Is it too late to submit secondaries to these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bakr89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard back after submitting my secondaries to the nine schools I applied to: ATSU, WesternU, DMU, MWU-Az, MWU, Rowan SOM, MSUCOM, NYIT, and KYCOM.

I have been considering submitting secondaries to other schools as well: KCU, WVSOM, LECOM, UNECOM, Nova, OSUCOM, OHUCOM.

Do you guys think its too late to submit to any or all of these schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know KCUMB fills it's class very very early compared to other schools. I loved unecom but I heard their regional bias is strong, esp. Later in the cycle.

Stats? List is very top heavy...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know KCUMB fills it's class very very early compared to other schools. I loved unecom but I heard their regional bias is strong, esp. Later in the cycle.
Thanks for the heads up! Good to know :)

29 on MCAT (11 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS), 3.30 cumulative, 3.43 science GPA. I am a nontraditional applicant as well...what does top heavy mean?

Just schools with higher averages on Stats and such

You need to apply to schools with averages that are lower than your stats. Of your list, only CCOM and RowanSOM gave me interviews and I have 31 MCAT and 3.7 GPA...I'm also nontrad with lots of ECs. At those schools' interviews, they mentioned that they have plenty of applicants with really high stats and you have to stand out amongst them.

I applied to schools with lower average stats than your school list and received interviews and acceptances to both LECOMs and CUSOM.

When you apply, always have safety schools or schools that have lower average stats. Medical school isnt easy to get into so apply broadly. It isn't early in the cycle anymore, but it won't hurt to submit those secondaries now.

Last edited:
You need to apply to schools with averages that are lower than your stats. Of your list, only CCOM and RowanSOM gave me interviews and I have 31 MCAT and 3.7 GPA...I'm also nontrad with lots of ECs. At those schools' interviews, they mentioned that they have plenty of applicants with really high stats and you have to stand out amongst them.

I applied to schools with lower average stats than your school list and received interviews and acceptances to both LECOMs and CUSOM.

When you apply, always have safety schools or schools that have lower average stats. Medical school isnt easy to get into so apply broadly. It isn't early in the cycle anymore, but it won't hurt to submit those secondaries now.
Wow, OK. I haven't thought of that. Your stats are amazing though. Most of these schools have average MCATs around 26-28. What do you think you could have done that would have pushed your stats further and make you stand out more?

I have been becoming more worried about getting interviews as I am reaching the two month mark since I submitted most of my secondaries....I will submit them then within the next few days. Thanks for your insight!

Wow, OK. I haven't thought of that. Your stats are amazing though. Most of these schools have average MCATs around 26-28. What do you think you could have done that would have pushed your stats further and make you stand out more?

I have been becoming more worried about getting interviews as I am reaching the two month mark since I submitted most of my secondaries....I will submit them then within the next few days. Thanks for your insight!

Well, with medical schools, you need to apply broadly. The ones which accepted me first were the schools with lower average stats. I got my CCOM, LECOM-E, and LECOM-B acceptances first week of October, a month after I got my acceptance into CUSOM. I believe it wasn't just my stats, but my well written PS and secondaries that helped.

Trust me, once you get an acceptance, even at a lower school, you start feeling a bit more relaxed knowing that you have at least a backup plan somewhere, even if it wasn't the top DO school. Your list of schools that you applied to seems to have higher averages out of all the DO schools.

CCOM's average is already 29-30 with average GPA's nearing 3.7 (which are both MWU's on your list.) Rowan has a 28 average MCAT, but a 3.6 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA. I'm not sure about NYIT, but I hear they favor high MCAT averages too.

I still haven't gotten any interview invites from Nova, nor PCOM-PA and PCOM-GA.

Also, LECOM's secondary doesn't even require an essay...just payment, so those should be a given in an application process.

Last edited:
Well, with medical schools, you need to apply broadly. The ones which accepted me first were the schools with lower average stats. I got my CCOM, LECOM-E, and LECOM-B acceptances first week of October, a month after I got my acceptance into CUSOM. I believe it wasn't just my stats, but my well written PS and secondaries that helped.

Trust me, once you get an acceptance, even at a lower school, you start feeling a bit more relaxed knowing that you have at least a backup plan somewhere, even if it wasn't the top DO school. Your list of schools that you applied to seems to have higher averages out of all the DO schools.

CCOM's average is already 29-30 with average GPA's nearing 3.7 (which are both MWU's on your list.) Rowan has a 28 average MCAT, but a 3.6 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA. I'm not sure about NYIT, but I hear they favor high MCAT averages too.

I still haven't gotten any interview invites from Nova, nor PCOM-PA and PCOM-GA.

Also, LECOM's secondary doesn't even require an essay...just payment, so those should be a given in an application process.
Thanks! That makes sense. I thought I would be able to pull off a lower gpa given my unique background and experiences. I already submitted a couple more secondaries. Going to work on the rest within the next couple of days.

No, now get off of SDN and crank them out!!

I haven't heard back after submitting my secondaries to the nine schools I applied to: ATSU, WesternU, DMU, MWU-Az, MWU, Rowan SOM, MSUCOM, NYIT, and KYCOM.

I have been considering submitting secondaries to other schools as well: KCU, WVSOM, LECOM, UNECOM, Nova, OSUCOM, OHUCOM.

Do you guys think its too late to submit to any or all of these schools?

Thanks!