Meharry Masters of Health Science Program 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
No success with emailing or calling. I’m just trying to figure out if acceptances for pre dental students went out already.
Me either. I’m applying to other master programs at this point. Can’t wait forever. It’s been radio silent since my interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Me either. I’m applying to other master programs at this point. Can’t wait forever. It’s been radio silent since my interview.
What other programs are still accepting applications?

What other programs are still accepting applications?

**Edit** Marian (Has an Osteopathic Medical school) is still accepting applications for their masters. -- DO NOT apply for masters program. Look at the student reviews for it on SDN and you'll see that it's trash lol

Also Columbia's post bacc is still accepting too. They still are flooding e-mails as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Marian (Has an Osteopathic Medical school) is still accepting applications for their masters. They keep flooding my emails and I'm not sure how they got my email lol.

Also Columbia"s post bacc is still accepting too. They still are flooding e-mails as well.

FYI, I read about the Marian program here on SDN and current students had a lot of negative to say.

So sorry this has been talked about, but after filling out the app for housing how did u all submit it? Just by sending it through mail? Also, is there a fee for this app? Thanks!

Also, did anyone at all on the waitlist try to call to confirm that our positions on the waitlist are indeed unranked??

So sorry this has been talked about, but after filling out the app for housing how did u all submit it? Just by sending it through mail? Also, is there a fee for this app? Thanks!
Via email and there is no fee

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, did anyone at all on the waitlist try to call to confirm that our positions on the waitlist are indeed unranked??

When I spoke to admissions they said they couldn’t give out information pertaining to the amount of ppl on the waitlist. I also ask since it’s unranked how do y’all go about selecting people and dude was just like we go to the application pool and just select ppl based off of a holistic review of each applicant so basically no real specific answer. I’m not putting my life on hold for them when I submitted my app within 24 hrs of receiving it in March. Clearly they do whatever cause that’s not “priority”.

FYI, I read about the Marian program here on SDN and current students had a lot of negative to say.
Yup. I just looked it up and I feel bad for those students.

Yup. I just looked it up and I feel bad for those students.

Right I read this last night too. Sheesh DO NOT apply to that program.

When I spoke to admissions they said they couldn’t give out information pertaining to the amount of ppl on the waitlist. I also ask since it’s unranked how do y’all go about selecting people and dude was just like we go to the application pool and just select ppl based off of a holistic review of each applicant so basically no real specific answer. I’m not putting my life on hold for them when I submitted my app within 24 hrs of receiving it in March. Clearly they do whatever cause that’s not “priority”.

Thanks for this info... ugh this is frustrating because this could go on all the way until the start date and I am pretty far away from TN (as I know many others are as well) so moving would def. take time :(

Thanks for this info... ugh this is frustrating because this could go on all the way until the start date and I am pretty far away from TN (as I know many others are as well) so moving would def. take time :(
Were u accepted? Are u on the groupme?

Were u accepted? Are u on the groupme?

No, unfortunately still on waitlist :( But congratulations to you as well as all those who already got accepted!! :) Wishing u all nothing but the best :) :) :)

Good morning y’all. Those who have already been accepted, if y’all don’t mind me asking, how many people are currently in the group me? I know everybody doesn’t have Facebook, and I just kinda wanted to gauge my waitlist chances if the program is supposed to be for 100 people.

Reactions: 2 users
Good morning y’all. Those who have already been accepted, if y’all don’t mind me asking, how many people are currently in the group me? I know everybody doesn’t have Facebook, and I just kinda wanted to gauge my waitlist chances if the program is supposed to be for 100 people.
only 49

Reactions: 3 users
I got accepted last week and I drove to Nashville last week and went to Meharry's office to talk to some people in person. I couldn't reach anyone on the phone and had some questions. I found out that during the summer some of the offices close early. For example, Finacial Aid had signs saying they were only open from Monday to Friday 8am to 1 pm. I was on campus at 9 am and the doors to the building did not open until 10am. So you may want to try calling around 10am to catch someone. Also, I only saw a few people working in Admissions while I was there. The day I visited Campus was also the day Medical school orientation was going on, so that could have been why I did not see that many people too. I assume most of Admissions was running the Orientation for the medical school students that day.

Also, talking with Meharry staff members they mentioned that the campus is run by a small group of Staff during the Summer. It looked like they had one student worker answering all the phone calls for Financial Aid and Admissions (which is all in the same building). She also greets everyone coming the office, and is the receptionists for Admissions and Financial Aid. I was there for a few hours and the phones NEVER stopped ringing. She was answering call, after call, after call and walking students to offices of other staffers that they needed to meet with.

Also, it seemed like a lot of people were on summer vacation too. One of the ladies they recommended I speak to about the MHS program was on summer vacation. They didn't tell me when she would be back. I was able to meet with an Admissions rep, an MHS professor, and Financial Aid person and I got all my questions answered. I have say that the Meharry people I met were very friendly and helpful, but I could tell most of them were super tired and stressed. The little lady in Financial aid told me that she just found out last week that the Admissions committee expanded the MHS program to 100 students. She said in the past they would let in 5-10 students at a time which made things a little less hectic. I think they have been working short-handed and that's why the delays with info about the program.

Also, they are expanding the size of the medical school class next year too.
Also, the professor I met was very kind. When I ran into her she was super busy, but she took the time to talk with me and answer my questions. She gave me great advice on the program, medical school, MCAT, and places to live in Nashville.

The impression I got from Meharry this past week is that they are really trying and doing the best they can. They just don't have enough staff to handle everything. If you can, I would recommend taking a trip to Meharry and talking with admissions or whoever in person. If you are waitlisted, you would want to talk to someone in admissions. If you are accepted, you will want to talk to financial aid and the MHS department. It's really tough to catch them on the phone. If you do call, try calling around 9:30 or 10 am their time to catch someone.

Reactions: 13 users
I got accepted last week and I drove to Nashville last week and went to Meharry's office to talk to some people in person. I couldn't reach anyone on the phone and had some questions. I found out that during the summer some of the offices close early. For example, Finacial Aid had signs saying they were only open from Monday to Friday 8am to 1 pm. I was on campus at 9 am and the doors to the building did not open until 10am. So you may want to try calling around 10am to catch someone. Also, I only saw a few people working in Admissions while I was there. The day I visited Campus was also the day Medical school orientation was going on, so that could have been why I did not see that many people too. I assume most of Admissions was running the Orientation for the medical school students that day.

Also, talking with Meharry staff members they mentioned that the campus is run by a small group of Staff during the Summer. It looked like they had one student worker answering all the phone calls for Financial Aid and Admissions (which is all in the same building). She also greets everyone coming the office, and is the receptionists for Admissions and Financial Aid. I was there for a few hours and the phones NEVER stopped ringing. She was answering call, after call, after call and walking students to offices of other staffers that they needed to meet with.

Also, it seemed like a lot of people were on summer vacation too. One of the ladies they recommended I speak to about the MHS program was on summer vacation. They didn't tell me when she would be back. I was able to meet with an Admissions rep, an MHS professor, and Financial Aid person and I got all my questions answered. I have say that the Meharry people I met were very friendly and helpful, but I could tell most of them were super tired and stressed. The little lady in Financial aid told me that she just found out last week that the Admissions committee expanded the MHS program to 100 students. She said in the past they would let in 5-10 students at a time which made things a little less hectic. I think they have been working short-handed and that's why the delays with info about the program.

Also, the professor I met was very kind. When I ran into her she was super busy, but she took the time to talk with me and answer my questions. She gave me great advice on the program, medical school, MCAT, and places to live in Nashville.

The impression I got from Meharry this past week is that they are really trying and doing the best they can. They just don't have enough staff to handle everything. If you can, I would recommend taking a trip to Meharry and talking with admissions or whoever in person. If you are waitlisted, you would want to talk to someone in admissions. If you are accepted, you will want to talk to financial aid and the MHS department. It's really tough to catch them on the phone. If you do call, try calling around 9:30 or 10 am their time to catch someone.
I’m waitlisted and I thought about going down there to talk with admissions but I wasn’t sure if it would be worth the money and time.

I agree the staff at Meharry is super nice. I called them asking about being waitlisted and I was informed that it’s still a very good news because some (already accepted ) and some denied. What I got from this chat was hope and a kind reminder that we have to allow the process to occur and respect it. Everyone on the waiting process just extend your prayers from 2min to 5min I am sure all is well. :)

Reactions: 5 users

Thank you for all the information!!! It's well appreciated!

Hey everyone,
I'm new to SDN but been following the thread since I applied for Meharry's program. I appreciate the support from everyone along the way. It's encouraging to see a little ELE (Everybody Loving Everybody) every now and then especially what we have been going through haha.

I accepted a waitlist position at Meharry but will be emailing shortly to take my name off the waitlist. Fortunately, I was accepted at my number one program and will be heading there.

To everyone who was rejected or waitlisted like I was, keep ya head up, keep fighting, and believe that the Lord DOES have a plan for you (and don't worry if you don't in him, I gotta enough faith for the both of us!)

Good luck and God bless! ✌

Reactions: 23 users
Since the last day for those who got accepted to accept or reject offer should be the 21st (tomorrow) according to what I read on here, do you all think that some of us still waiting on the waitlist might hear back from Meharry sometime next week??

Since the last day for those who got accepted to accept or reject offer should be the 21st (tomorrow) according to what I read on here, do you all think that some of us still waiting on the waitlist might hear back from Meharry sometime next week??
That's what I'm praying on

In all honesty, I don’t want to sound pessimistic but in my mind I think I will be waiting until July 12 (the date they said is the last one for us to find out )!

In all honesty, I don’t want to sound pessimistic but in my mind I think I will be waiting until July 12 (the date they said is the last one for us to find out )!

Ya, I am praying hard to hear back soon but at the same time I have this thought in the back of my head as well :( Best of luck to all of you on the waitlist with me!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all! I received information about the waitlist. If you did not get above a 491 on the MCAT with a 3.5 GPA you are not getting into MHS. Also, the program is staying at its size of 50 this year as well. It looks like the program is already at capacity. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but these are the facts and I hate to be strung along without knowing anything so I am sharing this with you all. I am not sure what the purpose of the waitlist was except for that if someone decides not to attend last minute.

Blessings

• Sad
Hello all! I received information about the waitlist. If you did not get above a 491 on the MCAT with a 3.5 GPA you are not getting into MHS. Also, the program is staying at its size of 50 this year as well. It looks like the program is already at capacity. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but these are the facts and I hate to be strung along without knowing anything so I am sharing this with you all. I am not sure what the purpose of the waitlist was except for that if someone decides not to attend last minute.

Blessings
If it is any consolation there is a chance some of the people who have been accepted and accepted the position may drop out last minute. Last year ppl got late acceptances 3 weeks into the program.

If it is any consolation there is a chance some of the people who have been accepted and accepted the position may drop out last minute. Last year ppl got late acceptances 3 weeks into the program.

Yeah but also moving to another state to join a program 3 weeks in puts you already at a disadvantage. I like the optimism a lot, but it’s just not appropriate to have someone do that.

Yeah but also moving to another state to join a program 3 weeks in puts you already at a disadvantage. I like the optimism a lot, but it’s just not appropriate to have someone do that.
True it sucks. But there are people last year who did just that and are in med & dent school so I just put it out there.

Where did you get this information?

Blessings

Plus. From what I've seen in the group chat everyone is superr cool and supportive so whoever may end up coming in late will be taken care of for sure. So don't stress that. Just plan like you are getting off the wait list but not necessarily have any expectations...or at least that's what I would do.

Reactions: 5 users

Blessings
Who did you get this information from

Plus. From what I've seen in the group chat everyone is superr cool and supportive so whoever may end up coming in late will be taken care of for sure. So don't stress that. Just plan like you are getting off the wait list but not necessarily have any expectations...or at least that's what I would do.

Definitely I know plenty of people in the program, but look I’m not losing sleep over it.. I have a great GPA and application and all I am missing is a score. It’s not worth me paying 40k+ for something that is not guaranteed in my opinion. For all of you on the waitlist, try to get in medical school directly if you can. A 501+ is required with and without this program for MD so if you can save the money you might as well.

So more dental students joined the group on Facebook? Just asking because before people said they seemed to be missing from the group.

Last edited:
I still think it’s possible for a few to get off the waitlist. Admissions told me the class isn’t full yet. Stay hopeful but secure other options.

I still think it’s possible for a few to get off the waitlist. Admissions told me the class isn’t full yet. Stay hopeful but secure other options.
When did you speak to admissions? I haven't called. I don't want to preoccupy my mind with the logistics too much so I just decided to be patient and let God. It's really the only way I can stay positive about this

Definitely I know plenty of people in the program, but look I’m not losing sleep over it.. I have a great GPA and application and all I am missing is a score. It’s not worth me paying 40k+ for something that is not guaranteed in my opinion. For all of you on the waitlist, try to get in medical school directly if you can. A 501+ is required with and without this program for MD so if you can save the money you might as well.
I think for the majority of us all we need is a score. For the MHS I think the classes are more so to make sure you don't struggle on the standardized test for the next level.

I think for the majority of us all we need is a score. For the MHS I think the classes are more so to make sure you don't struggle on the standardized test for the next level.

agreed, all I’m saying is friends who have gone through have told me if they could’ve just gotten the score they would’ve done that, so I’m taking the advice. Goodluck!! I know you’ll do great. About half their class also didn’t matriculate either so idk. It depends on the year

Status
Not open for further replies.