Illinois C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Call them and ask. No one on here can tell you what their policy is and if they’re flexible with the deadline.
Thanks for the advice! I called and they said that it was totally fine (in case anyone is in the same boat as me, they said as long as it is before interview day it should be OK)

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
How are you guys preparing for the interview? Has anyone here interviewed at UIL before and can speak to whether it’s more knowledge based or more like a job interview where they’d like to know about your past experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys preparing for the interview? Has anyone here interviewed at UIL before and can speak to whether it’s more knowledge based or more like a job interview where they’d like to know about your past experiences?
It’s not knowledge based. There’s no right or wrong answer to their questions. Be yourself (as best as you can be even though it’s nerve wracking) during your interview. Here’s my post from the other week with a bit more info about the format of the interview.
They have an info session at I think 2 different times (same info given by the school in both but questions asked by people may be different) but the actual interview is under 30 min (mine was honestly like 10 min and most of the ones where I was on the interview panel were 15 min or so). There’s a panel with I think 3 (maybe it’s 4?) different people (an alumni, someone who works at the school, and a 3rd/4th year student) and they ask you a few questions. They know nothing about your application, just your name. Just be yourself and answer the questions honestly, not just what you think they want as an answer. We care more about *how* you answer rather than you being “right” or “wrong.” You are allowed to ask for a second to collect your thoughts. You don’t have to immediately blurt out your answer after they ask it. You’re more than allowed to take some time to think and formulate your answer.

to send our fall transcripts electronically, are we sending it to “University Of Illinois Urbana-Champaign”?

Reactions: 1 user
Is it best to answer interview questions with examples/anecdotes?

Is it best to answer interview questions with examples/anecdotes?
I've used examples in all of my interviews and so far I haven't been rejected from any! MW and KSU acceptances, Minnesota waitlist, and waiting to hear from Tufts and Penn. Tufts mentioned that they liked my 'real world' experience. So I recommend absolutely using real world examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I honestly don't know how I would have answered without real life examples 😅

Does anyone know if the Illinois interview is more of a conversational interview rather than like MMI/situational?

Anyone know if it is a behavioral type interview? Like "Tell me about a time..."

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the email with my interview time about an hour after the first email with the interview packet.
Good luck to everyone! I’m getting nervous, having a time slot makes it feel more real!

• Care
It's interesting how much new student information is in the packet even though we haven't received final decisions yet. It's making me excited but I'm still trying to keep my hopes realistic!

It's interesting how much new student information is in the packet even though we haven't received final decisions yet. It's making me excited but I'm still trying to keep my hopes realistic!
I was surprised to see first years have their first clinical rotations like second block year 1! That's so crazy to me

I was surprised to see first years have their first clinical rotations like second block year 1! That's so crazy to me
Yeah Illinois has a very unique curriculum! One of the major reasons why it's my top choice

It gives you a nice break after your first quarter and reminds you why you want to be there after 8 weeks of a firehose of information that makes you question everything 😂

• Haha
It gives you a nice break after your first quarter and reminds you why you want to be there after 8 weeks of a firehose of information that makes you question everything 😂
Do you feel like you have learned enough that early for the rotation to be beneficial though?

Do you feel like you have learned enough that early for the rotation to be beneficial though?
In the moment, I loved it. No concern about the fact I only knew about legs.

Now that I'm out in the real world, I don't think it was worthwhile. If we're going to have a semi-accelerated curriculum, I'd rather be like Mississippi where it's 2 years didactic and 2 years clinics in a row.

Reactions: 3 users
First and second year clinics you’re mostly following around 4th years on their cases. You’re not just thrown into having your own patients. Like bats said though, if we’re going to do accelerated, I’d rather have 2+2 since that’s essentially what it’s equal to in the end.
Some of the rotations are things like animal PEs and handling and learning suturing skills which those are definitely beneficial to have learned earlier on

I'm reviewing the packet that came with our emails yesterday. It looks like 3rd year you have to choose between small and large animal medicine and surgery blocks? Is that true or do you do both?

I'm reviewing the packet that came with our emails yesterday. It looks like 3rd year you have to choose between small and large animal medicine and surgery blocks? Is that true or do you do both?
Caveat of 2021 grad, but I did small animal soft tissue, small animal Ortho, equine surgery, and farms (which is both med and surgery)

Some of the rotations are things like animal PEs and handling and learning suturing skills which those are definitely beneficial to have learned earlier on
Those would have been good clinical correlation classes thinking about it

@battie @SkiOtter How do you guys feel Illinois prepared you for practice?
Yes, absolutely. And I even had COVID clinics. But I also feel that way about any of the established schools, tbh. I picked Illinois because it was my only acceptance

@battie @SkiOtter How do you guys feel Illinois prepared you for practice?
I felt pretty well prepared for GP. There’s definitely things I needed refreshers on and not as confident with surgical things aside from spay/neuter, but likely could have been more confident if I had gone to more club wet labs, so that was more of my fault. I’m definitely more of a hands on learner than just being able to read about a procedure and then do it. It was also my only acceptance so that’s also why I went there.

How is everyone feeling about interview day tomorrow? I’m a little nervous but also excited! I can’t believe it’s here already

How is everyone feeling about interview day tomorrow? I’m a little nervous but also excited! I can’t believe it’s here already
Definitely really nervous, not sure exactly what they’ll be asking, but I’m hoping it’s conversational. We shall see 👀

Also nervous, not sure what to expect and I heard the interviews are very short and basically just rapid fire questions since they interview everyone in one day

Not great, considering I was running a fever last night and still have a low-grade one. I'll try to go to bed early and then wake up early enough to load up on meds

• Care
Not great, considering I was running a fever last night and still have a low-grade one. I'll try to go to bed early and then wake up early enough to load up on meds
Also worried about that because I've been sick for a few days. Hopefully you feel better tomorrow!!!

• Care
I hope you guys feel better! Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

If you’re really not feeling good tomorrow morning, I would definitely give them a call and ask if there is any possibility of rescheduling. I know that when I was helping with interviews as a student they did have 1 extra day that they interviewed people who were sick during the normal day (because this was 2021/2022 where covid was a bit more prominent). It’s possible they won’t be able to accommodate a different day, but it’s worth asking if you’re really feeling terrible.

If you’re really not feeling good tomorrow morning, I would definitely give them a call and ask if there is any possibility of rescheduling. I know that when I was helping with interviews as a student they did have 1 extra day that they interviewed people who were sick during the normal day (because this was 2021/2022 where covid was a bit more prominent). It’s possible they won’t be able to accommodate a different day, but it’s worth asking if you’re really feeling terrible.
I felt decent enough so I decided to just bite the bullet and get it over with. Now all I have left to do is wait...

Edit: and good luck everyone that has a later interview!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
anyone unable to get into the info session? I haven't been able to get through the office either

not working for me either, I emailed them just a minute ago. No reply yet.

I think there were some technical issues but it worked when I joined the meeting manually using the meeting ID 83153579171. The password is what's in the email.

Turned down my OOS interview as I will be attending likely my IS. hopefully that will move something along for someone lol. Best of luck to everyone :)

For those who went to the info session this morning was it helpful? How long was it?