Loma Linda Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks for that post!

Members don't see this ad.

Aaaahhh.. the gym.

I love this topic (better than listening to that fella up there rant about someones bikini). The Drayson Center is pretty good. I had the privelidge of working in a really nice gym - much larger than Drayson - for several years before I moved here (to this stinkin' OVEN of a city). Drayson is not ideal for getting a hardcore workout if hitting the iron is your thing - and it is one of my passions. Nor does it have an abundance of treadmills for those of us who like to get on one without having to wait. Oh, and parking really, really sucks. And yet... there is some good news. I have been working out there about 5 days a week since i moved here in May '07 (I know, you're thinking, "is that the good news?"), and I manage to get a killer workout each time - my point is that the weightroom, although cramped at times with a limited amount of equipment, is totally ADEQUATE. With some creativity and, perhaps, a bit of guidance, you can beat the heck out of yourself pert durn good. Treadmills are usually full, but they are limited to a 30 minute max, so you can sign up, lift some weights, then run on your reserved treadmill. About 10 more treadmills would be nice, but, hey, that brings us to our next topic - the tracks. There is an indoor, suspended, track (which I haven't used), and there is an outdoor track that is 1/2 mile/lap. 'Course running in smog city sucks, but so does... well, yeah, runnning in smog sucks. Run in the fall and winter. There is also a superfield (why is it a SUPER-field? I don't know, it just looks like a big field to me, but, hey, what do I know?) that is circumscribed by the aforementioned outdoor track. Lots of soccer games, intramural stuff, etc. There is a really nice poo (that's short for pool) and a hot tub thingy. Why would anyone sit in hot water in this blasted heat, you ask? I haven't the foggiest. I wonder if they just dont heat it during the summer and let the sun do all the work. That makes me wonder how they keep the pool cool here during the scorching summers. Ice maybe? Who knows? In any case, the pool IS nice. Back inside Drayson, there are a couple aerobics rooms. In these rooms girls walk around in brazilian-style thong bikinis and do kickboxing. Just kidding, I'm just still overtly nagging that kook up there to give it a rest. Nonetheless, there are plenty of kickboxing classes, karate, cardio-pump, stuff like that. There are raquet ball enclosures, tennis courts, basketball court, personal trainers, masseuses from Dr. Seusses, a study area, and a whole bunch of other stuffs that I am probably forgetting. Oh, yeah, big plus - clean bathrooms/locker rooms. But seriously, the number one reason Drayson kicks a$$ is because it is free for students. You just can't beat that. You will get plenty of brain and soul food at school and chapel and church. Here you can balance it out with body maintenance for free. And it is in a Christian environment. I gotta admit Loma Linda U. really has a good idea about balancing one's body mind and spirit. Except maybe the vegetarian thing. I have no intention of ever stopping eating meat. Jesus ate fish right? And that cafeteria won't serve meat, but you oughtta see all the fried crap they serve. It is kinda... well we'll not go there. Suffice it to say, LLU, while far from perfect is a GREAT institution (and I mean great to the full extent of the adjective) and I feel incredibly blessed and fortunate to have been accepted. And noone even bats an eye at those of us who do drink coffee and pepsi and eat beef jerky and turkey sandwiches and wear bikinis to class - well, it's been chilly so I've been wearing my one-piece, but, anyway. If you get in, don't study till' your brain oozes out of your ears. Hit the gym, increase your GH and IGF-1 and all those other cool exercise-activated hormones and you will make your studying WAY more productive!

Puh-puh-puh- PEACE!

Is this the only gym in the area, or are there other biggger gyms like gold's and others?

Also, I interviewed in Decmber and I hope to find out soon!!!!!!!

Good luck to everyone here- I wish I knew about SDN earlier Like when I was interviewing!

so no one knows how many have been accepted?

and if you interviewed in December and havent found out, then I guess those of us who interviewed in Feb need to be patient. Its so hard tho when I REALLY want to go to Loma Linda :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this the only gym in the area, or are there other biggger gyms like gold's and others?

Also, I interviewed in Decmber and I hope to find out soon!!!!!!!

Good luck to everyone here- I wish I knew about SDN earlier Like when I was interviewing!

There's a 24 Hour Fitness pretty close by, Ballie's a little farther away, and if you don't mind a 10 minute drive to the east side of Redlands a really nice L.A. Fitness (trying to get out of your contract with those guys is . . . interesting)

Bottom line . . .

LLU is an awesome place to do medical school. It's not weird or backward. The education is great based on NBME subject examinations, and statewide standardized clinical practical examination. Every year people match into high competitive fields (higher than national average match into Derm, Ophtho, Derm, Rads for the 2007 class), including finding residency placement at institutions such as UCLA, UCSF, UW, Mayo (Rochester), WashU, Baylor, Hopkins, Yale, etc. - those are just off the top of my head.

The gym and the local food is really the LEAST of your worries.

I had the privelidge…

so you've had the privelidge huh? Why do I get a feeling you've been here before?

…I'm just still overtly nagging that kook up there to give it a rest

Nice… resort to name-calling when logic and reason don't work. Is that how your mind works? How would it make you feel if others started calling you names as well? Would acting like this be helpful to you as an aspiring physician?

If you haven't noticed, just like you I, too, can read. You say to give it a rest and yet you continue with childish attacks. Stick to giving out helpful info; you're much better at it than the former.

oh no, I made a typo on SDN... better call the cops!

*yawn*

it's called humor, kook... you might try some. besides, you're probably the only one on this forum that is actually taking YOU very seriously. actually, come to think of it, that is kinda funny. Well done!

ps - for the rest of you who do get into LLU... fear not! there really aren't too many self-righteous Christians that make a habit of going around and metaphorically nitpicking your life's typos. that would really suck, since we're all guilty of typos. just work hard, restrict your bikinis to your avatars and swimsuit-fridays instead of chapel and you should be fine.

pps - i'll say it again... LLU rocks

Aaaahhh.. the gym.
And noone even bats an eye at those of us who do drink coffee and pepsi and eat beef jerky and turkey sandwiches and wear bikinis to class - well, it's been chilly so I've been wearing my one-piece, but, anyway.

HA! That was a little awkward that day you walked in with the two piece....j/k :).

I feel you on the temperature thing though. I couldn't believe my eyes the first day I got here in July and saw the thermostat @ 115* :eek:

...it's called humor, kook... you might try some.

You suggest that I try some humour and yet I already make you laugh without even trying? I'd take you up on that suggestion but I wouldn't want you to dirty your pants from laughing so hard. Besides, if poking fun at others is your idea of humour then I think I'll pass.

Oh and one more thing, typos are accidental but insults are deliberate; one is totally forgivable and the other invites more of the same. Thank goodness I'm not twelve so I forgive you either way ;)

I interviewed on Jan 10 and still havent heard anything. I've noticed in this thread that a couple people have suggested sending in an LOI, how exactly deos that work? I just randomly send in a letter telling them how much I want to go to LLU and pleading with them to let me in? Does that actually have an impact/is it even relatively normal for people to do that?

I too have a couple of questions about the letter of intent. Do I specifically address it to the Dean of Admissions, or just send it to the Admissions office?

I wrote mine, and the first paragraph is saying I will withdraw all other applications to different schools, then a paragraph thanking them for receiving an interview, then a paragraph about how I liked the school/interviewers, then the final paragraph is additional volunteer work I have been up to since I applied. So it's a page. Anything else I should add/remove?

I'm not really sure how to begin...like, should I just jump in or should I begin with formally addressing "Dear Lenoa Edwards"? I'm really not completely sure how to format this thing.

You suggest that I try some humour and yet I already make you laugh without even trying? I'd take you up on that suggestion but I wouldn't want you to dirty your pants from laughing so hard. Besides, if poking fun at others is your idea of humour then I think I'll pass.

Oh and one more thing, typos are accidental but insults are deliberate; one is totally forgivable and the other invites more of the same. Thank goodness I'm not twelve so I forgive you either way ;)

...last word! I win!

there is technically no set format for a LOI. When I wrote a LOI I basically started by stating my name, AMCAS ID, etc. Then I talked about my interview experience and how on that day after seeing and learning XYZ I knew that their medical school was for me. I also mentioned (especially for LLU) how their mission coincided with my life mission/principled. I then ended expressing how I was positive that I was a good fit for the school and that if I was admitted they would have no worries as to wheter i'd be coming.

I always think its best to show that u really know what the school is about. rather than just appearing as a US NEWS reading applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is technically no set format for a LOI. When I wrote a LOI I basically started by stating my name, AMCAS ID, etc. Then I talked about my interview experience and how on that day after seeing and learning XYZ I knew that their medical school was for me. I also mentioned (especially for LLU) how their mission coincided with my life mission/principled. I then ended expressing how I was positive that I was a good fit for the school and that if I was admitted they would have no worries as to wheter i'd be coming.

I always think its best to show that u really know what the school is about. rather than just appearing as a US NEWS reading applicant.

did you address it to the Dean, Adcom, Lenoa, "To whom it may concern"?

LOI is on the way...:scared:....(i think that's a "nervous" face lol)

Hey guys, this thread needs to get back going, so Ill share my story with you. This morning I got a voicemail from Dr. Nyirady saying to call him, so I got all excited and was shaking as I called him back. I knew they dont meet until the 15th, but I thought something had changed, but alas all he wanted was for me to confirm something on my transcript. So back to waiting and prayer for me. It was nice for a few seconds to feel that excitment, I hope to feel it again soon!

Im assuming they meet around the 15th, so they will prob meet on Friday March 14th or Monday March 17th...personally I hope its the Friday, because after my story from this morning I am even more anxious :)

Yeah, sent my LOI last Monday. Sigh, good luck to those of us still waiting!

there is no reason to "bump" this thread. It isn't like people aren't saying anything because it just isn't on the first page. It is because everyone is just waiting. So save the bumps from skiing or volleyball or something.

there is no reason to "bump" this thread. It isn't like people aren't saying anything because it just isn't on the first page. It is because everyone is just waiting. So save the bumps from skiing or volleyball or something.

Seriously, you need to grow up :mad: . . . it's just a freaking blog. And besides, the faculty will likely be meeting today or tomorrow, and since our thread was on page 6 when I read it early this morning/late last night, I thought it might be nice to push it back up to the top, since hopefully, many of us will have some good news soon and will come looking for the thread.

Im assuming that they will meet tomorrow and then let those few lucky people know on tuesday/wednesday...in the meantime I will continue praying and I look forwards to the forecasted rains for this weekend :)

I just wanted to let everyone know that they met yesterday and that I got the call from Dr. Nyirady about an hour ago saying I got in!!!!!!! :D :) :love:

Im so excited im still shaking, but all the Glory belongs to God, for everything is possible through Jesus Christ. For everyone still waiting to hear from them, my prayers are with you and good luck!!!

congrats...now i have double checked my phone and it is on for sure. Congrats again

Just got an unexpected call from Dr. Nirady. I actually withdrew 2 weeks ago, but they apparently didn't receive my letter. :confused: I was so shocked that I sounded excited:( and didn't have the heart to tell him I withdrew. Anyway, LLU is an awesome school with great people. Good luck everyone~!

Wow! Congratulations! You interviewed late February, right? If so, that probably means they also reviewed my application since I interviewed early February. I really hope I can share the same fortune as you today.

I just wanted to let everyone know that they met yesterday and that I got the call from Dr. Nyirady about an hour ago saying I got in!!!!!!! :D :) :love:

Im so excited im still shaking, but all the Glory belongs to God, for everything is possible through Jesus Christ. For everyone still waiting to hear from them, my prayers are with you and good luck!!!

Congratulations gatormanade!!!
I am very glad for you as I know you were anxiously waiting for that call.
Best of luck.
Are you planning on attending LLU?
:thumbup:

Of course Im planning on attending Loma Linda! There was no doubt, its my top choice!

I interviewed Feb. 27th, to those waiting, be patient and pray, he may not get to all the calls today so dont worry.

i interviewed on jan 10, should i be concerned that i havent heard from them yet? I mean, considering their accepting people who interviewed in late feb, and people who withdrew...? I've also heard of people getting invited to interview after they had already had an interview, does it sound like things are a little sketchy to anyone else?

well Dr. Nirady's door is closed so it seems that he is still actively making calls...typing is getting hard with my fingers crossed

Anybody else get a call?!?! Its 12:45, so I dont know how much longer the Dean will be making calls!

well it looks like i wont get a call today. I called and was told i was still under review they also mentioned that they are still interviewing which i thought had finished. So congrats to the people who heard/will hear today

Of course Im planning on attending Loma Linda! There was no doubt, its my top choice!

I interviewed Feb. 27th, to those waiting, be patient and pray, he may not get to all the calls today so dont worry.
Gatormanade, I just noticed that you were the one who started this thread, LOL.
It is most appropriate then that you should be the one starting an Official LLU c/o 2012 in the allo forum.:laugh::hardy:
Congrats again.

Best of luck to the rest of you waiting for the call and keep the faith high.
:luck::luck:

I was interviewed on Feb 28 but didn't get a call today. I called in and they said my file is still under review. Anyone else who was interviewed on the same day as mine?

hey there guys! i was in lab when i recieved the call day but I just called back and they gave me the good news that I was accepted! i really loved it there, but I got into my state school this week, so I'll have some thinking to do...congrats to everyone!

i think you should go to your state school...save yourself some money, just thinking of you

Congrats to everyone who got a call! For those that didn't, hang in there. My wife and I didn't know we were coming to LLU until April, so there is still a little waiting left for some of you.

I was interviewed on Feb 28 but didn't get a call today. I called in and they said my file is still under review. Anyone else who was interviewed on the same day as mine?

I interviewed the same day...I really want to go to Loma Linda to!

To all those who got in today, did you write intent letters? I just started my letter of intent, but haven't finished yet because I had a lot going on in the last couple of weeks...

calling is done for today, their office is closed.

I was waiting all day for that call, checking my phone obsessively. :(

I wonder if Dr. Nyiradi got through all the calls today, or if there will be more on Monday/Tuesday. I also wonder when the next committee meeting will be. Any ideas?

owwww...this hurts where my heart used to be....

interviewed on feb 21st. No call today.

What's the prognosis Doctajay?

With next week being Holy Week, I wonder how much the committee will be meeting. I know my whole next week is packed full of lots of church.

Well, this upcoming week is also our test week and its test week for most of the other schools on campus too, so I wouldn't worry about the committee observing anything because they sure aren't allowing us to, lol. :)