List of IM residencies by competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YuniCresta

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking for a site or something where I can search all (or most) of the US residencies in internal medicine and rank them by least to most competitive. Is there such a thing? I don't want to waste time/money applying somewhere that my chances of being accepted are almost none.

Members don't see this ad.

Programs by competitiveness more or less goes like that.
University
Communiversity
Community in good areas
Community in the boonies

Try doximity residency database for a real ranking. Might need to create an account.

Ranking by competitiveness isn't really possible, except in sort of a general sense? It's not just about numbers and grades - also depends on things like whether or not your school frequently sends graduates there, how prestigious your school is, the relationship between your letter writers and the PD there, and whether or not you have ties to that specific geographic region.

It costs almost no time to apply to an extra program or two and it's relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things (not at all like med school apps where you have to do secondaries). You just click an extra button.