Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone tell me the start date for next year? I just interviewed here and can't find that info anywhere. Also, how long do you have to pay the acceptance and matriculation payments?

Someone posted an academic calendar on here for next year at some point, and I believe that one said August 1!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post a sample schedule for first year. What classes are taken etc.. I know every year it changes and everybody has a slightly different schedule, but i cant find anything online. Thanks

Can someone post a sample schedule for first year. What classes are taken etc.. I know every year it changes and everybody has a slightly different schedule, but i cant find anything online. Thanks

The entire schedule?

I can grab it for you tomorrow if someone else doesn't post it first.

Your first two blocks will be:
1. Biochemistry
2. Immunology

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I believe the time limit for the first deposit is 30 days after the email of acceptance? Can someone confirm this?

This year so far has been:
Biochem 3wks
Immuno 3 wks
MSK 5 wks
CP 5.5 weeks
Renal 3 wks
Holiday break.

Schedule for spring is roughly
GI 4 wks
ENDO 2 wks
REPRO 4 wks
NSI 6 wks
MODI 4 wks
MODII 3.5 wks

Lecture and lab times fluctuate so there is no set daily schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Biochem 3wks
Immuno 3 wks
MSK 5 wks
CP 5.5 weeks
Renal 3 wks
Holiday break.

GI 4 wks
ENDO 2 wks
REPRO 4 wks
NSI 6 wks
MODI 4 wks
MODII 3.5 wks

Only 3 weeks for Biochem sounds brutal

Think taking it and doing well in as an undergrad will help much or is it much more in depth?

Depends on the person. I took Biochem 3 times, once UG and twice at the Grad (masters/phd) level before and it still required a fair bit of preparation and studying.

Think taking it and doing well in as an undergrad will help much or is it much more in depth?

I took biochemistry and was a TA for it at ucsd and I found this course to be pretty damn brutal haha it's not more complex (nondrawing cycles or anything) it's just the speed at which you learn everything and how quick everything is tied down to clinical aspects. Being the first class it's a shock to adjust to the clinicalnside!

Accepted to Joplin! So excited!!! Any of you currently live in Joplin that can help me learn more about what it's like to live there?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current student or someone who knows more than I comment on what the advantages would be to doing the masters in bioethics?

trying to decide between mucom and kcumb. anyone have any suggestions?
I completely disregarded mucom after their whole sexual harrasment thing. True or not I don't want to be any where near that mess

Did you interview in the morning or afternoon? Why do you feel like your interview was just "alright? Was it because it was too casual?

interviewed in the afternoon. i thought the interview was fine but didn't feel amazing because it really wasn't as conversational as others made it out to be. It was still a very relaxed and casual interview but it was methodical and the interviewers asked certain questions that they came in with, without letting the convo go somewhere if it made sense to go organically. Essentially, while it was very casual, the order made it seem scripted lol. And I don't think it was a case of just having a different personality type with the interviewer cuz pretty much everyone else I asked said they felt the same way as well.

interviewed in the afternoon. i thought the interview was fine but didn't feel amazing because it really wasn't as conversational as others made it out to be. It was still a very relaxed and casual interview but it was methodical and the interviewers asked certain questions that they came in with, without letting the convo go somewhere if it made sense to go organically. Essentially, while it was very casual, the order made it seem scripted lol. And I don't think it was a case of just having a different personality type with the interviewer cuz pretty much everyone else I asked said they felt the same way as well.

I think mine was honestly too conversational! I was expecting the normal scripted questions and it ended up being more a go with the flow where my interviewer would piggy back off of the last question. Haha I hope we all did well though

Can any current student or someone who knows more than I comment on what the advantages would be to doing the masters in bioethics?

You will have no less than 5 presentations during the first semester in why/how/what the bioethics masters program entails. You do not apply for it until November with an early December deadline for applications. That being said, i can't help because other than grabbing the free food, I did not attend any of them. Judging by the rest of our bioethics classes, and speaking with a couple people I the program, it helps you to think on a more broad perspective about feelings of the community, the patients, and different schools of thought about the values employed during a decision making process.

on another note, does anyone have a general idea as to how quickly the KCU admissions email account responds back? I emailed them about something yesterday afternoon and have not received word back yet. Just wondering if I should wait a bit longer or call (which i would prefer not to because my concern is much more eloquently phrased in wording).

Apologies if this sounds too neurotic lol

Biochem 3wks
Immuno 3 wks
MSK 5 wks
CP 5.5 weeks
Renal 3 wks
Holiday break.

GI 4 wks
ENDO 2 wks
REPRO 4 wks
NSI 6 wks
MODI 4 wks
MODII 3.5 wks

This is perfect, but this is your main block schedule. In each semester, you also have a clinical medicine and osteopathic skills course and in your first semester, a bioethics and med info (library) course, aka grand rounds.

Anyone from the 11/30 interview date hear back yesterday?

on another note, does anyone have a general idea as to how quickly the KCU admissions email account responds back? I emailed them about something yesterday afternoon and have not received word back yet. Just wondering if I should wait a bit longer or call (which i would prefer not to because my concern is much more eloquently phrased in wording).

anyone with an idea about their rough timeline when it comes to emailing?

Anyone from the 11/30 interview date hear back yesterday?
Nothing yet. Im assuming it will be closer to their holiday break. They said we should know by then by the latest though.

I just got the "further review" email post-secondary. At this stage in the cycle, what are the odds of receiving an II?

Last edited:
I have decided to decline my offer of admission to the KC campus. I'm super grateful for the opportunity to stay close to family but I'm bummed I won't get to be classmates with you guys! I know you will all be rockstar physicians and I'm stoked for us all. Best of luck everyone!!
Where you going instead?

Hrm, it seems like the afternoon interviews weren't as casual, but casual interviews can also be lethal Bc you really don't know what they're thinking! Mine was incredibly casual and thought it was really engaging, i was unsure if I managed to reveal my brilliance (hah!). I feel like it was good, but who really knows!? Gah!!

The dean came out and really emphasized the importance of being yourself. He made it a point to say that academically, we're obviously capable, so I'm hoping that as long as we're not weirdos, we're good. Also they kept emphasizing a good "fit" for the campus, and I get it. The student ambassadors were the most down to earth and honest students I've met by far. Hopefully I managed to stifle my madness

I had my interview in the afternoon and it was not casual at all. I was asked really specific questions about my secondary and I don't think I had the chance to show that I'm a "good fit." Hopefully I didn't do as badly as I think I did.

I had my interview in the afternoon and it was not casual at all. I was asked really specific questions about my secondary and I don't think I had the chance to show that I'm a "good fit." Hopefully I didn't do as badly as I think I did.

You are your own worst critic and they know you're nervous. You probably did better than you think.

Nice, they offered me an interview last week but idk if I should go. I just can't really get over the fact that the tuition per year is like 20k larger. Combine that with the cost of living in Chicago vs KC and I think the difference when it's all said and done is over 100k. Idk how I feel about that kind of extra dough. What are your thoughts on this issue?

Nice, they offered me an interview last week but idk if I should go. I just can't really get over the fact that the tuition per year is like 20k larger. Combine that with the cost of living in Chicago vs KC and I think the difference when it's all said and done is over 100k. Idk how I feel about that kind of extra dough. What are your thoughts on this issue?

I'm able to live rent free at my parents while attending CCOM so my only cost will be tuition fortunately. Tbh if I weren't able to live at home or have financial help from family I most likely wouldn't go there. But being in Chicago for rotations and close to family is important to me so the commuting is worth it. The COA if you live off campus is 99k/year. It's absolutely absurd for people who don't live close where they can save a ton of money. If this is your situation, it may not be worth it even though it is an awesome school. I talked to current students and CCOM alum and most said they were able to pay back loans within 10-15 years though. I would say maybe just go to the interview if it's not too far/too expensive and just see how you like it!

I'm able to live rent free at my parents while attending CCOM so my only cost will be tuition fortunately. Tbh if I weren't able to live at home or have financial help from family I most likely wouldn't go there. But being in Chicago for rotations and close to family is important to me so the commuting is worth it. The COA if you live off campus is 99k/year. It's absolutely absurd for people who don't live close where they can save a ton of money. If this is your situation, it may not be worth it even though it is an awesome school. I talked to current students and CCOM alum and most said they were able to pay back loans within 10-15 years though. I would say maybe just go to the interview if it's not too far/too expensive and just see how you like it!

Actually I'm from California, so I don't really think I can go there reasonably. Location and tuition aside, how do the two schools stack up in your opinion?

I just got the "further review" email post-secondary. At this stage in the cycle, what are the odds of receiving an II?

I just got my II a few days ago, so they're definitely still sending them out. But I was complete with my secondary back in late september early october I believe. Does anyone know if they look at people in order or if they just pick people randomly not depending on when you're complete?

In my experience it's highly variable. I once emailed and got a reply like a week later. I also have previously emailed and received a reply an hour later.

Declined my offer here as well. KCU was the very first II and interview I had so it will always hold a special place in my heart. Hope it goes to someone here, good luck to those still waiting and thanks to current students active on this thread :)

Always happy to help!

Glad you enjoyed your time here and good luck where you decided to go!!!

Declined my offer here as well. KCU was the very first II and interview I had so it will always hold a special place in my heart. Hope it goes to someone here, good luck to those still waiting and thanks to current students active on this thread :)

Where you going instead?

Too all the people talking about the rigor/relaxedness of their interview. Mine was pretty rough. I was asked several times to state my honest opinion of a topic and then state why my opinion is bad, or why the opposite of my opinion could be better. An example could be Me: "socialized medicine can be good at reducing costs and expanding accessibility" Interviewer: "tell me why how socialized medicine is worse and in what ways private for-profit medicine is better." (this wasn't the exact question just an example). Interview was pretty much question answer. My interviewer was incredibly nice throughout the process however and I did get accepted to KC campus so something worked out I guess. Just role with the interview, be yourself and it'll all work out.

For anyone receiving or contemplating accepting an interview invite ITS AN AWESOME SCHOOL. You couldn't ask for a more beautiful, and friendly environment from a DO school. Also EAT AT Q39 and check out the art museum.

I'm in the same position, interviewed at CCOM and have one coming up for KCUCOM. Loved CCOM (and AZCOM actually), could you PM me your thoughts about the two as well? I haven't been accepted to the 3 yet, but the possibility of choosing is already stressing me out!

Too all the people talking about the rigor/relaxedness of their interview. Mine was pretty rough. I was asked several times to state my honest opinion of a topic and then state why my opinion is bad, or why the opposite of my opinion could be better. An example could be Me: "socialized medicine can be good at reducing costs and expanding accessibility" Interviewer: "tell me why how socialized medicine is worse and in what ways private for-profit medicine is better." (this wasn't the exact question just an example). Interview was pretty much question answer. My interviewer was incredibly nice throughout the process however and I did get accepted to KC campus so something worked out I guess. Just role with the interview, be yourself and it'll all work out.

For anyone receiving or contemplating accepting an interview invite ITS AN AWESOME SCHOOL. You couldn't ask for a more beautiful, and friendly environment from a DO school. Also EAT AT Q39 and check out the art museum.

Yooo that's what happened with me too. I was asked the downside of my answers.

Damn, these interview experiences are making me kinda scared

Don't be. I don't think everyone had this experience. There were plenty of people who came out laughing and smiling lol. I think that's why I was so thrown off during my interview because I wasn't expecting it to be so critical.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey @AlteredScale can you tell me a little about the bioethics masters? What do current students think? Is it useful? How is that degree typically used in the field?

Hey @AlteredScale can you tell me a little about the bioethics masters? What do current students think? Is it useful? How is that degree typically used in the field?

I'm in the bioethics program so I can try to help out here :)

The masters program has its good and bad haha. You start in the spring semester of first year but you will have a bioethics course through COM as well. The masters program is one class per semester including a summer course (that can be missed/made up by taking two classes or going to a conference) and usually involves some writing assignments. I think opinions will vary depending on classes taken (we get a few electives). I really enjoyed my spring and summer class but fall was a little more annoying than I'd like haha. It happens.

As for using it in the field: I'm interested in pediatric oncology and there's a lot of ethics that come into play there (especially with clinical trials and just treating kids in general) so I am interested in serving on an ethics committee in a hospital. Other people take it for a little humanity-type courses to intertwine with COM and others have their own personal reasons. It's a cool program with some cool people and I got closer to more people in my class through it which is always nice. There will be plenty of meetings throughout fall (with free food haha) where you can get more info and opinions.

Feel free to message me if you (or anyone else) has more questions! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the bioethics program so I can try to help out here :)

The masters program has its good and bad haha. You start in the spring semester of first year but you will have a bioethics course through COM as well. The masters program is one class per semester including a summer course (that can be missed/made up by taking two classes or going to a conference) and usually involves some writing assignments. I think opinions will vary depending on classes taken (we get a few electives). I really enjoyed my spring and summer class but fall was a little more annoying than I'd like haha. It happens.

As for using it in the field: I'm interested in pediatric oncology and there's a lot of ethics that come into play there (especially with clinical trials and just treating kids in general) so I am interested in serving on an ethics committee in a hospital. Other people take it for a little humanity-type courses to intertwine with COM and others have their own personal reasons. It's a cool program with some cool people and I got closer to more people in my class through it which is always nice. There will be plenty of meetings throughout fall (with free food haha) where you can get more info and opinions.

Feel free to message me if you (or anyone else) has more questions! :)

Thanks for the info. Very insightful! I'm pretty interested in the program for personal reasons.