MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AHHHH also in at Cornell!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi...i gave my interview in december and still nothing... biting my nails now...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
School: University of Michigan
Cumulative/Major GPA: 3.51/3.64
GRE: 163V/160Q/4.0AW
Major: Biomolecular Science
Experience: Campus job for over 1.5 years, 3 leadership positions for a volunteering club

Special Factors: First-generation, low-income, senior in undergrad

Applied: BU (12/22), Columbia (12/24), Emory (12/22), GWU (12/15), Iowa (12/22), JHU (12/22), Pitt, SLU, UCLA (12/22), UM (12/15), UMN (12/23), Yale (12/22)
Interview: Iowa (1/12), UM
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Got an email invitation for an on-site interview at Minnesota. Also got an email from Columbia about scheduling an informal phone interview next week.

Reactions: 1 user
In at Cornell with Scholarship!

Also got an email from JHU to set up a Skype interview for next week!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi...i gave my interview in december and still nothing... biting my nails now...

It would be worth emailing the Sloan team, I did and just asked if a decision had been made and they were happy to let me know the status of my application.

It would be worth emailing the Sloan team, I did and just asked if a decision had been made and they were happy to let me know the status of my application.
Thank you...will do the same...

Did they send an official acceptance mail or just the status of the decision they made?

Did they send an official acceptance mail or just the status of the decision they made?

In response to my question, they simply verified that a decision had been made and official notifications were coming within the week.

They sent an email with an official letter PDF attached

Members don't see this ad :)
In response to my question, they simply verified that a decision had been made and official notifications were coming within the week.
Thanks for the info... it does bring me some relief on hearing this...

Just got invited to interview with UNC! A couple months ago they declined to make a decision on my application so this was really unexpected!

Reactions: 1 users
This might sound like a stupid question, but any tips on how to respectfully decline interviews? Especially if we've already agreed on a date and time? I accepted my offer to Cornell, and the only other school that would make me reconsider is Columbia, which I won't hear back from for another month or so. I've got GWU and Minn interviews lined up, but truthfully, I've "checked out"

This might sound like a stupid question, but any tips on how to respectfully decline interviews? Especially if we've already agreed on a date and time? I accepted my offer to Cornell, and the only other school that would make me reconsider is Columbia, which I won't hear back from for another month or so. I've got GWU and Minn interviews lined up, but truthfully, I've "checked out"

Never mind. It was easy and they were understanding about it.

Reactions: 1 users

I'll probably be making a Sloan C/O 2020 FB group soon so be on the look out!

School: Texas A&M University - College Station
Cumulative/Major GPA: 3.72/3.64
GRE: 148V/151Q/3.5AW .... (I am terrible at standardized exams)
Major: Business Administration with minors in Public Health and Communications
Experience: Administrative internship at a nursing home for over one year, 2 years of leadership experience through school organizations, involved in 5 organizations over the past 4 years, good LORs, I've always had a job so I have a lot of work experience in general, and I have been on the Deans List a few times.

Special Factors: First-generation college student & I am currently a senior in undergrad.
I only wanted to go to school in Texas, Trinity was my top pick so once I got accepted I decided not apply anywhere else ... :rolleyes:
Applied: Trinity (11/03)
Interview: Trinity (12/18)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Trinity (12/22)
Attending: Trinity

Has anyone heard back from JHU MHA or Yale's HCM? Those are the last two schools I haven't heard from!

Was anyone expected to know information about the history of the college during their interview? My Tulane interview was yesterday and it was just a weird vibe I got. I don't think it went well and was really short.

Thats awesome man. Do you have a top choice as of now?
My goal is to become a hospital exec within 5 years of graduation and I think VCU and UAB offer the best programs to do that. The administrative residency requirement is also big to me since I don't have healthcare experience yet.

I would attend any of these schools though and it could all change when financial aid rolls in haha

My goal is to become a hospital exec within 5 years of graduation and I think VCU and UAB offer the best programs to do that. The administrative residency requirement is also big to me since I don't have healthcare experience yet.

I would attend any of these schools though and it could all change when financial aid rolls in haha

We have essentially the same goal too. It was tough for me to turn down VCU for that reason, I just couldn't justify paying an extra year of tuition for a fellowship that I could just do after graduating from a 2 year program. Good luck with the rest of your interviews!

Hey I was in the first interview group in December, just wondering what you thought of Iowa. Hope the interviews went well.

I talked to my Uber drivers, and they said the Iowa campus is pretty similar to Michigan's campus since they're both Big Ten and academically strong. Iowa is definitely less diverse than what I'm used to though, especially the MHA department, so I'm kind of iffy on that. Everybody that I met during the interview was super nice though. The building looks nice, but I really wish I had more time to explore the rest of campus, but I had to catch my flight. I'm not sure how I feel about the small cohort size since I come from such a large university, and I'm also super picky about my friends. However, the possibility of receiving a GA position is very enticing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I talked to my Uber drivers, and they said the Iowa campus is pretty similar to Michigan's campus since they're both Big Ten and academically strong. Iowa is definitely less diverse than what I'm used to though, especially the MHA department, so I'm kind of iffy on that. Everybody that I met during the interview was super nice though. The building looks nice, but I really wish I had more time to explore the rest of campus, but I had to catch my flight. I'm not sure how I feel about the small cohort size since I come from such a large university, and I'm also super picky about my friends. However, the possibility of receiving a GA position is very enticing.

I LOVE the start of your reply. +1 for all the great Uber drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have essentially the same goal too. It was tough for me to turn down VCU for that reason, I just couldn't justify paying an extra year of tuition for a fellowship that I could just do after graduating from a 2 year program. Good luck with the rest of your interviews!
I also think it's silly to have to pay some tuition during the residency year, but for me the big difference is that the residency is guaranteed whereas only 20% are accepted into fellowships. I'm just playing it safe I guess :D

School: Dental School in India
GPA: Cumulative and Major : 3.5
GRE: 325 (Q-164,V-161,AWA-4)
Major: Dentistry
Experience (professional or otherwise): 1 year internship at a dental hospital and currently working at an internationally accredited hospital since Nov 2017
Special Factors:
Scientific Secretary of my institution for 1 year.
Management internship for 4 months
Volunteering with two NGOs from the past year working with children.
Organising and conducting various dental camps for underprivileged populations in and around the city I live in
Publication of a research paper in an international dental journal
Various papers presented and national and state conferences and active participant in extracurriculars.

Applied: JHU, BU( MPH in HM), Emory( MPH in HMP), UMinn, UMich, UIC, UW (12/14), Pitt (12/31) ( Rest are MHA)
Interview:UMich (1/17), UIC(1/31), Pitt(2/14)
Waitlist: UW
Rejected:
Accepted: BU (+15k), Emory, UMich, UIC
Attending:

Last edited:
For anyone that already got an acceptance or felt that they did really well on their interview, how did you make sure that the person interviewing you had a clear picture of what motivated you to pusure this degree and what you plan to use your degree for?

*Hey everyone, its been really cool "getting to know" you all through this interview process. I created an anonymous, 8 question survey to get information about us and our ambitions in healthcare administration. It would be cool to start creating professional networks in healthcare now! Everyone should take the survey, even if you haven't posted your info on this thread (lurkers).

This is the link:
MHA Student Doctor Fall 2018 Survey

Reactions: 2 users
*Hey everyone, its been really cool "getting to know" you all through this interview process. I created an anonymous, 8 question survey to get information about us and our ambitions in healthcare administration. It would be cool to start creating professional networks in healthcare now! Everyone should take the survey, even if you haven't posted your info on this thread (lurkers).

This is the link:

I love this idea!

For anyone that already got an acceptance or felt that they did really well on their interview, how did you make sure that the person interviewing you had a clear picture of what motivated you to pusure this degree and what you plan to use your degree for?
To be honest, I felt like I gave the same answer to two schools I've interviewed with and one school loved it and the other one didn't. I don't really have a singular moment where I had this "aha" realization that I needed to be a healthcare administrator and one program didn't really seem to like that. So its kinda hard to say how to navigate imo.

I have just been upfront about my ambitions within healthcare (I want to be a hospital CEO) and its easy to draw a clear line from MHA to that profession. If your plans are less rigid, it could be a struggle to define that to an admissions committee

This is the link:

Great idea

I love this idea!

Thanks! I think it would be good to tabulate the results and post them on the front page for future years that are applying for MHAs also.

I'll probably be making a Sloan C/O 2020 FB group soon so be on the look out!

How long after accepting the Cornell offer did they follow up with the next steps? I accepted my offer on Thursday and haven’t heard from them since they sent me the offer (same day).

How long after accepting the Cornell offer did they follow up with the next steps? I accepted my offer on Thursday and haven’t heard from them since they sent me the offer (same day).

You’ll most likely be hearing from current students and alumni to welcome you and serve as a resource for you soon. Your next step is to find housing if you haven’t yet.

If you have any questions though, email Julie and she always gets back pretty quickly. I don’t think we’ll hear anything from the program until after the deadline and they have their entire cohort.

You’ll also get your NetId in April.

You’ll most likely be hearing from current students and alumni to welcome you and serve as a resource for you soon. Your next step is to find housing if you haven’t yet.

If you have any questions though, email Julie and she always gets back pretty quickly. I don’t think we’ll hear anything from the program until after the deadline and they have their entire cohort.

You’ll also get your NetId in April.

Perfect, thanks! Another question, do you ever think about living in Ithaca and how do you feel about the idea of it? The school and the program are amazing and everything I want out of my Master’s. But I’d be lying if I said the idea of living in Ithaca didn’t bore the hell out of me and make me think if 2 years there will feel quick or long

Perfect, thanks! Another question, do you ever think about living in Ithaca and how do you feel about the idea of it? The school and the program are amazing and everything I want out of my Master’s. But I’d be lying if I said the idea of living in Ithaca didn’t bore the hell out of me and make me think if 2 years there will feel quick or long

I'll PM you!

To be honest, I felt like I gave the same answer to two schools I've interviewed with and one school loved it and the other one didn't. I don't really have a singular moment where I had this "aha" realization that I needed to be a healthcare administrator and one program didn't really seem to like that. So its kinda hard to say how to navigate imo.

I have just been upfront about my ambitions within healthcare (I want to be a hospital CEO) and its easy to draw a clear line from MHA to that profession. If your plans are less rigid, it could be a struggle to define that to an admissions committee

Thank you! I was worried since Tulane didn't seem to like my answers and where I see myself in the future. I want to work with Health Advocacy organizations, but specifically dealing with managing their finances, promoting collaborations with other organizations and countries.

Thank you! I was worried since Tulane didn't seem to like my answers and where I see myself in the future. I want to work with Health Advocacy organizations, but specifically dealing with managing their finances, promoting collaborations with other organizations and countries.
It definitely can be hard to make a AdCom see the vision behind your ambitions, but if you feel like you describe it clearly and they still don't like it, you probably can know that their program/curriculum wouldn't fit your goals anyway.

It definitely can be hard to make a AdCom see the vision behind your ambitions, but if you feel like you describe it clearly and they still don't like it, you probably can know that their program/curriculum wouldn't fit your goals anyway.

That's how I figured Tulane wasn't right for me and their site says they also prepare students to work with management abroad yet my interviewer made it clear they don't, that helped. I'm hoping UMin and Cornell see my vision when I have my interviews this week.

That's how I figured Tulane wasn't right for me and their site says they also prepare students to work with management abroad yet my interviewer made it clear they don't, that helped. I'm hoping UMin and Cornell see my vision when I have my interviews this week.
Good luck!!

Did anyone have an interview with UMin already? If yes, how was it?