IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don’t want to get ahead of ourselves here but just thinking out loud for a sec: any chance we get called in to start intern year a couple months early? Would 35,000 new interns help this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t want to get ahead of ourselves here but just thinking out loud for a sec: any chance we get called in to start intern year a couple months early? Would 35,000 new interns help this situation?

might make it worse tbh

No...July is already scary enough...do you realize how much supervision and hand holding is required with new interns? It will take time away from patient care at a critical point...

Yes, obviously there are a number of newly matched FMGs that are seasoned physicians in their own countries, but not a vast majority have that kind of experience.

Heck, who knows what it’s going to
Be like in June or July to see if they even allow new interns to start...med students have been sent home from many schools and residents are not seeing covid pts...who knows?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
any response guys from ECA recent announcement?
i am Canadian temporary residing in the U,S. i dont need a visa, its all about the Ds2019,for us and sign it at the border, i wonder how this new development will effect us

any response guys from ECA recent announcement?
i am Canadian temporary residing in the U,S. i dont need a visa, its all about the Ds2019,for us and sign it at the border, i wonder how this new development will effect us
I think and correct me if I am wrong that the alien physician- exchange visitor program is not funded by ECA.

"Is the Department of State asking Exchange Visitor Program sponsors to suspend exchange programs for ALL exchange visitors from ALL countries for 60 days starting from March 12, 2020.

Although the Exchange Visitor Program is not specifically subject to the ECA-funded program suspension, ECA strongly recommends that all Exchange Visitor Program private sector program sponsors follow ECA COVID-19 guidance, including postponing ALL program start dates for 60 days after March 12, 2020. As the State Department has issued a Global Level 3 travel advisory, the suspension applies to ALL countries."

Source: https://j1visa.state.gov/covid-19/

Last edited:
This is such a strange kind of situation. Don’t know if IMGs who require visas should be happy that they matched. I hope the programs are going to consider the impact on visas due to the corona virus situation. Everyone who has matched should be able to start their residency.

• Sad
I did not match

but I want to congratulate everyone here. you guys have fought hard to be here. I wish everyone gets into their top choice. love you all

Reactions: 14 users
Good luck everyone who is waiting to know where they are headed! Hoping wherever this Match Day takes us, be what is best for us!
Just minutes to go now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Got my #3 guys!!! Congrats to all of us!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched at my #1 Mount SInai St Luke's !! :love:

****FOR FUTURE APPLICANTS***
If you're currently preparing for your steps, give it your best but work on your entire application, not just your scores. Have experiences that will make you a better physician and applicant. It's important to be a well-rounded and committed physician/applicant.

Step 1: 226
Step CK 233
Step 2 CS: Passed
Step 3 207 or 210 (I can’t remember)
YOG 2015
Green Card holder
No RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
Match 2019- 115 IM, 2 Interviews> UNMATCHED
Match 2020- 150 IM, ~40FM?, Invitations: 21IM(4 Pre-match), 2FM
Ranked 17IM, 1FM > MATCHED!!
Experience:
Year social service in home country
Several externershis in IM
1-month observership at University Hospital
1-year Clinical volunteer in free clinic
More volunteer activities

The difference in my application :
- Step 3
- Better LoRs(I THINK SO!)
- Personal Statement: more concise. describing Why the program, why Internal Medicine, Why me

I was very heartbroken when I found out that I did not match last year but became more determined and continued to work hard. After this, I spent weeks reflecting on why I thought I did not match, how I could have done better, asked for helped and worked accordingly.

Thanks to everyone that helped by sharing their experiences along the way. Best to all of you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Congrats guys! I matched in FM in Pennsylvania at my 4/5th choice. (Glad I applied to two specialties this time)

Congrats everyone! I’ll be running into a few of you who are joining my hospitals’ IM program for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Number 1 Jacobi IM-PC track.:biglove::banana:

Reactions: 10 users
Matched number 3 at an academic/university center near where I live!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys! anyone knowing what should we be expecting now??

Reactions: 3 users
For those of us who need a Visa, how would you recommend to proceed? My program sponsors H1b, but in the current climate, a J1 visa is a much safer choice if we want to start on time. I guess I will wait for the program to contact me with the info....

Anyways, congratulations everyone! Whatever the program where you matched, even if it's not your top choice, you are now on the path to becoming an excellent physician!

Reactions: 4 users
For those of us who need a Visa, how would you recommend to proceed? My program sponsors H1b, but in the current climate, a J1 visa is a much safer choice if we want to start on time. I guess I will wait for the program to contact me with the info....

Anyways, congratulations everyone! Whatever the program where you matched, even if it's not your top choice, you are now on the path to becoming an excellent physician!
i am curious whats ur program ?
i matche into my No1 Creighton

I think and correct me if I am wrong that the alien physician- exchange visitor program is not funded by ECA.

"Is the Department of State asking Exchange Visitor Program sponsors to suspend exchange programs for ALL exchange visitors from ALL countries for 60 days starting from March 12, 2020.

Although the Exchange Visitor Program is not specifically subject to the ECA-funded program suspension, ECA strongly recommends that all Exchange Visitor Program private sector program sponsors follow ECA COVID-19 guidance, including postponing ALL program start dates for 60 days after March 12, 2020. As the State Department has issued a Global Level 3 travel advisory, the suspension applies to ALL countries."

Source: https://j1visa.state.gov/covid-19/
hi, thank you for your clarificaiton.
i think it goes for both, they are going to work on the Ds-2019 though, but what happens after ward is wait and see.
Visa exempted countries they do not have a problem how over thier DS-2019 needed to be initiated at port of entry, which is not doable at the time being

i

agree with taking it safe, but even j1 visa, is questionable now as a canadian u still have to activated your Ds-2019 at a border crossing
i am sure you were a great appicant and u will be an awesome Doc

All my visa Guys, what should we be doing right now?

• Hmm
All my visa Guys, what should we be doing right now?

You will need to be in touch with your program and see what they tell you. Hopefully they will get in contact with you today. My program emailed asking us to let them know which Visa type we are interested in, and that the legal team will stay in contact with us to let us know further steps to take.

I don't think you need to worry urgently about it if you want a J1, since the processing is quite fast for it. Wait for all the necessary info from your program, then submit your statement of need application (there are no more caps in Canada for those, so you don't have to rush to do it today).

You will need to be in touch with your program and see what they tell you. Hopefully they will get in contact with you today. My program emailed asking us to let them know which Visa type we are interested in, and that the legal team will stay in contact with us to let us know further steps to take.

I don't think you need to worry urgently about it if you want a J1, since the processing is quite fast for it. Wait for all the necessary info from your program, then submit your statement of need application (there are no more caps in Canada for those, so you don't have to rush to do it today).

Yea thanks I’ll wait for the program to email me

I matched to my #1 choice. Congrats everyone who matched, this was one hell of a ride! I am glad to have found all of you on this journey.
I wanted to ask if it is okay to contact the program where we matched? or should we wait for them to reach out?

I matched to my #1 choice. Congrats everyone who matched, this was one hell of a ride! I am glad to have found all of you on this journey.
I wanted to ask if it is okay to contact the program where we matched? or should we wait for them to reach out?

i think people are saying wait for them to contact

Staying in Boston :) Anyone else??

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Can't wait to start Allegheny General IM program. Good luck all.

• Love
Matched at my #1. Good luck to you all and I hope the ECFMG manages to advocate for us visa-needing applicants.

• Love
Did anyone match at UT Memphis or Albert Einstein Philadelphia?

Good PGY1 salary but high cost of living
I know, it's an expensive city but I love it, I am living in Boston already and I don't even have to move out of my apartment so I am really happy :)

Reactions: 2 users
Matched at my #1 Allegheny General Hospital!!!! So thankful.
For those of us needing visa, things will pan out.

Matched at University of Oklahoma! Woohoo!

Reactions: 2 users
Are we supposed to receive an email from the program we matched at?