KHSC-Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who got the A, how soon after your interview did you receive the A and how?

5-6 weeks later on a Tuesday received an email from admissions and one from the President.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how the group activity works during the interview? I'm pretty nervous because I don't know what to expect!

Does anyone know how the group activity works during the interview? I'm pretty nervous because I don't know what to expect!

the group activity ended up being my favorite part. I personally don’t think you can prepare for it because it’s genuinely a conversation between you and the other students. be yourself and try to engage with the other students!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It definitely felt negative to me, so thanks for explaining. Making others feel inferior has no place in my heart. With that in mind, I am hoping KU staff, faculty, and students welcome KansasCOM students into the community with an open mindset and kindness
That's good that you don't like negativity; please don't confuse my criticism of a brand-new medical school with criticism of medical students who will attend it.

The creation of the school was not done with an open mindset or kindness, either, and is overall ill-advised for the area.

I'm being as gentle as I can here. Please understand; I am done with medical school and am leaving the state. I have no motive to lie. I am speaking up because I am in a position that I can give caution and be objective because this is a topic I've lived.

When I was applying to medical school in this state, I would want to know if one of the school's faculty was a lot less experienced in medical education. You have the opportunity to hear from a student who has experienced some of the faculty from *this* school while in undergrad, as well as who experienced faculty at the only other medical school as a med student; what you choose to do with the information is up to you!
thanks for the info and your opinion! Do you recommend any specific areas for housing in Downtown and the outskirts (I don't mind driving)? Also, thanks for touching on that safety topic because no one has really said anything about this. It's definitely expected given the school is in a downtown area, but it's good to know!
In downtown I would look at:

And many other similar places (Innes Station, Spaghetti Works,etc. Some of the smaller places might be cheaper)

Wichita is easily drivable, so it's completely reasonable to rent or buy in a different area and commute; the majority of KU students do this (granted, our campus is about a mile from Downtown). The Northeast side of Wichita (+Andover) and the West/Northwest side of Wichita are a lot nicer than central and southern Wichita. Unfortunately, a lot of the "standard" apartment complexes out there have increased in price to almost-parity with the luxury apartments.

This is an example of an east-side apartment complex I've visited many times, and I feel like it is very, very standard as far as apartments in the Midwest go:
Windemere at Tallgrass Apartments - Wichita, KS | Apartments.com

Holler if I can be of any assistance. You can DM me if you don't wanna' be immortalized on the thread

Last edited:
On break right now after the group activity. It was alot of fun!😍 yall will enjoy it

That's good that you don't like negativity; please don't confuse my criticism of a brand-new medical school with criticism of medical students who will attend it.

The creation of the school was not done with an open mindset or kindness, either, and is overall ill-advised for the area.

I'm being as gentle as I can here. Please understand; I am done with medical school and am leaving the state. I have no motive to lie. I am speaking up because I am in a position that I can give caution and be objective because this is a topic I've lived.

When I was applying to medical school in this state, I would want to know if one of the school's faculty was a lot less experienced in medical education. You have the opportunity to hear from a student who has experienced some of the faculty from *this* school while in undergrad, as well as who experienced faculty at the only other medical school as a med student; what you choose to do with the information is up to you!

And many other similar places (Innes Station, Spaghetti Works,etc. Some of the smaller places might be cheaper)

Wichita is easily drivable, so it's completely reasonable to rent or buy in a different area and commute; the majority of KU students do this (granted, our campus is about a mile from Downtown). The Northeast side of Wichita (+Andover) and the West/Northwest side of Wichita are a lot nicer than central and southern Wichita. Unfortunately, a lot of the "standard" apartment complexes out there have increased in price to almost-parity with the luxury apartments.

This is an example of an east-side apartment complex I've visited many times, and I feel like it is very, very standard as far as apartments in the Midwest go:

Holler if I can be of any assistance. You can DM me if you don't wanna' be immortalized on the thread

For many of us, this is currently the only acceptance we hold. If given the opportunity, I'm pretty sure the majority of us would obviously choose the more established school. We are well aware of the difficulties we will face coming from a new DO school. You're acting as if we have deliberately chosen a lesser than school.

Reactions: 1 users

I completely agree with @livermeatballs comment.

In the article you shared, which is from 2019, it is KU’s Dean, Garrold Minns, who states that the new medical school may overwhelm volunteer faculty. I do not see any comment from Kansas or Wichita community members stating that the new medical school is “ill-advised” for the area. In fact, that article states KansasCOM will bring an economic boost to Wichita, creating an estimated 324 jobs.

Here is a recent video (3/31/22) of KansasCOM leadership with Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple, who discusses many positive opportunities the school will bring to Kansas:

As you mentioned, you are finished with medical school. Many people, including those on this thread, are now looking at you as a role model who upholds the ideals and values of the medical profession. With that in mind, I wish you the best in your future career.

On another note, my interview day was great! All the staff and faculty were warm and welcoming. I took lots of notes and asked many questions. If you want any of that info feel free to DM me :)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
On another note, my interview day was great! All the staff and faculty were warm and welcoming. I took lots of notes and asked many questions. If you want any of that info feel free to DM me :)

Same here! I was pretty impressed by how awesome the faculty sound. Hopefully you get that A!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! I was pretty impressed by how awesome the faculty sound. Hopefully you get that A!
couldn’t agree more. I am waiting to hear from two other interviews but If I get an A here I am really going to consider it. I was impressed ☺️

I do not see any comment from Kansas or Wichita community members stating that the new medical school is “ill-advised” for the area.
Me.
I am a community member (longterm staff RN here). Local politicians love the idea of having >1,000 new medical students downtown who will be spending loan money in the local economy!

I have spoken with countless area physicians who have informed my opinion. So far I have met ONE physician who thought it was a good idea and was willing to express that openly. These are people I've worked with in Wichita's hospitals since the days of paper charting, so I trust their expertise on whether or not the state can handle increasing the number of medical students by more than 100%.

Again, you are free to disregard my posts or opinions entirely. If you find anyone who has been educated by the faculty of this school, has attended medical school in Kansas, and who has worked in healthcare in this city (for >10 years), be my guest at asking them how they feel. :)

My only goal in posting in this thread is to uphold my ideals, which means trying to help students make an informed decision before they spend six figures of money that most don't have. You don't need to be defensive or to take anything personally; just consider it an informed opinion and do with the information whatever you choose!

I never said "Don't come here!" but I think understanding what the reality of attendance will be like is important. I interviewed at new DO schools 4 years ago and have since felt very glad about avoiding some of them, and would have been delighted to have informed opinions to help guide my choice.

Me.
I am a community member (longterm staff RN here). Local politicians love the idea of having >1,000 new medical students downtown who will be spending loan money in the local economy!

I have spoken with countless area physicians who have informed my opinion. So far I have met ONE physician who thought it was a good idea and was willing to express that openly. These are people I've worked with in Wichita's hospitals since the days of paper charting, so I trust their expertise on whether or not the state can handle increasing the number of medical students by more than 100%.

Again, you are free to disregard my posts or opinions entirely. If you find anyone who has been educated by the faculty of this school, has attended medical school in Kansas, and who has worked in healthcare in this city (for >10 years), be my guest at asking them how they feel. :)

My only goal in posting in this thread is to uphold my ideals, which means trying to help students make an informed decision before they spend six figures of money that most don't have. You don't need to be defensive or to take anything personally; just consider it an informed opinion and do with the information whatever you choose!

I never said "Don't come here!" but I think understanding what the reality of attendance will be like is important. I interviewed at new DO schools 4 years ago and have since felt very glad about avoiding some of them, and would have been delighted to have informed opinions to help guide my choice.
I really appreciate the raw truth from you. So, if you were in my shoes, if I got accepted here and it was my only A, you would probably steer clear correct? I am on a waitlist from 2 schools so hopefully I can get off of it soon.

I really appreciate the raw truth from you. So, if you were in my shoes, if I got accepted here and it was my only A, you would probably steer clear correct? I am on a waitlist from 2 schools so hopefully I can get off of it soon.
I think this is the opposite of what they’re saying. If it’s your only A and your only option, then they’re saying it’s a decent option. But because it is a new school in an already saturated area, it’s important to be wary of some of the challenges the school may face in the coming years. I feel like it’s the same for any new school, there’s going to be challenges that more established schools may not deal with anymore, and it’s important to make an informed decision and be aware that there may be some kinks to be worked out. That being said, I’m really excited about KansasCOM and it seems like it’ll be a great program!! If it’s your only A, take it! If you have other options, weigh your options and see which one best suits your needs and desires for your future career. I wish you the best with your cycle and hope you get good news soon!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I think this is the opposite of what they’re saying. If it’s your only A and your only option, then they’re saying it’s a decent option. But because it is a new school in an already saturated area, it’s important to be weary of some of the challenges the school may face in the coming years. I feel like it’s the same for any new school, there’s going to be challenges that more established schools may not deal with anymore, and it’s important to make an informed decision and be aware that there may be some kinks to be worked out. That being said, I’m really excited about KansasCOM and it seems like it’ll be a great program!! If it’s your only A, take it! If you have other options, weigh your options and see which one best suits your needs and desires for your future career. I wish you the best with your cycle and hope you get good news soon!!
Thank you and I appreciate the kind words. Same to you! If it's my only A then I will gladly go. I tend to do things the hard way so I don't mind being a guinea pig lol!

Thank you and I appreciate the kind words. Same to you! If it's my only A then I will gladly go. I tend to do things the hard way so I don't mind being a guinea pig lol!
Me too! It’s my second interview of the cycle and I’m honestly excited to have it as an option and would be thrilled if it was my only A. While I am a person who likes to go into things with as much information as possible, I’m up to take the challenges that may present them head on. Where there’s a will, there’s a way! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Me too! It’s my second interview of the cycle and I’m honestly excited to have it as an option and would be thrilled if it was my only A. While I am a person who likes to go into things with as much information as possible, I’m up to take the challenges that may present them head on. Where there’s a will, there’s a way! :)
do you mind sharing your stats

For last week's interview, did anyone receive a link to the survey? Also, Mr. Dean mentioned getting a free t-shirt. Where can we get it?

I interviewed two weeks ago and for me the link to order the t-shirt was in the same email as the post-interview survey!

How many days did you wait after the interview to receive the email?
I interviewed then as well and still haven't gotten the email! Hopefully they will soon cuz I'm all about the free shirts!

• Haha
I interviewed 3/26 and got the email 3/28. I actually got the T-shirt in the mail last week too.
lol yea, I got the T-shirt pretty quickly. Put it away in storage until I get good news :/

Withdrew my A today-hoping it goes to one of your well-deserving folks!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone here also apply to Noorda? I currently hold A’s at both Kansas com and noorda and I’m torn on which school to attend.

Did anyone else from the 3/24 and 3/26 interviews almost have a heart attack when getting that email from KansasCOM about the virtual meet and greet and thought it was their admissions decision….😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else from the 3/24 and 3/26 interviews almost have a heart attack when getting that email from KansasCOM about the virtual meet and greet and thought it was their admissions decision….😂😂😂
💀 absolutely baited

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Meee omg lol

• Haha
Anyone here also apply to Noorda? I currently hold A’s at both Kansas com and noorda and I’m torn on which school to attend.

Yeah I also applied but got put on the WL! I personally liked both schools, they both seem really innovative!

Just did the interview and I really liked the school. Hoping it pans out

Waitlisted, interviewed 3/26

Lmao i got my answer

Also waitlisted interviewed 3/26. Maybe it’s a glitch lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
girl door GIF

all the April interview folks rn

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Yea it doesn’t even mention the intveriew . Just for submitting an app.
Right?! Something is off....just waiting on someone to have the balls to email them to say...."Are you sure about that?" lol

Reactions: 3 users
Since it's nearing the end of the application cycle I'm not surprised they are waitlisting people. Probably making sure there's enough room for other interviewing applicants and waiting for May 1st when accepted students drop their spots