LECOM - Seton Hill Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone with a different message than "LECOM-Erie within 10 days, LECOM-Seton Hill within 30 days" get in? I got a different message...I'm getting nervous...

Is "Seton Hill" listed on you status page?

Members don't see this ad.

oh yeah i see it...nvm...ok i feel better now lol

does anyone know how to login to the lecom status page...the admissions people said that that my status has been updated and to check to make sure everything is ok online...but i cant seem to find it. I tried logging in to the candidate portal but that's not showing my status as a matriculated student...

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how to login to the lecom status page...the admissions people said that that my status has been updated and to check to make sure everything is ok online...but i cant seem to find it. I tried logging in to the candidate portal but that's not showing my status as a matriculated student...

http://portal.lecom.edu/ics

Have you tried going to the Admissions tab?
On the left-hand side, you can click on Required Letters and Credits > View Folder items to see which documents you still need to turn in. Just be sure to use the drop-down menu next to Program to access your status for the right campus.

You can also go to Admissions Status to check if they've received your deposit. Mine says... "Congratuations, on your acceptance to LECOM at Seton Hill. We have received your matriculation fee and agreement. You will be contacted over the next few months."

Hope that helps!

http://portal.lecom.edu/ics

Have you tried going to the Admissions tab?
On the left-hand side, you can click on Required Letters and Credits > View Folder items to see which documents you still need to turn in. Just be sure to use the drop-down menu next to Program to access your status for the right campus.

You can also go to Admissions Status to check if they've received your deposit. Mine says... "Congratuations, on your acceptance to LECOM at Seton Hill. We have received your matriculation fee and agreement. You will be contacted over the next few months."

Hope that helps!

yea that helped a lot actually...thanks for walking me through that!! :)

so i still have some reservations about the whole pbl pathway thing. in comparison to normal courses how much info do you really cover? another thing that i find intimidating is perhaps not having an instructor that is an expert in an area i have a question in, as one would have to be a superhuman to know all about biochem/embryology/path/phys/etc. I'm not sure how confident I am in the pbl pathway is all, any ideas/advice?

I was considering LECOM-Seton Hill because it is very close to home. However, I was concerned about PBL too. I think PBL at Erie would be fine, but my thoughts were that LECOM-seton hill won't have all the profs available at to answer questions in every topic. Some of the profs are coming from Erie to facilitate PBL, and then they leave. This is how I understood what Irv Freeman told me.

I was considering LECOM-Seton Hill because it is very close to home. However, I was concerned about PBL too. I think PBL at Erie would be fine, but my thoughts were that LECOM-seton hill won't have all the profs available at to answer questions in every topic. Some of the profs are coming from Erie to facilitate PBL, and then they leave. This is how I understood what Irv Freeman told me.

I know they're hiring both full and part time faculty. I'm thinking the part time profs are the ones coming from Erie but there will be full time ones there, I think 13 full time. Erie is about 2.5 hours away from Greensburg so there's no way they would be the full time profs. So I'm sure there will be profs there to answer questions in the specific topics and to teach the classes like Anatomy and mini courses like there are at Bradenton.

Last edited:
I haven't received a financial aid packet yet. Has anyone received information about financial aid?

I haven't received a financial aid packet yet. Has anyone received information about financial aid?

Yeah, it's sent via email. If you want to have a look at it before LECOM sends it to you, PM me with your email address, and I'll send it to you.

Yeah, it's sent via email. If you want to have a look at it before LECOM sends it to you, PM me with your email address, and I'll send it to you.

When did they send it to you? I got the matriculation packet almost 2 weeks ago but nothing on financial aid yet.

Last edited:
When did they send it to you? I got the matriculation packet almost 2 weeks ago but nothing on financial aid yet.

I received my matriculation packet on 2/19 and received the financial aid packet on 2/23. If you want, you can call Bonnie Crilley at the Office of Financial Aid at (814) 866-6641.

I received my matriculation packet on 2/19 and received the financial aid packet on 2/23. If you want, you can call Bonnie Crilley at the Office of Financial Aid at (814) 866-6641.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance letter to Seton Hill last week. I also interviewed at PCOM last week. Since I wouldn't hear from PCOM in time for LECOM's fee deadline, I sent the money in. I really don't know which I'd rather go to. I love the idea of PBL buuutttt... I'm really scared to be in the first class. :eek:

So, here's everything I know about SH:

We'll have the first floor of Lynch Hall which includes an auditorium for lectures and 12 rooms for PBL sessions. There will also be a room (or two?) in the library for labs. They updated the library to accomodate us and we'll have access to everything that Erie students do. There are pictures available at lecom.edu in the article about the board of trustees that went to see the campus. There will be 13 full time profs and 4 part-time.

The campus is quite far from anywhere that we would be living, so a car is necessary. One thing I don't know is if they have a shuttle that goes from town to campus. Anyone familiar with the area know??

I asked Linda Linville if there's anything we should be afraid of being the first class and having no upperclassmen. She said the faculty has discussed this issue and they plan to be more available to us being that we'll have lots of questions and no upperclassmen to ask.

According to Seton Hill's website (which I think would be a good thing for you all to look at), they are a proud Catholic school with a strong art program. I'm not super religious, or really at all, so I don't know how I'll fit in there. Really, it seems like a strange fit; science majors on a religious campus (not saying that we're all atheists, but science and religion don't always go hand in hand). The town of Greensburg also seems to be very chill and artsy. They have lots of theaters and musical performances in town. There's also lots of little shops, eateries, bars/clubs, and coffee houses. Oh, and Linda also told me that the average rent in town is about $600/month.

Does anyone familiar w/ SH and Greensburg have any useful info? Such as if there's a bus, where are they planning to house all of us, when will it be too late to get housing, etc....

I really want to love this idea, but I'm so scared of being in the first class. Pretty much everything else is a perfect fit for me.

Well anyway, any info would be helpful. Oh, and Happy St. Patty's day!!!!

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

i'm going to interview for seton hill here soon and have a question about a matriculation fee. once you are accepted how long do you have to send in your deposit. just wondering. thanks.

you have about 10-12 days to send the deposit...I got my acceptance yesterday and the deposit is due on the 27th

I got my acceptance letter to Seton Hill last week. I also interviewed at PCOM last week. Since I wouldn't hear from PCOM in time for LECOM's fee deadline, I sent the money in. I really don't know which I'd rather go to. I love the idea of PBL buuutttt... I'm really scared to be in the first class. :eek:

So, here's everything I know about SH:

We'll have the first floor of Lynch Hall which includes an auditorium for lectures and 12 rooms for PBL sessions. There will also be a room (or two?) in the library for labs. They updated the library to accomodate us and we'll have access to everything that Erie students do. There are pictures available at lecom.edu in the article about the board of trustees that went to see the campus. There will be 13 full time profs and 4 part-time.

The campus is quite far from anywhere that we would be living, so a car is necessary. One thing I don't know is if they have a shuttle that goes from town to campus. Anyone familiar with the area know??

I asked Linda Linville if there's anything we should be afraid of being the first class and having no upperclassmen. She said the faculty has discussed this issue and they plan to be more available to us being that we'll have lots of questions and no upperclassmen to ask.

According to Seton Hill's website (which I think would be a good thing for you all to look at), they are a proud Catholic school with a strong art program. I'm not super religious, or really at all, so I don't know how I'll fit in there. Really, it seems like a strange fit; science majors on a religious campus (not saying that we're all atheists, but science and religion don't always go hand in hand). The town of Greensburg also seems to be very chill and artsy. They have lots of theaters and musical performances in town. There's also lots of little shops, eateries, bars/clubs, and coffee houses. Oh, and Linda also told me that the average rent in town is about $600/month.

Does anyone familiar w/ SH and Greensburg have any useful info? Such as if there's a bus, where are they planning to house all of us, when will it be too late to get housing, etc....

I really want to love this idea, but I'm so scared of being in the first class. Pretty much everything else is a perfect fit for me.

Well anyway, any info would be helpful. Oh, and Happy St. Patty's day!!!!

Hi Lady Jane,

I wouldn't be too worried about being the first PBL class because LECOM has been having PBL at Erie for quite some time now, so the curriculum is identical to what is and has been taught at Erie PBL.

I can't answer much about a shuttle, i currently live in Pittsburgh and plan on commuting from there (from the actual city its about 45 mins, from one of the suburbs its about 35). I have been seeing a lot of listings on Craigslist, and since it is a lot of undergrad i would say try to get housing asap.. i know here in pittsburgh the landlords have been listing for June-Aug move in dates since Feb.

Seton Hill is suppose to havea really pretty campus and yes is a jesuit school, but i wouldn't be all that concerned since you really wont be a Seton Hill student, therefore will not be required to take the religous studies classes with the undergrads. But i get why you would be a little put off by that.

About not having upperclassmen, i was told that even for our clinical rotations, we are lumped together with the Erie campus, so again, i think you/we will have no problem having access to speak to 3 and 4 years up at Erie. Additionally, i was told that we have full access to Erie and the profs up and cadaver lab there as well.

I don't know if i really helped you out at all (so sorry if i didn't!), all i know is that i have 3 friends who have graduated from LECOM, (one of them was the very first class of PBL at Erie) and one is in a cardio fellowship in jersey, and the other two are in family medicine and couldn't not have been happier with their education.

If you have any questions about wanting to commute from pittsburgh or one of the suburbs there please feel free to PM me!

Hope i helped a bit! :)

anyone know if it's possible to go look around the facilites at seton hill? also, how is anatomy going to be taugh, videos? what about other labs, will we not have them there?

You can go and look around the campus, email either Irv Freeman, or Becky Sterling (his assistant) if you would like a guided one and to give them a heads up that you would like to come out and visit. If you would like their emails PM me!

We will not have a cadaver lab, apparently it is going to be taught through videos, plasticized (sp?) models, and VR. All the other labs are the same as far as i have heard...

That's all i know! anyone else??

anyone know if it's possible to go look around the facilites at seton hill? also, how is anatomy going to be taugh, videos? what about other labs, will we not have them there?

I would think that everything will be taught the same way it is in Erie, so that means videos for anatomy. And, as I said in my super long post a few up, there will be one or two rooms in the library used for our labs.

Nerdsmakegraves,

Thanks for the info, but I'm still curious about if there's a shuttle. Does anyone know??

and it's not so much I'm worried about being in the first PBL class, rather I'm worried about being in the first class, period. I'm just worried about all the things associated w/ a new school, like new staff (I'm foreseeing messed up financial aid paperwork or something), new faculty (because I don't know where they're coming from or if they've ever done PBL), and no upperclassmen to tell me which profs are great and which are not so much. I know Bradenton did very well their first year, so maybe that should reassure me, but I'm still just nervous about it.

Can someone just reassure me that this article is misleading? At my Erie interview we discussed at length all the freedoms we would have to arrange 3rd/4th year clinicals at sites in different regions and states. It didn't occur to me to ask specifically if Seton Hill would share in those options as far as all the affiliated hospitals. Now I found this newspaper article about the Seton Hill branch that says:

In their first two years, students will study at Lynch Hall and the Reeves Memorial Library at Seton Hill. They'll spend the last two years at Excela-run hospitals in Greensburg, Latrobe, Mt. Pleasant and Jeannette.

Please tell me we aren't required to only rotate at those four hospitals near Pittsburgh! We'll still get all the options that Erie's students get for core clerkships, right? I just assumed we'd share the same list they had...

So I actually asked that direct question during my interview then to Irv Freeman the dean of LECOM-SH about a month ago, and they both said we are grouped in with Erie and have the same exact options as the Erie students. I really really really really really really (okay i think you get the point ;)) hope that they haven't changed that, but i haven't heard anything to say that they have.

I know Dr. Freeman said that they added the hospitals in Greensburg for more rotation options and for the people who would like to stay there for all four years but we are not REQUIRED to be there. I mean, there is a certain amount of LECOM students who have to rotate there, just as there is at any site, but you get my drift! Also, with taking on Seton Hill they had to get approval from AOA, therefore, also having to up the number of rotation sites.

Has anyone heard anything else on this??

I live in the Greensburg area and work for the EMS service that services Greensburg and surrounding areas (huge EMS service, a freaking monopoly) so needless to say, I am very familiar with the area, hot spots, apartments, housing, places to avoid, and local medical centers.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

dxu

p.s. I'm hoping to be attending LECOM-SH in 2011

So I actually asked that direct question during my interview then to Irv Freeman the dean of LECOM-SH about a month ago, and they both said we are grouped in with Erie and have the same exact options as the Erie students. I really really really really really really (okay i think you get the point ;)) hope that they haven't changed that, but i haven't heard anything to say that they have.

I know Dr. Freeman said that they added the hospitals in Greensburg for more rotation options and for the people who would like to stay there for all four years but we are not REQUIRED to be there. I mean, there is a certain amount of LECOM students who have to rotate there, just as there is at any site, but you get my drift! Also, with taking on Seton Hill they had to get approval from AOA, therefore, also having to up the number of rotation sites.

Has anyone heard anything else on this??

Okay, thanks, that's reassuring. I tried to call around today at LECOM to get direct answers but I kept getting voicemails. I'm literally set to mail in my deposit tomorrow and then I read this little nugget and seriously freaked out. One of the most important things that led me to accept LECOM and withdraw other acceptances was the chance to return home 3rd/4th year and do rotations in the Philly/Jersey/NYC region. If I thought I was going to be tied to Pittsburgh for all four years that might change my mind, but I'm okay with doing 20 months of class time out there.

Last edited:
My wife just spoke with a woman about student housing for LECOM-Seton Hill students. The lady is renovating a place in Jeannette which is only a few minutes away from campus. I guess there are Seton Hill students there now but as of this summer it will be open to LECOM medical students only. She said there's about 10 rooms with bathrooms, a common area: living room with couches, T.V. and pool table, study room, kitchen, free off street parking with all included utilities-cable, internet, water,electric, gas,etc... She said the bus line passes right by and goes into Greensburg. Thought this may be option for some- Contact info: Fran 412-601-1192

Jeanette is less than 10 mins to campus. Please be careful on location in this area. 'Nuff said.

She said it's less than 5 minutes from the campus and on the north side.

My wife just spoke with a woman about student housing for LECOM-Seton Hill students. The lady is renovating a place in Jeannette which is only a few minutes away from campus. I guess there are Seton Hill students there now but as of this summer it will be open to LECOM medical students only. She said there's about 10 rooms with bathrooms, a common area: living room with couches, T.V. and pool table, study room, kitchen, free off street parking with all included utilities-cable, internet, water,electric, gas,etc... She said the bus line passes right by and goes into Greensburg. Thought this may be option for some- Contact info: Fran 412-601-1192

Do you know the name of this place?

I'm not sure if it has a name.

that's not it, those are different.

Hey Guys,

I recently interviewed at LECOM last Friday and today I checked my portal to find that Seton Hill was added to the list of programs under the Admissions Status page. For those who received the same update, what does this mean? I'm SO nervous!!!

Any info would be great. Congrats to everyone who's been accepted. To everyone else, I wish you all the best of luck.

Take care and best wishes.

Hey Guys,

I recently interviewed at LECOM last Friday and today I checked my portal to find that Seton Hill was added to the list of programs under the Admissions Status page. For those who received the same update, what does this mean? I'm SO nervous!!!

Any info would be great. Congrats to everyone who's been accepted. To everyone else, I wish you all the best of luck.

From everyone I've talked to and myself ... we were accepted. I don't want to get your hopes up though but good luck

Hey Guys,

Is your first name Rudy by chance? I carried you off the field at Notre Dame stadium a few years back.

Is your first name Rudy by chance? I carried you off the field at Notre Dame stadium a few years back.

Haha. Someone has finally got my movie reference. No, unfortunately my first name is not Rudy; however, I am a senior at ND and I guess you can say I'm the underdog when it comes to applying to medical school. How about you? I take it you're from Philly? You a domer by any chance too?

Hey everyone, I interviewed last monday (16th) and my account on the LECOM portal also gave me the messages that a decision had been made and Seton Hill added. I figure however, that this should be the expected behavior for both the Waitlistee's and Acceptee's so I'm trying to withhold any happiness for now... and I'm still a nervous wreck. I've so far been watlisted at two other schools, and accepted to none, so I'm a bit on edge.

Also I wanted to just give my thoughts about the common worries:

1. In regards to being the first Class at Seton Hill Ever... I think this would be a daunting experience for any class. However, I think that being LECOM most of our fears can and should be set aside... LECOM has established itself as one of the largest medical schools in the country, and has seen success at both its main campus and more importantly the Bradenton campus, as shown by test scores and match lists... I would feel that we are far better off going to a satelite campus of an established school than even say the University of Central Florida which is starting a brand new school this year, with no prior "experience". Someone mentioned lost forms and financial aid disasters.... all that stuff is really out of our hands, and maybe I'm a bit trusting but I do trust that LECOM will hire a competent staff... Just because this is a new location does not mean that the people hired are going to be fresh out of college.

2. About PBL... Perhaps similiar (or not) to a lot of you, I interviewed at the Bradenton campus and was quite impressed. At bradenton it is mandatory for you to sit in on an hour of PBL... I realize that I may have been lucky to have a good group. Regardless though, my group impressed me with their breadth of knowledge and teamwork and made me a believer... PBL in all sorts of forms is very common in many medical schools these days, so they must be on to something, don't you think? Not to mention that the faculty in Bradenton claimed that the students in PBL in Erie have been doing better on boards than the lecture and independent students since the ciriculum has been introduced... Which is exactly why PBL is the cirriculum of choice at both Seton Hill and Bradenton and not lecture... Good Test scores, competetive match lists, that's enough proof for me. However, PBL is a very student driven form of study so in a large part I suppose it is going to be up to us.

3. About the lack of a cadaver lab... ehh... I don't like this so much. However I should clarify that it is because doing disections has always been my sort of thing and therefore this is more of a selfish reason. I think a cadaver lab would be cool, plain and simple. However, the question "Do you think anatomy can be properly learned without a cadaver lab?" was asked to the doc who was giving us the tour at my Erie interview and the answer was a resounding "Absolutely." He stated, that as for those interested in surgery and thinking that a cadaver lab in medical school would be helpful, that it should be noted that the dead tissue of the cadavers don't look anything like the real live thing anyhow, and a virtual form of study would be just as good if not better. He also felt that the days of cadaver labs in all schools is numbered.

This post has gotten a bit out of hand and I can't really think of anymore "issues" anyhow... but I hope to be joining all the official Seton Hill Acceptees shortly!

anyone have an interview coming up? i'm going april 17th. seems a little late, would i be interviewing for a waitlist?

Do you guys know if we're going to be in Greensburg for all 4 years? I know of course that there will be rotations (are those usually a couple of weeks to a month long?), but we will have to have residence in Greensburg for 4 years, right?

I just visited the city for the first time this weekend and just traveled home. I'm not from Pennsylvania, so I enjoyed seeing the hilly terrain. Seems like it's going to be a nice place to spend time studying in over the next number of years.

Last edited:
As i understand it, we will be in Greensburg for the first 2 years, then for clinicals we go where we are assigned.

You will be asked to select the location or the month you would like off (only get one or the other) where you would like to complete your clinicals, so if you really like Greensburg you can stay there as LECOM SH picked up some hospitals out there for us to rotate through. Otherwise you can/will move to where your clinicals are.

Hope that helped!

As i understand it, we will be in Greensburg for the first 2 years, then for clinicals we go where we are assigned.

You will be asked to select the location or the month you would like off (only get one or the other) where you would like to complete your clinicals, so if you really like Greensburg you can stay there as LECOM SH picked up some hospitals out there for us to rotate through. Otherwise you can/will move to where your clinicals are.

Hope that helped!

On the Lecom website, it says that you do 12 rotations a year (3rd and 4th year), each being 4 weeks long. You think that those rotations for the year would be in the same city or would we be moving around to lots of different places?

There is always a chance that you will have to move around .... and i have heard people having to do one or two rotations not within their requested city....

Also, if you want to do any audition rotations at hospitals that you want to apply for residency those will be away (assuming you do not want to stay in the pittsburgh/greensburg area).

Haha. Someone has finally got my movie reference. No, unfortunately my first name is not Rudy; however, I am a senior at ND and I guess you can say I'm the underdog when it comes to applying to medical school. How about you? I take it you're from Philly? You a domer by any chance too?

I just watched that movie today on AMC, haha. I didn't realize that's how it's spelled.

anyone have an interview coming up? i'm going april 17th. seems a little late, would i be interviewing for a waitlist?

I've read on here that PBL and LDP at Erie are full, I don't know if ISP at Erie is full. Also, I'm pretty sure that PBL at Seton Hill is not full.

Does anyone know when we need to have our transcripts sent in by?

Does anyone know when we need to have our transcripts sent in by?

It will tell you the date in your matriculation packet. Mine was April 30th, but other people have different dates.

wait so you have to send in your transcripts even if you still haven't finished your semester?

wait so you have to send in your transcripts even if you still haven't finished your semester?

That's a good question. That didn't apply to me because I graduated in December. Buttttt....it says it wants a final transcript, so maybe you have to disregard the due date for the transcript?

I would ask Amy Rowe or Linda Linville to be sure.

Got my acceptance today!!!! Do you guys know what kinda stuff that will be going into the renovated buildings?...Will SH be getting a sweet OMM room with moving tables like LECOM-B? Clinical rooms? histo/anatomy labs? Research labs?Will we have access to SH's rec? Anyone went in to take a look? Any info is good info.:D

Anyone have any idea if there's going to be a white coat ceremony? If there is one, I assume it would be during the first week?.....

Status
Not open for further replies.