where you can get good research done. I would rank
1. U of Missouri, Columbia
2. Einstein/Jacobi
3. U of Arizona
4. Ford, Detroit

JHUgirl said:
If you want a fellowship, I would go with the strongest medicine program and a place where you can get good research done. I would rank
1. U of Missouri, Columbia
2. Einstein/Jacobi
3. U of Arizona
4. Ford, Detroit

Thank you for taking the time to review my ROL. Your opinion is very useful because Ford appears better ranked in US News in almost all specialties than Einstein and Missouri, so I was not sure if it's more important a strong community based program or a not so strong but University based program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dexter said:
I know this is the most frequent request during these days, but I'm trying to do my best on the match day. I'd like a Cardiology fellowship in the future, and my top 4 choices for internal medicine are:
-Einstein/Jacobi
-Ford, Detroit
-U. of Arizona
-U. of Missouri, Columbia
Help will be appreciated.

Im currently a very happy UA-IM PGY-2, killing time reliving my days of the nervous MS4 wondering where to go, now in the same shoes with fellowship.
As you know Cardiology is one of the most competetive subspecialties. Before even deciding where to go first really make sure you have solid reasons/interest in the field and truly know about it. Obviously go to a program with a Cards fellowship, with reputable faculty to maximize your exposure with good mentors who can get you into a fellowship. Next, I recommend that you use some of that free time as a fourth year to get involved in some research asap, because before you know it you will be applying to fellowships and believe me, internship, no matter where you go is a blur.
Why I would rank UA #1:

-very strong cardiology training both at UMC and VA
-we have a reputable/competetive(cush :) ) cards fellowship, like to take UA residents
-reputable and very approachable cards faculty, most notably...
Joeseph Alpert, our medicine chair as well as Editor-in-Chief of American Journal of Medicine with many connections, the nicest guy, and can write a killer letter.
Others include...
Gordon Ewy
Steven Goldman
Karl Kern

-Tucson is a nice place to live

Just my two cents...

Dexter said:
Thank you for taking the time to review my ROL. Your opinion is very useful because Ford appears better ranked in US News in almost all specialties than Einstein and Missouri, so I was not sure if it's more important a strong community based program or a not so strong but University based program.

Go with a university (academically oriented) program, I find that rankings are irrelevant.

Thanks for your post Anthony. That's the main issue not only me, but someone else has in another thread: How important is the "University based" status of the residency program at the time of applying to Cards? By the way, How would you rank the other programs? (Einstein/Jacobi Vs U. Missouri?)

Dexter said:
Thanks for your post Anthony. That's the main issue not only me, but someone else has in another thread: How important is the "University based" status of the residency program at the time of applying to Cards? By the way, How would you rank the other programs? (Einstein/Jacobi Vs U. Missouri?)

It would be arbitrary given how much I know about them.

Dexter said:

At the level of fellowship, when considering the non university programs I guess you have to judge them on more of an individual basis. It then comes down to what kind of practice environment you're seeking. If you're really into research, and/or want to practice in an academic environment, then University Based would be preferable. If you want to be strictly a clinician and make the big bucks then community based program would be fine.