Meharry News? Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mrsmac said:
Hey fellow acceptance rangers,

Have any of you begun to look into housing prospects near Meharry or the surrounding area? Without a financial aid packet, it's going to be a little difficult to determine my rent, but I'd a least like to know the general areas where other students live. I'd heard about Murfreesboro, but it seems kind of far. (Can we say gas$$$). I figure I'd preoccupy myself with something while waiting to hear from them. Any help would be appreciated. This could be of use to all of us if we hear something in the next few weeks.

mrsmac

I want to look for places, but I'm out of town so it's difficult. Also the fact that I am on the acceptance range, I don't want to go there for nothing if it doesn't work out.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be a "party Pooper", but just wanted to kno if you all had Plan B's if the impossible happens and were not accpeted to Meharry or any other med school this cycle. I guess I can start with myself and say I will be attending UCSD post-bacc. Prob wont apply again until 2007, that way I know my chances of being accepted are at their highest. I guess the biggest struggle with this for me is being a doctor at 28 vs 30. Any words of encouragment?

P.s. Time to get nervous :smuggrin:....I believe we shall find out our fates soooooooooooooon.

futrorthodr said:
I hope I didnt offend anyone, but seriously even when I am just driving my car down there the prostitues have attempted to flag me down :oops: .

But yeah bellvue is a pretty good place to live there are also some apartments off of West end just outside of the city.

No offense taken, that's real life in most cities.

However, you must drive a pretty nice car! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Futrorthodr. Since you live in TN, you're the best person to ask...Is Franklin a reasonable drive to Meharry?

futrorthodr said:
Hey mrsmac,

I live in Nashville, and I am going to start looking around town for some decent apartments in a couple days. A few of my friends have houses a couple blocks from where the school is, and a few others rent apartments but there arent that many available in the very near vicinity. The area right around the school isnt the best in Nashvillhe either, but I am down there all the time with my friends that attend Meharry and my girlfriend so I am used to it by now. However if you like walking your dog at night I wouldnt recommend staying to close to some of the housing projects unless you dont mind being solicited for prostituition and drugs on a consistent basis :laugh:

Trident said:
i know what you mean, futrorthodr. we're totally getting jipped out of a summer. but i think usf starts at the end of may, so maybe we should consider ourselves lucky...and of course, as you mentioned, we get to begin this great journey and that's definitely something to look forward to.
as far as the apartment goes, one student i contacted said students live all over and we're pretty much on our own to find something (besides Meharry Towers) and so i'm just getting something in line now and hopefully loan/grant money will be coming shortly so that pesky tuition can get paid :confused:

Trident,

From your post it sounds like you will attend Meharry Medical College this fall but I noticed that your signature has VCU Med '09. Have you been accepted there as well? :confused:

Sincerely,
Blessed1

dr.z said:
I want to look for places, but I'm out of town so it's difficult. Also the fact that I am on the acceptance range, I don't want to go there for nothing if it doesn't work out.

I agree, I'm in OH, and it's a decent drive to Nashville from here. I guess I'm being optimistic. I didn't want to get accepted the end of this month and have no plan as to where to live/utilities/etc. That's why I'm thankful for the responses here.

mrsmac

Tabi04 said:
Hey Futrorthodr. Since you live in TN, you're the best person to ask...Is Franklin a reasonable drive to Meharry?

To respond to your question to Futrorthodr, I personally would not commute from Franklin. But if its your only option, than I guess it wouldn't be so terrible. I live in Bellevue, its only 10 miles from Meharry, and the traffic from the west part of town is usually not that bad. There is also the Rivergate area which is north of Meharry, if they ever get construction done on the north side, then that would be a great place to live and commute. I would say it is less expensive than Bellevue or Franklin. All I can say is good luck, there are plenty of places within 15 minutes of Meharry, rather than the 30 to 40 from Franklin.

I have to agree with NKCC1. I personally would not live out in Franklin, and I am planning on moving from that area for the sole purpose of living closer to Meharry. Depending on where in Franklin you live it could take 40 mins to get to Meharry with all rush hour traffic in the morning.

Has anyone that has already been accepted received any other information from Meharry regarding orientation, health documentation, or other matters related to starting school?

blessed1 said:
Trident,

From your post it sounds like you will attend Meharry Medical College this fall but I noticed that your signature has VCU Med '09. Have you been accepted there as well? :confused:

Sincerely,
Blessed1

yeah, sorry about any confusion. i was all set to go to meharry, but i got off the waitlist at my state school, vcu. i loved it @ vcu during the interview so i'm definitely going there. :love: plus, it's like 10K cheaper per year.
i just got the official word tonight, so i'll be relinquishing my spot at meharry tomorrow, which will hopefully help one of you guys out. good luck! :luck:

Trident said:
yeah, sorry about any confusion. i was all set to go to meharry, but i got off the waitlist at my state school, vcu. i loved it @ vcu during the interview so i'm definitely going there. :love: plus, it's like 10K cheaper per year.
i just got the official word tonight, so i'll be relinquishing my spot at meharry tomorrow, which will hopefully help one of you guys out. good luck! :luck:

Congrats Trident on VCU!! I am not in the running for the class of 2009, I was just curious about your acceptances. :oops:

I am gearing up for class of 2010.

Again, congrats and keep us posted on how things are going for you at VCU! :thumbup:

Sincerely,
Blessed1

Hi everyone, I'm just checking in to see how things are going. I'm waiting on Meharry as well. I felt a great connection with both Meharry and Nashville, as a whole. What a blessing it would be to go here for school :)

Trident, I'm so very happy for you :clap: Congratulations on your acceptance. Although, I must say that I am a little disappointed that you won't be attending Meharry. I've turned to you for advice about Meharry, and it would have been great to have met you :) Nevertheless, I'm excited that you got into the school of your choice :) .

thanks so much, docjolly and blessed1! :)

if anyone was awaiting an interview at howard, i'm canceling that tomorrow as well so maybe you'll get my spot. i think i would have chosen meharry over howard. meharry had a great atmosphere.

docjolly, i, too, am disappointed that i don't get to meet you. i feel like i already had some friends to join me in nashville. there's always residency :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Trident said:
thanks so much, docjolly and blessed1! :)

if anyone was awaiting an interview at howard, i'm canceling that tomorrow as well so maybe you'll get my spot. i think i would have chosen meharry over howard. meharry had a great atmosphere.

docjolly, i, too, am disappointed that i don't get to meet you. i feel like i already had some friends to join me in nashville. there's always residency :thumbup:

This is certainly true..Who, but God, knows what the future may hold? :D

I wish you all the best :love: :love: :love:

Any last words of advice for those of us who are still waiting would be wonderful.

i would just say remember that you'll get accepted to the school that you're meant to attend. and if you get into multiple schools, trust yourself to make the right decision.
i hope y'all get into meharry. just keep showing interest until the very end and believe that it will all work out the way it's supposed to. that's all we really can do in this crazy process, right? :luck:

Nope. I haven't heard a thing. When is it time to push the panic button?

mrsmac said:
Hey fellow acceptance rangers,

Have any of you begun to look into housing prospects near Meharry or the surrounding area? Without a financial aid packet, it's going to be a little difficult to determine my rent, but I'd a least like to know the general areas where other students live. I'd heard about Murfreesboro, but it seems kind of far. (Can we say gas$$$). I figure I'd preoccupy myself with something while waiting to hear from them. Any help would be appreciated. This could be of use to all of us if we hear something in the next few weeks.

mrsmac

hey mrsmac,

I, too, am on the acceptance range at Meharry, and have begun to think about the housing situation. I called Mrs. Davis last week, and she informed me that all incoming first years (MAPS students, regular first-years, etc), will begin school on June 20th :eek: :eek:

If I am accepted, I'm not even certain where I would begin to look for an apartment. I live here in NYC, and this has been my home for the past 7 years. Although I like Nashville, I don't know anything about the types of neighborhoods that surround Meharry. I'm not even certain when I'd have to leave NYC. To make matters even more...difficult...I don't own a car, and I don't drive. :scared: :scared:

If you (or anyone else, for that matter :D ) can give any help on good housing near the school, I'd be greatly appreciatively :)

I pray for God's abundant guidance and direction with this entire process. May He show me the way...

I spoke with Mr. Mosley last week. He told me that not only is the class currently full, but that just about all of the deposits have been received. He did not anticipate much more waitlist movement this year. Given that classes start in three weeks, I am not holding out much hope of getting off the waitlist there.

Fusion said:
I spoke with Mr. Mosley last week. He told me that not only is the class currently full, but that just about all of the deposits have been received. He did not anticipate much more waitlist movement this year. Given that classes start in three weeks, I am not holding out much hope of getting off the waitlist there.

Thanks for the info. I was giving up on acceptance since classes start in about 3 weeks.

dr.z said:
Thanks for the info. I was giving up on acceptance since classes start in about 3 weeks.

Don't completely count yourself out just yet. June is a very active month for waitlists in general, and Meharry typically has a lot of waitlist movement. Three weeks is still some time, so keep hope alive. Some of those currently accepted at Meharry may be on other waitlists and could choose to decline Meharry's offer if they get accepted to a school that they prefer more.

I'm assuming that June 20th is the mandatory summer program start date, right? So when does the actually first year classes begin? If the actual start date is in August, does that mean there is still a chance? Could those people who have been accepted attend Meharry in the summer and choose to go elsewhere if they got off another waitlist? Or is it that once you start Meharry on June 20th, you are a matriculated student? I am so confused.

eag said:
I'm assuming that June 20th is the mandatory summer program start date, right? So when does the actually first year classes begin? If the actual start date is in August, does that mean there is still a chance? Could those people who have been accepted attend Meharry in the summer and choose to go elsewhere if they got off another waitlist? Or is it that once you start Meharry on June 20th, you are a matriculated student? I am so confused.

From what I understand, the class is set as of June 20th and there will be no more acceptances offered after that. The summer session used to start in July and was optional. After realizing how much the summer program actually helps students, the school decided to move up the start date and make it mandatory for all students. Fall courses probably begin in August.

Why is it that NONE of us have heard anything!!!....I mean Ive been checking statuses on MDAPPLICANTS and once again.....NO MOVEMENT. I'm not upset..haha...but I am hoping to see someone pulled off the waitlist (post may 15th). Good luck and Gods blessing to all of ya. On the other meharry thread they said they only interviewed around 300 peeps this yr as opposed to 700 in the last. Is that exciting or scary?????

:smuggrin:

BeBlessedMD said:
Why is it that NONE of us have heard anything!!!....I mean Ive been checking statuses on MDAPPLICANTS and once again.....NO MOVEMENT. I'm not upset..haha...but I am hoping to see someone pulled off the waitlist (post may 15th). Good luck and Gods blessing to all of ya. On the other meharry thread they said they only interviewed around 300 peeps this yr as opposed to 700 in the last. Is that exciting or scary?????

:smuggrin:

God is awesome!! Well, guys. I got a call on Friday from Mr. Mosley offering me a spot in the class!!! It was a very quick conversation because he called me on my cell while I was in the middle of grocery shopping! He then told me to quickly contact financial aid and get ready to move, because my official letter would be in the mail this week! Man, I'm glad that I had some housing prospects researched. So, now I'm waiting to get my "real" letter, begin the process of hauling tail to get down there in the next two weeks. Everything is just one big blur now because I've got to quit my full time job like TOMORROW and high tail it. Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone. Good luck everyone.

mrsmac

And There ya GO!!.....HAHA :laugh: ...congrats...good luck to the rest of us. :thumbup:

mrsmac said:
God is awesome!! Well, guys. I got a call on Friday from Mr. Mosley offering me a spot in the class!!! It was a very quick conversation because he called me on my cell while I was in the middle of grocery shopping! He then told me to quickly contact financial aid and get ready to move, because my official letter would be in the mail this week! Man, I'm glad that I had some housing prospects researched. So, now I'm waiting to get my "real" letter, begin the process of hauling tail to get down there in the next two weeks. Everything is just one big blur now because I've got to quit my full time job like TOMORROW and high tail it. Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone. Good luck everyone.

mrsmac

Mrsmac, I'm so very happy for you! What a blessing from God :clap: :clap:

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

mrsmac said:

mrsmac

Congrats, mrsmac!!! That's awesome!!!! I am happy for you!!! :D

docjolly said:
I, too, am on the acceptance range at Meharry, and have begun to think about the housing situation. I called Mrs. Davis last week, and she informed me that all incoming first years (MAPS students, regular first-years, etc), will begin school on June 20th :eek: :eek:

If I am accepted, I'm not even certain where I would begin to look for an apartment. I live here in NYC, and this has been my home for the past 7 years. Although I like Nashville, I don't know anything about the types of neighborhoods that surround Meharry. I'm not even certain when I'd have to leave NYC. To make matters even more...difficult...I don't own a car, and I don't drive. :scared: :scared:

If you (or anyone else, for that matter :D ) can give any help on good housing near the school, I'd be greatly appreciatively :)

Hey man. I live in Nashville, and rest assured, there are plenty of apartments to be leased in and around the greater "meharry area". Im an undergrad, but two meharry med students leased the apartment right next to me last year. My personal advice would be stick around the vandy area, as it is a very cool place to live, with lots of, errr, distractions. there are thousands of apartments that are surely less expensive than your NYC abode. On the more expensive side is the village at vanderbilt (google it) but it is literally right across the street from VUMC (I think meharry students do alot of rotations here) and the VU Eskind Biomed Library (where alot of Meharry students study) and they are very clean, decently sized, and usually available no problemo. I would wait until you knew for sure and cruise around the area (meharry and vandy) because there are all sorts of neat, tucked away places that are more affordable.
Anyways, sorry to sound like a realtor, but good luck and if you have any q's feel free to contact me.
:luck:

I have been looking around the Vandy-Meharry area I just cant really seem to find anything that is reasoable priced to be able to fit into our probable loans. I am estimating about 7500 in living expenses for a semester, which I would think leaves at most 700 for rent.

futrorthodr said:
I have been looking around the Vandy-Meharry area I just cant really seem to find anything that is reasoable priced to be able to fit into our probable loans. I am estimating about 7500 in living expenses for a semester, which I would think leaves at most 700 for rent.

cruise the sidestreets off blakemore/natchez trace and you WILL find numerous single bedroom apts. for ~$500 per month no problem. Or find a roomate and live in a condo/townhouse for 600. Either way, these should be EXTREMELY easy to find. just stray away from brand names to save cheese(village @ vanderbilt, wesley place, 20 & Grand, Gardens @ Hillsboro, etc). Are you going to meharry next year?

Yes I will be starting at Meharry in June. From talking to some Meharry students I think I may check out towards Bellevue, seems like Grand Viewe and The Lexington would be good places to live. I also am really looking for a two bedroom apt, and make one room into a study, whether I can make that happen I think depends on the funds available.

Yeah those places you listed are way too expensive around 1k a month :eek:

Also isnt Blakemore the same as Wedgewood Ave just further North??

mrsmac said:

mrsmac

Praise God. I knew you would hear something!

futrorthodr said:
Yes I will be starting at Meharry in June. From talking to some Meharry students I think I may check out towards Bellevue, seems like Grand Viewe and The Lexington would be good places to live. I also am really looking for a two bedroom apt, and make one room into a study, whether I can make that happen I think depends on the funds available.

Yeah those places you listed are way too expensive around 1k a month :eek:

Also isnt Blakemore the same as Wedgewood Ave just further North??
when you cross 21st ave coming towards west end, wedgewood becomes blakemore.
If you find a 2 bedroom apt. for ~700 per month, please let me know. I was assuming you would have a roomate. Bellevue is a nice place, but pretty sizeable drive, not to mention the most consistantly terrible traffic routes in nashville (interstate or west end). there are lots of "over garage" type 1 bedroom places for ~500 per month, but around the immediate vandy/meharry area, dont expect to find a 2 bdrm place for too much less that 1k (total) per month.
anyways, good luck finding a place.

Yeah I found some good places today on 40 west off of Old Hickory about 8 miles from Meharry. They had some nice two bedrooms for around 700-800 but that may still be alittle high, and the one bedrooms werent but 30-50 dollars cheaper so I might as well get a two bedroom.

I also believe some other Meharry students live there.

hey did anyone else get an email stating they needed to fax in a letter stating if they were still interested in the medical school?? Let me know...thanx...Kinda had my heart set on UCSD pot-bacc.

I just called Mr. Mosley, and, it must be God, it must be my Savior watching over me. It must be. I was placed on hold for about 2-3 minutes, all the while my mind believing that they would tell me that nothing had changed. It must have been God, it must have been my blessed, beautiful Savior, Jesus Christ, watching over me...Because, when I spoke to Mr. Mosley, I was told...

I've been accepted :hardy: :clap: :hardy: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

:love: :love: :love: :love:

PRAISE GOD!!! PRAISE GOD!!! PRAISE GOD!!!! PRAISE GOD!!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

Oh, how my soul loves Jesus!!! When I wept, he dried my tears. When felt sorrow, he held me within my arms. When I felt fear, he gave me peace.

I can't believe it!!!! I truly can't believe it!!!

I'm going to be a doctor!!!!

congratulations, docjolly!!!!! :D :D :D

:thumbup: i'm so happy for you! :thumbup:

CONGRATULATIONS DOC JOLLY!!!!!

Now all you have to do is worry about getting your loans and immunizations :smuggrin:.

I guess I will see ya in a couple of weeks!! :thumbup:

hey there trident and futrorthodr, thank you for all of your support!!! I truly appreciate it. Both of you are blessings from God!

So, now that the acceptance is out of the way, I have to 1) fill out financial aid forms 2) pack up and leave NYC 3)quit my teaching job and 4) find somewhere to live in Nashville

Do either of you know of a nice place to leave near the Meharry area? Two weeks is little or no time, and I've got to find an apt. ASAP.

Thanks for all of your help!!
:)

Well I was considering staying in an apartment right by Meharry but that changed last night! I was at my friends house who is about to enter his third year at Meharry. He stays in a house less than a 5 minute walk from Meharry. So anyways he I and a bunch of other Meharrians were watching tv when his doorbell rings at about 11 pm. It was a girl who tells us that my back passenger window was smashed and she saw someone hop out the window. So anyways he basically ransacked my car and stole about 30 cds :mad:.

So I have now decided to live out closer to bellevue off of I-40 west. It is about 8 miles from Meharry and costs in the mid 700's for a 2 bedroom. The commute could take up to 30 minutes though depending on traffic especially when it is raining. :rolleyes:

Why give up Dr. Z?? You have just seen two people on this board get pulled off in the last week so there must be some waitlist movement. Dont give up hope yet. :thumbup:

Congrats to everyone going to Meharry! It's a GREAT school!!!

docjolly said:
I just called Mr. Mosley, and, it must be God, it must be my Savior watching over me. It must be. I was placed on hold for about 2-3 minutes, all the while my mind believing that they would tell me that nothing had changed. It must have been God, it must have been my blessed, beautiful Savior, Jesus Christ, watching over me...Because, when I spoke to Mr. Mosley, I was told...

I've been accepted :hardy: :clap: :hardy: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

:love: :love: :love: :love:

PRAISE GOD!!! PRAISE GOD!!! PRAISE GOD!!!! PRAISE GOD!!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

Oh, how my soul loves Jesus!!! When I wept, he dried my tears. When felt sorrow, he held me within my arms. When I felt fear, he gave me peace.

I can't believe it!!!! I truly can't believe it!!!

Girl, I've been reading your posts for a minute, and your faith never wavered. I am SO happy for you! You are blessed!