Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got placed on pre-II hold about a month ago. Has anyone gotten this and then actually gotten an II later? Or know if they've sent out any actual pre-II rejections or if this is basically the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrawing my interview here, hope it goes to one of you guys:rolleyes:

This is perfect, but this is your main block schedule. In each semester, you also have a clinical medicine and osteopathic skills course and in your first semester, a bioethics and med info (library) course, aka grand rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This is true! I guess I see those as more "global" so didn't think to mention them!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Just because I'm excited.....13 more days till we find out for 12/6 and 12/7 interviewees =)

Reactions: 2 users
I took biochemistry and was a TA for it at ucsd and I found this course to be pretty damn brutal haha it's not more complex (nondrawing cycles or anything) it's just the speed at which you learn everything and how quick everything is tied down to clinical aspects. Being the first class it's a shock to adjust to the clinicalnside!

Wait if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying we don't have to draw cycles or individual molecular structures? Cause that would be a huge relief

Wait if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying we don't have to draw cycles or individual molecular structures? Cause that would be a huge relief

You will never need to know individual molecular structures. Just need to know names of specific products and enzymes. Enzyme names are huge. But again, you don't memorize all of them you just memorize the ones that if they are mutated or don't work in someway would lead to an accumulation of a toxic product.

You will never need to know individual molecular structures. Just need to know names of specific products and enzymes. Enzyme names are huge. But again, you don't memorize all of them you just memorize the ones that if they are mutated or don't work in someway would lead to an accumulation of a toxic product.

That's awesome! During my undergrad I took a biochem course where we had to be able to draw every metabolite for the synthesis of all the nucleotides and the pathways for all 10 non essential amino acids. It was death

Reactions: 1 users
That's awesome! During my undergrad I took a biochem course where we had to be able to draw every metabolite for the synthesis of all the nucleotides and the pathways for all 10 non essential amino acids. It was death

Wow that sounds like hell

I'm expecting it in med school but as an undergrad that just sounds ridiculous

The worst thing is that everyone studied off the slides which the prof drew herself, and they'd be riddled with errors. A day or two before every midterm she'd email us with a list of errors in her slides. Theyd usually be things like missed carbons in the structures or incorrect branching points for like fatty acids

Reactions: 1 user
The worst thing is that everyone studied off the slides which the prof drew herself, and they'd be riddled with errors. A day or two before every midterm she'd email us with a list of errors in her slides. Theyd usually be things like missed carbons in the structures or incorrect branching points for like fatty acids

Wowzers I would not have cared for that lol but I mean at least it could've helped with study skills? Trying to find a silver lining haha

I essentially studied for the exams this semester by doing just that though. It's still super helpful to know the structures because then sometimes if you don't remember what you "memorized" you can figure it out just by thinking of what the structure looks like. Or knowing the pathways helps you figure out at what point error or damage to an involved protein or structure might cause some type of issue that would manifest clinically.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any information regarding the quality of the clerkship sites?

KC is mainly preceptor based but there is the opportunity to rotate with teaching hospitals affiliated with KU Med and UMKC SOM.

The other sites are a mixture of ward based and preceptor based, a lot of them affiliated with other DO programs.

KC is mainly preceptor based but there is the opportunity to rotate with teaching hospitals affiliated with KU Med and UMKC SOM.

The other sites are a mixture of ward based and preceptor based, a lot of them affiliated with other DO programs.

Could you elaborate a little more on the types of rotations and the benefits and drawbacks of each (preceptor-based, ward-based etc...). Is one better than another? Are there other types?

Could you elaborate a little more on the types of rotations and the benefits and drawbacks of each (preceptor-based, ward-based etc...). Is one better than another? Are there other types?

Preceptor based: there is no GME or resident team for that specialty in the hospital, hands on experience, working one on one with an attending, having more responsibility with patients and not being "overshadowed" by a resident team. It's a good type of rotation for FM and community medicine.

Wards: with resident team, learn the overall schedule of working with a resident and care team, understand and experience the varying shifts (night float, call coverage), didactic training such as morning report and noon conference and grand rounds, more "academic" environment with official department chair, program director and other faculty.

Having a balance of both is good. Many who want to do surgery prefer the preceptor based to get more experience as first assist instead of being in background.

Damn, these interview experiences are making me kinda scared
Honestly I think this is maybe one faculty that is asking these strange questions. Which I'm sure everywhere will have. But our faculty are SO nice and relaxed for the most part. I've been told many many many times that our interviews are one of, if not the most relaxed interviews they have had!

Hrm, it seems like the afternoon interviews weren't as casual, but casual interviews can also be lethal Bc you really don't know what they're thinking! Mine was incredibly casual and thought it was really engaging, i was unsure if I managed to reveal my brilliance (hah!). I feel like it was good, but who really knows!? Gah!!

The dean came out and really emphasized the importance of being yourself. He made it a point to say that academically, we're obviously capable, so I'm hoping that as long as we're not weirdos, we're good. Also they kept emphasizing a good "fit" for the campus, and I get it. The student ambassadors were the most down to earth and honest students I've met by far. Hopefully I managed to stifle my madness

<3

I interviewed here last Wednesday in the afternoon. The campus was awesome and it was fun to be in a bigger city (doing my undergrad in Idaho). I agree with everyone else who said the afternoon interview wasn't as laid back as I thought it was going to be. My interviewer kind of stuck with a script. I think it still went well, but I don't feel like I had a chance to get fully comfortable. Good luck everyone that interviewed. Should find out in a week and a half!

Too late to submit my app to KCU you think? 3.8/35, submitted to a different DO school recently and got a II within days (but the II is very late). Wondering if IIs are still going out or KCU's IIs are done for. Any help is loved, thanks.

Too late to submit my app to KCU you think? 3.8/35, submitted to a different DO school recently and got a II within days (but the II is very late). Wondering if IIs are still going out or KCU's IIs are done for. Any help is loved, thanks.
I say go for it your interview will most likely be in march but if there's an interview, there's seats you may have to prepare for questions like "why did you apply so late"

Just reading through some of these experiences and I thought I would add my own. Fair warning, I am a long-winded poster.

Honestly for me, the culture here from the moment you stepped onto campus was much different than other schools I have been to so far. From the get-go, random medical students were wishing me luck and shaking my hand. They all said the same thing: "You deserve to be here." That must have been a trend in other years, because everyone had that mentality. When we toured with the student ambassadors (something EVERY school should be doing) we had the same experience. That alone spoke to me about the culture of the school and the nature of the individuals they bring in.

The informational meetings were not the highlight by any means, in that they mirrored many other informational meetings at many other schools. This is just some business they have to knock out and should not be the focal point in decision making. Why should it not be? Well...

The ambassadors are simply amazing - helpful and welcoming. I spoke with three admissions members individually throughout the day, and they were incredibly welcoming. Everything about the progress of the day said that same thing. This included the interview for me, which was as follows:

2 faculty members, Dr. Fitzpatrick (pharmacology) and Dr. Johnson (bioethics). Only had access to secondary. They ACTUALLY READ IT AND KNEW DETAILS - something other schools did not do or did not seem to integrate into the interview if they did. They asked me some specific questions about my secondary (about ROTC, my thoughts on the KC area, and even my job history!), and then asked me to expand upon them. Sure, there were a list of questions they intended to ask, but all seemed related to KCU, Osteopathic Medicine, me, and my secondary. I really thought the questions, some thought provoking, some personal, some follow-ups, were all fair. I had plenty of time to converse with the interviewers, and even made a point to ask questions of my own. We joked around a bit and had a good time.

And have you seen their board and residency match statistics? However rigorous their curriculum may or may not be, it is clearly effective. Not many schools boast numbers like that. Trust the system. We are all at least relatively intelligent, and the system is not designed to cause failure. It is intended to teach. Clearly it succeeds in this mission year after year.

I can only speak from my experience, but I made every effort to answer their questions and ask my own. I intended to have a small conversation about their lives, their view of Kansas City, and more. Whether right or wrong, I sort of made the interview a conversation. They actually brushed one of the admissions members off when he came to inform us that time was up, and we talked for another 5 minutes or so.

Everything about this process is what you make of it. Some things are out of our hands, but I believe you would be surprised at how receptive everyone is to a less-uptight environment. Eat at Q39 when you go and the whole trip will be worth it regardless of the outcome. Interviewed 12/7 and excited to hear back over the next week or so.

Also, free t-shirts, free lunch (BBQ when I went), and they had us size out our white coats. Pretty clever idea if you ask me - forces you to picture yourself as a KCU Student Doctor......
It worked.

Reactions: 9 users
Just reading through some of these experiences and I thought I would add my own. Fair warning, I am a long-winded poster.

Honestly for me, the culture here from the moment you stepped onto campus was much different than other schools I have been to so far. From the get-go, random medical students were wishing me luck and shaking my hand. They all said the same thing: "You deserve to be here." That must have been a trend in other years, because everyone had that mentality. When we toured with the student ambassadors (something EVERY school should be doing) we had the same experience. That alone spoke to me about the culture of the school and the nature of the individuals they bring in.

The informational meetings were not the highlight by any means, in that they mirrored many other informational meetings at many other schools. This is just some business they have to knock out and should not be the focal point in decision making. Why should it not be? Well...

The ambassadors are simply amazing - helpful and welcoming. I spoke with three admissions members individually throughout the day, and they were incredibly welcoming. Everything about the progress of the day said that same thing. This included the interview for me, which was as follows:

2 faculty members, Dr. Fitzpatrick (pharmacology) and Dr. Johnson (bioethics). Only had access to secondary. They ACTUALLY READ IT AND KNEW DETAILS - something other schools did not do or did not seem to integrate into the interview if they did. They asked me some specific questions about my secondary (about ROTC, my thoughts on the KC area, and even my job history!), and then asked me to expand upon them. Sure, there were a list of questions they intended to ask, but all seemed related to KCU, Osteopathic Medicine, me, and my secondary. I really thought the questions, some thought provoking, some personal, some follow-ups, were all fair. I had plenty of time to converse with the interviewers, and even made a point to ask questions of my own. We joked around a bit and had a good time.

And have you seen their board and residency match statistics? However rigorous their curriculum may or may not be, it is clearly effective. Not many schools boast numbers like that. Trust the system. We are all at least relatively intelligent, and the system is not designed to cause failure. It is intended to teach. Clearly it succeeds in this mission year after year.

I can only speak from my experience, but I made every effort to answer their questions and ask my own. I intended to have a small conversation about their lives, their view of Kansas City, and more. Whether right or wrong, I sort of made the interview a conversation. They actually brushed one of the admissions members off when he came to inform us that time was up, and we talked for another 5 minutes or so.

Everything about this process is what you make of it. Some things are out of our hands, but I believe you would be surprised at how receptive everyone is to a less-uptight environment. Eat at Q39 when you go and the whole trip will be worth it regardless of the outcome. Interviewed 12/7 and excited to hear back over the next week or so.

Also, free t-shirts, free lunch (BBQ when I went), and they had us size out our white coats. Pretty clever idea if you ask me - forces you to picture yourself as a KCU Student Doctor......
It worked.

I would agree with your assessment 100%! Was the first DO school I went to that I went "wow I would love to attend this school." Hopefully we get the opportunity to do so next Friday!

Reactions: 1 users
When should I start applying for a room in CT? Also, when can i start moving my things into there? I think the orientation week at KCU is like July 20th, so I can start putting stuff in my room before then? Lastly, how do you pick a roommate if you have one in mind??

When should I start applying for a room in CT? Also, when can i start moving my things into there? I think the orientation week at KCU is like July 20th, so I can start putting stuff in my room before then? Lastly, how do you pick a roommate if you have one in mind??
just took a tour of CT she said anytime before feb and we would be fine. That place is awesome inside btw

If you need to, there are storage rooms available prior to move in. A lot of us second years will be moving out around then and selling everything so I just bought all of my furniture from older students and stored it until I moved in. Made moving in super easy and just had the students move their furniture into one storage room under my name and paid via venmo. :)

It worked.

The free t-shirt is so comfortable too!

I have an interview at KCU in January and I am very excited! For the current students / people who have already interviewed what is the best way to prepare? All of the interviews I have attended this year have been MMI's so I am nervous about a one-on-one interview.

Anyone with Jan interviews who are planning to withdraw, let ya boy know ok thnx :D.

I have an interview at KCU in January and I am very excited! For the current students / people who have already interviewed what is the best way to prepare? All of the interviews I have attended this year have been MMI's so I am nervous about a one-on-one interview.
Don't be nervous at all for your KCU interview! Read your secondary again, and relax. My interview was extremely relaxed, and I enjoyed talking with both of my interviewers. Before my interview I took a blank piece of printer paper and wrote basic interview questions and my answers down. I also wrote down my top hobbies, memorable patients I had met, and challenges I have overcome in my pre-medical path. I only bullet-pointed my answers though, as to not memorize my responses. This helped me reassure myself that I wasn't going in blind to my interview. If you know the answers to: "why medicine" "Why KCU" and "Why Osteopathic Medicine" then you will do totally fine. I also made sure to have 2 questions I could ask my interviewers at the end of our conversation. Best of luck!!!

how long do we have to get our immunization papers in? I thought we had until the new school year starts for us, but I went on the matriculation website and the immunization packet says the following:

"A completed, signed KCU Immunization Record form certified by a Licensed Physician, Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nurse or Authorized Health Official along with supporting documentation is due in the Office of Admissions within 60 days of receipt. This information is required to fulfill matriculation criteria and participate in educational activities. Partially finished forms and/or documentation are not reviewed and returned to the student for completion."

What does "... within 60 days of receipt" refer to?

how long do we have to get our immunization papers in? I thought we had until the new school year starts for us, but I went on the matriculation website and the immunization packet says the following:

"A completed, signed KCU Immunization Record form certified by a Licensed Physician, Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nurse or Authorized Health Official along with supporting documentation is due in the Office of Admissions within 60 days of receipt. This information is required to fulfill matriculation criteria and participate in educational activities. Partially finished forms and/or documentation are not reviewed and returned to the student for completion."

What does "... within 60 days of receipt" refer to?

From what I'm aware that is receipt of your initial deposit. You need to start your titers and immunization stuff ASAP.

From what I'm aware that is receipt of your initial deposit. You need to start your titers and immunization stuff ASAP.

Which initial deposit? I submitted one a week ago which was a $1000 acceptance fee and there's another $1000 matriculation fee due on March 1st

Which initial deposit? I submitted one a week ago which was a $1000 acceptance fee and there's another $1000 matriculation fee due on March 1st

I believe the deadline for all immunizations is May 1. This was the deadline last year, and what the website currently shows as this years deadline as well.

Does anyone know-- if my immunizations forms are faxed over to KCU, will they e-mail me to let me know that they received it?

Does anyone know-- if my immunizations forms are faxed over to KCU, will they e-mail me to let me know that they received it?

They do not email each time they receive a doc. About every 2-3 weeks (and more often as you get closer to deadlines) they will send friendly reminders with what was received and what still needs to be received. Make sure you check these against your records.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't be nervous at all for your KCU interview! Read your secondary again, and relax. My interview was extremely relaxed, and I enjoyed talking with both of my interviewers. Before my interview I took a blank piece of printer paper and wrote basic interview questions and my answers down. I also wrote down my top hobbies, memorable patients I had met, and challenges I have overcome in my pre-medical path. I only bullet-pointed my answers though, as to not memorize my responses. This helped me reassure myself that I wasn't going in blind to my interview. If you know the answers to: "why medicine" "Why KCU" and "Why Osteopathic Medicine" then you will do totally fine. I also made sure to have 2 questions I could ask my interviewers at the end of our conversation. Best of luck!!!

Thank you so much! I was planning on reviewing interview questions but making a bullet list is a great idea :)

so the acceptance letter said additional information will be sent in 5-7 business days, does that comes through email or regular mail?

Just received II for April, but can I ask them to put me on a waitlist to bump it up earlier if someone else drops?

so the acceptance letter said additional information will be sent in 5-7 business days, does that comes through email or regular mail?
I just received another email today (~4 days post-acceptance) that had links to immunization stuff, seat deposit fee, matriculation fee, etc. Not sure if there is a snail mail version of this they are sending as well, ill keep you posted!

So I've already been accepted to an MD program, which I am of course excited about, but I am really drawn to the program here. I had my interview here on 11/30 and haven't heard back yet, so I might be getting ahead of myself, but I have spent many hours mulling over the decision between MD and DO. Prior to being accepted to the MD school, all of the doctors I work with assured me that there is virtually no difference between MD and DO. Now that I have been accepted, they have changed their tune and have all told me that if I have the choice, I should choose MD. The less assertive ones tend to include the caveat that things may have improved, and definitely aren't as bad as they used to be, but are still insistent that it will make my life much easier when it comes time for residency if I am an MD.

I guess my question is, for current students, or applicants if you have a good answer, - what reasons do/did you have for going DO? Did you have people try to talk you out of it? Have you actually heard of people struggling to find a residency because they are a DO? I know KCU has a super match rate, including competitive specialties, but the MDs I work with still insist on saying it will be harder.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the novel!!!

So I've already been accepted to an MD program, which I am of course excited about, but I am really drawn to the program here. I had my interview here on 11/30 and haven't heard back yet, so I might be getting ahead of myself, but I have spent many hours mulling over the decision between MD and DO. Prior to being accepted to the MD school, all of the doctors I work with assured me that there is virtually no difference between MD and DO. Now that I have been accepted, they have changed their tune and have all told me that if I have the choice, I should choose MD. The less assertive ones tend to include the caveat that things may have improved, and definitely aren't as bad as they used to be, but are still insistent that it will make my life much easier when it comes time for residency if I am an MD.

I guess my question is, for current students, or applicants if you have a good answer, - what reasons do/did you have for going DO? Did you have people try to talk you out of it? Have you actually heard of people struggling to find a residency because they are a DO? I know KCU has a super match rate, including competitive specialties, but the MDs I work with still insist on saying it will be harder.

dude/ dudete always go MD if you have the opportunity, the amount of roadblocks and bumps you will have to endure due to the lastk few letters after you name sucks, sure the bias is less and less, but it still exists. why would you want to make your future path one of more difficulties? go md

This has been answered numerous times. If accepted to MD, go MD. If not, go DO, work hard, get the specialty you want (for the most part).

MD will make life easier as there aren't as many hoops you have to jump through (for example, taking two board exams).

KCU is a great school, but IMO an MD acceptance is what u go with