In-State Tuition for Out of State Student???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cannaday03

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I was just curious as to if any knew the answer to this question: Does Tufts, Cornell, or UPenn give in-state tuition to Rhode Islanders?

I've heard if the state you live in doesn't have a veterinary school, then some graduate schools allow you to have this option. (Or you have to qualify for it?..not too sure on that either)

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

So I was just curious as to if any knew the answer to this question: Does Tufts, Cornell, or UPenn give in-state tuition to Rhode Islanders?

I've heard if the state you live in doesn't have a veterinary school, then some graduate schools allow you to have this option. (Or you have to qualify for it?..not too sure on that either)

Thanks! :)
If you are looking for IS tuition, I think your best bet would be to try to apply to schools that allow you to switch to IS residency after one year of vet school. The ones that come to mind are Ohio State, Mizzou, and North Carolina State. I think there might be one or two more?

If you are looking for IS tuition, I think your best bet would be to try to apply to schools that allow you to switch to IS residency after one year of vet school. The ones that come to mind are Ohio State, Mizzou, and North Carolina State. I think there might be one or two more?
Davis, I believe.

ETA: Scratch that, but they say they offer a ton of scholarships and award money, which supposedly brings the actual tuition down to 25k per year for OOS students, on average.

Last edited:
Oh okay. I didn't know that was an option. Thanks! I'll have to look into those as well :)

Doesn't WSU also offer IS residency after the first year?

Oh yes, that's what it was.

After looking at their website, it's only for those who are going to be at the Pullman campus all 4 years though (some students spend their first two years in Utah).

Minnesota also has the option, but it may be going away and apparently it isn't a very sure thing that you'll actually be granted the residency switch.

Only if you attend the Pullman campus I believe. If you're out of state at the other two it's OOS tuition all four years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Davis, I believe.

ETA: Scratch that, but they say they offer a ton of scholarships and award money, which supposedly brings the actual tuition down to 25k per year for OOS students, on average.
Has this changed, then? Because I recall being told a year ago that I could get in-state tuition after 1 year. But I do have a memory like a leaky cauldron, so maybe that's not correct.

Has this changed, then? Because I recall being told a year ago that I could get in-state tuition after 1 year. But I do have a memory like a leaky cauldron, so maybe that's not correct.
I couldn't find anything on their website about it, it wasn't in the "factors when picking a school" list, and that admin that was around during this past cycle didn't mention it either, although they did mention the scholarships. I feel like if it was a thing, they would have brought it up. But idk.

See, I had it in my mind for some reason that you could get instate tuition after one year there also... Not really sure where I got that from. Will take a look around.

I couldn't find anything on their website about it, it wasn't in the "factors when picking a school" list, and that admin that was around during this past cycle didn't mention it either, although they did mention the scholarships. I feel like if it was a thing, they would have brought it up. But idk.
Odd. Well, I suppose if anyone is interested in davis and is OOS, it wouldn't hurt to ask the school directly. I also recall it not being well-advertised when I applied, but it was mentioned at interview day. Who knows.

See, I had it in my mind for some reason that you could get instate tuition after one year there also... Not really sure where I got that from. Will take a look around.
I also had it in my mind that you could. I just couldn't confirm it :shrug:

I also had it in my mind that you could. I just couldn't confirm it :shrug:

Great minds think alike! :D I'm having a hard time finding anything specifically stating that as well. I might just go ahead and email them about it.

Great minds think alike! :D I'm having a hard time finding anything specifically stating that as well. I might just go ahead and email them about it.

Yes, after one year at Davis you can convert to in-state resident status.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! sometimes if you consider a combined program, you might have the opportunity to declare residency in that state. For example, at CSU, DVM/PhD students declare colorado residency their first year, and for veterinary school, you are considered an in-state student. DVM/MPH students do something like this too I believe. I think that is also similar for combined programs at UC Davis. Furthermore, if you have a genuine interest in research, some schools will pay part/all of your veterinary tuition.... the tradeoff is it is really competitive to get into these programs, you need to have a demonstrated, sustained interest in research, and the programs are long (could be tricky depending on your family/significant others situations). In other words, applying purely for the financial incentive will not do any justice to your application. For UC Davis and Ohio State University DVM programs, I believe you can apply for in-state residency/tuition after your first year.

Good luck applying! :)