michigan residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trainer911

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes to get residency in michigan. I would like to attend MSUCOM but they only accept 10% of incoming students from out of state. SO I have considered moving to michigan for a year or two to get residency. Thanks for your help.:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

hi...

i'm from michigan...here's what i think...and what my coworkers say. you need to have lived in michigan (have a michigan address) for one year. it helps to get a michigan driver's license and things like that (work address, etci) as quickly as possible. get here soon!!! i've been accepted to the graduating class of msucom 2007. i can't wait to start!! where are you from now? what draws you to msucom?

let me know if you have any more questions.

hope that helps.

thanks,

Thats what I was hoping for. I am considering attending MSU for grad school in athletic training. It is a two year program, so I could establish residency apply for the DO school. I want to pursue a carrer in sports medicene, and I know that I could probably get some good exposure at MSUCOM, because I have five years experience as a student Atheletic trainer. I am from Idaho, but currently attending school in Utah. Have you heard postivie things about MSUCOM? Congrats on getting accepted. Have a great Day:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Also important is to check with MSUCOM concerning resident classification. Being classified as MI resident for tuitiou purpose could be different from other legal purposes. When I first immigrated to this country, I chose MI as my permanant resident state, went to a community college and had never left the state. I applied for a transfer to University of Michigan (undergrad) and was denied domestic student status. At that time, I was living in Michigan continuous for more than 4 years! Subsequently, I withdrew my transfer, worked and paid MI state taxes, etc....and reapplied and finally got the in-state classfication.

However, I heard that MSU is more relaxed on the classification. My brother was in the same situation as I had, immigrated, went to community college and transferred to MSU...he had no problem getting the in-state classification. But since each school has its own ultimate say in classification for tuition purpose, it is best to check with the school.

Corina

This is a concern of mine too. I've heard that once you get in you aren't allowed to change your residency? My girlfriend is from Michigan, so contingent we got married like the first or second year of medical school could we claim Michigan for residency?
-Eric