Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody know what the interviewing acceptance rate is?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone got any further information since the acceptance email last week?

has anyone got any further information since the acceptance email last week?
I got the official acceptance letter, but not the acceptance packet. The letter said to expect the packet in 3-5 business days

Reactions: 1 users
May I ask why you chose KCU?
I liked the school better like as a physical entity. I thought the buildings, library and lecture halls were all nicer. I'm from Chicago, so Kansas City is small to me I think I'd lose my mind in kirksville with a population of 17,000. I get a more competitive feel at KCU as far as competing for specialty residencies. The curriculum at KCOM with compound exams covering every subject does not really appeal to me I much prefer the KCU curriculum with the normal anatomy followed by the abnormal/path the second year. To top it off it's quite a bit cheaper to attend KCU.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just paid the deposit! Can anyone tell me how quick to get going on the immunizations, they seemed pretty serious about starting quickly but would I be ok if I started by jan. 1 or should I start like yesterday? @AlteredScale help would be appreciated, thank you all

I liked the school better like as a physical entity. I thought the buildings, library and lecture halls were all nicer. I'm from Chicago, so Kansas City is small to me I think I'd lose my mind in kirksville with a population of 17,000. I get a more competitive feel at KCU as far as competing for specialty residencies. The curriculum at KCOM with compound exams covering every subject does not really appeal to me I much prefer the KCU curriculum with the normal anatomy followed by the abnormal/path the second year. To top it off it's quite a bit cheaper to attend KCU.
Fair enough. How long did it take you after completion to hear about an II? I got the completion email 10/24, so I'm concerned that interview slots will be filled by the time they get to me.

just paid the deposit! Can anyone tell me how quick to get going on the immunizations, they seemed pretty serious about starting quickly but would I be ok if I started by jan. 1 or should I start like yesterday? @AlteredScale help would be appreciated, thank you all

Sooner the better. I hadn't had hepB prior. Began my shot series on Christmas eve and wasn't finished with it by the deadline. So "yesterday" is pretty accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sooner the better. I hadn't had hepB prior. Began my shot series on Christmas eve and wasn't finished with it by the deadline. So "yesterday" is pretty accurate.

lol damn ok will do thank you! how in the world do people accepted in like march possibly make the deadline?

lol damn ok will do thank you! how in the world do people accepted in like march possibly make the deadline?

Start as soon as you can, but they will check back with you as the semester goes on if you miss the deadline to see if you have completed it, you just have to give them proof that you've at least started the series.

And even if you do it all on time, you'll probably get an email that you're "missing something" but then they'll magically find the paper work lol. It happens, don't stress too much about immunizations! Just get them done :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Start as soon as you can, but they will check back with you as the semester goes on if you miss the deadline to see if you have completed it, you just have to give them proof that you've at least started the series.

And even if you do it all on time, you'll probably get an email that you're "missing something" but then they'll magically find the paper work lol. It happens, don't stress too much about immunizations! Just get them done :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
thank you !

Just got my follow up e-mail post-acceptance. :banana:

I'm not gunna lie, there was a deep dark corner of my mind that was like, "bro... haha... what if they accidentally sent you an acceptance e-mail? Wouldn't that be funny?" so I'm glad this came.

Just got my follow up e-mail post-acceptance. :banana:

I'm not gunna lie, there was a deep dark corner of my mind that was like, "bro... haha... what if they accidentally sent you an acceptance e-mail? Wouldn't that be funny?" so I'm glad this came.
dude, ur scaring me, still waiting for a post acceptance email lol

edit: just received, yay its real

Fair enough. How long did it take you after completion to hear about an II? I got the completion email 10/24, so I'm concerned that interview slots will be filled by the time they get to me.
uhm around 6 weeks if memory serves me right

I was so excited about my interview at KCU and enjoyed the warm hospitality of students and faculty when I was there. Without doubt, this school offers an unparalleled medical education. But after thoughtful consideration, I will withdraw my acceptance due to other opportunities. Hope my spot goes to one of you deserving friends!

Reactions: 5 users
I was so excited about my interview at KCU and enjoyed the warm hospitality of students and faculty when I was there. Without doubt, this school offers an unparalleled medical education. But after thoughtful consideration, I will withdraw my acceptance due to other opportunities. Hope my spot goes to one of you deserving friends!
you choosing pcom fam?

The DO whom I shadowed (and received a letter from) graduated from this institution. Do you think admissions will look favorably on this fact? Or is it rather irrelevant.

Current MS-3 undergoing the prestigious Sarnoff Research Fellowship which is a year long fully funded fellowship at the University of Michigan Health System. Absolutely blew me away with their knowledge of the literature and dedication. Check it out below.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/pres...Student-Researcher-Finds-Lack-of-10631297.php

This is excellent! That's exactly the (only) type of research I'm interested in, and it's great that someone from KCU is doing things in this field!

Does KCU have a list of residencies that each class matched at?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think that KCU is starting to have more research opportunities or becoming more "MD-like" with their research programs?

as much as I would like to say yes to this I can't. There still seems to be a bit of a disjoint between research and the curriclum because kcu is so hell bent on making sure that classes destroy boards. They provide research electives third and fourth and many student do actually come back to school to conduct some basic science research however most simply find case reports or retros to do with their preceptors if they are rotating at a teaching hospital!

In the future, it would be nice to see more connection however wwe dont have a big research faculty or facility so 270 students getting a fqir chance at research is still unlikely for now.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

My advice to those with late interviews is call them and ask to move it up don't ask to be put on a list when something opens up because they do not have one!

as much as I would like to say yes to this I can't. There still seems to be a bit of a disjoint between research and the curriclum because kcu is so hell bent on making sure that classes destroy boards. They provide research electives third and fourth and many student do actually come back to school to conduct some basic science research however most simply find case reports or retros to do with their preceptors if they are rotating at a teaching hospital!

In the future, it would be nice to see more connection however wwe dont have a big research faculty or facility so 270 students getting a fqir chance at research is still unlikely for now.

What is their board prep like? I've heard they encourage taking step 1 and if this is true do they prep you for both?

What is their board prep like? I've heard they encourage taking step 1 and if this is true do they prep you for both?

Three week kaplan review course for comlex but you are given kaplan prep materials for both usmle and comlex starting m-2. From the beginning the questions on exams are board style questions with timing set to that of taking boards (goes from 90 seconds to 75 seconds a question). The kaplan review course is optional if not at the lower end of the class and then you are provided six weeks of dedicated study time. We are constnatly reminded that our preclinical curriculum is 100% dedicated to making sure we do well on boards so thats nice!

Reactions: 5 users
My interview was moved a week earlier in Feb. Bummed that I couldn't get anything sooner, but appreciate that it could be moved at all. How late in the year do interviews last at this school? Late Feb, or early-late March? Is there any hope of getting into this school if I interview so late? Or are most of us destined for the wait list?

I called as well they only had feb 15th open. I was hedging and decided I would call next week after giving it time for other spots to potentially open up sooner. I was told there are 3 interview dates in January (none open now), so I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything. I'll hoping there are still spots for us late February interviewees. It sounds like there will be!

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be there for the 6th as well! Want to grab a drink after the interview or something?
Definitely! My knowledge of KC is pretty much 0 so if anyone has anywhere they recommend I'd love to try it out