Michigan State University c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My pre-reqs will not be complete until after this upcoming winter semester. Not sure if that had any bearing on my application. It is possible for me to continue working towards a bachelors, however since I took the majority of my pre reqs at a community college, I’m not on a set path towards a degree and It would most likely take me an additional two years to complete, which is not in my opinion, ideal.
You really shouldn't rush it. Take your time, get your bachelors, and get more experience. I am four years post-grad and applying for my first time. I think they rather see you methodically wait rather than try to rush into school. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw on your WAMC post that you only had about 20 hours of large animal experience - so maybe that contributed to it? If I remember correctly, Michigan State really values a variety of large animal experiences. Any idea how your letters & essays were? I agree, your academic & small animal stats are excellent.
I talked to a friend today who was offered an interview and she said she only had 10 hours of large animal on her application, so ‍♀️. She also hasn’t completed her bachelors yet and won’t for another year. Really curious to know what it was that didn’t allow me to get an interview.

I talked to a friend today who was offered an interview and she said she only had 10 hours of large animal on her application, so ‍♀. She also hasn’t completed her bachelors yet and won’t for another year. Really curious to know what it was that didn’t allow me to get an interview.
Did you read your LOR? Maybe one was weak/generic or there was a red flag?

MSU is also looking for unique candidates so maybe you didn't set yourself apart or sell yourself well on essays?

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to a friend today who was offered an interview and she said she only had 10 hours of large animal on her application, so ‍♀. She also hasn’t completed her bachelors yet and won’t for another year. Really curious to know what it was that didn’t allow me to get an interview.
MSU is really interested in unique, long term, and valuable experiences. They want your eLORs to support those important experiences. They want your essays to support them and to show what you learned or what you took from them. And lastly they want to see growth in those experiences through gaining more and more responsibility.
There are a crazy amount of factors that go into selecting applicants so no one thing is guaranteed to help or hurt you. The only people who really know why is going to be the admissions team, so highly recommend a file review/denied applicants meeting.

Reactions: 1 users

She might have had a lot of other experience too -- animal research on campus, shelter volunteer hours, zoo internships, maybe various on campus leadership experiences or volunteer/service hours. It is a pretty mixed bag when looking at vet school applicants. A girl who was accepted into OSU and MSU from my school had no large animal experience but did SO MUCH on our campus that showed she was unique and a leader (Greek life, honor societies, research, hands on vet experience, volunteering). Maybe just email them and ask? I dont think it would hurt.

I took a look at your WAMC, I think MSU has a minimum 3.0 cumGPA, so if that hadn't changed since your post, that could be why.

Attachments

• CF7CD484-D966-4A91-A104-F5AB5A98E042.jpeg
    CF7CD484-D966-4A91-A104-F5AB5A98E042.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 108
Still no word on OOS applicants right? Getting a bit anxious as the end of November nears us lol

Still no word on OOS applicants right? Getting a bit anxious as the end of November nears us lol
Last year the first wave of interview invites came out December 10th and the year before December 4th, so I wouldn't expect anything until early-mid December.

Reactions: 3 users
Last year the first wave of interview invites came out December 10th and the year before December 4th, so I wouldn't expect anything until early-mid December.
Last year we received an courtesy email at the beginning of November just to let us know that things were movin’ a bit slower than usual. Just wanted to double check that I’m not competent blind haha thank you!

Last year we received an courtesy email at the beginning of November just to let us know that things were movin’ a bit slower than usual. Just wanted to double check that I’m not competent blind haha thank you!

Yea I have been waiting for that email. Hopefully that means there wasn’t a huge increase in applicants?
I am tempted to email them but don’t want to be annoying haha

Yea I have been waiting for that email. Hopefully that means there wasn’t a huge increase in applicants?
I am tempted to email them but don’t want to be annoying haha
No, I haven't received anything either. Maybe they are moving at a good pace this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d like to know as well.... I’ve made my peace with it though...
I talked to a friend today who was offered an interview and she said she only had 10 hours of large animal on her application, so ‍♀️. She also hasn’t completed her bachelors yet and won’t for another year. Really curious to know what it was that didn’t allow me to get an interview.

So in the email sent to me, they offered a re-application workshop through zoom and I have no idea what that is. I signed up for a workshop and haven’t heard anything.

Attachments

• A3FB90DD-4DB5-42DE-A799-07AEAF42180F.png
    A3FB90DD-4DB5-42DE-A799-07AEAF42180F.png
    232.9 KB · Views: 113
So in the email sent to me, they offered a re-application workshop through zoom and I have no idea what that is. I signed up for a workshop and haven’t heard anything.

So wait, are they not doing file reviews? Just the re-application workshop? That seems...not great.

MSU is really interested in unique, long term, and valuable experiences. They want your eLORs to support those important experiences. They want your essays to support them and to show what you learned or what you took from them. And lastly they want to see growth in those experiences through gaining more and more responsibility.
There are a crazy amount of factors that go into selecting applicants so no one thing is guaranteed to help or hurt you. The only people who really know why is going to be the admissions team, so highly recommend a file review/denied applicants meeting.

Yeah, super curious to see what they say I can improve on!
She might have had a lot of other experience too -- animal research on campus, shelter volunteer hours, zoo internships, maybe various on campus leadership experiences or volunteer/service hours. It is a pretty mixed bag when looking at vet school applicants. A girl who was accepted into OSU and MSU from my school had no large animal experience but did SO MUCH on our campus that showed she was unique and a leader (Greek life, honor societies, research, hands on vet experience, volunteering). Maybe just email them and ask? I dont think it would hurt.
Oddly enough when we compared stats she said I beat her in every category and had much more additional experience, so who knows. I did email and ask, to which they told me they were holding a workshop. Looking forward to file reviews in a few months, though!
I took a look at your WAMC, I think MSU has a minimum 3.0 cumGPA, so if that hadn't changed since your post, that could be why.
MSU does not look at cumulative GPA thankfully! Only last 36 and required have to be >3.0 to receive a file review.
Also do you know your prereq gpa?
I had a 3.6 science and a 3.91 last 36
So wait, are they not doing file reviews? Just the re-application workshop? That seems...not great.
I did email and ask if file reviews were still happening in March/April like previous years, just waiting to hear back.

This is the email I received back when asking about file reviews.

Attachments

• 571EF338-0ECD-47D4-AF7B-346713E158F4.jpeg
    571EF338-0ECD-47D4-AF7B-346713E158F4.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 156
Does anyone know if they had another large increase in OOS applicants this year?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I signed up for the December 6 workshop and I haven’t heard anything more about it... I don’t know if it’s online or on campus
This is the email I received back when asking about file reviews.

Hey guys, just received an email for us OOS applicants. Just said they're not done going through the applications. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Just received this email "We are still evaluating applications for non-Michigan residents and will be doing so through the beginning of January. Interviews for non-Michigan residents will be conducted in January and February. Invitations for non-Michigan residents will go out starting in December and early January.

We had a 41.2% increase in applications in 2018 and another 13% increase this year. Please have patience as we complete the careful evaluation of all applications.

We will not reply to any individual requests for application status as this takes time away from our application evaluations which means a delay in interview invitations. You can assume that your application is still under review.

Again, thank you for your patience."

I just got that email too.

"We had a 41.2% increase in applications in 2018 and another 13% increase this year. Please have patience as we complete the careful evaluation of all applications.

We will not reply to any individual requests for application status as this takes time away from our application evaluations which means a delay in interview invitations. You can assume that your application is still under review."

I guess they got enough emails from anxious OOS applicants about their status ;)

Just got the same email!! I'm so nervous and excited.

It’s nice that they are being considerate of us and keeping us somewhat in the loop about their workload and timeline. Hope for the best for us!

I also received that email. OOS second time applicant. I was rejected last year. Here's hoping for an interview this year!

Do we know if any OOS have been rejected so far? As per the "You can assume that your application is still under review. " Just curious if every OOS received this email, or if there's already been an elimination round?
Thanks! :D

The impression I got is that they are still reviewing applications and have not released any decisions for OOS applicants.

Got in state for jan 10 was hoping for December. Does anyone know if later interview affects chances of getting in? Like is it on rolling acceptance? Thanks!

Got in state for jan 10 was hoping for December. Does anyone know if later interview affects chances of getting in? Like is it on rolling acceptance? Thanks!
Late interviews don't affect your chances of acceptance

I'm late to this thread, but I am a second year applicant (IS) and received an interview invite for 12/13! Fingers crossed this is my year. MSU is my dream school!

I did apply a year early last cycle and was rejected without an interview. I attended both the zoom workshop and the individual applicant review. For the zoom workshop, they will send you a link on the day of the meeting and you are able to connect. They review the statistics and talk about helpful tips moving forward with your application. I believe at the end they open up the table for questions. I will say, the individual review was extremely beneficial to me personally, as it gave me clarity on what specific experiences I could grow in. The one thing that was made extremely clear was that they really value " breadth and depth" of experience. They also mentioned how they like to see the "story" for experience description. Why did you do it, what did you do, and what did you learn. This formatting isn't applicable to all cases, but it helps show how you achieved both the depth and breadth. Hopefully this is beneficial to some others in this thread, as it really brought me peace and understanding last year with my application. Edit to add; this was just my personal experience, but wanted to share!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm late to this thread, but I am a second year applicant (IS) and received an interview invite for 12/13! Fingers crossed this is my year. MSU is my dream school!

I did apply a year early last cycle and was rejected without an interview. I attended both the zoom workshop and the individual applicant review. For the zoom workshop, they will send you a link on the day of the meeting and you are able to connect. They review the statistics and talk about helpful tips moving forward with your application. I believe at the end they open up the table for questions. I will say, the individual review was extremely beneficial to me personally, as it gave me clarity on what specific experiences I could grow in. The one thing that was made extremely clear was that they really value " breadth and depth" of experience. They also mentioned how they like to see the "story" for experience description. Why did you do it, what did you do, and what did you learn. This formatting isn't applicable to all cases, but it helps show how you achieved both the depth and breadth. Hopefully this is beneficial to some others in this thread, as it really brought me peace and understanding last year with my application. Edit to add; this was just my personal experience, but wanted to share!

I will see you on Friday!!!

Today last year is when they started sending out OOS interview invites! Hoping they do the same this year :corny:

Reactions: 6 users
Today last year is when they started sending out OOS interview invites! Hoping they do the same this year :corny:

I was just about to say the same thing! I have a feeling we won’t hear back till next week though. We shall see. All I know is I keep refreshing my email every hour lol

Do you know if they send them out all at once or in batches?

Do you know if they send them out all at once or in batches?
They sent them out in 3 batches last year. One last year today, another about a week later, and then another in January

Reactions: 2 users
They sent them out in 3 batches last year. One last year today, another about a week later, and then another in January

Gah, that makes me crazy. Just tell me my fate :oops:

Reactions: 4 users
Good Luck to everyone who is interviewing tomorrow!! I will be one of the students giving tours tomorrow! =] You'll all do great! Just be confident in yourselves and your answers! <3

Good luck tomorrow!!! You guys are awesome.

Best of luck tomorrow guys!! Believe in yourselves!
I sadly won't be doing tours tomorrow (it's my birthday and my parents are moving), but I'll be doing tours on the 20th!

How do you guys think it went yesterday?

If I'm ever at a thing where I know there will be SDN pre-vets I usually ask if there are any SDNers in the house, but I chickened out yesterday.

Personally, I think it can go either way for me. Some of the scenarios went well, others not so well. I can't say any of them went particularly poorly, but there were at least a couple that make me cringe a little thinking back.