MCW vs NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarika

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I usually don’t like these kinds of threads, b/c the random people on the Internet shouldn’t be the basis of life decisions, but I’m really struggling with this decision after weeks of thinking about it so I thought I’d get everyone’s opinions to see if maybe I’m missing some insights.

I am sitting on two waitlists, either of which I would attend over my two current top choices, and I have written a letter of intent to one.

I’m debating between MCW and NJMS.

MCW:
Pros:
-I’m pretty interested in research, so I like the pathway program.
-I really felt at home on the interview day. People always talk about fit. I feel like MCW “fit.”
-Seemed like a pretty safe neighborhood but close to a city
-I know I might get bashed for this, but it’s the best-ranked school I got into. (I fully realize it’s not like it’s a top 20 or anything though.)

Cons:
-Far from my friends and family.
-I want to do residency in the NYC area or the "south" (Maryland, Virginia, the Carolinas) and that might be hard due to regional bias.
-Slightly more expensive (not enough to not go though)
-6 categories of grades

NJMS:
Pros:
-I like the structure of the curriculum
-It’s really close to my family (less than an hour) and I’m very close with my family.
-It just feels like the easy choice in some sense. I can see my family whenever I have time, tons of my friends from college are moving to NYC, I know kids from my school going there now and in the fall.

Cons:
-I’m worried about the financial state of the school. They lost 20 million in state funding.
This is going to end up affecting the students in more ways than just a tuition increase.
-Newark is a pretty unsafe neighborhood.
-I realize it might be exaggerated, but some of the negatives posted on the class thread from current students are rather disconcerting.
-Again, I might get bashed, but NJMS is still unranked even after they expanded the list to 90.

So, school I like with programs I am interested in versus school that I also like, just not nearly as much, that is close to my family and friends.

I'm leaning towards NJMS, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything. It's difficult b/c my instincts say NJMS, but my parents (who come from business and law where school name is much more important than in medicine) say I should go to MCW b/c it's my most highly ranked school and b/c of how much I loved the school.

Sorry for the length. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

NJMS, like you said MCW is not a "must go" in terms of rankings and it seems like you'd have more support there

Ok, so I usually don’t like these kinds of threads, b/c the random people on the Internet shouldn’t be the basis of life decisions, but I’m really struggling with this decision after weeks of thinking about it so I thought I’d get everyone’s opinions to see if maybe I’m missing some insights.

I am sitting on two waitlists, either of which I would attend over my two current top choices, and I have written a letter of intent to one.

I’m debating between MCW and NJMS.

MCW:
Pros:
-I’m pretty interested in research, so I like the pathway program.
-I really felt at home on the interview day. People always talk about fit. I feel like MCW “fit.”
-Seemed like a pretty safe neighborhood but close to a city
-I know I might get bashed for this, but it’s the best-ranked school I got into. (I fully realize it’s not like it’s a top 20 or anything though.)

Cons:
-Far from my friends and family.
-I want to do residency in the NYC area or the "south" (Maryland, Virginia, the Carolinas) and that might be hard due to regional bias.
-Slightly more expensive (not enough to not go though)
-6 categories of grades

NJMS:
Pros:
-I like the structure of the curriculum
-It’s really close to my family (less than an hour) and I’m very close with my family.
-It just feels like the easy choice in some sense. I can see my family whenever I have time, tons of my friends from college are moving to NYC, I know kids from my school going there now and in the fall.

Cons:
-I’m worried about the financial state of the school. They lost 20 million in state funding.
This is going to end up affecting the students in more ways than just a tuition increase.
-Newark is a pretty unsafe neighborhood.
-I realize it might be exaggerated, but some of the negatives posted on the class thread from current students are rather disconcerting.
-Again, I might get bashed, but NJMS is still unranked even after they expanded the list to 90.

So, school I like with programs I am interested in versus school that I also like, just not nearly as much, that is close to my family and friends.

I'm leaning towards NJMS, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything. It's difficult b/c my instincts say NJMS, but my parents (who come from business and law where school name is much more important than in medicine) say I should go to MCW b/c it's my most highly ranked school and b/c of how much I loved the school.

Sorry for the length. Any thoughts?

If you loved MCW that much and you feel like it "fit" then why not MCW? Rankings don't mean too much unless you're in a top 20, and even then why go if you don't feel at home. Med school is 4 years after all, so why not spend it at a place you love? I'm going there because I felt right at home. I'm from CA--so I know what you mean when you'll be far from friends and family, but then again this could be a chance to make more amazing friends and your family will always be there for you regardless of distance. Besides its not like you won't keep in touch with the friends you have right now-- I know for a fact that a lot of the friends I have right now will be visiting me in Milwaukee next year and that I'll be sticking with them for the rest of my life because they are really the best friends I've ever had.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know nothing about MCW, but I do know a lot about NJMS...I actually just withdrew from there the other day. All your cons listed are valid. My mom went to their Parents' Day event and she said they flat out stated they have no money and then skimped over the financial aid portion :/ I also didn't "click" with the school or the student body. I was real iffy about the no anatomy lecture and also felt the class was young and all from Rutgers and TCNJ. In sum, I was not a fan...and I know costs are about to increase even more for this year, making them rather expensive for IS.

IMO, if you clicked with MCW, go with it! The price difference can't be too much. True, its far, but 1) you won't have ample time in med school to be hanging out with friends and family, 2) you don't want to spend 4yrs at a place you don't like.

I am biased as an NJMS student, but I will tell you it's a great school with a fantastic student body and great education. I know nothing about MCW, but I can tell you your education and opportunities will probably be comparable from either institution.

For me, the deciding factor would be your family's proximity to NJMS. Right now you have no idea how little time you are going to have in medical school. Being near family is a huuge luxury. Instead of the difficult prospect of arranging weekend trips to see family, you can swing by for dinner on a weeknight. It might be the difference between seeing your family once a month and seeing them a few times a week.

I'm picking njms over an even higher ranked school than mcw, it just doesn't make sense with these prices and uncertain futures, and NYC right there for better summer research than Wisconsin, I mean come on Wisconsin?

Bump to see if anyone else how opinions about either school.

Thanks, sorry to be a pest! :oops:

Last edited:
So, I'm really sorry to be so annoying and bump this a second time, but May 15th is looming and I didn't get any extra responses after the first bump a week ago. Sorry! :oops:

I'm leaning towards NJMS (meaning, I change my mind once every few days as opposed to constantly like when I initially started this thread) but I just wanted to make sure I'm not over-looking anything huge in my pros and cons list.

It's difficult, b/c my brain says I should go to NJ:
-Cheapest
-Closest to family (family is important to me)
-One the East Coast where I want to do residency

But, I felt best at MCW. Except for geographic location (meaning distance from home & weather), its very close to what I was looking for in a med school. But, when it's snowy, freezing, and I haven't seen my family for a long period of time during 3rd year when there are less breaks, is it really going to "feel" best. I obviously can't know for sure, but I'm guessing maybe not.

I don't think I'll necessarily be unhappy at NJMS, but it will be a huge environmental change for me and I'm a little apprehensive about that.

Any additional insights? (Again, I'm sorry if I'm clogging the boards.)

Thanks guys!

It sounds like family is a huge driving force behind your decision, so it appears that NJMS is best for you.

So, I'm really sorry to be so annoying and bump this a second time, but May 15th is looming and I didn't get any extra responses after the first bump a week ago. Sorry! :oops:

I'm leaning towards NJMS (meaning, I change my mind once every few days as opposed to constantly like when I initially started this thread) but I just wanted to make sure I'm not over-looking anything huge in my pros and cons list.

-Cheapest

But, I felt best at MCW. Except for geographic location (meaning distance from home & weather), its very close to what I was looking for in a med school. But, when it's snowy, freezing, and I haven't seen my family for a long period of time during 3rd year when there are less breaks, is it really going to "feel" best. I obviously can't know for sure, but I'm guessing maybe not.

I don't think I'll necessarily be unhappy at NJMS, but it will be a huge environmental change for me and I'm a little apprehensive about that.

Thanks guys!

On the one side you've got family, cost, and location near residency programs you want (this matters). On the other side, you've got feelings and "fit". Dude, the choice is easy. What exactly does MCW have that NJMS doesn't? Pretty campus? Safer neighborhood? This stuff really doesn't matter.

-Cheapest

Thanks guys!

This is the main reason why I chose MCW when my family was 3000 some odd miles away in perpetual warm over my state school where MCW was about 16,000 more expensive.

The decision is really yours. I'd ask most of those questions you PM'd me in the allo class threads. The school has changed so much that I won't have an accurate answer.

PS: Just because you go to a Midwest school, doesn't mean you're doomed to stay in the Midwest forever. I still have bright hopes to go back West.

Status
Not open for further replies.