About the Ads

lucasrinconr

2+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Same. Does anyone know what’s going to happen for IMGs needing visas ?
My case is even worse, my country does not have an embassy to request a Visa (they closed more than a year ago), so I have to travel to another country to get the Visa, in the meantime borders are closed and planes are restricted, so lets see what is going to happen.

Sep 22, 2019
Matched, but at this point who knows if we will all be able to start on time... Visa services are indefinitely suspended in my country due to COVID-19. Watching this unfold during the last few weeks has felt like a slow painful death.
Yes. This is a very worrying situation for all of us FMGs. As of yesterday, it seems that all routine immigrant and non-immigrant Visa services have been suspended. In such uncertain times, I hope that all of us will still have a residency position waiting for us this year...

Sep 19, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Early match results this Friday , it’s going to be released at 12:00 pm instead of 1:00 pm

Reactions: EcuMD69

IMGhopefulmatch2020

5+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Yes. This is a very worrying situation for all of us FMGs. As of yesterday, it seems that all routine immigrant and non-immigrant Visa services have been suspended. In such uncertain times, I hope that all of us will still have a residency position waiting for us this year...
Yup, matched but in the exact same boat. It's all very uncertain. We just have to wait until Friday and see what the immigration lawyers at our programs can do for us. Hopefully, there will be some solution for us!

About the Ads
Sep 19, 2019
Status
Medical Student
I don't see the great difference an hour will make if someone can enlighten me. Early would be like, tomorrow after 3rd soap round.
I thought the exact same thing literally :1ROFLMAO:

DocSpy332

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2017
Yup, matched but in the exact same boat. It's all very uncertain. We just have to wait until Friday and see what the immigration lawyers at our programs can do for us. Hopefully, there will be some solution for us!
In their text the following is mentioned:
"As resources allow, embassies and consulates will continue to provide urgent and emergency visa services"

If this crazy situation continues, I hope that as long as we will be part of the healthcare workforce we may be able to apply for an "urgent" visa.

rokshana

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah, I was just listening to the news, it seems all non-immigrant visas are suspended even in countries not on the travel ban. IMGs make up thousands of the incoming medical workforce each year, they will have to think of a solution. They can't do without us.
Never think you aren’t replaceable

Sep 30, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Don’t want to get ahead of ourselves here but just thinking out loud for a sec: any chance we get called in to start intern year a couple months early? Would 35,000 new interns help this situation?

Reactions: Bobbbyyyy
OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don’t want to get ahead of ourselves here but just thinking out loud for a sec: any chance we get called in to start intern year a couple months early? Would 35,000 new interns help this situation?
might make it worse tbh

rokshana

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
No...July is already scary enough...do you realize how much supervision and hand holding is required with new interns? It will take time away from patient care at a critical point...

Yes, obviously there are a number of newly matched FMGs that are seasoned physicians in their own countries, but not a vast majority have that kind of experience.

Heck, who knows what it’s going to
Be like in June or July to see if they even allow new interns to start...med students have been sent home from many schools and residents are not seeing covid pts...who knows?

About the Ads
Jan 20, 2020
Status
Attending Physician
any response guys from ECA recent announcement?
i am Canadian temporary residing in the U,S. i dont need a visa, its all about the Ds2019,for us and sign it at the border, i wonder how this new development will effect us

DocSpy332

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2017
any response guys from ECA recent announcement?
i am Canadian temporary residing in the U,S. i dont need a visa, its all about the Ds2019,for us and sign it at the border, i wonder how this new development will effect us
I think and correct me if I am wrong that the alien physician- exchange visitor program is not funded by ECA.

"Is the Department of State asking Exchange Visitor Program sponsors to suspend exchange programs for ALL exchange visitors from ALL countries for 60 days starting from March 12, 2020.

Although the Exchange Visitor Program is not specifically subject to the ECA-funded program suspension, ECA strongly recommends that all Exchange Visitor Program private sector program sponsors follow ECA COVID-19 guidance, including postponing ALL program start dates for 60 days after March 12, 2020. As the State Department has issued a Global Level 3 travel advisory, the suspension applies to ALL countries."

Source: https://j1visa.state.gov/covid-19/

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019
This is such a strange kind of situation. Don’t know if IMGs who require visas should be happy that they matched. I hope the programs are going to consider the impact on visas due to the corona virus situation. Everyone who has matched should be able to start their residency.

• Sad
Reactions: TheFlyingButtress
About the Ads

Doc-Res

5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2014
Matched at my #1 Mount SInai St Luke's !! :love:

****FOR FUTURE APPLICANTS***
If you're currently preparing for your steps, give it your best but work on your entire application, not just your scores. Have experiences that will make you a better physician and applicant. It's important to be a well-rounded and committed physician/applicant.

Step 1: 226
Step CK 233
Step 2 CS: Passed
Step 3 207 or 210 (I can’t remember)
YOG 2015
Green Card holder
No RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
Match 2019- 115 IM, 2 Interviews> UNMATCHED
Match 2020- 150 IM, ~40FM?, Invitations: 21IM(4 Pre-match), 2FM
Ranked 17IM, 1FM > MATCHED!!
Experience:
Year social service in home country
Several externershis in IM
1-month observership at University Hospital
1-year Clinical volunteer in free clinic
More volunteer activities

The difference in my application :
- Step 3
- Better LoRs(I THINK SO!)
- Personal Statement: more concise. describing Why the program, why Internal Medicine, Why me

I was very heartbroken when I found out that I did not match last year but became more determined and continued to work hard. After this, I spent weeks reflecting on why I thought I did not match, how I could have done better, asked for helped and worked accordingly.

Thanks to everyone that helped by sharing their experiences along the way. Best to all of you!

Last edited:
OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Congrats guys! I matched in FM in Pennsylvania at my 4/5th choice. (Glad I applied to two specialties this time)

Congrats everyone! I’ll be running into a few of you who are joining my hospitals’ IM program for sure!

Last edited:
May 7, 2019
Status
Non-Student
Number 1 Jacobi IM-PC track.:biglove::banana:

Sep 22, 2019
For those of us who need a Visa, how would you recommend to proceed? My program sponsors H1b, but in the current climate, a J1 visa is a much safer choice if we want to start on time. I guess I will wait for the program to contact me with the info....

Anyways, congratulations everyone! Whatever the program where you matched, even if it's not your top choice, you are now on the path to becoming an excellent physician!

Jan 20, 2020
Status
Attending Physician
For those of us who need a Visa, how would you recommend to proceed? My program sponsors H1b, but in the current climate, a J1 visa is a much safer choice if we want to start on time. I guess I will wait for the program to contact me with the info....

Anyways, congratulations everyone! Whatever the program where you matched, even if it's not your top choice, you are now on the path to becoming an excellent physician!
i am curious whats ur program ?
i matche into my No1 Creighton

Reactions: EcuMD69
Jan 20, 2020
Status
Attending Physician
I think and correct me if I am wrong that the alien physician- exchange visitor program is not funded by ECA.

"Is the Department of State asking Exchange Visitor Program sponsors to suspend exchange programs for ALL exchange visitors from ALL countries for 60 days starting from March 12, 2020.

Although the Exchange Visitor Program is not specifically subject to the ECA-funded program suspension, ECA strongly recommends that all Exchange Visitor Program private sector program sponsors follow ECA COVID-19 guidance, including postponing ALL program start dates for 60 days after March 12, 2020. As the State Department has issued a Global Level 3 travel advisory, the suspension applies to ALL countries."

Source: https://j1visa.state.gov/covid-19/
hi, thank you for your clarificaiton.
i think it goes for both, they are going to work on the Ds-2019 though, but what happens after ward is wait and see.
Visa exempted countries they do not have a problem how over thier DS-2019 needed to be initiated at port of entry, which is not doable at the time being

About the Ads