You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016
Started by AlteredScale
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Accepted!! Got the letter today:
II: 2/18
Interview: 3/28
Portal update: 4/18
Received letter today, 4/22
Congrats on the acceptance! It's great to see someone with a late March interview get accepted. I'm still waiting on a portal change. Would you mind sharing your stats?
Congrats on the acceptance! It's great to see someone with a late March interview get accepted. I'm still waiting on a portal change. Would you mind sharing your stats?
Thank you so much!! I never checked my LizzyM score, but here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.67
sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 503
Volunteering, some research, a lot of shadowing experience (DO and MD), and a LOT of work experience (non-clinical).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Good luck in med school!Thank you so much!! I never checked my LizzyM score, but here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.67
sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 503
Volunteering, some research, a lot of shadowing experience (DO and MD), and a LOT of work experience (non-clinical).
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Good luck in med school!
No problem! Good luck to you as well!!
Waitlisted yesterday, Interview 4/1, Portal change 4/18, letter received 4/22
Last edited:
Got into the directed studies pathway. This wasn't my top pathway so I don't know much detail about it. Can someone explain what the day to day schedule is or how different it is from regular lecture pathway. Any extra details would be helpful.
Got into the directed studies pathway. This wasn't my top pathway so I don't know much detail about it. Can someone explain what the day to day schedule is or how different it is from regular lecture pathway. Any extra details would be helpful.
you basically learn on your own. they give you learning objectives that you can answer to help guide you when reading the text books. Then you're tested and that's it. No powerpoints are given except for anatomy i think.
Got into the directed studies pathway. This wasn't my top pathway so I don't know much detail about it. Can someone explain what the day to day schedule is or how different it is from regular lecture pathway. Any extra details would be helpful.
I'm not sure what DSP is like because I'm in PBL at a different campus. If your top pathway was LDP, I almost guarantee you'll be able to switch into it (since you asked how different DSP is from the regular lecture pathway). That's probably not the case if your top pathway was PBL, PCSP (which I think shares a pre-clinical schedule with DSP although I'm not sure) or the APAP program.
I'm in LDP so I don't know all the details of DSP but from my understanding they get learning modules for each exam which is basically just a set of learning objectives to guide their readings. They don't officially get powerpoints unless it's for a lecture they are required to attend (OPP, H&P and anatomy) but they are often able to get them from classmates in LDP. Most of them form study groups to make the material a little more manageable. They also have scheduled quizes/meetings with professors to make sure they are staying on track and can ask questions. LDP and DSP are often learning the same information and if they have nothing scheduled during our lectures they are welcome to attend. During anatomy, the first 12ish weeks of the semester, LDP and DSP have pretty much the same schedule so if during anatomy you decide that you really like lecture it would be super easy to switch into LDP.Got into the directed studies pathway. This wasn't my top pathway so I don't know much detail about it. Can someone explain what the day to day schedule is or how different it is from regular lecture pathway. Any extra details would be helpful.
Oops sorry I thought you were asking if anyone interviewed without an MCAT which I was going to say yes.. met a few people in that scenario at the interview. Not sure about acceptances though.Has anyone been accepted to LECOM without an MCAT?
Anyone know what the waitlist movement is like for LECOM?
If you interviewed at Seton Hill today, you guys looked great! And sorry if you ran into grouchy second years. We had two shelf exams this morning.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was waitlisted at LECOM-Erie in January, which seems like forever ago. Should I be contacting the school with updates, or is it just a wait-and-see if I get an acceptance letter kind of thing? I am sure the admissions office is swamped with people calling right now.
I was waitlisted at LECOM-Erie in January, which seems like forever ago. Should I be contacting the school with updates, or is it just a wait-and-see if I get an acceptance letter kind of thing? I am sure the admissions office is swamped with people calling right now.
Same
I remember earlier in the thread that LECOM is receptive to letters of interest.I was waitlisted at LECOM-Erie in January, which seems like forever ago. Should I be contacting the school with updates, or is it just a wait-and-see if I get an acceptance letter kind of thing? I am sure the admissions office is swamped with people calling right now.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I remember earlier in the thread that LECOM is receptive to letters of interest. .
Where would this be sent? Via email to the admissions office? I guess I am paranoid about appearing unprofessional sending it to the wrong people/place or having a letter of interest do more harm than good
To answer everyone's questions, yes LECOM historically has had a good amount of waitlist movement, which continues all the way up until school starts since people are shifting seats around based on other decisions as well!
To answer everyone's questions, yes LECOM historically has had a good amount of waitlist movement, which continues all the way up until school starts since people are shifting seats around based on other decisions as well!
Do you know if there is a deferred acceptance possibility? Like for the next year's class?
From http://lecom.edu/academics/the-college-of-medicine/faq-college-of-medicine/Do you know if there is a deferred acceptance possibility? Like for the next year's class?
"Deferrals are only granted when an accepted student is deployed by the military."
I would send any correspondence written/typed to the office of student affairs.Where would this be sent? Via email to the admissions office? I guess I am paranoid about appearing unprofessional sending it to the wrong people/place or having a letter of interest do more harm than good
I also don't see how a letter of interest would do any harm. From everything I've read, at most, it would remain neutral in your file.
Where would this be sent? Via email to the admissions office? I guess I am paranoid about appearing unprofessional sending it to the wrong people/place or having a letter of interest do more harm than good
Send a physical letter to the office of admissions where you sent everything else to. Include your applicant ID #, name, sign the letter with pen at the end. Update them on what you've done since you initially submitted the application and why you should be accepted. Anything positive ie GPA improvements, EC's, work activity, awards, publications are worthwhile mentions.
Send a physical letter to the office of admissions where you sent everything else to. Include your applicant ID #, name, sign the letter with pen at the end. Update them on what you've done since you initially submitted the application and why you should be accepted. Anything positive ie GPA improvements, EC's, work activity, awards, publications are worthwhile mentions.
Thank you!
For any current students reading this, how many students use the issued E books vs buy the hard copies? Also, how many people have both laptops and tablets for resources? I have a Mac and am thinking of getting an iPad to study from, maybe using iCloud to access my documents between the two, or primarily using the iPad for reading the E books. Any insight into this would be great!
I have an interview here this week. I gather that this is a closed application, group interview that centers on discussion questions? What kind of questions are typically asked?
I just called LECOM Seton Hill because my wait list paperwork said Seton Hill specifically and she said that there are separate wait lists and depending on your preference is dependent upon what wait list you are on. I am on the Seton Hill PBL wait list and am not considered for the other programs. She also said the next interview date is this Thursday and then they will start taking people off of the wait list at that time...so in about a week people will start being accepted from the wait list.
I gave up my spot on the wait-list today after getting accepted to Marian! From someone who has been on 3 wait-lists for months, I can sincerely say good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! I believe in all of you!
Congratulations and good luck to you as well!I gave up my spot on the wait-list today after getting accepted to Marian! From someone who has been on 3 wait-lists for months, I can sincerely say good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! I believe in all of you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For any current students reading this, how many students use the issued E books vs buy the hard copies? Also, how many people have both laptops and tablets for resources? I have a Mac and am thinking of getting an iPad to study from, maybe using iCloud to access my documents between the two, or primarily using the iPad for reading the E books. Any insight into this would be great!
A lot of people have a tablet in addition to a laptop - I have several of the books on hand and some people absolutely love highlighting everything in their books, scribbling notes in margins, etc - but everyone has their own study methods. I personally am a heavy e-book user since, as you mentioned utilizing a cloud ie Dropbox is very useful for having everything synced and I get to have all my books on me at all times. But I'm also less of a highlighter person and more of an outliner/flashcard user. I'd say about 80% of the class primarily uses physical textbooks from just what I've seen. As far as tablets go, iPad and Surface both work well and I'm sure there are others that are fine as well. Also, some people just hate staring at a computer/tablet screen for hours on end so you'll need to figure out which type you are.
I just called LECOM Seton Hill because my wait list paperwork said Seton Hill specifically and she said that there are separate wait lists and depending on your preference is dependent upon what wait list you are on. I am on the Seton Hill PBL wait list and am not considered for the other programs. She also said the next interview date is this Thursday and then they will start taking people off of the wait list at that time...so in about a week people will start being accepted from the wait list.
Funny, I talked to someone else in the administration and they told me the waitlist is for both and which campus your application is on didn't matter. I specifically asked because when I called admissions, they told me the same as what you heard.
good luck to people on the wait-list! I took my name off the list so one less person
This is a long shot, but does anyone have any idea how the WL is ranked? GPA/MCAT > interview or vice versa?
That's what I am trying to figure out. I had a mind to withdraw my app and try again next year, but I saw my portal change today. While waiting I have been accepted to a special master's/post-bac program and I had started making preparations to matriculate in the near future. I see that a few people have been accepted outright recently, but my stats are average so I was not expecting an acceptance...
My friend is looking to get rid of her 2 bedroom lease at Laural Springs (right across from LECOM). She is paying until June 15 and would like for someone to take over after that and you would skip out on the waiting list for these apartments. Please PM me if interested.
Has anyone gotten off the waitlist?
How did your portal change? And is it for Seton Hill or Main campus? Thanks!That's what I am trying to figure out. I had a mind to withdraw my app and try again next year, but I saw my portal change today. While waiting I have been accepted to a special master's/post-bac program and I had started making preparations to matriculate in the near future. I see that a few people have been accepted outright recently, but my stats are average so I was not expecting an acceptance...
Could someone help me out? So i have been on the wait list for seton hill since december and i want to send an update/LOI and my question is this: how big is this school on diversity? Because like i am a fan of the school, and enjoyed my time interviewing etc, but the vibe i got was that the school is not super diverse, and does not really scream about being diversity driven, the way some other med schools do, ex drexel, cooper, etc
i have a number of updates like community service and research, but one of my updates is about stuff im organizing in the Muslim community that is not medicine related. It's cool stuff---but I don't know if this is the kind of school that would be totally receptive to updates about Muslim stuff and i don't know if people on the admissions committee are trump supporters if you get my drift
thoughts?
i have a number of updates like community service and research, but one of my updates is about stuff im organizing in the Muslim community that is not medicine related. It's cool stuff---but I don't know if this is the kind of school that would be totally receptive to updates about Muslim stuff and i don't know if people on the admissions committee are trump supporters if you get my drift
thoughts?
How did your portal change? And is it for Seton Hill or Main campus? Thanks!
Field of Study
Location: LECOM Erie Major: Medicine
Status
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.
Has anyone heard anything about financial aid or when we should expect to receive our award statement? Should be soon, right?
Waitlist movement possibly begins this week! 
Waitlist movement possibly begins this week!![]()
Interviewed at SH Friday (very last day I think?) and absolutely loved the experience! Will be exciting to see how everything works out with waitlist movement and decisions now
Yah they said 2-3 weeksfor FA packages
They sent out the finalized stuff for my class last week, so I'd imagine you guys will be hearing soon.
That said, pretty much everybody is eligible for the full cost of attendance in federal loans, so it's not like undergrad where it's first-come-first-serve. If you've been accepted, you'll get a financial aid package. (Caveat: if you're international I have no idea how loans work. Don't ask me)
LECOM does have some scholarships but they're not huge-- I won't quote a number because I don't remember-- plus those typically aren't awarded until late in the summer right before the semester starts-- so don't budget around them or hold your breath waiting to hear about it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this waitlist process has given me multiple aneurysms....
this waitlist process has given me multiple aneurysms....
Surprised you can still type out such coherent thoughts!
So my application has been under review since July. Are they going to reject me anytime soon or offer me a last minute interview or what?
I've heard back from every school at this point but their school.
I believe the last interviews at SH were last week, can't speak for Erie but probably similar situation.
I was told hopefully in May 🙁Has anyone heard anything about financial aid or when we should expect to receive our award statement? Should be soon, right?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 226K
- Replies
- 161
- Views
- 42K
- Replies
- 79
- Views
- 15K
- Replies
- 157
- Views
- 29K
- Replies
- 540
- Views
- 144K