Last minute indecision... NSU vs. TUNCOM vs. VCOM-CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calivianya

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm questioning myself, as usual. Would like to run down the pros and cons of all the listed schools, to make sure I'm not missing anything, before the deadline to drop two of them on 5/15.

NSU

Pros:
  • Would like to live in the area long term
  • Husband gets to keep his job with his current company, which pays well, because they have a location near the school
  • Large campus with many, many other majors
  • Large Center for Collaborative Research on campus right next to health professions building... best school for strengthening my residency app?
  • Tons of things to do in the surrounding area
  • We enjoy ocean fishing and that's something we can do here... can totally see us hanging out on the pier at Lauderdale by the Sea, catching dinner while I catch up on listening to recorded lectures
  • Minor: husband is a huge Miami Dolphins fan, and we'd get free tickets to home games (he is psyched about this)
  • Overall, top lifestyle choice pick
Cons:
  • Most expensive COL - we found a two-bedroom apt in the ghetto for $1475/month and that's almost as low as it goes
  • Going to be the highest debt - see above
  • Declining board scores, but I've heard board scores are 99% about the individual anyway and I tend to do well on standardized exams
  • Lottery for third year rotation sites, and they're all over the place
  • Mandatory rural rotation
  • The traffic... OMG

TUNCOM

Pros:
  • Liked the area - lots of things to do
  • Good stats on board pass rates
  • Do not push primary care at all
  • All rotation sites within a 35 minute drive of school <- largest plus IMO
  • Lower cost of living - can rent a nice house for $1200/month
  • Caring, easy to access faculty
  • Lots of vacation days for Jewish holidays
Cons:
  • My husband's field doesn't pay anything out there - he'll lose at least 1/3 of his income
  • What he does find that pays more will involve him dealing with California traffic, which he hates with a passion
  • School is only moderate-sized with only other health professions programs
  • No ocean fishing for the husband, but at least he can find other fun things to do here
  • The subpar facilities - anatomy lab is just stretchers with body bags, etc.

VCOM-CC

Pros:
  • Cheap - lowest tuition, lowest cost of living <- least amount of debt
  • Brand spanking new facilities
  • Really put their best foot forward on interview day - the most organized, most on top of it school by a mile
Cons:
  • Only a medical school
  • Holy family med, Batman! They really push primary care
  • Area - very little to do; husband will be bored out of his mind
  • Husband may not be able to keep current job - around a ~2 hour drive from Spartanburg. He is undecided as to whether he'd give it up to find a closer, lower-paying job

I'm leaning very heavily toward NSU, but I've still got a lot of "what if" running through my head. Am I missing anything crucial?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would do NSU - campus is beautiful, with their MD/DO programs and new hospital being built Nova will be a powerhouse in that area. Also they link to a hospital in the area which is good for top specialties (most of their ortho matches go there). It is expensive but I think worth it. Seems like it fits your life better too. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I'm questioning myself, as usual. Would like to run down the pros and cons of all the listed schools, to make sure I'm not missing anything, before the deadline to drop two of them on 5/15.

In your situation, would opt for Nova. You said you want to stay in South Florida long term and Nova has a very good reputation with very good residency matches in the area. Better family financial situation especially with your husband able to keep his current job. Seems like a no-brainer. Best of Luck.

Pros:
  • Would like to live in the area long term
  • Husband gets to keep his job with his current company, which pays well, because they have a location near the school
  • Large campus with many, many other majors
  • Large Center for Collaborative Research on campus right next to health professions building... best school for strengthening my residency app?
  • Tons of things to do in the surrounding area
  • We enjoy ocean fishing and that's something we can do here... can totally see us hanging out on the pier at Lauderdale by the Sea, catching dinner while I catch up on listening to recorded lectures
  • Minor: husband is a huge Miami Dolphins fan, and we'd get free tickets to home games (he is psyched about this)
  • Overall, top lifestyle choice pick
Cons:
  • Most expensive COL - we found a two-bedroom apt in the ghetto for $1475/month and that's almost as low as it goes
  • Going to be the highest debt - see above
  • Declining board scores, but I've heard board scores are 99% about the individual anyway and I tend to do well on standardized exams
  • Lottery for third year rotation sites, and they're all over the place
  • Mandatory rural rotation
  • The traffic... OMG

TUNCOM

Pros:
  • Liked the area - lots of things to do
  • Good stats on board pass rates
  • Do not push primary care at all
  • All rotation sites within a 35 minute drive of school <- largest plus IMO
  • Lower cost of living - can rent a nice house for $1200/month
  • Caring, easy to access faculty
  • Lots of vacation days for Jewish holidays
Cons:
  • My husband's field doesn't pay anything out there - he'll lose at least 1/3 of his income
  • What he does find that pays more will involve him dealing with California traffic, which he hates with a passion
  • School is only moderate-sized with only other health professions programs
  • No ocean fishing for the husband, but at least he can find other fun things to do here
  • The subpar facilities - anatomy lab is just stretchers with body bags, etc.

VCOM-CC

Pros:
  • Cheap - lowest tuition, lowest cost of living <- least amount of debt
  • Brand spanking new facilities
  • Really put their best foot forward on interview day - the most organized, most on top of it school by a mile
Cons:
  • Only a medical school
  • Holy family med, Batman! They really push primary care
  • Area - very little to do; husband will be bored out of his mind
  • Husband may not be able to keep current job - around a ~2 hour drive from Spartanburg. He is undecided as to whether he'd give it up to find a closer, lower-paying job

I'm leaning very heavily toward NSU, but I've still got a lot of "what if" running through my head. Am I missing anything crucial?

Well if you decide not to choose Nova, I'd be happy to take your spot.

-Fellow WL'er.

Also, I live in the area. What do you classify as "the ghetto", where are you even looking? Nova is in a pretty decent place. Living around there isn't too expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Well if you decide not to choose Nova, I'd be happy to take your spot.

-Fellow WL'er.

Also, I live in the area. What do you classify as "the ghetto", where are you even looking? Nova is in a pretty decent place. Living around there isn't too expensive.
Nova is in a decent place, but most of the close apartments are way out of our budget. He is not willing to share space with another med student/roommate, and I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea either.

I'm currently applying at Grove East in Plantation for an apartment because of the price point ($1475 for a two bedroom). The reviews on Facebook are mixed - a bunch say it's a good place; others say they have a white noise generator to drown out the gun shots and that people jump the fence to vandalize the cars.

I guess I'll find out for myself if I end up living there. :laugh:

Last edited:
Nova is in a decent place, but most of the close apartments are way out of our budget. He is not willing to share space with another med student/roommate, and I can't say I'm thrilled with the idea either.

I'm currently applying at Grove East in Plantation for an apartment because of the price point ($1475 for a two bedroom). The reviews on Facebook are mixed - a bunch say it's a good place; others say they have a white noise generator to drown out the gun shots and that people jump the fence to vandalize the cars.

I guess I'll find out for myself if I end up living there. :laugh:

PM me. Generally in South Florida, the more east you go, the worst the area gets, until you get closer to the beach. East plantation still isn't that bad. However if you go directly north from that area, you will hit Lauderdale. Lauderdale is a "ghetto" place.

Search a little more "west". But PM me, and I'll give you some suggestions of where to look for nice places