KHSC-Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnowyMoon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an email inviting me to apply to this new school. Just received pre-accred to admit for August 2022. Apparently the previous dean of ICOM took up the job of working in a new school in Wichita, KS. Anyone have any information on how this school is looking to shape up? I haven't found out much through google about rotations. On a positive note, it is connected to a non-profit health science center in Wichita, not sure if that makes the school non-profit though I would assume so.

@PapaGuava looks like another one to add to the DO specific discussion board.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

Yes, its non profit. The same company has other schools too. Their website says they are a premiere force in higher education, so with that track record its bound to be a top DO school.

Just got an email inviting me to apply to this new school. Just received pre-accred to admit for August 2022. Apparently the previous dean of ICOM took up the job of working in a new school in Wichita, KS. Anyone have any information on how this school is looking to shape up? I haven't found out much through google about rotations. On a positive note, it is connected to a non-profit health science center in Wichita, not sure if that makes the school non-profit though I would assume so.

Thanks for the heads up! I will be sure to check into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Brand new schools can be fraught with hazards. It takes time for The Faculty to gelled and deliver a coherent curriculum, they usually do not invest in clinical rotations to the degree that established schools do, they also usually do not invest in student services such as counseling or learning services.

As such, I cannot recommend a new school until they graduate a class.

Reactions: 4 users
Tuition is not bad, but not great. Should I bother applying? I currently hold 1 DO acceptance, but CoA is 400k+.

I think I saw somewhere that apps opened in December but I'm mind boggled that a school would just ~appear~ out of thin air halfway through the cycle.
haha thats what i thought...i was like how did i miss this in the list

I think the private loan issue is only for for-profit schools before they graduate their first class.

Just shot my shot and sent in my primary. Anyone else done the same yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if this school will meet their class size if they have those hard cut offs. My stats are below the hard cutoffs someone mentioned above. Guess we'll see.

Not sure if this school will meet their class size if they have those hard cut offs. My stats are below the hard cutoffs someone mentioned above. Guess we'll see.
They will at least get the weirdos that have good stats but didn't interview well at other programs. No school will leave seats open because they don't have enough students that meet their "standards." They would be losing 200K a person if the class isn't full.

Oh trust me they'll have 2-3x the number of ACCEPTED applicants (for each seat) even this late in the game to pick from (many will drop as they get off waitlists at better schools). They could make tuition $90k and people would still line up. At the end of the day the worst physician can still make $250k/year and everybody would rather start ASAP (despite the hurdles of a new school) than delay *potential* earnings. Just look at how Caribb schools have 3-4 start dates per year (lining up with US school start dates, january, summer, etc) for people who don't get in. Some of those students will end up getting accepted here and etc.
I would rather go here then apply again. Lol
But I guess depends. Also I don’t think many people know about this school? Like I randomly found out from a friend

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for it if the school is cheaper. DO schools are basically all the same in the eyes of PDs. If you're an above-average student you'll graduate and match without any hiccups in 4 years. It's the weaker students that should be worried about disorganization and lack of resources of a new school (<3.3/<502).
Idk. I don't think it's worth it. They have no information on their pre-clinical curriculum or rotations.

Aight so does anybody know what the "Immunization Document" section on the secondary is referring to? Like our COVID card? Or proof of basic ones like polio MMR etc?
I'd guess its the proof of basic ones. Might want to just email admissions to double check.

Additionally, since you've gotten the secondary, wanna post the essay questions? :D
Asking for a friend

anyone receive an email today saying to fill out the secondary but not received one in their inbox yet?

anyone receive an email today saying to fill out the secondary but not received one in their inbox yet?
If I may ask, what was the email address that you received this email from?

Yeah I emailed them!

Prompts:

What failures have you experienced that have shaped you as an individual and prepared you for the rigors of medical school?
What have you found as the most effective way to prioritize your time?
What individuals and experiences have led to your interest in Osteopathic Medicine and motivated you to apply to KHSC-KansasCOM?

No word or character limits
thank you!! I just received the secondary myself. Please let us know what they say!

I didn't get a secondary. Not sure if the cutoffs they have are hard but I do fall below it.

Aight so does anybody know what the "Immunization Document" section on the secondary is referring to? Like our COVID card? Or proof of basic ones like polio MMR etc?
I’m also wondering why it says “upload” on the Essay — does that refer to Personal Statement? And the Background check, Recommendation Letters have a “Required” next to it. Aren’t those documents accessed through the AACOMAS? I would really rather not ask my professors AGAIN to send the letters. What I’m saying is, I thought we only complete the supplemental application (essay questions, etc. and payment) and the rest (primary, personal statement, recommendations, etc) were accessed by the school through AACOMAS..?

OMG I just found about this school few days ago and applied two days ago. They sent me a secondary and told me that IIs start this week.

That happened to me. I received another email that I should've received an secondary in the email, but I didn't. I emailed them back, and they said there's a glitch in the system on their end, and they are fixing it rn. You should receive it because the admission counselor emailed me separately to ask any Qs during the process.

I just called them and they told me that if you are above the 500 and 3.5 gpa, you should automatically get a secondary and if you are below that then someone checks your application and if you are near the borders of that so like a 499 MCAT but still have a 3.5 or higher GPA then you still get a secondary. I have a 3.4 GPA and a below 500 mcat so I’m guessing I won’t be a getting a secondary. Also they said that they’re sending out interviews now and they actually plan to conclude by March.

I just called them and they told me that if you are above the 500 and 3.5 gpa, you should automatically get a secondary and if you are below that then someone checks your application and if you are near the borders of that so like a 499 MCAT but still have a 3.5 or higher GPA then you still get a secondary. I have a 3.4 GPA and a below 500 mcat so I’m guessing I won’t be a getting a secondary. Also they said that they’re sending out interviews now and they actually plan to conclude by March.
I got a secondary and my gpa is 3.3-3.4/MCAT 508.

EDIT: sorry I read your response wrong thinking you won't be getting it cuz of ur gpa, but it's the MCAT instead.

EDIT: sorry I read your response wrong thinking you won't be getting it cuz of ur gpa, but it's the MCAT instead.
Hi. On the secondary, I’m assuming we obtain a copy of our immunization record and upload it?

Also, have you tried clicking on the status and “view” tab to see your primary? Mine looks weird. (Like no answer for ethnicity/race, etc).

Hi. On the secondary, I’m assuming we obtain a copy of our immunization record and upload it?

Also, have you tried clicking on the status and “view” tab to see your primary? Mine looks weird. (Like no answer for ethnicity/race, etc).
Yes, my hospital has the immunization records online, so I uploaded a pdf of it.

I did see my primary, and it does have some fields missing, but since our AACOMAS app was also sent to them, they could look at that there. I wouldn't worry much about it.

I haven’t yet uploaded my immunizations because background check was there too (and I can’t initiate that on my own) so I kind of assumed it was for applicants who were accepted, just all part of the same portal…and I got an II! So I don’t think it’s critical to have uploaded at this point, especially since they didn’t give specifics (though I assume it’s the standard ones? plus COVID)

For those that got IIs, would you guys be willing to read my secondary once I am done? I have had no luck this cycle, so I would appreciate your guys feedback. :)

I haven’t yet uploaded my immunizations because background check was there too (and I can’t initiate that on my own) so I kind of assumed it was for applicants who were accepted, just all part of the same portal…and I got an II! So I don’t think it’s critical to have uploaded at this point, especially since they didn’t give specifics (though I assume it’s the standard ones? plus COVID)
While it seems the document checklist is there to see/view, I don’t see anything about receipt of my secondary submission (like, the supplemental essays)… Where did it go?

The secondary app isn't listed on the checklist. As long as you see application fee received youre good. "Essay" and "Application for Admission" both refer to stuff pulled from AACOMAS
Did the secondary cost extra money? Jw cuz William Carey seccie was free LOL

Yeah I emailed them!

Prompts:

What failures have you experienced that have shaped you as an individual and prepared you for the rigors of medical school?
What have you found as the most effective way to prioritize your time?
What individuals and experiences have led to your interest in Osteopathic Medicine and motivated you to apply to KHSC-KansasCOM?

No word or character limits
There is a word limit of 500 words for each prompt. Found this out when I wrote more than 500 lol

Got an II around noon today. I see that they are booking 20 interview slots a day. Booked for 2/3. Any one interviewing on 1/27, could you share how the day went? What was the interview type? What was the format? What was the schedule for the day? Do they tell us the interviewer before hand?

I received a secondary 493-497 Mcat score and >3.7 sgpa and cgpa.

Last edited:
in terms of education and loans whats the difference between for profit and non profit schools?

For those who received an II, how long after secondary was it?

Just submitted secondary!! *fingers crossed*

Reactions: 5 users
Is it necessary to have our professors upload the recommendations to the secondary? Or will they receive it from AACOMAS?

Is it necessary to have our professors upload the recommendations to the secondary? Or will they receive it from AACOMAS?
They will receive it from AACOMAS since they have our primary. I am assuming... lolol

I go to the MD school here and live not far from the *future* site of this campus (it isn't finished yet per my driveby and GoogleStreetView).

I'm sure the preclinical curriculum will be fine, but please understand that we have a huge medical school class that takes up the clinical rotations in the city already, and that our PA/NP school (Wichita State) and closest DO schools all have to travel for 3rd and 4th year clinicals, and that will likely be the reality for this school. Plenty of outpatient rotations available, I'm sure.

I mostly just wanted to make this post to make sure the OP is aware that the "Health Science Center" does not refer to a hospital, as there is no affiliated hospital at this medical school at this time. The two major chains in the city already have students/residencies through the state MD school.

A while back I applied to new DO schools as well, though, and I would totally have come here if it were my only choice.

Reactions: 8 users
Just an FYI for everyone applying to this school. I asked about first year's ability to take out federal loans and this was the response:

"We fully anticipate students being able to apply for/receive federal financial aid. We are currently still in the process of applying for Title IV funding, which allows enrolled students to apply for aid. We anticipate that this should happen sometime between April and June this year. You may want to reach out to our financial aid advisor, Val Hill ([email protected]), for more specific information regarding financial aid."

Rooting for all of you guys applying to this school. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I go to the MD school here and live not far from the *future* site of this campus (it isn't finished yet per my driveby and GoogleStreetView).

I'm sure the preclinical curriculum will be fine, but please understand that we have a huge medical school class that takes up the clinical rotations in the city already, and that our PA/NP school (Wichita State) and closest DO schools all have to travel for 3rd and 4th year clinicals, and that will likely be the reality for this school. Plenty of outpatient rotations available, I'm sure.

I mostly just wanted to make this post to make sure the OP is aware that the "Health Science Center" does not refer to a hospital, as there is no affiliated hospital at this medical school at this time. The two major chains in the city already have students/residencies through the state MD school.

A while back I applied to new DO schools as well, though, and I would totally have come here if it were my only choice.
M1 at KCU here. We also have a rotation site in Wichita (Ascension), and I'm super curious where the KHSC people will go for rotations two years later with Wichita, KC, Joplin and Tulsa all having local med schools already. We don't exactly have to travel for rotations though as contrary to the quote as most of our OOS sites are highly competitive (but we do have quite a few sites in rural Missouri and Kansas...).

To those considering applying to KansasCOM, the school has hard cutoffs for MCAT and GPA; minimum 500 and 3.0 for sGPA and cGPA. These are stated on their ChooseDO webpage and KHSC handbook, as well as when I reached out to their admissions office. It is also important to consider if the school is qualified for federal student loans because these loans come with better interest rates and repayment options after graduation. I remember that new schools like ICOM, Noorda, and CHSU have to rely on private loans for the first few entering classes.

(*4 possible DO schools in the future) The guy who helped to open ICOM is trying to open another for-profit DO school in Florida called Orlando College of Osteopathic Medicine. Likewise, Morgan State is partnering with a private developer hoping to open another for-profit DO school. Rocky Vista tries to open another DO school in Montana. Touro also wants to open one in Montana as well.
So I just got a secondary for this school. I’m over the MCAT cut off by my undergrad GPA is a bit under. Their handbook was from 2020 and it doesn’t state a hard cut off on their website. I would still apply if you have the resources too. But thanks for the tip about the student loans. Completely overlooked that.