Johns Hopkins Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have to say I am so antsy that I'm tempted to call the Admissions office and see if I can find out any info (though it is too late in the day at this point)...... However, I just re-read this entire thread, and it doesn't seem like anyone else has successfully done this so far. Hmph. It's just frustrating, because I know that they met yesterday, and as the admissions director explained it, they just take a few days after the meeting to get the paperwork together etc..... so the decisions are there. Oh well, a little more waiting and hoping, I guess. Good luck......:luck: :love: Let's sweep up those last few acceptances!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am definitely with you Babel, the idea of those letters just sitting there on someone's desk in the Admissions office while we are sweating it out this week is simply too much. I say we stage a daring break-in tonight and liberate the decison letters. I'll handle busting the window if you take care of chloroforming the security guard. I'd do it myself but, based on my performance in organic chemistry lab, that task is best left to someone else...

:)

Hey Everbody waiting for hopefully good news,

This is killing me! Do you guys know when they are supposed to let us know if we/re accepted? It sounds like this friday at the earliest? C'mon JHU I need a reason to celebrate this weekend:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats bubblehead!! I meant to post sooner, but I've been swamped with school work. I got my phone call too, so looks like we might be attending medical school together next year! :)

Awesome!!! I just saw that you had posted in the Hopkins thread on the Allopathic Class Threads Forum - congrats to you too!!! I am definitely going to Hopkins. Let me know when you make your decision!

i too am super-duper anxious. i def follow this thread religiously. i dont think my interviews went too well tho so i am scared to hope for the phone call n then not get it :( but at the same time: it's my DREAM school!!:love::love:

::sigh:: i hate waiting...i'm becoming too paranoid reliving and analyzing my interview :scared: looking forward to the end of this misery. i hope to have another reason to celebrate my birthday next week :D

Good luck all!! :luck:

When I called last week, the word on the street was that the committee for my interview date (Feb 23, a Friday) would meet "late" this week. To me, late feels like Thursday or Friday.

I likewise don't think my interviews went great. For my student interview, I had a cookie in my mouth when my name was called, and I later discovered that I had gotten cookie crumbs all over my face and clothes when I reemerged from the interview. Probably not exactly the image of a Johns Hopkins med student they're looking for.

For those of you that are concerned about your performance during your interviews:

I thought my faculty interview at Hopkins was one of the worst of the entire application process. It had been months since my previous interview, so I was a little rusty, and I felt like my interviewer was not all that interested in what I had to say.

I did, however, feel like the student interview was one of the better ones - the two of us just had one of those conversations in which you feel like you are talking with an old friend.

That being said, I was definitely concerned about my performance during the faculty interview. I was still offered admission. I think this demonstrates that you cannot always tell how the interviewer will rate you, despite your perceived performance.

Hang in there, and good luck!

For those of you that are concerned about your performance during your interviews:

I thought my faculty interview at Hopkins was one of the worst of the entire application process. It had been months since my previous interview, so I was a little rusty, and I felt like my interviewer was not all that interested in what I had to say.

I did, however, feel like the student interview was one of the better ones - the two of us just had one of those conversations in which you feel like you are talking with an old friend.

That being said, I was definitely concerned about my performance during the faculty interview. I was still offered admission. I think this demonstrates that you cannot always tell how the interviewer will rate you, despite your perceived performance.

Hang in there, and good luck!

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine some years back at another institution. Another thing to keep in mind is that interviews are often just another component but they only truly make or break you if you do something to royally screw up in a really bad and offensive/unprofessional way a lot of the times. That same person got in at the institution where she had a bad interview experience but ended up going elsewhere for personal reasons.

When I called last week, the word on the street was that the committee for my interview date (Feb 23, a Friday) would meet "late" this week. To me, late feels like Thursday or Friday.

I likewise don't think my interviews went great. For my student interview, I had a cookie in my mouth when my name was called, and I later discovered that I had gotten cookie crumbs all over my face and clothes when I reemerged from the interview. Probably not exactly the image of a Johns Hopkins med student they're looking for.

I'm confused..... 3/2 interviewee, I assume all late feb/early march friday interviewees are/were reviewed on the same day. When I called a week or so ago, the lady told me 2nd week of april, but couldn't be specific on the date. Other people say they were told april 10? Somewhere else I heard april 13? Ugh, I guess I am just sick of overanalyzing my interview and hoping and praying I get in! (like everone else):)

Hmmm..... well, to reiterate, this is what I remember from my interview day (Fri 3/9, LAST day of interviews): Committee meeting on 4/10, and we would hear by the 15th (the dean said that it takes 2-5 days to process the paperwork b/f they make the calls & mail out waitlists etc.). Well, the 15th is a Sunday, so I presume that means we should hear tomorrow (Fri 4/13 - oooh, I just realized - Fri the 13th! :scared: ), or at the latest, Monday 4/16. Since Bubblehead heard late last Fri 4/6, that's what I'm hoping for.

I am, however, a little confused by rje's post - so, did they say that they were meeting late this week (4/12 or 4/13), or late in the week you called (4/5 or 4/6)? Or is that when they said you would get the call?

:sigh: Well, if anyone gets a call, let us know!!!

Good luck!!:luck:

I am definitely with you Babel, the idea of those letters just sitting there on someone's desk in the Admissions office while we are sweating it out this week is simply too much. I say we stage a daring break-in tonight and liberate the decison letters. I'll handle busting the window if you take care of chloroforming the security guard. I'd do it myself but, based on my performance in organic chemistry lab, that task is best left to someone else...

:)

You're so on.......;)

Sorry for the confusion, Babel. I didn't word it clearly and was watching a rerun of Entertainment Tonight re: the Anna Nicole Smith saga at the time.

I called LAST week, and they said then that "late next week" (which is now THIS week) will be when the committee meets for the 3/23 interview. So that puts us at a meeting date of today or 4/13.

That's all I've got in terms of info.

Sorry for the confusion, Babel. I didn't word it clearly and was watching a rerun of Entertainment Tonight re: the Anna Nicole Smith saga at the time.

I called LAST week, and they said then that "late next week" (which is now THIS week) will be when the committee meets for the 3/23 interview. So that puts us at a meeting date of today or 4/13.

That's all I've got in terms of info.

Thanks for the clarification, rje........ Well, I guess that means we can expect to hear sometime next week - at least I won't be sitting by my phone tomorrow! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i dunno if this happened to anyone else but it has happened to me and i wanted to share......i live in maryland and so getting a call from a 410 area code is not surprising. And usually I don't get a call from random numbers that aren't in my phone book, but this it has happened TWICE. So NERVE RACKING. I have to wait a while to calm down and get over my disappointment :p

thanks for the support and optimisim Bubblehead :D

i dunno if this happened to anyone else but it has happened to me and i wanted to share......i live in maryland and so getting a call from a 410 area code is not surprising. And usually I don't get a call from random numbers that aren't in my phone book, but this it has happened TWICE. So NERVE RACKING. I have to wait a while to calm down and get over my disappointment :p

That is nothing Flabergaber, this afternoon my cell phone starting ringing and I looked at it and it was a 410-955-XXXX number (955 is the first three digits of many of the numbers there). I totally lost it for a second, composed myself, and calmly answered the phone expecting to hear the Dean tell me I was accepted...only to hear an automated recording reminding me that I have a doctor's appointment at the JHH Outpatient Center next week.

For about 1.5 seconds, in my head at least, I was a Hopkins medical student...:(

DId anyone who interviewed on a friday in Feb receive news of any kind yet? (Feb 9, 16, etc)?

DId anyone who interviewed on a friday in Feb receive news of any kind yet? (Feb 9, 16, etc)?

The apparent trend is for phone calls to be made on either the Friday or the Monday following the committee's meeting. Perhaps tomorrow will be the day!

For about 1.5 seconds, in my head at least, I was a Hopkins medical student...:(

yea that's exactly how i felt it too zeff :(
o mann, im gonna be checking to make sure my phone is on every two minutes tomorrow

I...
can't...
take...
it...
anymore...

please...
CALL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :love:

Everybody remember to charge your phone up this morning!

so i called hopkins, they told me that i would get a letter early next week, meaning i'm not getting a call, meaning i didn't get in (i asked them point blank), but they couldn't say over the phone whether i was waitlisted or straight out rejected, i'll keep my fingers crossed that it's the former and that the list moves

so i called hopkins, they told me that i would get a letter early next week, meaning i'm not getting a call, meaning i didn't get in (i asked them point blank), but they couldn't say over the phone whether i was waitlisted or straight out rejected, i'll keep my fingers crossed that it's the former and that the list moves
Sorry to hear the news! BUT as you know JHU's waitlist tends to MOVE, 1/3 of the class usually comes off of it.
P.S. were you a late feb/early march friday interviewee? When did you call them?

Has anyone else hear anything?

hey katlady, im sorry to hear that u didnt get in :(
but the waitlist def does move!! did they say if the letter will tell u whether ur on the high end of the waitlist or the low?

i guess it's too late for me to call now. just wait til Monday...

Does anyone know when they send out letters to people on the alternate list?

I called today, and I am on the alternate list--so, so disappointing. There are apparently well over a hundred people on the list right now, and last year about 40 people were accepted of the alternate list. I hope someone on here got good news today....

and the letters are apparently coming very soon

I called today, and I am on the alternate list--so, so disappointing. There are apparently well over a hundred people on the list right now, and last year about 40 people were accepted of the alternate list. I hope someone on here got good news today....

what number did you call? I thought call in hrs were M-W 2-4 pm?

i interviewed march 9th
and they said i would get a letter early next week
and i couldn't get them to tell me whether i was on the alternate list over the phone, should've used my womanly whiles more, oh well
and the number is 410-955-3184

No phone calls today? Maybe Monday will be the day then!

This wait is...

:hardy:

A couple more days, guys.

Good luck to you all. (and to me, too :laugh: :thumbup: :love: )

No phone calls today?

*sniff* No calls today. I should have called and checked my status. Too late now.... Here's to more nail-biting on Monday! :thumbup:

hey zeff, did they say whether u r on the high waitlist or the low? or whether the letter coming out next week will tell u where on the waitlist you are?

Nothing here. I tried mentally reciting the "watched pot never boils" mantra and leaving my phone in other rooms, but it still didn't ring for me...except for when my mom called.

so... I called too. At about 2 PM, Pacific time.

After taking my name and interview date (3/9), I was told I'd be "contacted" next week. This could mean a phone call right?? Who says "contacted" meaning a rejection letter?? So anyway, I got all excited cause she didnt say "a letter". Then I asked her if she could tell me what the final verdict was but she said she could not, and nobody had been contacted yet. Then as we were wrapping things up, she said something along the lines of "you'll expect something in the mail next week." (damnit!)

But if I have been accepted why wouldn't she just tell me?

And if other people were told they were on the alternate list, does she just not want to break the bad news to me?

So basically I'm a nervous wreck, trying to decipher possible hidden meanings of wording... This is cruel.

I swear if we don't hear anything by monday....

Who knows...

Happy Waiting!

hey zeff, did they say whether u r on the high waitlist or the low? or whether the letter coming out next week will tell u where on the waitlist you are?

No she wouldn't say where I stand on the list (she was very nice about it but apparently they don't tell that info to anyone). She said there was just one list though, not two like there apparently were in previous years. As to the letter coming next week, I don't know, sorry, I didn't think to ask, I was still reeling from finding out I didn't get in

I hope someone got good news today

Can't get too discouraged, about expecting something in the mail. I'm sure people get phone calls and letters too. They have to be as ambiguous as possible. Ugh, this wait is longer than the one to get my MCAT score.

But if I have been accepted why wouldn't she just tell me?

I'm sure they have a very strict policy about this, so I would not read into anything that was said on the phone. I know it is painful, but try to wait it out without torturing yourself too much!

thanks for the info zeff! so if there is only one waitlist i guess that means that it is all the high waitlist and that this year they are just rejecting the low waitlist?

at least it makes the waitlist seem a more optomistic possibility even if it means more waiting :-/

thanks for the info zeff! so if there is only one waitlist i guess that means that it is all the high waitlist and that this year they are just rejecting the low waitlist?

at least it makes the waitlist seem a more optomistic possibility even if it means more waiting :-/

I don't know, maybe there is just one giant waitlist this year?

I just realized, I'm a dope, she told me there are "well over a hundred" on the alternate list, plus the number of acceptances (200ish?), must still be less than the total number of interviews (I don't know this number, but I assume well more over 300)

There will be a LOT of waitlist movement this year. My friend who is at the Welcome Back Weekend received his financial aid package today. He said it was terrible and that most of the students felt that way...

There will be a LOT of waitlist movement this year. My friend who is at the Welcome Back Weekend received his financial aid package today. He said it was terrible and that most of the students felt that way...

Are you talking about Revisit Weekend? That is not until next weekend at Hopkins.

http://www.hopkinsrevisit.com/

I talked to the admissions office on Wednesday to let them know about my address change. After asking my name and interview date, I was told I would hear back within 5-7 days. I did not hear anything about letter, but I do not think we should read much into what they say. I really hope there'll be some good news for us next week.

So I'm guessing there are between 100-200 people on the alternate list, with about 40 eventually coming off. However, not everyone on the alternate list will choose to stay on, and not everyone who gets off will choose to go. If the alternate list in any way mirrors the overall yield for Hopkins (around 50%), then that means that the odds off the alternate list are between 1/3-1/2. Is this a reasonable analysis?

I don't know, maybe there is just one giant waitlist this year?

I just realized, I'm a dope, she told me there are "well over a hundred" on the alternate list, plus the number of acceptances (200ish?), must still be less than the total number of interviews (I don't know this number, but I assume well more over 300)
No, there are two "waitlists", the "low waitlist" is a letter that says you've been placed on a "waitlist", which goes on to explain that historically hopkins hasn't taken anyone off that list.

What people on SDN call the "high waitlist" is what hopkins calls the "alternate list". When receiving the alternate list letter, the letter says that historically, Hopkins has taken many people off this list, and that Hopkins will contact you again at the end of April to tell you where you fall on the alternate list.

I know this because a friend of mine got the "low waitlist" and showed me the letter, and it's different than the alternate list letter I got.

...on a side note, I think there being only a hundred or so on the alternate list is good! Remember, although last years class was comprised of 40 people off the alternate list, more than 40 people on the alternate list were offered acceptances.

Does anyone know when they send out letters to people on the alternate list?
I called once to update address early in March, and the lady said they'd mail out the letters in the middle of April. But the alternate list letter says we'd recieve "more information" at the end of April. So end of April?

I called once to update address early in March, and the lady said they'd mail out the letters in the middle of April. But the alternate list letter says we'd recieve "more information" at the end of April. So end of April?

i called to update my address as well and the lady was very bitchy stating that we'll recieve something soon in the mail where I can update my address officially. This is a letter that will tell us where we stand. Hopefully it doesnt say that Im just on the alternate list. I want a number ranking damn it.