University of Illinois C/O 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something - I got my Zoom interview time and the Youtube tour link, but are there any general informational sessions scheduled for interviewees? I feel like I read about something like that being offered in previous year's threads, but I don't see anything for this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck with your interviews everyone!
Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something - I got my Zoom interview time and the Youtube tour link, but are there any general informational sessions scheduled for interviewees? I feel like I read about something like that being offered in previous year's threads, but I don't see anything for this year?
They had informational sessions the past couple years over zoom the day of the interview. We were informed about these ahead of time in one of the reminder emails about interview day. If you haven't seen anything like that in your emails from them, then I'm not sure what their plans are.

How does everyone feel about the interview? Mine felt so short (20 minutes) but I think I did ok. I was prepared for most of the questions but I never know how much to talk when it’s the kind of interview where they don’t respond to your answers and instead just go to the next question when you finish talking. Like I don’t want to ramble but I also want to make sure I’m adequately answering. 😬

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How does everyone feel about the interview? Mine felt so short (20 minutes) but I think I did ok. I was prepared for most of the questions but I never know how much to talk when it’s the kind of interview where they don’t respond to your answers and instead just go to the next question when you finish talking. Like I don’t want to ramble but I also want to make sure I’m adequately answering. 😬
I just finished too. Mine also felt short, like 15ish minutes, but reading my interviewers was hard. They were smiling and talking with me at the end. I really liked my interviewers though when talking with them at the end. I think I adequately answered everything, but at the same time, it was hard to tell lol

I just finished too. Mine also felt short, like 15ish minutes, but reading my interviewers was hard. They were smiling and talking with me at the end. I really liked my interviewers though when talking with them at the end. I think I adequately answered everything, but at the same time, it was hard to tell lol
Mine was exactly 15 minutes. I agree that reading them was hard. They seemed to be more serious and structured versus conversational. It also felt a little more rushed (perhaps it's because everyone probably has their interview today and there's a lot of applicants to interview). Overall it was ok I feel, but also not 100% confident as I didn't get much facial feedback from them :pompous:

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck everyone! I'm sure you'll do better than you think. Illinois is a wonderful University and I can't wait to meet some of you!

How does everyone feel about the interview? Mine felt so short (20 minutes) but I think I did ok. I was prepared for most of the questions but I never know how much to talk when it’s the kind of interview where they don’t respond to your answers and instead just go to the next question when you finish talking. Like I don’t want to ramble but I also want to make sure I’m adequately answering.

I also struggle with no feedback on questions. I know it’s to keep things fair. But ah it feels so unnatural.

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone who's interviewed, so it's pretty short? I had a computer error and missed mine and now mine is scheduled 20 minutes before my biochem exam 🙃 but if it's only 15-20 minutes I can do it.

• Care
For anyone who's interviewed, so it's pretty short? I had a computer error and missed mine and now mine is scheduled 20 minutes before my biochem exam 🙃 but if it's only 15-20 minutes I can do it.
Yeah you should be fine. Mine was 20 minutes with me asking a decent amount of questions so if you only ask 1 or 2 questions you could probably easily keep it to 15 minutes.

For me, they capped it at 15 minutes exactly. Hope it all works out for you!!

Okay thank you so so much!!! That makes me feel much better. I'll just keep it basic on questions lol. Thank goodness

Good luck everyone! I couldn't sign up to act as an interviewer this year due to being overnight tonight. But one of my besties from my class is interviewing and so excited for y'all. We're specifically instructed to not give feedback due to fairness. So don't think anyone is purposely being grumpy; everyone volunteers to do this! So good luck!!

Reactions: 9 users
We're specifically instructed to not give feedback due to fairness. So don't think anyone is purposely being grumpy; everyone volunteers to do this! So good luck!!
Okay I thought I remembered this but then second guessed myself and didn’t post it 😂

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Their website states "All applicants are notified of their status by late-February by the DVM Admissions Office." Does anyone have additional information as to when exactly this may be? Also, how do they share their decision (ie email, phone, mail, etc)?

Their website states "All applicants are notified of their status by late-February by the DVM Admissions Office." Does anyone have additional information as to when exactly this may be? Also, how do they share their decision (ie email, phone, mail, etc)?
Update -- I've done some digging. For others interested, here is a comment from last year's forum: "In 2020 and 2019 they received it the Friday of interviews. Last year it was the Tuesday of the next week." Still, does anyone know how we get contacted?

Reactions: 5 users
Update -- I've done some digging. For others interested, here is a comment from last year's forum: "In 2020 and 2019 they received it the Friday of interviews. Last year it was the Tuesday of the next week." Still, does anyone know how we get contacted?
I was looking into last year’s forum and someone who got accepted said “check your emails!”. So I’m assuming they probably inform us through email instead of a phone call?

• Hmm
The past 2 years they've sent out both email (so we know the decision sooner) and snail mail copies.

I’m honestly so glad everyone said they wouldn’t be very responsive. Had I not known that I would have been second guessing and stressing even more than I was 😂 I got like maybe 4 smiles the entire 20 minutes

I’m honestly so glad everyone said they wouldn’t be very responsive. Had I not known that I would have been second guessing and stressing even more than I was 😂 I got like maybe 4 smiles the entire 20 minutes
Same here! I read these after my interview and I totally thought I blew it… but who knows

• Care
Same here! I read these after my interview and I totally thought I blew it… but who knows
I'm sure you did good!!! honestly even knowing that I still felt like I did bad and have been second guessing all day. But I bet you did better than you thought!

• Care
c/o 2026 interview notification 01/28/2022, interview 02/21/2022 , acceptance email 03/04/2022

Any current students on here want to touch on Illinois’ exotics program / what opportunities they have within the exotics field?
U of I is a great place to be for exotics/zoo med. We have a wildlife medical clinic that you can volunteer at from the 1st week of 1st year till clinics start in 3rd year. You get to triage your own cases at WMC and help with treatments. Doctors are there if you need them, but it is completely student run. I’ve seen a ton of different species such as a crow, mute swan, many opossums, owls, red tailed hawks, box turtles, common snapping turtles, and even more. Aside from this we have a wildlife epidemiology lab that you can work in if you’re interested in research. Tons of students are able to publish before finishing vet school. Also during clinics 1st and 2nd year you have the opportunity to take zoo med. We did a lot of zoo companion work and spent a day at a zoo in Peoria. Currently we have 5 zoo med faculty that work at the hospital and 4 interns/residents, so there’s plenty of people to connect with.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if University of Illinois lets students apply for in-state tuition after their first year?

Does anyone know if University of Illinois lets students apply for in-state tuition after their first year?
You can, but you have to make the difference between out of state and in state tuition as income. The majority of people who do it are able to due to a spouse making that difference. The only person who I know did it without a spouse was a girl who ran her own horse boarding facility that she bought, managed, and lived on.

You can, but you have to make the difference between out of state and in state tuition as income. The majority of people who do it are able to due to a spouse making that difference. The only person who I know did it without a spouse was a girl who ran her own horse boarding facility that she bought, managed, and lived on.
Oh that is an interesting way to do it

Oh that is an interesting way to do it
From a financial standpoint, it makes sense cause then you're contributing to the taxes of the state in a significant manner.

From a financial standpoint, it makes sense cause then you're contributing to the taxes of the state in a significant manner.
Oh for sure! I just don't think I've heard of that exact method being used anywhere else.

Does anyone know when those that were waitlisted to interview may hear back?
Likely not until after they’ve sent out acceptances to the people who did interview. Last year was the first time that I can recall that they even needed to do a second interview day because they were anticipating not filling their class.

Essentially, if you were interviewed Monday as an IS, do you have a strong chance of being accepted?

Does anyone know how their waitlist works? Like if we get rankings if we do get waitlisted? (Preparing for the worst hoping for the best over here)

Essentially, if you were interviewed Monday as an IS, do you have a strong chance of being accepted?

They interview roughly 150 IS applicants for ~75 spots.
They also don't over accept IS students as much as OOS students as more than 80% or IS students accept their seats historically

So we think decisions will be released by the end of this week? I can’t stop constantly refreshing my email!!

So we think decisions will be released by the end of this week? I can’t stop constantly refreshing my email!!
I hope so! I feel like I keep checking this thread and my email every 20 minutes

Hope it’s today! Though Friday’s prob more likely.

Im on the interview waitlist and I am so scared to get inevitably bad news ugh

• Care
Fingers crossed for tomorrow! I can’t sleep! 🤪 Don’t know if I can wait another weekend..

So if everyone who interviewed is accepted or waitlisted and they had to interview more people last year, does that mean that last year everyone who originally interviewed was eventually accepted?

Last edited:
So if everyone who interviewed is accepted or waitlisted and they had to interview more people last year, does that mean that last year everyone who originally interviewed was eventually accepted?
The other possibility is that they ranked everyone between both interview days in one pool.

It's impossible for anyone here to tell you one way or the other.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow! I can’t sleep! 🤪 Don’t know if I can wait another weekend..
Last year the admissions decisions went out at 4:00pm on Friday the week after interviews, which would coincide with tomorrow. That being said, the admissions timeline changes every year so who knows.

I know someone who called admissions on Monday and they said decisions should be out within the next 1-2 weeks 🫠

I know someone who called admissions on Monday and they said decisions should be out within the next 1-2 weeks 🫠
Yep and if they told you the exact date they hoped to have them out and they *weren’t* released that date, they’d have people jumping down their throats for when decisions would be released. Same thing with NAVLE scores. You get a vague timeframe in case it takes longer than anticipated so they don’t have people angry at them. If they’re able to get them out sooner than people are expecting based on the timeframe they’re told, then you have a bunch of people happy they didn’t have to wait longer.

Yep and if they told you the exact date they hoped to have them out and they *weren’t* released that date, they’d have people jumping down their throats for when decisions would be released. Same thing with NAVLE scores. You get a vague timeframe in case it takes longer than anticipated so they don’t have people angry at them. If they’re able to get them out sooner than people are expecting based on the timeframe they’re told, then you have a bunch of people happy they didn’t have to wait longer.
#underpromiseamdoverdeliver

Life lesson number 17494620

That's actually a really good point, thank you for the insight :)