OP
Kojo90

Kojo90

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow. So are y’all aware that once we make it past the MHS program and even as a regular applicant, the deposit to hold your seat to matriculate into the medical school is $1500!!!! That is absolutely insane.
I wonder if they work for you if you don't have the full 1500$ lol.

Apr 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone! I can’t wait till everyone gets accepted! I just have a couple notes from what I read lately

1. Only dents interview, meds have to do the supplemental application. That’s how they get to know everyone a little better. In very rare cases they MAY accept a dent who didn’t interview. However, it is unlikely but anything is possible.

2. If you are accepted into the program for the 19-20 year. You have to apply to Med and dent school again during that school year so that you will be eligible for the 2024 class. If you have the MCAT minimum (501 with at least 122 in each subject) or the DAT minimum(17) then you can apply as soon as applications open in June. However if you don’t have the score, or if your scores expired, then you need to have the new score by January (or taken the MCAT by January) then apply for Med/dent school. If you only apply to Meharry you can keep the same recommendation letters, ADSAS doesn’t save Rec letters, so you will just submit your app with that area blank.

3. If you get the grades and the test scores, then you WILL be accepted. As someone stated before, you have to be a pretty terrible person to not get accepted after this program. Lol. The only way to not get accepted is if you present yourself as a bad fit for Meharrywhich takes a lot. You’d have to be terrible, fight, disrespectful to faculty and staff, etc. Seats are being held for everyone in MHS so don’t sweat that. You will have to interview if you didn’t interview to get accepted into MHS, it’s honestly just a formality to check that box off on your application to make it official. Faculty and staff observe you through the year so that’s really your interview.

4. I’m hoping you all get accepted in this thread, the personalities here are amazing and I think you all will get along well, which is the most important part of the program. When you get accepted they answer even fewer questions that you have until you arrive for orientation, so feel free DM me if you got any other questions. Good luck y’all!
Thanks for clearing things up!

Dec 20, 2018
Hey everyone! I can’t wait till everyone gets accepted! I just have a couple notes from what I read lately

1. Only dents interview, meds have to do the supplemental application. That’s how they get to know everyone a little better. In very rare cases they MAY accept a dent who didn’t interview. However, it is unlikely but anything is possible.

2. If you are accepted into the program for the 19-20 year. You have to apply to Med and dent school again during that school year so that you will be eligible for the 2024 class. If you have the MCAT minimum (501 with at least 122 in each subject) or the DAT minimum(17) then you can apply as soon as applications open in June. However if you don’t have the score, or if your scores expired, then you need to have the new score by January (or taken the MCAT by January) then apply for Med/dent school. If you only apply to Meharry you can keep the same recommendation letters, ADSAS doesn’t save Rec letters, so you will just submit your app with that area blank.

3. If you get the grades and the test scores, then you WILL be accepted. As someone stated before, you have to be a pretty terrible person to not get accepted after this program. Lol. The only way to not get accepted is if you present yourself as a bad fit for Meharrywhich takes a lot. You’d have to be terrible, fight, disrespectful to faculty and staff, etc. Seats are being held for everyone in MHS so don’t sweat that. You will have to interview if you didn’t interview to get accepted into MHS, it’s honestly just a formality to check that box off on your application to make it official. Faculty and staff observe you through the year so that’s really your interview.

4. I’m hoping you all get accepted in this thread, the personalities here are amazing and I think you all will get along well, which is the most important part of the program. When you get accepted they answer even fewer questions that you have until you arrive for orientation, so feel free DM me if you got any other questions. Good luck y’all!
Thanks!

Jul 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow. So are y’all aware that once we make it past the MHS program and even as a regular applicant, the deposit to hold your seat to matriculate into the medical school is $1500!!!! That is absolutely insane.
That's the cost for a lot of places some even more. I had a friend have to pay $3000 to hold his seat for law school at GW.
It's part of the dues we have to pay to become physicians. It'll be worth it

Mar 27, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
That's the cost for a lot of places some even more. I had a friend have to pay $3000 to hold his seat for law school at GW.
It's part of the dues we have to pay to become physicians. It'll be worth it
I promise you I have never heard of that type of money being required. Maybe a few hundred dollars but never nothing in the thousands. But it is what it is I guess if you don’t have any other options.

Jul 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
It’s approx $65000 for the program!! And then we can subtract the $1500 if we don’t need MCAT prep (which I do need unfortunately) !! So technically if you are done with the mcat you can use that money to reserve your seat :) !!
Ding ding ding. Or just make sure to budget out 1500 from your refund specifically for it. Heck throw it in savings account to let it accrue something while you wait.

May 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Just kind of curious as to what else they are reviewing since the adcom already "approved" us

OP
Kojo90

Kojo90

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Just kind of curious as to what else they are reviewing since the adcom already "approved" us
Probably comes down now to what we have done that would show us to be Physicians and Dentists that will truly make positive change & fit in with the culture at Meharry. That initial review is always just metrics.

Mar 27, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I just checked MSAR. It is 100$ for class deposit.
My friend just got admitted and she is stressing about finding the $1500..idk what the $100 is about but apparently there was no warning about the deposit being that high.

OP
Kojo90

Kojo90

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
My friend just got admitted and she is stressing about finding the $1500..idk what the $100 is about but apparently there was no warning about the deposit being that high.
Wow so maybe is 100$ is to hold your seat. And the 1500$ is for actual deposit

Reactions: youdontknowmynameee
Jul 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow so maybe is 100$ is to hold your seat. And the 1500$ is for actual deposit
Probably. I paid $350 for undergrad so I'd expect to pay more for med school. Plus the $1500 goes toward tuition also. So technically you're not losing money, you're just paying 1 fee up front

Mar 27, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Probably. I paid $350 for undergrad so I'd expect to pay more for med school. Plus the $1500 goes toward tuition also. So technically you're not losing money, you're just paying 1 fee up front
Naw they could wait on my award package to drop to deduct those funds lol I hear you but they are still tripping to me no matter how u flip it.

Reactions: UofK2016

mae_iv

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

Thank you so much for your insight! It IS always appreciated! Also, thanks for staying up to date in this thread. All 26 pages! haha. You very well could be doing other things since you are already good. Its always humbling and inspiring when ppl make it their business to reach back and help those coming behind you ! So thanks again ! ;-)

iqe2010

7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

Thanks for the info.

May 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
talked to them on yesterday. They don't know an exact date when we will hear. They are trying to finalize all the medical school processing, then they will focus on the graduate programs. The 7000 application # that we keep hearing about is 7000 total applications that Meharry Medical School received this year.

Mar 27, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
talked to them on yesterday. They don't know an exact date when we will hear. They are trying to finalize all the medical school processing, then they will focus on the graduate programs. The 7000 application # that we keep hearing about is 7000 total applications that Meharry Medical School received this year.
Soo much for an expedited review!! Lol thanks for the update tho.

• Haha
Apr 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

I just wanted to 'Thank you' for helping us out and keeping us posted on the program. I really appreciate the fact that you take time out of your schedule to keep up with the thread and answer all of our questions. We appreciate you so much! You are amazing!! :)

OP
Kojo90

Kojo90

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

I agree with everyone else. I appreciate you looking out

Feb 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Hmmm I wonder how much longer dental students will have to wait. The class is full and has been for awhile now.

Dec 20, 2018
Does anyone know what registration is? I looked at the academic calendar for the MHS program for the 2018-2019 year and it showed registration from July to august. I wonder if that’s when they started accepting people

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018
Probably class registration
Now that i'm comparing the academic calendars for the MHS and MD program I think that's what it is as well. The M1 registration ends June 1st and the MHS begins registration on July 9th. It would make sense to hear back in June if we're accepted or not and then register for classes in July.