mae_iv

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Im just interested in finding about the interview info and how much time they will give us to make plans to come there for one. && Hopefully they give multiple options to choose from.

mae_iv

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Interview info?
Well let me say that I am interested in seeing if they are going to interview us or not. I have heard both yes and no from various sources. My yes was from a very credible source. However, I know that things change in the midst of the cycle, and that could now be a no. However, I am keeping an open mind about it. I know people that people that have already interviewed with the school did have to interview again. But in my case, I did not, I am under the assumption that I may have to, unless told otherwise. Esp with them possibly having outside/non-invite applications. Everything is a toss up at this point. Nothing is fully clear on next steps.... other than that mandatory orientation on 8/1 and 8/2. lol

Aug 3, 2018
Well let me say that I am interested in seeing if they are going to interview us or not. I have heard both yes and no from various sources. My yes was from a very credible source. However, I know that things change in the midst of the cycle, and that could now be a no. However, I am keeping an open mind about it. I know people that people that have already interviewed with the school did have to interview again. But in my case, I did not, I am under the assumption that I may have to, unless told otherwise. Esp with them possibly having outside/non-invite applications. Everything is a toss up at this point. Nothing is fully clear on next steps.... other than that mandatory orientation on 8/1 and 8/2. lol
I don't think there's going to be an interview since they're transitioning the MHS program from a linkage program to a traditional post-bac. We're just probably gonna get a guaranteed interview for their medical school.

So we had to directly apply to the MHS program? I thought when you applied for actual dental or medical school they consider those candidates for the MHS program?
Pre-meds had to submit applications. They accepted pre-dents based on their dental school applications.

Reactions: Esosa

mae_iv

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think there's going to be an interview since they're transitioning the MHS program from a guaranteed acceptance program to a traditional post-bac. We're just probably gonna get a guaranteed interview for their medical school.

Pre-meds had to submit applications. They accepted pre-dents based on their dental school applications.
Gotcha ! From my understanding it was never a guaranteed acceptance on paper. That was something that was kinda known as long as you got the GPA/test score. I know ppl on both the dental and medical side that went through MHS and their paperwork never said it was a guaranteed acceptance but that was what it was between the lines, if that makes sense. From the admissions person that I spoke to in April, the expedited admissions review and not having to submit another AMCAS still stands.

But again, this is why I am waiting on official word from them because it has been more assumption and speculations and different ppl saying different things....

Dec 20, 2018
Gotcha ! From my understanding it was never a guaranteed acceptance on paper. That was something that was kinda known as long as you got the GPA/test score. I know ppl on both the dental and medical side that went through MHS and their paperwork never said it was a guaranteed acceptance but that was what it was between the lines, if that makes sense. From the admissions person that I spoke to in April, the expedited admissions review and not having to submit another AMCAS still stands.

But again, this is why I am waiting on official word from them because it has been more assumption and speculations and different ppl saying different things....
I was told we would need to submit another AMCAS application upon completion of the MHS program to get into medical school.

Reactions: Kojo90
May 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Oh, I see what you're saying. I don't think there will be an interview only because we will be notified of our application status by June 1st (via email). So pretty much at this point I'm just going with the flow lol. - Then, again I'm on the dental side.

OP
Kojo90

Kojo90

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
So we had to directly apply to the MHS program? I thought when you applied for actual dental or medical school they consider those candidates for the MHS program?
For Pre dent that is correct, (not sure, maybe one of the ppl accepted via pre dent tract can confirm if they applied to the MHS program or were just accepted? For pre med we had to apply.

Dec 20, 2018
Oh, I see what you're saying. I don't think there will be an interview only because we will be notified of our application status by June 1st (via email). So pretty much at this point I'm just going with the flow lol. - Then, again I'm on the dental side.
I’m on the pre-med side and the email said final decisions would be given out on the next email we receive so I doubt there will be interviews.

Reactions: creativemind0306

mae_iv

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I was told we would need to submit another AMCAS application upon completion of the MHS program to get into medical school.
Interesting... idk how I feel about that. But im not gonna trip about it. I am going to do less stressing and more praying at this point. God will provide

Dec 20, 2018
Interesting... idk how I feel about that. But im not gonna trip about it. I am going to do less stressing and more praying at this point. God will provide
It’s not that serious honestly. You’re guaranteed an interview if you meet the requirements to do so after going through the MHS program. I think they just want everyone to go through the same process. AMCAS applications are a pain, but I’m pretty much gona just copy and paste everything from the old one. I’m not writing new content for the personal statement and all that.

Mar 27, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
It’s not a traditional post bac everything remains the same judging from the initial email we got about the program. It wouldn’t make sense for us to be in the same classes with pre-dent students and they have a guaranteed admission as long as they follow the guidelines for admissions and the same not apply for premeds within the same program.

mae_iv

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
It’s not that serious honestly. You’re guaranteed an interview if you meet the requirements to do so after going through the MHS program. I think they just want everyone to go through the same process. AMCAS applications are a pain, but I’m pretty much gona just copy and paste everything from the old one. I’m not writing new content for the personal statement and all that.
Ive applied to medical school multiple times before so its nothing for me to complete an AMCAS. That was not my concern. My concern is needing to know if I can submit my AMCAS to them this cycle before even doing the program. If I have to submit after completing the program then that means I have to wait another year and start in 2021... im not really feeling that. The reason why I liked not having to submit my AMCAS again means I get to complete the program over the next 10 months and be an M1 in 2020, not doing a 10 month program, submitting an AMCAS in 2020 and then being an M1 in 2021. That just is slightly pointless to me. So that was my 1 concern with the program. When the Admissions manager cleared that up with me I felt better and the program made sense for me to do, personally. So that I something I need to get clarity on again, so I know that I have some security in this program.

mae_iv

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
It’s not a traditional post bac everything remains the same judging from the initial email we got about the program. It wouldn’t make sense for us to be in the same classes with pre-dent students and they have a guaranteed admission as long as they follow the guidelines for admissions and the same not apply for premeds within the same program.
My sentiments exactly friend!

Reactions: UofK2016

Esosa

2+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2017
I don't think there's going to be an interview since they're transitioning the MHS program from a linkage program to a traditional post-bac. We're just probably gonna get a guaranteed interview for their medical school.

You were told it’s no longer a linkage?

Aug 3, 2018
Where did you get this information from? I thought it was still a linkage...
Honestly, I just made the assumption that it was. A friend of mine was able to get someone from admissions in the phone when they first sent the application invites out and they said they implemented it this cycle for “possible changes in future admissions processes.” Someone mentioned the idea of this becoming a post bac program earlier in the thread and that kind of stuck in my mind.

Sep 24, 2018
Ive applied to medical school multiple times before so its nothing for me to complete an AMCAS. That was not my concern. My concern is needing to know if I can submit my AMCAS to them this cycle before even doing the program. If I have to submit after completing the program then that means I have to wait another year and start in 2021... im not really feeling that. The reason why I liked not having to submit my AMCAS again means I get to complete the program over the next 10 months and be an M1 in 2020, not doing a 10 month program, submitting an AMCAS in 2020 and then being an M1 in 2021. That just is slightly pointless to me. So that was my 1 concern with the program. When the Admissions manager cleared that up with me I felt better and the program made sense for me to do, personally. So that I something I need to get clarity on again, so I know that I have some security in this program.
So just to be clear we have to complete the amcas before the program starts ? Can we use the same recs because I had a gap year so I really have no one to ask for recs? Also if we meet the guidelines we matriculate directly into the med school right ? We don’t have to wait for a year ? Just to be sure !!

mae_iv

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
So just to be clear we have to complete the amcas before the program starts ? Can we use the same recs because I had a gap year so I really have no one to ask for recs? Also if we meet the guidelines we matriculate directly into the med school right ? We don’t have to wait for a year ? Just to be sure !!
That’s where the disconnect is for me. Speaking for myself I would like to apply this cycle so I don’t have to sit out another year... But I was told that we didn’t have to use AMCAS again, hence I haven’t talked to anyone about LORs etc. Personally, I am gonna take a step back and not assume anything else until I get clarity from them. This is stressing me out tryna read between lines and make sense of things...

May 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I applied in March when I got the initial email to get the expedited review, which they told me I'd know by the end of April, then by the end of May. Last week, was still being told that my app was under review. I'm pre-med applied to the medical school.

Aug 29, 2018
I’m late to the party, but I’m waiting to hear back from Meharry (I got the email on Saturday). I’m curious about the AMCAS application thing. Do I need to submit now, after the program, or at all? The fact that we have to take the MCAT by January has me thinking about when we’d matriculate.

Feb 1, 2019
update: Checked my other e-mail, they did send it, I'm a little at peace now
From what i have gathered from past threads and past MHS students comments, Those who met the requirements will matriculate with the following medical class regardless. So in our case if we meet the requirements we would matriculate Aug 2020 for Meharry Medical College. It’s seems that MHS students are usually notified in May if they meet the requirements and start Medical school the in August. It’s may seem late in the application cycle to take the MCAT in January but that’s why this is a linkage program because they i guess “ save seats” for those who are in the MHS program. Again things may have changed in the application process but i do think at this point we are only 9 days away so i think we should just wait to hear back if we got accepted or not and then proceed from there. I have been getting anxious too so i feel y’all completely but i think all these assumptions are causing more confusion. I wish us all the best!

Jul 1, 2018
Man y’all are so jumping to conclusions. Once they have their agreements in writing for me to see and make a judgement , then I’ll be at ease. However until then , I’m expecting the worse in all scenarios .

Yes , other students have said this or that , but they are doing a different process for us now so I wouldn’t rely on those people words anymore.

Summary: expect the unexpected and ensure you all have a back up plan if things do go south.

Dec 20, 2018
I was told we don't matriculate directly into medical school. We are guaranteed an interview at Meharry, however I was told that you would basically have to threaten someone in the interview with a knife or something to not get in lol.

Dec 20, 2018
I’m late to the party, but I’m waiting to hear back from Meharry (I got the email on Saturday). I’m curious about the AMCAS application thing. Do I need to submit now, after the program, or at all? The fact that we have to take the MCAT by January has me thinking about when we’d matriculate.
We should probably just wait until we hear back about the program. I'm sure all the details will be given once we're accepted.

OP
Kojo90

Kojo90

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
didn't get that e-mail, wonder if that means I got denied.
Double check your spam and whatever email you got your initial email from them about applying to the program.

iqe2010

7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Have y’all completed fasfa yet?

We can get federal aide for this program, right?

How much living expenses do y’all think it will be? 20k?

Jul 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Have y’all completed fasfa yet?

We can get federal aide for this program, right?

How much living expenses do y’all think it will be? 20k?
Yup. I completed fasfa back in October but added meharry to my school list after i submitted my application for the MHS program. They have the breakdown for costs on their website but I'd assume so if you dont have any extra expenses

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019
Greenville, SC
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if pets are allowed in any of the apartments/dorms on campus?
I did a little research and at a couple of the housing places I looked at (Morena Place specifically) pets weren't allowed. But kids were. I have a rescue pup who would not function without me for a year away from home, so wherever I live has to accommodate pets. I don't think the other options allowed pets either, but I am not quite sure.

• Sad
Reactions: youdontknowmynameee
Dec 15, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey everyone! I can’t wait till everyone gets accepted! I just have a couple notes from what I read lately

1. Only dents interview, meds have to do the supplemental application. That’s how they get to know everyone a little better. In very rare cases they MAY accept a dent who didn’t interview. However, it is unlikely but anything is possible.

2. If you are accepted into the program for the 19-20 year. You have to apply to Med and dent school again during that school year so that you will be eligible for the 2024 class. If you have the MCAT minimum (501 with at least 122 in each subject) or the DAT minimum(17) then you can apply as soon as applications open in June. However if you don’t have the score, or if your scores expired, then you need to have the new score by January (or taken the MCAT by January) then apply for Med/dent school. If you only apply to Meharry you can keep the same recommendation letters, ADSAS doesn’t save Rec letters, so you will just submit your app with that area blank.

3. If you get the grades and the test scores, then you WILL be accepted. As someone stated before, you have to be a pretty terrible person to not get accepted after this program. Lol. The only way to not get accepted is if you present yourself as a bad fit for Meharrywhich takes a lot. You’d have to be terrible, fight, disrespectful to faculty and staff, etc. Seats are being held for everyone in MHS so don’t sweat that. You will have to interview if you didn’t interview to get accepted into MHS, it’s honestly just a formality to check that box off on your application to make it official. Faculty and staff observe you through the year so that’s really your interview.

4. I’m hoping you all get accepted in this thread, the personalities here are amazing and I think you all will get along well, which is the most important part of the program. When you get accepted they answer even fewer questions that you have until you arrive for orientation, so feel free DM me if you got any other questions. Good luck y’all!

Jul 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone! I can’t wait till everyone gets accepted! I just have a couple notes from what I read lately

1. Only dents interview, meds have to do the supplemental application. That’s how they get to know everyone a little better. In very rare cases they MAY accept a dent who didn’t interview. However, it is unlikely but anything is possible.

2. If you are accepted into the program for the 19-20 year. You have to apply to Med and dent school again during that school year so that you will be eligible for the 2024 class. If you have the MCAT minimum (501 with at least 122 in each subject) or the DAT minimum(17) then you can apply as soon as applications open in June. However if you don’t have the score, or if your scores expired, then you need to have the new score by January (or taken the MCAT by January) then apply for Med/dent school. If you only apply to Meharry you can keep the same recommendation letters, ADSAS doesn’t save Rec letters, so you will just submit your app with that area blank.

3. If you get the grades and the test scores, then you WILL be accepted. As someone stated before, you have to be a pretty terrible person to not get accepted after this program. Lol. The only way to not get accepted is if you present yourself as a bad fit for Meharrywhich takes a lot. You’d have to be terrible, fight, disrespectful to faculty and staff, etc. Seats are being held for everyone in MHS so don’t sweat that. You will have to interview if you didn’t interview to get accepted into MHS, it’s honestly just a formality to check that box off on your application to make it official. Faculty and staff observe you through the year so that’s really your interview.

4. I’m hoping you all get accepted in this thread, the personalities here are amazing and I think you all will get along well, which is the most important part of the program. When you get accepted they answer even fewer questions that you have until you arrive for orientation, so feel free DM me if you got any other questions. Good luck y’all!
Always grateful for your insight! I hope your year in the MHS program was great!

Reactions: Hope143
Mar 27, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow. So are y’all aware that once we make it past the MHS program and even as a regular applicant, the deposit to hold your seat to matriculate into the medical school is $1500!!!! That is absolutely insane.

• Wow
Reactions: jamaicangal99