Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you allowed to apply to MSUCOM and MSUCHM? Are the admissions stats about the same?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah, you're allowed! From what I understand, this past cycle the entering stats were almost the same. Probably around a 3.6 GPA and 505 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

As much as I would love to see and experience KCU, I will cancel all my interviews too. I was going to be on the 27th but it doesn't work for my exams. I am hoping to be admitted to MSU before I have to worry about moving it lol :)

I feel you! Please let today be the day!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
Going to interview here on 9/28. If anyone is staying that night after the interview and would want to go see a KC Royals game or tour the city please hit me up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
Going to interview here on 9/28. If anyone is staying that night after the interview and would want to go see a KC Royals game or tour the city please hit me up!
When did you get your invite?

The suspence is killing me!

Hey guys,

Gonna piggy back off this, interviewing 9/23 if anyone wants to grab some drinks after the interview or tour the city let me know!

Gonna piggy back off this, interviewing 9/23 if anyone wants to grab some drinks after the interview or tour the city let me know!

me me!!

Does anyone know if KCU is open to in the area emails? I have an interview pretty close and would prefer not to pay for two flights haha

Yeah, you're allowed! From what I understand, this past cycle the entering stats were almost the same. Probably around a 3.6 GPA and 505 MCAT.

My friend is a current freshman and he told me his class average was a 3.6/507. I could not believe it.

Does anyone know if KCU is open to in the area emails? I have an interview pretty close and would prefer not to pay for two flights haha

I haven't heard the admissions team being receptive to ITA interviews but it would never heard to call them and ask!

What days are you guys interviewing? What hotels you staying at? Is there a shuttle to and from the campus like ACOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a shuttle to and from the campus like ACOM?

816 Hotel in Westport does offer a shuttle to and from the campus. Most stay here and take the shuttle to campus and then ride share a supper shuttle back to the airport after the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Likely withdrawing my II here, hopefully it goes to one of y'all! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Just got this email (post-secondary):

"Your application has been sent for further review. This process can take up to 2 weeks. Once the application review is complete, you will receive additional communication from KCU-COM. You are welcome to email the Office of Admissions for any further clarification at [email protected]."

Anyone else?

Just got this email (post-secondary):

"Your application has been sent for further review. This process can take up to 2 weeks. Once the application review is complete, you will receive additional communication from KCU-COM. You are welcome to email the Office of Admissions for any further clarification at [email protected]."

Anyone else?
This sounds like a post secondary "deferment". Can't offer you an II but don't want to reject until they can give your application a closer look (and compare it to the rest of the applicant pool)!

This sounds like a post secondary "deferment". Can't offer you an II but don't want to reject until they can give your application a closer look (and compare it to the rest of the applicant pool)!

No I think this a generic email they send to everyone once completed. I got almost the same email when I sent in my primary that said they would review my application and decide if I would receive a secondary with in two weeks. About four weeks later I got a secondary.

II! :) Got the Sept. 14th date, staying at 816 Hotel. Super pumped!

Reactions: 2 users
No I think this a generic email they send to everyone once completed. I got almost the same email when I sent in my primary that said they would review my application and decide if I would receive a secondary with in two weeks. About four weeks later I got a secondary.
Yeah but OP was post-secondary, not pre. But in general, no not everyone gets either of those emails! All I got was secondary invite, complete email, and II email.

II first one of the cycle!!

complete 08/02

Scheduled for October 12th, afternoon. Anyone else for this day?

Do yall think it would be possible to make a 6pm flight out of KC after the 10am interview? I know the website says to schedule for after 6pm flights, but staying another night in KC is quite expensive!

Do yall think it would be possible to make a 6pm flight out of KC after the 10am interview? I know the website says to schedule for after 6pm flights, but staying another night in KC is quite expensive!

Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Interviewing 9/14. I accidentally booked 2 rooms, nonrefundable and noncancellable at Comfort Inn and Suites in Kansas City Downtown (9/13-9/15). Only needed one. Please let me know if any of you would like a room and I can give you a discount! It is really close to the KCU campus and was listed as a hotel by the medical school.

Anyone know what KCU's acceptance percentages are like post interview? Thanks

anyone have any clue what your chances are post II? thanks

Last year they told us 70% acceptance rate post II.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know of i individuals who were "underdogs" and accepted? Meaning sub class xxxx stats? So for example avg mcat 27.8 gpa avg 3.60. Anyone know of individuals accepted with lower stats? And nothing super out of the ordinary in their app?

Anyone know of i individuals who were "underdogs" and accepted? Meaning sub class xxxx stats? So for example avg mcat 27.8 gpa avg 3.60. Anyone know of individuals accepted with lower stats? And nothing super out of the ordinary in their app?
I personally am way below their stats and have an II!

I think because of the secondary cut offs, there probably isn't much info on this. I know people who got interviews who had just marginally better or at the cut off scores but they had good ECs or LOR.

They got interviews for this cycle or last? And if last - did they get an acceptance?

Just from my pre-interview rejection (i sought out feedback after rejected) and looking at applicants here, they like academic rigor. I had to attend school more or less part time (8-10 hrs per semester - was mentioned this was tied into my rejection) because of working full-time all throughout. Additionally was told my ECs were a bit lacking and I should seek out additional healthcare experience (ICU RN for 5+ years).

Just offering some info to you guys that might help make sense of things.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

what exactly are their cut offs?

Just from my pre-interview rejection (i sought out feedback after rejected) and looking at applicants here, they like academic rigor. I had to attend school more or less part time (8-10 hrs per semester - was mentioned this was tied into my rejection) because of working full-time all throughout. Additionally was told my ECs were a bit lacking and I should seek out additional healthcare experience (ICU RN for 5+ years).

Just offering some info to you guys that might help make sense of things.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
Backpacking on that, if it matters, I attended a very rigorous undergrad school with a LOT of pre-meds. I also did a very rigorous all science masters. So perhaps that rigor thing is true?

500/3.25/3.25

ah, thanks!

I know someone last cycle who was above their GPA cutoff but below their MCAT cutoff. she attended an interview but was waitlisted afterwards I believe. I think once you receive an II though, it may be less about the stats than potentially other factors. she ultimately attended a school close to home where she was out rightly accepted.

Academic rigor is of high importance at this school based on the style of curriculum. For example, after our final on Friday, we will have 7 credits completed, a standardized patient encounter with SOAP note and 3 or 4 omm competencies completed. Not to mention our other courses. Some will have a grand rounds presentation they are working on at the same time. The curriculum is intense.

It should bear to mind the importance of the secondary question about having multiple commitments and how you handle them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting on my committee letter to be submitted.. Super frustrating! Congrats to everyone getting IIs and acceptances (at other schools) though! All of that hard work has paid off :)

500/3.25/3.25

The class of 2019 profile (latest i could find) had like a 3.65 s and cgpa with a 28 ish mcat. They obvi have different averages for secondaries and whatnot compared to their accepted averages. Correct me if I'm wrong.