LSU c/o 2018 Applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MnW2014

Mizzou c/o 2018!!! :)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed a thread for LSU applicants yet, so I thought I would post one! My status changed today to Folder Under Review, so hopefully we will hear about interviews in the next few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

for OOS, it says they only review the top 150 OOS applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope your thread is more active than mine was last year! :) SDN doesn't seem to get a lot of LSU peeps, for some reason.

Good luck to you all, and if you have any questions about LSU or Baton Rouge or anything, feel free to PM me (I'm a current first year).

Reactions: 1 user
for OOS, it says they only review the top 150 OOS applicants.

I am an Arkansas resident and they review all of us, so the status change wasn't a big surprise for me. If you are an OOS, then congrats on making the first cut! :)

I hope your thread is more active than mine was last year! :) SDN doesn't seem to get a lot of LSU peeps, for some reason.

Good luck to you all, and if you have any questions about LSU or Baton Rouge or anything, feel free to PM me (I'm a current first year).

Thank you!! Yeah I have stalked threads from last year and noticed LSU wasn't that popular on here. If I have any questions I will be sure to message you!

Yeah this thread is quiet!... Anyways, my folder is under review :) Second time applying here OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah this thread is quiet!... Anyways, my folder is under review :) Second time applying here OOS
My folder is under review and it's my second time applying OOS too. Fingers crossed that this is our year! :)

First-year here as well, happy to answer any questions! I've applied as both an OOS and IS resident.

My folder is under review too! First time applicant OOS. Their website says mid January for interview invites! I will compulsively be checking my email until then! Good luck to all!

My folder is under review as well! First time OOS. Yay this is so exciting

I'm under review too as a first time OOS applicant! Does anyone know how many OOS applicants they usually interview?

I'm under review too as a first time OOS applicant! Does anyone know how many OOS applicants they usually interview?

I have been wondering the same thing. Does anyone know how many Arkansas residents receive interviews? I am guessing that we are not included with the OOS people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been wondering the same thing. Does anyone know how many Arkansas residents receive interviews? I am guessing that we are not included with the OOS people.
I talk to Jared about the process of admission for out of state students. He said they rank the out of state students based on GPA or GRE, one of those two. The people that make the top 150 are under a more in depth review. This is where they probably look at personal statement, recommendations, and experience. After this, they interview 50 people from this group.

I talk to Jared about the process of admission for out of state students. He said they rank the out of state students based on GPA or GRE, one of those two. The people that make the top 150 are under a more in depth review. This is where they probably look at personal statement, recommendations, and experience. After this, they interview 50 people from this group.
Hmph... 50 that's slim lol now im nervous.

Thank you so much for this information! At least I know now my chances of getting an interview.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that LSU only reviews any info on OOS students if you are in the Top 150? There are nearly 400 OOS applicants that wasted their time applying. The Top 150 is solely based off of GPA and GRE scores. And your undergraduate institution is not recognized. Therefore someone could have went to Harvard, got a 3.3, and not be in the Top 150. But if someone went to a community college and got a 4.0, they would be in the Top 150. It is definitely not giving applicants a fair chance. Though I may not agree with their admission process, I respect whichever method they see fit. However, they failed to inform applicants that the Top 150 is based solely off of academic numbers. This information was only provided after applying. In the end, at least to me, it all seems to be about money and that's just very disappointing.

...they failed to inform applicants that the Top 150 is based solely off of academic numbers. This information was only provided after applying.

They outline the admissions process here:
http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/Admissions/DVM Admissions Info/Applicant Selection/item26639.html
"All Louisiana and Arkansas residents' application folders are subjectively reviewed; however, only the Top 150 Out of State applicants will move on to the subjective review have their folders evaluated. The Out of State Top 150 List is determined based off of an overall score calculated from the objective components above (the Required Courses GPA, Last 45 Credit Hour GPA and GRE score)."

FWIW, while I didn't attend any Ivy League schools, some of my community college classes were more challenging than my university classes. :) The CC had much smaller class sizes, so more essays/short answer/etc. exams could be given, and we had more graded homework. My university classes usually just had 2-3 multiple choice exams, which often came from old test banks; a lot less overall work, and I found those exams much easier to study for.

I think it's fair that vet schools don't evaluate applicants' undergrad schools based on prestige. I think it would be unfair if they did do that! Academic rigor of every single school would be impossible to quantify, and prestigious schools usually come with a high price tag that many (most?) students can't afford.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience. I know how much it sucks to apply to schools and be declined almost immediately. :/

http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/Admissions/DVM Admissions Info/Applicant Selection/item26639.html
"All Louisiana and Arkansas residents' application folders are subjectively reviewed; however, only the Top 150 Out of State applicants will move on to the subjective review have their folders evaluated. The Out of State Top 150 List is determined based off of an overall score calculated from the objective components above (the Required Courses GPA, Last 45 Credit Hour GPA and GRE score)."

FWIW, while I didn't attend any Ivy League schools, some of my community college classes were more challenging than my university classes. :) The CC had much smaller class sizes, so more essays/short answer/etc. exams could be given, and we had more graded homework. My university classes usually just had 2-3 multiple choice exams, which often came from old test banks; a lot less overall work, and I found those exams much easier to study for.

I think it's fair that vet schools don't evaluate applicants' undergrad schools based on prestige. I think it would be unfair if they did do that! Academic rigor of every single school would be impossible to quantify, and prestigious schools usually come with a high price tag that many (most?) students can't afford.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience. I know how much it sucks to apply to schools and be declined almost immediately. :/
So they did ever so slightly mention that fact to OOS applicants. Something that is certainly easy to miss, however. Thank you for providing that link.

I respect your opinion, but to some degree academic rigor does count. There is a reason why certain schools are more difficult to get into and why they are recognized every year for their academics. And other vet school admissions do evaluate this (UPenn is an example).

I simply think it is unfair to instantly disregard nearly 400 or so students because they did not meet the Top 150. There is certainly more to every applicant. And other vet school admissions do take the time to look through all (or at least most) applications.

I am by no means rich and I already am steep in loans, unfortunately!!! It is just hard to take such information about the Top 150 in a positive way, especially since I spent over $100 applying to LSU (with VMCAS and supplemental costs).

I apologize if I offended anyone! Just felt the need to express my opinions. Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that LSU only reviews any info on OOS students if you are in the Top 150? There are nearly 400 OOS applicants that wasted their time applying. The Top 150 is solely based off of GPA and GRE scores. And your undergraduate institution is not recognized. Therefore someone could have went to Harvard, got a 3.3, and not be in the Top 150. But if someone went to a community college and got a 4.0, they would be in the Top 150. It is definitely not giving applicants a fair chance. Though I may not agree with their admission process, I respect whichever method they see fit. However, they failed to inform applicants that the Top 150 is based solely off of academic numbers. This information was only provided after applying. In the end, at least to me, it all seems to be about money and that's just very disappointing.

Most people who go to Harvard get A's. They have horrible grade inflation there. Community college grades are probably more accurate indicators of one's ability.

Most people who go to Harvard get A's. They have horrible grade inflation there. Community college grades are probably more accurate indicators of one's ability.
Figure of speech...not literally Harvard. In my opinion, many factors should go into admissions. Again, just my opinion. Undergraduate academic rigor is one of those factors. It is MORE LIKELY to get lower grades at some universities than others. That is a fact. And they make national lists every year to distinguish which universities challenge students most. It's not a perfect scale, but there is accuracy to some degree. And other vet admissions use it.

JUST my opinions everyone! Not saying I am right, but I stand by my views. I just think the way the Top 150 is handled doesn't give much chance to many qualified students.

Eh, Davis does the same thing with admissions, they plug in the numbers, if you make the top 150 or so, they give you an interview. It's dumb, but it happens. Then in the rejection letter they tell you to do better next time haha.

Oh well, still in folder review, OOS :banana::banana::banana:

Aaaaaand now the admissions office is closed til the fifth of January. Woot.

But you see, for each person that has had a university experience like yours, there is another person who has had the exact opposite. At my university most of the exams in the sciences are designed so that it's nearly impossible to get a perfect score. It usually results in a pretty nice normal distribution, and they almost always set the median at a B. Only the top 15-20% get an A in those classes, so to be honest it's quite insulting when certain admissions committees have "an A is an A" mentality. It sends a terrible message to applicants that they should seek out the universities that will hand out A's like candy. Just because Harvard has a reputation for grade inflation doesn't mean other highly ranked universities do as well. Ignoring the name severely penalizes a group of people who are among the most dedicated students in the country.

But you see, for each person that has had a university experience like yours, there is another person who has had the exact opposite. At my university most of the exams in the sciences are designed so that it's nearly impossible to get a perfect score. It usually results in a pretty nice normal distribution, and they almost always set the median at a B. Only the top 15-20% get an A in those classes, so to be honest it's quite insulting when certain admissions committees have "an A is an A" mentality. It sends a terrible message to applicants that they should seek out the universities that will hand out A's like candy. Just because Harvard has a reputation for grade inflation doesn't mean other highly ranked universities do as well. Ignoring the name severely penalizes a group of people who are among the most dedicated students in the country.

It may not be fair but I feel like schools like Davis, LSU, Colorado and Oregon have to weed out OOS candidates this way, because otherwise there would be no way to select such a small # out of 500 to 1000 applicants in a timely fashion. Even if they had all the time in the world, think how hard it is to differentiate between 100 candidates who have all the same seemingly awesome PS, work experiences, etc. A few tenths of a grade point may be the only thing that differentiates two candidates who are the same in every other respect. They need something concrete and objective like GPA and GRE scores to sift through and eliminate applicants because otherwise they would end up with way too many candidates for the few spaces they have available.

I know it sucks, but they did publish this stuff on the website. I read it before I chose to spend the money to apply to LSU, and if I didn't have high scores I wouldn't have applied b/c it would have been a waste of my money! I researched every school (yes, all 13!) that I applied to, but I know mistakes happen. For instance, I never would have applied to Missouri had I realized that they value cumm GPA only since my cumm GPA is significantly lower than my 45 hr/science. Missouri was a waste of my money so I can understand why people would be frustrated if they didn't realize the Top 150 thing before they applied.

I simply think it is unfair to instantly disregard nearly 400 or so students because they did not meet the Top 150. There is certainly more to every applicant. And other vet school admissions do take the time to look through all (or at least most) applications.
I do agree with this, but there's nothing we can do about it (unless we wind up running Admissions one day).

Illinois rejected me, and others, based on numbers, and it sucks. There are "diamonds in the rough", just waiting to be polished off, but its their prerogative. And their loss.

I know it sucks, but they did publish this stuff on the website. I read it before I chose to spend the money to apply to LSU, and if I didn't have high scores I wouldn't have applied b/c it would have been a waste of my money! I researched every school (yes, all 13!) that I applied to, but I know mistakes happen. For instance, I never would have applied to Missouri had I realized that they value cumm GPA only since my cumm GPA is significantly lower than my 45 hr/science. Missouri was a waste of my money so I can understand why people would be frustrated if they didn't realize the Top 150 thing before they applied.

This is the truth right here.

Has anyone heard anything about when we might get letters regarding interviews?

Has anyone heard anything about when we might get letters regarding interviews?
It should be next week. They said the second week in January we should hear something.

I got an interview too!!!!!! Yay!!!!

me too!!!!!! congrats everyone!!! so excited

Yay!! I got one too!! Congrats everyone!!

Got put on the waitlist, no interview, pretty happy with that haha.

OOS alternate...same as last year :-/ oh well I expected it. Congrats to everyone who received an interview!

This is weird! I was not granted an interview this year even though I consider I am much more competitive than last year (when I interviewed with them). And they still don't have an alternate list for my state...

This might be a stupid question, but... Did they not grant me an interview because I already interviewed last year? Or because I just wasn't competitive enough this year? pretty sure it's the latter. I'm just in shock because I was expecting an interview.

This is weird! I was not granted an interview this year even though I consider I am much more competitive than last year (when I interviewed with them). And they still don't have an alternate list for my state...

This might be a stupid question, but... Did they not grant me an interview because I already interviewed last year? Or because I just wasn't competitive enough this year? pretty sure it's the latter. I'm just in shock because I was expecting an interview.
From what I understand second time applicants are actually looked at as better applicants because they have had more time to gain experience. So my guess is the applicant pool must have been pretty intense! I'm sorry you didn't get an interview but what I tell myself is every no is closer to a yes!!

Is anyone else incredibly nervous about the fact that it is a blind interview? They know nothing. That' s a lot of talking...

Is anyone else incredibly nervous about the fact that it is a blind interview? They know nothing. That' s a lot of talking...
Just be ready to "tell us a little about yourself" at the beginning of the interview. You've already written it all out, now just pull out the important stuff: interesting experiences, why you want to be a vet, maybe a random fact. At least you know that your interviewers will be cold--it's much easier when you're prepared.

Does anyone know how many OOS applicants were selected for an interview and how many they generally accept?

Congrats on your interviews, LSU hopefuls! Have you read about Brandy Duhon (LSU V13)? She's an amazing student who overcame incredible obstacles to become a veterinarian. What an inspiration! Read about her story here (http://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/PDFs/La Veterinaire/item59182.pdf; Article title: 'I wanted to do something I would love').

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats everyone who got an interview! I got one too! I was wondering if anyone knew how many Louisiana residents they interview, since they accept 64?