Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fahimaz7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember a thread being on here a few weeks ago about this school but, I can't find it. So, I started a new one to answer some questions.

I interviewed there today and had a fantastic time. Every single person that I met was enthusiastic and very insightful about their program. Also, my interviewers were very helpful at not only telling me about their program but, also for helping me get an idea of what kind of person they are looking for to practice medicine with a degree from their school.

I couldn't have had a better time.

Scott

Members don't see this ad.

Glad to hear it. I interviewed there in 2005 and thought they were very friendly.

I remember a thread being on here a few weeks ago about this school but, I can't find it. So, I started a new one to answer some questions.

I interviewed there today and had a fantastic time. Every single person that I met was enthusiastic and very insightful about their program. Also, my interviewers were very helpful at not only telling me about their program but, also for helping me get an idea of what kind of person they are looking for to practice medicine with a degree from their school.

Scott

I interview there in a couple of weeks and am really looking forward to seeing what their program is like, especially since it appears to be very different from most other schools. My sister goes to undergrad there and absolutely loves it and thinks that I would too. Do they really emphasize rural medicine as much as their website says they do? Anything on interview day that I should be ready for? Congrats on the interview fahimaz, and best of luck getting accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
They would like for people to stay in Georgia. But, as for rural practice, that's something that they cannot hold you to doing. As for the day of the interview, just be yourself and see if you fit into their style of pysician. I think you'll learn a lot about their program and be able to decide if it's the place you want to be over MCG or Emory.

Personally I didn't even apply to Emory b/c I knew that was not where I wanted to be.

They would like for people to stay in Georgia. But, as for rural practice, that's something that they cannot hold you to doing. As for the day of the interview, just be yourself and see if you fit into their style of pysician. I think you'll learn a lot about their program and be able to decide if it's the place you want to be over MCG or Emory.
Why would anyone choose Mercer over MCG or Emory? MCG is infinitely cheaper with pretty much better everything, and Mercer and Emory cost about the same. :confused: Emory is ushering in a new rockin' curriculum (it will be like Penn's and Baylor's...pretty good company). You'll have SOOOO many more opportunities at Emory. Plus they're building a new $60 million building that will be the best in the country with patient simulation rooms, state of the art auditoriums and small group rooms, brand new anatomy labs with laptops at every table....

Personally I didn't even apply to Emory b/c I knew that was not where I wanted to be.
Your loss, buddy. Awesome school. How much do you know about Emory? Or are you just basing this on what they say at MCG--"Emory is so competitive! Don't go there!"

Appreciate the advice, will definitely keep that in mind when I go there to interview. I liked MCG a lot, and am not really expecting to like Mercer more than MCG, but I am trying to keep an open mind... who knows, it might be the perfect place for me.

I didn't apply to Emory either for the same reason. I got in there for graduate school with a scholarship and turned them down because it's definitely not the place for me. I am interviewing at Mercer next Thursday. Hopefully I'll have the same experience you did!

Scott
Did they give you a match list or tell you where most of their grads match? I'm curious to see where their grads go.

Also, did they tell you an average board score?

They have good matches. They are above the national avg. on board scores.

Hey Milk, I know I don't want to go to Emory. Not only did I not go there but I turned down their graduate school offer and a job offer to do research at their primate center. As for there being so many more opportunities.... Each school can place in almost any residency. Know who you are and why and be comfortable with that. There's no reason to try and put down any other school b/c you don't think it's the best or the brightest. Just know that it's not for you and leave it at that... Lol

If I got offers from all the school that I applied to I would have a hard time deciding between them. I wouldn't just look up who ranks the highest and go there.

I am always curious why people hate Mercer? Med school is about where you feel comfortable to study for 4 years. I agree with you milkofamnesia that emory is going to have an awesome facility, but both MCG and Mercer have upgraded their facilities in past years as well. It does help that emory is just that endowed with so much money, but education wise, all do a great job. It really comes down to what style of learning and the environment you learn best in. I have many friends at both MCG and Emory and some like it, some hate it. Likewise, we have some people who were just not a big fan of pbl and didn't enjoy their time at mercer. This is a personal issue, not an issue about which is the better school. Your education comes down to the work you put into it.

As far as board scores are concerned, all three schools have very similar average board scores. Each year the three schools flip flop around to see who has the higher board scores, but all three are slightly above national average which speaks well for the GA schools in general. As far as our match list at mercer, many of our grads desire to stay in the south and only apply to the south, but at many of the major southern universities including emory, duke, unc, uab, etc... as the previous people have stated, our main desire is to train physicians to practice in the state of georgia. We honestly don't have many people go into family practice, or internal medicine. actually most of our students go into a surgical specialty, emergency medicine, anesthesia, radiology, or pediatrics. Those who want to go to big institutions have had no problems. Our last graduating class has students at all the big names you want including yale, hopkins, tufts, etc... its one's individual effort that gets you into a good residency. Our graduation class year has applied to all sorts of residencies and will most like get their choice. We have people applying ENT, ortho, opthomology, rad onc, derm, plastics just to name a few of the more competitive residencies if that is what you use to base a schools success.

So to all of you that are applying this cycle I urge you to just look for a school that fits you best. I promiss you that will the best advice you can get when trying to decide where to go. It works the same way for residency as well. PM me if you guys have specific questions about the Mercer program, or if you guys already have an interview I look foward to meeting you! Good luck with interviews people! Med school is definately worth it and y'all will have a great time!

As far as board scores are concerned, all three schools have very similar average board scores. Each year the three schools flip flop around to see who has the higher board scores, but all three are slightly above national average which speaks well for the GA schools in general.
I don't hate Mercer. Please don't take that from my post. Like I said earlier, I just don't see why someone would choose to attend Mercer over the other two schools simply based on the economics of the matter and the opportunities that Emory has to offer for about the same price.

As far as board scores, I just want to clear this up. Emory's are FAR above the national average. I highly doubt there is any "flip flopping" between them who is the top board scorer. Maybe that's what they tell you at Mercer (I've heard others who interview there say the same thing.) but it's just not true. Emory's average was a 235 last year. That's almost a standard deviation above the national average, not "slightly above" the national average of like a 217. I can understand MCG's being slightly above the national average or around the national average, but I know for a fact Emory's is not.

I don't hate Mercer. Please don't take that from my post. Like I said earlier, I just don't see why someone would choose to attend Mercer over the other two schools simply based on the economics of the matter and the opportunities that Emory has to offer for about the same price.

As far as board scores, I just want to clear this up. Emory's are FAR above the national average. I highly doubt there is any "flip flopping" between them who is the top board scorer. Maybe that's what they tell you at Mercer (I've heard others who interview there say the same thing.) but it's just not true. Emory's average was a 235 last year. That's almost a standard deviation above the national average, not "slightly above" the national average of like a 217. I can understand MCG's being slightly above the national average or around the national average, but I know for a fact Emory's is not.

Glad you put us in our place Milk.. Not that Nkow is at Mercer or anything and that you in fact do not know their board scores for the last few years as you stated earlier. Oh well, I'm done with it. You sound like you would fit in just fine at Emory. Best of luck to you.

I don't really want to get into the middle of this because at this point I do not really have a side as they all seem pretty great to me. However, I think it is important to remember that there is no one finite quality that adequately defines a medical school for each and every applicant. For instance, one of the most important factors to consider in my opinion is what the student body is like, and whether or not I could see myself fitting in well and enjoying myself there for 4 years. To me this holds more weight than virtually any other aspect. However, I realize that this is not the major determinant for every premed that is applying right now, as everyone is different and has different priorities.

In regard to the board scores among schools, I actually heard that Emory has slightly higher board scores, but I personally think that that might simply be due to the students that choose to attend Emory. The key word there is 'personally' because everybody is entitled to make their own conjectures. To explain, my theory is that since Emory typically has students that have higher MCAT scores, and like the MCAT, the board exams are still a form of standardized testing, Emory students will have a slight advantage before they even set foot in medical school. It has been proven that some people do consistently better on standardized tests than others, so why wouldn't that hold true for the boards? Therefore, doesn't it make sense that Emory would have the higher board scores, and that the education might not have as much impact on the scores as some would lead you to believe? Personally, I would be more than happy to attend any one of these schools because I know that they are all excellent institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad you put us in our place Milk.. Not that Nkow is at Mercer or anything and that you in fact do not know their board scores for the last few years as you stated earlier. Oh well, I'm done with it. You sound like you would fit in just fine at Emory. Best of luck to you.
Pardon me, but I don't appreciate the condescension in your post. I know BS when I see it. And that whole line about "Emory, MCG, and Mercer all have about the same average board score and the one with the top average changes every year" is utterly BS. I thought I made the fact's clear in my last post, but you apparently have a problem separating emotion and facts. Emory's average step 1 was a 235 last year. The average board score (nationwide) is a 217. So therefore, if Mercer's board score is "slightly above average" then it's what, about a 220 max. Right, Mercer and Emory are going to "flip flop" over who has the top board score. Try again. They're about 15 points apart. So hopefully you can now see how I don't need to know Mercer's average board score in order to deduce that it MUST be much lower than Emory's by virtue of the fact it is "around average" and Emory's is MUCH HIGHER than average.

Yeh Emory is far superior to all the other GA schools. Since the top score is 260 I guess I 230 is "far above" the average of 217. I mean b/c statistically Emory is well above the std. deviation I bet.

The only thing I thought was funny is that you don't know the Mercer or MCG scores and you're still carrying this on. I hope you find what you're looking for and get that always impressive high score.

On a side note, why are you so defensive of Emory? Everyone on this thread is saying go where you feel comfortable with and you'll be happy. And you just can't understand why people don't worship Emory?

The only reason I ever posted in the first place was to dispel the rumor that Emory, MCG, and Mercer have similar board scores--which is false. I thought I made it clear in my last post that simply by knowing that Mercer's board score is "slightly above national average" (since the national average is 217) that it can't be anywhere close to Emory's average score of 235. I can't fathom how you aren't understanding this for the third time, but whatever.

The highest score possible is a 300, but the highest score achieved last year was a 273, FWIW.

I think what someone is confused over is the statistics for first time pass rate on the boards. What flip flops from year to year is the first time pass rate. And there are several things to consider. First of all, size. MCG is the largest school in GA with 190 students this year. So it's no wonder they have a few who don't pass the boards at all on their first try. Their average, however, is above the national average (and probably Mercers) because they have many more bright students who make up for some of the lower ones.

Emory is similar. They have a few less than MCG (what is it, around 130?). But the stats of students accepted there are better than MCG or Mercer (as a whole). They may still have a couple who fail each year for whatever reason, but their scores are no doubt very high (as someone mentioned, a standard deviation above national average).

However, where Mercer shines is in taking applicants with 24s on the MCAT and getting an entire class of 60 people to pass the boards on the first try. In recent years, Mercer has had a 100% first time pass rate which is unmatched by other schools in Georgia (and that is a fact). I think they've slipped to having maybe one or two a year not pass it in the last couple of years, but overall the first time pass rate is very high.

I'm starting at Mercer in August, but I definately looked in to the stats. of the other GA schools. I don't know why people still insist on comparing medical schools like they compare undergrad. schools. In a way it really is comparing apples to oranges. We can't all be neurosurgeons and plastic surgeons. And the true deficiency is in primary care...hence schools like Mercer. Even MCG is retooling to accept more people interested in rural GA.

The bottom line is having a US M.D. degree will open up the door for you to any residency. All three schools have great match statistics. Just know why you want to go to a particular school and don't use certain schools as back ups. They see right through that...especially at Mercer. There, i've given you all fair warning.

I think what someone is confused over is the statistics for first time pass rate on the boards. What flip flops from year to year is the first time pass rate. And there are several things to consider. First of all, size. MCG is the largest school in GA with 190 students this year. So it's no wonder they have a few who don't pass the boards at all on their first try. Their average, however, is above the national average (and probably Mercers) because they have many more bright students who make up for some of the lower ones.

Emory is similar. They have a few less than MCG (what is it, around 130?). But the stats of students accepted there are better than MCG or Mercer (as a whole). They may still have a couple who fail each year for whatever reason, but their scores are no doubt very high (as someone mentioned, a standard deviation above national average).

However, where Mercer shines is in taking applicants with 24s on the MCAT and getting an entire class of 60 people to pass the boards on the first try. In recent years, Mercer has had a 100% first time pass rate which is unmatched by other schools in Georgia (and that is a fact). I think they've slipped to having maybe one or two a year not pass it in the last couple of years, but overall the first time pass rate is very high.

I'm starting at Mercer in August, but I definately looked in to the stats. of the other GA schools. I don't know why people still insist on comparing medical schools like they compare undergrad. schools. In a way it really is comparing apples to oranges. We can't all be neurosurgeons and plastic surgeons. And the true deficiency is in primary care...hence schools like Mercer. Even MCG is retooling to accept more people interested in rural GA.

The bottom line is having a US M.D. degree will open up the door for you to any residency. All three schools have great match statistics. Just know why you want to go to a particular school and don't use certain schools as back ups. They see right through that...especially at Mercer. There, i've given you all fair warning.

Well put GAdoc.

Emory is similar. They have a few less than MCG (what is it, around 130?).
Emory's class was 114 this year.

However, where Mercer shines is in taking applicants with 24s on the MCAT and getting an entire class of 60 people to pass the boards on the first try.
This is very respectable. :thumbup:

All three schools have great match statistics.
I would really really like to see Mercer's match list or at least give some examples of their matches. It's not anywhere online nor has it ever been posted on SDN. People always just say they "match great." That doesn't mean anything. Maybe "matching great" for them is matching IM at MCG. In almost every program's match list I've looked at (Duke, Emory, UNC, others in the South), I've never seen anyone from Mercer at any of these schools except MCG. I'm just really curious to see where they match. And that doesn't just mean "oh, Mercer grads have matched at blah blah blah in the past." I mean: "Someone matched [speciality] at xyz."

GADoc, can you post their match list or provide a link?

I will look into that for you. I know several doctors that are Mercer alumni and I will have to get the specifics, but I do know one is an orthopedic surgeon who matched at a school in Tennessee and one is ER who matched at a school in Florida. Again I will have to contact them for the specifics and will get back with you. I do know that when I was on the campus for an interview I met a student who matched at Dartmouth and several peds for MCG. I think the main reason you see a lot of Mercer grads staying in Georgia(matching at MCG) is because of the personal interests of the type of students Mercer attracts, doctors for Georgia.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :)

There's actually a guy on here who graduated from Mercer and is at Yale doing his residency in Emergency Medicine. I think his name is SouthernDoc. He's a very good resource about Mercer. Hope that helps!

Just found this while thread searching...

10-24-2004, 04:17 PM #6
Lonestar

Mercer is a good school. Dean is telling the truth. I am a Mercer grad, so I can say that yeah we had good scores (Avg 227 on Step 1 for class of 2004). If you do well on boards and clinical grades, you can go anywhere for anything (there are always exceptions). If you want competitive residencies such as Radiology, Ophthamology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Ortho pedic surgery, Urology, etc. you had better have execellent board scores and clinical grades. Currently doing Anesthesiology residency (with transitional intern year.)

Problem based learning will be the wave of the future. People will always need lectures, but majority of the teaching will be done in systems based approach. I know that MCG is gearing its education towards that more and more every year. As far as learning goes, you get out as much as you put in. I certainly worked very hard in medschool, so Mercer was ideal for me. Every system has its inherent problems, but PBL is ideal for study of medicine. BTW Mercer has one of the sweetest 4th year schedules that I know of. Trust me, after that 3rd year, the only thing you will be thinking about is gearing up for interviews and TIME OFF. Good luck on your future endeavors.

Here'st he link

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=157025&highlight=mercer

227 isn't bad.. that's for sure.

And here's from Southerndoc

southerndoc
life is good

SDN Moderator SDN Benefactor

My school (Mercer) had a 229 step I average the last I heard. That was with 3 or 4 student scores still unreported. Not sure what the average is now.

Nearly all the students I've spoken with have had scores above average. I'm only aware of one student who took the test and scored below average.

We had nobody to fail.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=69778&highlight=mercer

i will try to get some of the match lists from the past year. but off hand, just from last year's class, some of my friends matched as follows:

Basil Al-Awabdy - IM at UVA
Matt Astin - EM/Im at East Carolina
Jeff Butler - OB/GYN at UAB
Shane Cole: EM at Palmetto
Brad Rawlings: ENT at Eastern Virginia
Tracy Jobin: Anesthesia at Vanderbilt
Julie McElroy: Pediatrics at Vanderbilt
Phil Roman: Prelim at U or Maryland; Anesthesia at Johns Hopkins
Ana Rae Ong: IM at Yale
Robert Umberant: Orthopedics at Virginia Commonwealth
Nisha Patel: Psychiatry at Emory
Matt Certain: IM at Emory

...lots of the other students are in ga, fl, tenn, sc, and nc schools...but alas, i'm tired...just came back from an interview. but hope this helps a bit. Just remember that the residency you match at has more to do with your individual acomplisments than the school you attend. I have many friends both at emory and MCG, and overall, i am extremely proud of how GA schools represent in general across the board. Although MCG and Mercer students do traditionaly stay in the south, if they choose, they can go where they want. this is up to the individual's effort. Mercer is a small school of 60 in each class, so we may not have as broad or as impressive of a match list as Emory or MCG, but I am very proud of our students and the achievements that they have accomplished. Good luck to all of you in this interview season!

hey fellow georgian SDNers,

anyone interviewing at mercer this thursday? i'm gonna be there and it would be nice to meet some of you!

- john

I have an interview Dec. 5th.
Anyone have the stats on interviewees -> acceptances
I'm guessing its a 6 to 1 chance...
How long till acceptance/rejection after interviews?

Well, they meet twice in Nov and once in December to let people in.. Then they meet weekly starting in January. From the sound of things, they interview twice a week (8x's this year and then through March starting in January). So, if they have to let in roughly 100 people to fill their 60 spots the chances are quite good. I'm guessing 50% or so.

BTW, here's the hospitals that the 2006 class matched with...

Baptist Health System
University of Alabama-Birmingham
U. Alabama School of Med.-Tuscaloosa
St. Vincent's Medical Center
University of Florida - Shands
Atlanta Medical Center
Emory University
Floyd Medical Center
Medical Center of Central GA
Memorial Health University Med. Center
Mercer University School of Medicine
John's Hopkins
Pitt County
Wake Forest
Greenville Hospital
Medical University of South Carolina
Palmetto Health
Spartanburg Regional Care
Trident Medical Center
Baptist Memorial
East Tennessee State
University of Tennessee-MemphisU niversity of Tennessee-Chattanooga
Vanderbilt University
Eastern VA Medical School
University of Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth

Good luck in your interview. I really enjoyed the school and am looking forward to hearing back from them. Maybe Wed? Woohoo!

Do you what the programs are for each of the hospitals?

Yup..

Baptist Health System Alabama 2 Internal Medicine
University of Alabama-Birmingham Alabama 1 Anesthesiology
Alabama 1 Ob/Gyn
Alabama 2 Pediatrics
U. Alabama School of Med.-Tuscaloosa Alabama 1 Internal Medicine
Alabama 1 Family Medicine

St. Vincent's Medical Center Connecticutt 1 Radiology

University of Florida - Shands Florida 1 Psychiatry
Florida 1 Surgery

Atlanta Medical Center Georgia 1 General Surgery
Emory University Georgia 2 Internal Medicine
Georgia 1 Radiology
Georgia 1 Psychiatry
Floyd Medical Center Georgia 2 Family Practice
Medical Center of Central GA Georgia 3 General Surgery
Georgia 4 Pediatrics
Georgia 1 Ob/Gyn
Memorial Health University Med. Center Georgia 1 Ob/Gyn
Georgia 1 Internal Medicine
Mercer University School of Medicine Georgia 3 General Surgery
Georgia 4 Pediatrics
Georgia 1 Ob/Gyn

John's Hopkins Maryland 1 Anesthesiology

Pitt County North Carolina 1 Emergency Med.
Wake Forest North Carolina 1 Internal Medicine

Greenville Hospital South Carolina 3 Internal Medicine
South Carolina 2 Pediatrics
Medical University of South Carolina South Carolina 1 Radiology
Palmetto Health South Carolina 1 Ob/Gyn
South Carolina 1 Emergency Med.
Spartanburg Regional Care South Carolina 1 Family Medicine
Trident Medical Center South Carolina 1 Transitional-MUSC

Baptist Memorial Tennessee 1 Radiology-Diagnostic
East Tennessee State Tennessee 1 Surgery
University of Tennessee-Memphis Tennessee 1 Ob/Gyn
Tennessee 1 Medicine-Preliminary
Tennessee 1 General Surgery
University of Tennessee-Chattanooga Tennessee 3 Surgery-Preliminary
Tennessee 1 Pediatrics
Vanderbilt University Tennessee 1 Anesthesiology
Tennessee 1 Pediatrics

Eastern VA Medical School Virginia 1 Pediatrics
Virginia 1 Otolarnyngology
University of Virginia Virginia 1 Internal Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth Virginia 1 Orthopaedic Surgery

hey fellow georgian SDNers,

anyone interviewing at mercer this thursday? i'm gonna be there and it would be nice to meet some of you!

- john

Yeah, I'll actually be there this Thursday. That's awesome that someone else on here is going to be there the same day that I am. I'll be the tall one.

-matt

Well, they meet twice in Nov and once in December to let people in.. Then they meet weekly starting in January. From the sound of things, they interview twice a week (8x's this year and then through March starting in January). So, if they have to let in roughly 100 people to fill their 60 spots the chances are quite good. I'm guessing 50% or so.

2005-2006 MSAR
628 Applied to Mercer
237 Interviewed
23 EDP
60 Marticulated

60-23 = 37 Seats
Assuming that atleast 50 people were interviewed for EDP
237-50 = 187 Regular Interviews
37/187 = 20%

So 20% of Interviewed Applicants are Marticulated...
I'm guessing there is also an advantage for being interviewed before Jan - March.
Might boost our chances to 25%... haha...

That's 37 matriculated not 37 accepted. Most medical school accept more than they actually have spaces. For example, MCG accepts around 265 (from what the advisor at UGA said) for their 180 seats.

So, if there's 187 interviewed in regular admissions and there's 37 seats available... There's prob. somewhere around 80 admissions granted between November and August the following year to fill up the class.

:)

:laugh: Actually MCG now has 190 seats this year.

Way more. Top 10 med schools have more than 90 people turn down their offer of admission.

There's a book out that has all of this info in it. Maybe even MSAR has it.

Actually, according to Dr. Inniss, Mercer has the highest mean average board scores this year for step one. They are higher than Morehouse, Emory and MCG. They are way above the national average, and have been scoring above the national average for quite a few years now.

Actually, according to Dr. Inniss, Mercer has the highest mean average board scores this year for step one. They are higher than Morehouse, Emory and MCG. They are way above the national average, and have been scoring above the national average for quite a few years now.
I'm sorry, but they're lying to you. Mercer's scores are below Emory's. That's just a fact. In a different thread, a Mercer alum said that their average was in the 220s. Emory's last year was 235.

I'm sorry, but they're lying to you. Mercer's scores are below Emory's. That's just a fact. In a different thread, a Mercer alum said that their average was in the 220s. Emory's last year was 235.

Hmmm, interesting....

This also came from someone else from another Georgia med school as well. Specifically that Mercer had a higher score (average) this year. Everyone had not taken Step 1's yet.

I am talking about this year, not last year. What is Emory's average this year?

I have not heard anyone contest the mean scores this year, especially when I personally inquired this with someone on Emory's adcom.

I meant that the 235 was for this year. By "last year" I was really referring to the last class to take the exam. Sorry for the ambiguity.

This is an interesting issue. I think it's also interesting that other schools comment on how their average step I compares to other schools' scores because it's not like the average scores are published where other schools can look at them. Also, when I interviewed at Emory, they did not talk about how theirs compared to Mercer's or MCG's.

I meant that the 235 was for this year. By "last year" I was really referring to the last class to take the exam. Sorry for the ambiguity.

This is an interesting issue. I think it's also interesting that other schools comment on how their average step I compares to other schools' scores because it's not like the average scores are published where other schools can look at them. Also, when I interviewed at Emory, they did not talk about how theirs compared to Mercer's or MCG's.

I agree this is interesting. A lot of things are shared between medical schools that are not published. I wonder then how does Mercer know that they have higher board scores this year?

As for Emory, I went their for undergrad and am very familiar with many adcom people who recruit persons for their medical school. When I asked someone I knew for many years about the board scores, the word was that Mercer had a higher mean score to that date. Again, all students hadn't taken Step 1 at the time. Of course, this may have been shared in confidence. I did not hear any mention that anyone else had a higher mean board score at that time.

Although they did tell interviewees about Mercer having higher board scores when I interviewed, I don't forsee the adcom lying about their mean scores to ALL of those interviewees. Since "we" are so anal that we would check around.

This warrants further investigation...

Those scores that I put on here were a few years old. Anywho, I'm done with Milk.. He won't accept anything about MCG or Mercer being better in any of the USMLE steps.

Wow, you guys are hilarious. Fahimaz, the reason I wouldn't accept anything about MCG and Mercer having higher board scores is because it's simply not true. I hate to be the first one to break it to you, but just because someone in a suit and tie tells you something doesn't make it fact, so just because Mercer tells you that they have a higher step I than Emory doesn't make that artificial world they're living in a reality. It's just a fact that ~220 < 235.

dgriss1 said:
DO programs are no second place. The averages may be lower but I bet you the EC's and life experiences are double. Screw you little 20 yr punks with 38 mcats that think you are the ****. Get some life experiences under your belt-then we will talk.
dgriss1, I remember you well. The hippee skier from Colby. How could I forget?

I have no problem with people going where they are going to be happy. I think you would have a difficult time finding ANYTHING that I've EVER said bad about someone doing this. Please, find it for me. If you look back in this thread for example, the ONLY thing I've ever disputed is the fact that some people claim that Mercer has higher boards than Emory, which is false. I guess you guys have a little more estrogen than most men and interpret this as a personal attack on the school and get emotional about it. I have never once said Mercer is a bad school.

dgriss, please, I'm sure you can do better than that and find a way to insert more name-calling in your posts. It lends so much credence to what you have to say.

Emory, MCG, Mercer...
What's all this fuzz about the scores and the validity in each post...
What difference does it make if some one is from Harvard, Emory, MCG, Mercer etc.. It's what u get out of the school....
If your smart your smart, if your stupid your stupid regardless of your institution and its avg scores...

I suggest a solution to end this problem...
Milk, go ahead and attend Emory...
We will attend the other schools whether it being Mercer, Morehouse of MCG... Lets compare what "WE" get on the USMLE.. (That is if I get into one.. haha :D )
Loser deposits money via paypal accounts... haha
Plus yea some people may be scoring higher at Emory but you sure can't beat the low tuition at MCG (Try to refute that as an instate applicant)

Wow, you guys are hilarious. Fahimaz, the reason I wouldn't accept anything about MCG and Mercer having higher board scores is because it's simply not true..

Man, I hope that before you get out with your MD you learn tolerance, respect, and become more humble toward other people. There have been so many times in this post that you have stated to know that MCG and Mercer do not meet or exceed the board scores that Emory has and that for Mercer, there is no way there scores are over 220 (based on some wack interpretation of being over the average).

Anyways, it's been shown on here twice that they in fact have scores over 220 and in particular....scored 227 ad 229 on avg with high scores of 260+. Just admit that you might have messed up on this one and spoken a little too soon?

There isn't anyone that has posted on here that knows what the average Step I scores were for Mercer last year. Find those, and then diss the other schools if you want to. But, don't sit there on your high pedistal and speculate what you in fact don't know.

The only problem that I have with you is that you come across as being rude, arrogent, and just overall belittling to anyone that doesn't follow your steps in this process. People that apply to medical school do so for several distinct reasons. Some want the highest ranked school, some want family practice, and some just want to be doctors. Posting stuff on here that degrades the value of any medical education at any medical school in the US is rediculous. These are going to be your collegues, bosses, and patients.

So do us all a favor and just learn to be tolerent. What are you proving by being such a "know it all" about these schools? Just relax, become humble, and be a good doctor.

Ps. When I say "good" I don't just mean technically. I mean be someone that their patients like and is approachable. Don't be the egotistical doctor that some people have to visit and hate.

Fahimaz, I really don't know what to tell you. You really seem to lack the ability to understand my posts, interpret them as insults, and attach an emotional element to them all that was not at all the original intention of any of my posts. I just had to call BS on the fact that Mercer's average (from any of the known years...I find it highly improbable their average jumped 10 points) was the highest in the state. That's it. You assumed and twisted the meaning of my words to make it sound like I was saying something bad about Mercer, when in fact I wasn't. It's like if someone posted that Emory's score was higher than WashU's. (It's not.) If someone else corrected them and pointed out that in fact, WashU's was higher, I would not take this to be an insult, but when the same thing happens to you for Mercer, you call me rude, arrogant, and belittling. I have said nothing that degrades the value of any medical school. If you think that merely pointing out a falsehood is degrading, I'm really at a loss. There's nothing left for me to say.

Please do not lecture me on humility or on being a good doctor. You know nothing about me and wouldn't know me from Adam on the street. You call me rude and arrogant, but you're the only here throwing insults around.

I think what everyone is getting at is that it is perfectly possible (and from the sounds of it, already done) that Mercer would have a higher board average than the other Georgia schools. Something that they are doing is working. They take students with lower MCAT averages and have them do very well on the USMLE. I think where people get upset is when they assume that just because Emory is a more "prestigious" medical school that they will automatically trump all other GA schools. Without hard numbers that is just an assumption (just like Mercer supposedly "lying" about their board averages). I have known people who attended Mercer and received 250 on the Step Exams (one guy on here actually scored a 250 and only scored a 23 and 26 on the MCAT). They both received top residency spots as well.

Emory is a great school just like Mercer, MCG, etc. Their having a higher MCAT average doesn't mean a lot, and certainly doesn't automatically lead to the conclusion that they are the "best." It's ironic that Emory is actually changing their curriculum to be more in line with PBL (something Mercer has been doing since the beginning). MCG has adopted more PBL as well. Do you think that this could be the result of them seeing how well Mercer is doing?? Even if Mercer did not have higher board scores, the fact that they can take someone that MCG or Emory would consider unworthy (low MCAT) and make them have an above average score on the Step Exams is amazing. Obviously they are a force to be reckoned with in the medical school world.

Hey Dgriss,

How's the mtn's treating you? We were in Breck this past weekend having a jolly good time. Are you still in CO?

Yeah man,

When I am not getting agro online I am working in Nederland (like today) at a community health center. I am going backcountry in the Indian peaks tomorrow and I might hit breck on wed. Maybe we should grab a run sometime...
dave

Sounds like a plan man. My lady has a place in Breck and we both have the 5 mtn so we are always up there if we are free from school.

Scott

Has anyone heard anything from Mercer?