LECOM - Seton Hill Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey does anyone know if we'll have simulated patients, both the robots and the actors at Seton Hill?

Members don't see this ad.

So I actually asked the Seton Hill VP that question... he wasn't sure at the time (Feb) if we would have sim men (robot) ... didn't sound like we would - unless someone has heard anything new regarding that.

About the white coat, i haven't heard any news if and when the ceremony would be.

I think the best bet is to email Dr. Freeman and get the most up to date info ... he is really good about answering questions and is prompt responding.

After some research, it looks like the white coat ceremony for the class of 2012 was held this past January 10th of 2009, so I assume ours will be in January of 2010.

I'm surprised. I thought it would be at the beginning of the school year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Always in a rush to get to school? Located 5 minutes from campus are 1 bedroom studios available for rent to graduate students. Ideally located on a very safe and quiet street. The building sits one turn off of the main road in front of Seton Hill. This home has common areas such as kitchen with all appliances, study area with chairs and tables, living room with couches, t.v. and pool table. No hidden fees! All utilities are included: gas, electric, water, cable, internet, pool table and weight room use and free off street parking. On site coin operated laundry available. No car? No worries, the bus line passes right by the building. Within walking distance to restaurants and convenience stores.
All rooms are $500.00/month
Currently accepting applications. Contact: 724-610-0700 or email [email protected]

I actually am not sure about that. I got accepted and put down my initial deposit but am seriously re-thinking this school because of it's non-traditional teaching format.

Did anyone stay for the PBL demo offered at the end of the interview day? I had to leave early to catch a flight. Can someone give me some insight into the PBL format if we have dissection based anatomy, and if not, what way we will be taught anatomy?

I stayed for the session. I really enjoyed it. It is alot more structured that you think. What they do is present you with a case. Then everyone gets a book and looks up the answers to the question we ask. For instance, you are presented with a 42 year old male presenting with chest pain. You learn how to take a history and physical and ask questions to get to know the patient and find out more info. Then you request tests. You look up the tests in your books and write the page numbers down on the board. You continue to do this for everything throughout the session. You also look up the physiology of what can cause chest pain. Once the session is over, the group picks out 150 or so pages, from the pages written on the board, and that is what you need to read and be responsible for the next meeting. I hope this helps if u have more questions just ask. :)

have any of you gone and seen the facilities they have at seton hill?

I'll be making a trip out there May 4-5, I'll let you know! :)

I actually am not sure about that. I got accepted and put down my initial deposit but am seriously re-thinking this school because of it's non-traditional teaching format.

Did anyone stay for the PBL demo offered at the end of the interview day? I had to leave early to catch a flight. Can someone give me some insight into the PBL format if we have dissection based anatomy, and if not, what way we will be taught anatomy?

Do a search on here and go back through some of the threads dealing with PBL..... but if you didn't get a handle on it during the interview make SURE that you at least have a good understanding of what it is and what it entails.

I'm in Bradenton so I'm not sure what all is planned for Seton Hill, but I would assume it would be structured similar to here.

Not that's a leaps and bounds better or worse than lecture based, it's just different and you need to make sure that would be happy learning that way, it requires a lot of work on your part but it can work as evidenced here for the past few years. If it works for then you'll do fine and learn a lot, if not then you may be miserable in that type of curriculum.

Does anybody have an idea how full the Seton Hill-PBL is. I'm interviewing this week and am assuming its for the waitlist....but I'm not giving up hope

i visited seton hill about a week ago and met with the vp irv freeman. i asked him how many spots were open. he said that as of 4-16 he had received 102 deposits for 112 seats.

about the sim man, do they have those at lecom erie?

any idea when they will stop interviewing....i've heard of people interviewing up until the 24th but not after so far

Members don't see this ad :)
To people who have visited Seton Hill. What did you think of it?

any idea when they will stop interviewing....i've heard of people interviewing up until the 24th but not after so far

I just interviewed on the 27th and it seemed like this might have been the last week.

seton hill is setup for pbl. that being said it isn't as big as the erie campus by a long shot. it wasn't completely finished when i was there. it is the bottom floor of a building at seton hill. it was rennovated to have faculty offices on the perimeter and something like 6 ish pbl rooms in the center. um...as for auditorium space on the floor above this one they will be using one of seton hills auditoriums. i think that seton hill will still hold classes in the auditorium when lecom isn't. the library is in a different building just across the street as is the omm lab.

If you attend Seton Hill will you do rotations in the four hospitals related to the Excela Health System. Would your rotation only be in Pa.

I visited campus on May 5th and Irv said they were still interviewing and not all the spots are filled. I don't really have anything new to report that someone else hasn't already, but if anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to ask. :D

Will Seton Hill admissions always go through Erie or they get their own admissions?

when interviewing at LECOM are you also interviewing for Seton Hill

Will Seton Hill admissions always go through Erie or they get their own admissions?

when i was there i asked the vice president of seton hill that. he was unsure as it would require them to get their own admissions faculty and a bit more staff. as of now seton hill is technically lecom-erie. they added more seats to the erie campus, but are hosting them in greensburg. i think that may be one reason why pbl in erie won't be using cadavers this year. it is becaue the curriculum at seton hill has to be the same as that in erie.

when you interview at erie you are interviewing for lecom-erie and lecom-seton hill. they ask you to rank (LDP, PBL-Erie, ISP, PCSP, PBL-Seton Hill) in the order you prefer at the the end of the day.

oh, and i'm pretty sure i will be opening up an LDP seat for you all at the beginning of the week.

I asked that question to the admissions director and she gave me a coy little smile. She said they don't know where teh school is going. I think that is the eventual plan if all goes well.

I asked that question to the admissions director and she gave me a coy little smile. She said they don't know where teh school is going. I think that is the eventual plan if all goes well.

Doesn't know where the school is going? Elaborate please.

Of course they probably do not know where it is going...we havent even started the first year of classes. Come on people! Give them time to get everything settled. The first year is always the roughest. They only use Erie for Financial Aid and Admissions otherwise they are pretty much on their own:thumbup:

I'm assuming that all of you get the federal unsubsidized and subsidized and the grad plus loans...i talked to the financial aid office and they said that the grad plus loan has an 8.5% interest rate and a 3% origination fee...is there a better loan we can take with a lower interest rate or are all of you taking the grad plus loans?

The GRAD Plus loan is going to be that fixed rate. It also depends on the lender. There were some lenders that were offering it at 8.25. However, they also had a high origination fee. The one I was looking at was 8.5 rate with 0% origination fee. The only other loans I can think of are private loans and you dont get the best deals with those either. SO...look at all your lender options.

The GRAD Plus loan is going to be that fixed rate. It also depends on the lender. There were some lenders that were offering it at 8.25. However, they also had a high origination fee. The one I was looking at was 8.5 rate with 0% origination fee. The only other loans I can think of are private loans and you dont get the best deals with those either. SO...look at all your lender options.

which one where you looking into?

Well I applied to the Total Higher Education because they do not accrue interest while I am in school if I understood the website correctly. Plus, I am not sure if I will need the loans or not. I am getting Boarded for the Army HPSP scholarship June 2, but I have to take out loans to be on the safe side. If I get the HPSP scholarship then I will be canceling my loans. If you have any other questions just post them I check this multiple times a day. :) Good Luck!

I was accepted today at Seton Hill. Excited but were do I find a place to live.

I was accepted today at Seton Hill. Excited but were do I find a place to live.

You should be receiving a matriculation packet soon. It will give a list of places. However, to get a jump on it go to mygreensburgapartment.com

Congrats! Make sure you join the Facebook group!

Are there books I should be purchasing, short white coat, etc.

Have you not received the matriculation packet? Everything you need is in there. Have you joined the facebook group?

The only matriculation packet that I received was from an e-mail attachment. I had been waitlisted and then told to get started with the paper work. 5 days later I was accepted at Seton Hill. I was accepted by telephone call on the 19th and told to wait for a letter it would tell me everything to do. I received the letter the 29th and they want the $1500 by the 29th, I called they extended it, but must be postmarked by June 1. Do you know do I send my paper work to Seton Hill or LECOM? No I have not added myself to facebook yet. I have no idea about apartments in Greensburg if anyone can help, please let me know. I sort of out of the loop, I've been doing mission work for the past year and not home yet.

As for your deposit Send it to the Erie Campus. If you have a Facebook account I would definitely recommend adding to the group. They have everything u could need about finding housing and getting to know the class.

I would call Seton Hill on Monday if you can: Main Phone No. 724-552-1373. As them any questions you have especially about getting the matriculation packet as well as the first memo (it contains the booklist). They are the nicest people. If you want to call LECOM Erie about the address for the deposit call this number Main Phone No. 814-866-6641. The people in Erie are great they do anything they can to help u out.

If you have any other questions email me at [email protected] :thumbup:

Thanks for the information, I sent my deposite today. I also E-mailed Linda Linville after calling Seton Hill and the secretary gave me her name as a contact for Seton Hill. Do they usually send the matriculation packet after they receive your money? What about the immunization records? Do all the shots need to be complete before July 25th?

Yes. Come to think of it they did send the packet AFTER I sent the deposit. I dont think all of the shots have to be done by the 25th. I would recommend getting all the titers and drug tests done ASAP. It was difficult for a few of us to find a place the does the specific drug/urine test. I found out that when I was immunized my Hepatitis B vaccine didnt work. SO I am in the process of getting all of those done and the shots wont me done until a few months from now. However, that being said I would still try to get all of them done ASAP. Also, you will have to have a Criminal Background Check done if your state make sure you do that quickly as well because that will take a few weeks.

Good Luck!

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you waitlisters know that I just withdrew my acceptance from Seton Hill. Hope one of you gets my spot...good luck!!

Hi everyone! I just received the secondary application from LCEOM, and theres one question asking for "First Campus Preference." I wonder if this would hinder my chances of getting into the other campus. I prefer Erie because theres an airport near by (I'm from FL).

Hi everyone! I just received the secondary application from LCEOM, and theres one question asking for "First Campus Preference." I wonder if this would hinder my chances of getting into the other campus. I prefer Erie because theres an airport near by (I'm from FL).
I have no official info on this but I'm pretty sure it did have some effect last year. I think what makes the biggest influence, as long as you're not originally from Erie or Pittsburg, is what pathway you pick. They evaluate you on what pathway you prefer and what one they either think you'll fit in or for what pathway they have openings for. This early in the game the latter shouldn't matter to much.
Good luck.

Just as an aside...Greensburg is only about an hour from Pittsburgh (along with the Pittsburgh airport). Its a quick drive on the interstate. I am from the Midwest so I have to fly when I go home. Some of my friends, I study with, are from Ohio so they will be dropping me off at the airport on their way home during breaks.

When I interviewed, you rated what pathway you wanted. If you wanted PBL they would ask you if you would be ok with going to Seton Hill. I got accepted in the beginning of Feburary and all of the PBL slots in Erie were full. SO I was accepted into the LDP pathway in Erie and also into PBL at Seton Hill. I love PBL so I went to Seton Hill and dont regret it a bit. If you want to do any other pathway you have to go to Erie because Seton Hill and Bradenton are both all PBL. Again the only thing that would hinder you from getting into another campus was if you did NOT want to do PBL.

Personally, I love PBL cause we have class for about 4 hours a day...then you have the rest of the day to study. Alot of us get together on campus somewhere for a good rest of the day to study together. However, you have to be a motivated studier on your own.

If you have any other questions just ask!:D

Alright, now this thread is moving. With class started at Seton Hill, I hope we can begin to get some feedback from first-handers.

DoctaJMa,

Congratulations, you are now one of only a hundred people on the planet earth qualified to answer questions on this subject. I just visited SetonHill on Friday to talk with Linda Linville and we had a great conversation but I was a bit concerned about a few major/minor things.

1. Non science faculty as PBL facillitators.
2. Self-directed Gross Anatomy in the style of PBL.
3. Rumor that rotations are limited to Excela Health.

What do you know? How is anatomy going to function for you? Any lingering concerns now that classes have begun?

I thought it seemed a bit more relaxed than the Erie campus, and Linda seemed very competent and did her job well as I left feeling very good. about the program.

Thanks for any feedback you can give us.
T

Alright, now this thread is moving. With class started at Seton Hill, I hope we can begin to get some feedback from first-handers.

DoctaJMa,

Congratulations, you are now one of only a hundred people on the planet earth qualified to answer questions on this subject. I just visited SetonHill on Friday to talk with Linda Linville and we had a great conversation but I was a bit concerned about a few major/minor things.

1. Non science faculty as PBL facillitators.
2. Self-directed Gross Anatomy in the style of PBL.
3. Rumor that rotations are limited to Excela Health.

What do you know? How is anatomy going to function for you? Any lingering concerns now that classes have begun?

I thought it seemed a bit more relaxed than the Erie campus, and Linda seemed very competent and did her job well as I left feeling very good. about the program.

Thanks for any feedback you can give us.
T

HEHE

Ok first I will address ur numbers!

1. All Facilitators are Science Faculty. They are either DO's or hold a PhD in some science field. Keep in mind we are learning medicine in PBL groups. However, to understand the Medicine of it you have to have a firm grasp of the science behind it to begin with. I have interacted with all of the professors and they all seem very competent to me. What I am trying to say is that the science profs (PhDs) understand the material just as well as the physicians with the exception of Anatomy.

2. Self-directed anatomy...it was interesting at first. I have to start by saying that if you are not a motivated self learner then maybe PBL is not your type of learning pathway. Even though you would be assigned certain pages for PBL to read, the expectation is that you will spend extra time looking up other stuff about the case. Anatomy is the same way. It may be "self-directed" but it is alot more structured that you think. You meet two times a week for Anatomy Forums. These include going over cases to reinforce what you should be learning that week. We are also given learning objects (like what are expected to know and pages to read and activities to do). It is not like they through a book at you and say read this. It is structured. So dont fret too much. It does get overwhelming sometimes becasue you are expected to read nearly 140 pages a week for each section of anatomy and have it down, but it is possible. Erie PBL has the same kind Anatomy as we do. They are doing the "self-directed" path as well. Again, I reiterate, if you are a proficient motivated self-studier then you will be fine. It is just alot of work...which med school is technically supposed to be.

3. If you want to stay in the area then your options (AT THIS TIME) may be limited to Excela. Dr. Ferretti is working on getting more rotations set up. Also, we have the option of rotating all over the country. I have fellow students/friends that are from Ohio that will most likely be rotating most of the time in Ohio. There are other options all over like California, Florida, Ohio, and so on. I will most likely be rotating in Iowa and Nebraska a few times.

To be honest with you I love it here at Seton Hill. I cannot imagine sitting in class from 8 to 4. I do alot better sitting at home reading the material and figuring things out on my own. Typically, we have 3 to 4 hours of lecture or PBL per day. Then the rest of the day is our own. With all of that time...techincally there is no reason you shouldnt be able to get the readings done and so on.

Also I have a group of friends I get together with twice a week and go over clinical relations to our material. Anatomy is going great for me...:xf:(test on Friday). I am a believer that if you put in the time and effort you will get that back out with passing scores. BTW Dr. Seeger (Anatomy, Embryo, and Histo Prof) is great. She even gets on Facebook at night and if we are on at the same time and have questions she will answer them for us. We also have a Question board you can ask questions on and a professor will get back to you within 12 to 24 hours.

If you have any other questions Just ask! :thumbup:

All Facilitators are Science Faculty.

I don't intend to be a contrarian but this was not my understanding given the discussion I had with Linda Linville, Admissions Director. In fact, she told me that she herself is a PBL facillitator and she has "studied very hard" to be able to keep up with the cases. I believe she said that her background is a M.Ed or somesuch advanced study in education. Not to knock the contribution that that experience might have on a group. Advanced study in education might actually make for a better facillitator. My concerns though are not about productive group dynamics but are focussed on the material to be studied.

While she seems competent enough, I left with a bit of trepidation about her ability to function as a facillitator for a discussion of what is essentially deep science. I understand that PBL is almost entirely self-directed, and as with anything else, it is what you make of it. However, there is always at least one knucklehead in the group(guilty here of having an ocassional thick-skull) and it seems to me that if a discussion gets off course, or begins to devolve into speculation there will be no one in such a PBL section to catch/correct any misstatements and share a deeper knowledge of the material.

In my own background as an instructor I have been a facillitator of seminar style discussion at the college level, but always in an area of my own expertise. I can't imagine what nonsense might have been thrown about if, as a facillitator, I was necessarily deferring to my students for verification of fact because of a deficit of training.

DoctaJMa, it seems that you have lucked out so far in your PBL groups. Please keep us informed if you happed to have Linda or another non-scientist type as a facillitator. I'd be very curious to know how sucessful it is. ;) I expect a full report at the end o' the semester.

Ciao,
T

I don't intend to be a contrarian but this was not my understanding given the discussion I had with Linda Linville, Admissions Director. In fact, she told me that she herself is a PBL facillitator and she has "studied very hard" to be able to keep up with the cases. I believe she said that her background is a M.Ed or somesuch advanced study in education. Not to knock the contribution that that experience might have on a group. Advanced study in education might actually make for a better facillitator. My concerns though are not about productive group dynamics but are focussed on the material to be studied.

While she seems competent enough, I left with a bit of trepidation about her ability to function as a facillitator for a discussion of what is essentially deep science. I understand that PBL is almost entirely self-directed, and as with anything else, it is what you make of it. However, there is always at least one knucklehead in the group(guilty here of having an ocassional thick-skull) and it seems to me that if a discussion gets off course, or begins to devolve into speculation there will be no one in such a PBL section to catch/correct any misstatements and share a deeper knowledge of the material.

In my own background as an instructor I have been a facillitator of seminar style discussion at the college level, but always in an area of my own expertise. I can't imagine what nonsense might have been thrown about if, as a facillitator, I was necessarily deferring to my students for verification of fact because of a deficit of training.

DoctaJMa, it seems that you have lucked out so far in your PBL groups. Please keep us informed if you happed to have Linda or another non-scientist type as a facillitator. I'd be very curious to know how sucessful it is. ;) I expect a full report at the end o' the semester.

Ciao,
T

I understand your concerns, and they are certainly warranted. However, do remember that the facilitators are just that...they make sure you progress. Usually, they are not going to take the time explaining science to you. The way PBL works is that you are given a case and symptoms. Then the group comes up with explanations for the symptoms. They explanations are based on what each person found in the book.

For instance, in our case our baby scores a 0 on the APGAR test for color. We had to look up the test and then predict what we thought was causing it. We then looked up blood gas tests, CBC, and congenital defects that cause cause a blue baby. When we looked up these tests we wrote down the pages on the board. Some were from Biochem books (for the science) and some were from the embryo book (development). We teach ourselves the material. The facilitator is there just to make sure you dont go off in the wrong direction. Like trying to focus on a symptom that is not important.

It is a plus to have a PhD or Physician because they MIGHT give you a tip once and awhile, but rarely do :). They shouldnt...we are teaching ourselves through discussion and interaction. The pages looked up in class are sent out to the group to read for the next session.

The only thing I can say is that when you go home and read the material and come across something you dont understand in the science...there is a professor in their office that can help you if you have questions.

I understand ur concern, and all I can say is they mainly facilitate and make sure we are on the right track rarely are they going to discuss science in the group setting...there isnt enough time for that.

Hope this helps!

Totally helps. I also went to the LECOM website and read up on the role of the facilitator. Pretty much as you've described. I think it's amazing that you're given the freedom and the confidence to learn on your own.

As far as anatomy, I've been reading about the trend away from cadaver/ dissection and it seems that for the most part schools are holding onto the tradition for historical or social reasons (a nod to Vesalius or an opportunity to discuss death and dying). It seems to be more of a rite of passage these days, a vestigial remnant.

I'm curious though, what particular resources are available to you at seton hill? For example, Acland's DVD's or Primal Pictures 3-D atlas?
Of course there are texts, but there's so much available multimedia. I wonder what resources LECOM has purchased licenses for and how robust are the machines for viewing them (RAM, monitor sizes, etc.) Any thoughts?

Thanks again. You're super generous.

T

Totally helps. I also went to the LECOM website and read up on the role of the facilitator. Pretty much as you've described. I think it's amazing that you're given the freedom and the confidence to learn on your own.

As far as anatomy, I've been reading about the trend away from cadaver/ dissection and it seems that for the most part schools are holding onto the tradition for historical or social reasons (a nod to Vesalius or an opportunity to discuss death and dying). It seems to be more of a rite of passage these days, a vestigial remnant.

I'm curious though, what particular resources are available to you at seton hill? For example, Acland's DVD's or Primal Pictures 3-D atlas?
Of course there are texts, but there's so much available multimedia. I wonder what resources LECOM has purchased licenses for and how robust are the machines for viewing them (RAM, monitor sizes, etc.) Any thoughts?

Thanks again. You're super generous.

T

We have a TON of resources. Achlands is actually one of our required materials for the learning objects given to use to know. I have not personally looked in the Library but I know we have 4 boxes of bones (complete skeletons), MANY atlas', there are tons of resources in the library. Most students, however, choose to have their own materials. We were required to have A main textbook (changes each year) plus at least one atlas. I have two atlas', the main text book, a BRS Gross Anatomy book (YOU SHOULD GET THIS), Grays Anatomy Notecards, and the A&P Revealed CD 2.0. THis Cd is one of the resources you will use the most (it takes the place of the cadavers).

There are many MANY resources for you to use, but I would budget a little extra money for your own extra books (even if you do not go to Seton Hill). Everyone in our class had bought supplimental materials to help them learn.

AS for Cadavers being a right of passage I can see that. I personally didnt really care if I had a cadaver or not. I had one in undergrad and enjoyed it then. Cadavers actually take up alot of time becasue of labs. Without the labs we are able to study and get further in material even though we are learning the same about of Anatomy material as those with cadavers (we just dont have to spend the time dissecting).

Keep firing the questions! :D

DoctaJMa, thank you for your candid insights. It's great to have an inside source. I checked out the A&P Revealed. Looks OK, but I've seen better. It appears to be geared toward anatomy at the undergraduate level. How about Primal Pictures or Visible Body? Visible Body is pretty amazing, full 3-D rendering and the ability to manipulate the model in real time - search and zoom in on structures, remove layers, view one half of the body as circulation only and the other half as PNS only. The possibilities are pretty limitless. Both are available online for a monthly subscription. I think it will be well worth it when the time comes.

Anyhow, thanks again and GOOD LUCK!

I'm about to take the MCAT on September 10 of this year. In case I was not satisfied with the score, does anyone know if LECOM still accepts the January MCAT?
I would also like to hear some feedback from those who started their first year at LECOM Seton Hill since it's the campus I'm interested in applying to.
Thank you all and good luck.:thumbup:

I'm about to take the MCAT on September 10 of this year. In case I was not satisfied with the score, does anyone know if LECOM still accepts the January MCAT?
I would also like to hear some feedback from those who started their first year at LECOM Seton Hill since it's the campus I'm interested in applying to.
Thank you all and good luck.:thumbup:

The took retook the MCAT in January last year after I had already interviewed and now I'm an OMS I at LECOM - Seton Hill.
I've don't know what much else to say beyond the last few topics. I feel I'm getting a good basic science education. I study until my brain is numb everyday.
Anatomy has been a blast... I was talking with some friends I have at Ohio State about anatomy and how it's going for them and we seem to be at an equal level factwise. They have a gross anatomy lab and do disections and say it is very interesting but spend hours every morning in the lab physicall trying to find a stucture. I'm happy with our self direction.
We had our first anatmy exams this last week and get our scores back today, we'll see then how it's actually working.
It's the first year this campus is open so there have been a few bumps in the road but the faculty have been very open with us abut everything and they are trying very hard to make things fair yet challenging for us.

The took retook the MCAT in January last year after I had already interviewed and now I'm an OMS I at LECOM - Seton Hill.
I've don't know what much else to say beyond the last few topics. I feel I'm getting a good basic science education. I study until my brain is numb everyday.
Anatomy has been a blast... I was talking with some friends I have at Ohio State about anatomy and how it's going for them and we seem to be at an equal level factwise. They have a gross anatomy lab and do disections and say it is very interesting but spend hours every morning in the lab physicall trying to find a stucture. I'm happy with our self direction.
We had our first anatmy exams this last week and get our scores back today, we'll see then how it's actually working.
It's the first year this campus is open so there have been a few bumps in the road but the faculty have been very open with us abut everything and they are trying very hard to make things fair yet challenging for us.
So, did they accept your first score or they interviewed you with the hope that you will score better on the January exam???
More insight please. Thank you.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.