Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have worked with thousands of DAT and OAT students through the years, and one question I get asked over and over is: What study schedule should I follow?
One of the biggest mistakes I see students make is trying to follow a study schedule created by someone else.
No one else knows your schedule. They don't know how many hours you have available each day, whether you're working or going to school, what subjects are your strongest and weakest, or exactly when you plan to take your exam.
I always encourage students to make their own study schedule. Build a schedule around your own circumstances and make it flexible enough that you can easily adjust it when needed.
Another common mistake is becoming so committed to a predetermined timeline that you take the DAT or OAT before you are fully prepared. Your test date should work with your preparation, not dictate it.
The goal should be to prepare to take the exam one time and walk into the testing center fully prepared.
For DAT students, I tell them to prepare with the goal of a 600. For OAT students, aim for a 400. Will most students achieve the maximum score? Of course not, and you certainly don't need a perfect score to be successful. But your goal during preparation should always be to do the very best you possibly can.
Don't let someone else's calendar determine when you're ready.
Build your own schedule. Adjust it when necessary. And take the DAT or OAT when your preparation tells you that you're ready and not simply because a study schedule says it's time.
For a more detailed guide, including DAT and OAT considerations, signs you may not be ready for test day, and what to do if you fall behind, you can read the complete article here:
DAT and OAT Study Schedule: How to Build a Realistic Plan
https://orgoman.com/blogs/dental-admissions-test-and-road-to-dental-school-acceptance/dat-and-oat-study-schedule-how-to-build-a-realistic-plan-dat-destroyer-oat-destroyer-dr-romano
Hope this helps.
Nancy
DAT Destroyer and OAT Destroyer
Last edited: