You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Michigan State University c/o 2024
Started by Sunshine in a Storm
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
We had a meeting last week and they mentioned that interviews for IS we’re starting later this year.
ughhhh I hope we (IS) still get admissions decisions by Christmas!
Did they mention if there was an increase in IS applicants this year?
also, ty for the info. hope school is going well!
ughhhh I hope we (IS) still get admissions decisions by Christmas!
Did they mention if there was an increase in IS applicants this year?
also, ty for the info. hope school is going well!
They haven’t said yet. We will probably get more information closer to interviews.
School is great so far! We had an skills exam on suturing today and I about crapped my pants from nerves but all was well haha.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I'm volunteering for tours and hopefully the student panel a few of the interview days and the first interview day is Dec. 13th.
Maybe I'll see some of you! 🙂
Maybe I'll see some of you! 🙂
If they follow the same schedule they did last year for IS interview invites, that would be this Monday we'd be hearing something! 😵
meykai16dew
U of I c/o 2024
If they follow the same schedule they did last year for IS interview invites, that would be this Monday we'd be hearing something! 😵
Oh my gosh! So nerve wracking! If anyone hears anything please post about it! I'm so anxious to hear back from a school.
I just heard from MSU guys!!!!
It was another stolen moped being reported.
It was another stolen moped being reported.
I just heard from MSU guys!!!!
It was another stolen moped being reported.
It's always a moped. Unless it was something in an unlocked room.
It literally has been like 30 mopeds this year haha
Well hey today apparently all the undergrads are falling for gift card scams. So that's different.
Mine was from [email protected]This may be a silly question but I feel like I get a lot of spam mail. What email does MSU send interview invitations from? I want to make sure the email is flagged so I get a notification about it lol
Same.Mine was from [email protected]
@alissa14 The email that I received from Lauren said I wouldn't hear back until some time this month. It was sent from [email protected]. It sent to my inbox, but it doesn't hurt to double check your spam.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@alissa14 The email that I received from Lauren said I wouldn't hear back until some time this month. It was sent from [email protected]. It sent to my inbox, but it doesn't hurt to double check your spam.
Did you email Lauren directly?
I received an email from Lauren about interviews going out in November this year from [email protected]. First time applying to MSU, so unsure if this will be interview invite email as well, but figured I’d mention it as well.
Just got an interview invite (in-state resident)
meykai16dew
U of I c/o 2024
Congratulations!! Good luck at the MMI's. When did you submit your application?Just got an interview invite (in-state resident)
Woooo go Shelter!!Just got an interview invite (in-state resident)
Congratulations!! Good luck at the MMI's. When did you submit your application?
I think like, September 12th or so. When you submitted your app doesn't likely make a difference, I don't think.
I just got rejected..? Which I'm honestly pretty surprised about because I had a 3.6 science and a 3.91 last 36, with research, large animal, volunteer, and 9,000 small snimal hours. SoooOOoooO there's that I guess.
I'm sorry to hear that.. For what it's worth, your stats do look AMAZING to me. Are you going to do a file review?I just got rejected..? Which I'm honestly pretty surprised about because I had a 3.6 science and a 3.91 last 36, with research, large animal, volunteer, and 9,000 small snimal hours. SoooOOoooO there's that I guess.
I just got rejected..? Which I'm honestly pretty surprised about because I had a 3.6 science and a 3.91 last 36, with research, large animal, volunteer, and 9,000 small snimal hours. SoooOOoooO there's that I guess.
Hopefully you applied elsewhere?
Still waiting to hear from Iowa, K-State and Arizona.Hopefully you applied elsewhere?
Thanks. I sent an email asking where I missed the mark so I guess we'll see what they say. They didn't mention anything about a file review in the email, they mentioned a workshop, but I'm hoping someone can just reply to my email since I'm not really interested in a workshop.I'm sorry to hear that.. For what it's worth, your stats do look AMAZING to me. Are you going to do a file review?
They don’t care about gpa beyond you having at least a 3.0. So that’s why your grades didn’t help you here. They don’t do file reviews until around March iirc.I just got rejected..? Which I'm honestly pretty surprised about because I had a 3.6 science and a 3.91 last 36, with research, large animal, volunteer, and 9,000 small snimal hours. SoooOOoooO there's that I guess.
Still waiting to hear from Iowa, K-State and Arizona.
Thanks. I sent an email asking where I missed the mark so I guess we'll see what they say. They didn't mention anything about a file review in the email, they mentioned a workshop, but I'm hoping someone can just reply to my email since I'm not really interested in a workshop.
I saw on your WAMC post that you only had about 20 hours of large animal experience - so maybe that contributed to it? If I remember correctly, Michigan State really values a variety of large animal experiences. Any idea how your letters & essays were? I agree, your academic & small animal stats are excellent.
Yeah, I'm thinking my lack of large animal was probably a contributing factor. I didn't have any 'animal' experience i.e. volunteering at a shelter, etc since all of my hours were veterinary. I had multiple doctors and english majors read and help edit my essays over the course of a few months so I felt good about those and feel confident my letters were also pretty good. Guess we'll see what they say!I saw on your WAMC post that you only had about 20 hours of large animal experience - so maybe that contributed to it? If I remember correctly, Michigan State really values a variety of large animal experiences. Any idea how your letters & essays were? I agree, your academic & small animal stats are excellent.
No, I just received it as an update from them & I noticed her name was at the bottomDid you email Lauren directly?
Does anyone know if there are applicant forums created this year for Penn, Purdue, & Mississippi? I found forums for the other schools I applied to, just couldn't find these ones.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
meykai16dew
U of I c/o 2024
Does anyone know if there are applicant forums created this year for Penn, Purdue, & Mississippi? I found forums for the other schools I applied to, just couldn't find these ones.
Purdue c/o 2024
Hello everyone! Second time applicant, first time applicant to Purdue OOS. Who else is applying?
This is Purdue.
Thank you![]()
Purdue c/o 2024
Hello everyone! Second time applicant, first time applicant to Purdue OOS. Who else is applying?forums.studentdoctor.net
This is Purdue.
SHELTERRRRRRRRRJust got an interview invite (in-state resident)

I suppose there aren't many Michigan State applicants on SDN this year?!
ETA: In-state* applicants
ETA: In-state* applicants
Last edited:
Nah dawg, we’re all still frantically biting our nails waiting!I suppose there aren't many Michigan State applicants on SDN this year?!
Nah dawg, we’re all still frantically biting our nails waiting!
Oh of course, I guess I should have added in state though? Unless you are in state, of course! Just thought it a bit strange that I was the only IS person who posted about getting an invite today, ya know?
Found out tonight that I won’t be invited for an interview. As everyone can imagine, I’m pretty upset. I feel like my chances were on the slim side. First time in state applicant. No degree, but a fair amount of veterinary/animal experience. I wish the best of luck to everyone else here. Here’s to hoping for class of 2025
I just got rejected..? Which I'm honestly pretty surprised about because I had a 3.6 science and a 3.91 last 36, with research, large animal, volunteer, and 9,000 small snimal hours. SoooOOoooO there's that I guess.
Are you in state or out of state?
Found out tonight that I won’t be invited for an interview. As everyone can imagine, I’m pretty upset. I feel like my chances were on the slim side. First time in state applicant. No degree, but a fair amount of veterinary/animal experience. I wish the best of luck to everyone else here. Here’s to hoping for class of 2025
As hard as it is, it seems like it really isn’t unusual to have to go multiple rounds of applications. File reviews will be helpful in the spring to give you an idea of what to work towards on your new application. This is one of the most competitive things any of us will ever do. Stay strong! Theres always next year, which leaves you nearly an entire year to improve!
Received my interview invite today! This is my 3rd time applying to MSU and it will be my 2nd year getting an interview. Hopefully 3rd times the charm 🙂
In.Are you in state or out of state?
Guessing us out-of-staters will have to wait a while before we get news. *crosses fingers*
Yeah. I think it usually doesn’t come until the end of December or January for OOS. So no news is good news!
Guessing us out-of-staters will have to wait a while before we get news. *crosses fingers*
Look like it! Hopefully they send us a update like they did last year. I am very curious if there was an increase in applicants this year since last year there was a 46% increase.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As hard as it is, it seems like it really isn’t unusual to have to go multiple rounds of applications. File reviews will be helpful in the spring to give you an idea of what to work towards on your new application. This is one of the most competitive things any of us will ever do. Stay strong! Theres always next year, which leaves you nearly an entire year to improve!
Thank you! Now I’m left with figuring out with what to do for the next year... try and finish a bachelor’s in a year (nearly impossible for where I’m at) or take the year off and try and gain as much experience as possible
Thank you! Now I’m left with figuring out with what to do for the next year... try and finish a bachelor’s in a year (nearly impossible for where I’m at) or take the year off and try and gain as much experience as possible
Which area of your application do you think is lacking? If you have tons of small animal experience, maybe try to branch out & get some large animal? Or if your grades are poor, maybe try taking whatever upper level classes you can & do very well in them? Or you could also look into doing research or improving your essays/relationships with people who could write better letters. Those seem to be the most common ways to improve an application - with most people, it seems to generally be that their grades are bad or they don't have much/varied experience. Schools want to see a well-rounded applicant who can both handle the workload of school and be an effective veterinarian upon graduation. Adding more of the same isn't always the best option.
Definitely ask for a file review. Unfortunately if I'm recalling correctly....they don't do those until the spring??? Hopefully some better informed Mich St peeps will chime in.Thank you! Now I’m left with figuring out with what to do for the next year... try and finish a bachelor’s in a year (nearly impossible for where I’m at) or take the year off and try and gain as much experience as possible
For this cycle, were all of your pre-req's complete at the time of application?
From looking at your WAMC post, I'd recommend getting more hours in other than a small animal setting. I understand needing to keep your current small animal clinic job to help pay the bills etc, but talk to the vet there and see if he/she has any advice on large animal/ER/equine clinics that you could shadow with on your days off. This should not present a conflict of interest with your current job since these are non-competing fields and you'd be volunteering/shadowing as opposed to being an employee.
Applying to your instate school is financially a smart decision. From there it's doing the best you can to tailor your application to what they value. Again, hoping some Mich St peeps can give more details here. Even though you aren't required to have a bachelors degree, it seems from the last 2 years of stats only 2-3 people from each of those classes did not have a bachelors degree. Is it possible for you to continue taking classes towards an undergraduate degree?
Class of 2023 Profile
cvm.msu.edu
Best of luck to you!
Which area of your application do you think is lacking? If you have tons of small animal experience, maybe try to branch out & get some large animal? Or if your grades are poor, maybe try taking whatever upper level classes you can & do very well in them? Or you could also look into doing research or improving your essays/relationships with people who could write better letters. Those seem to be the most common ways to improve an application - with most people, it seems to generally be that their grades are bad or they don't have much/varied experience. Schools want to see a well-rounded applicant who can both handle the workload of school and be an effective veterinarian upon graduation. Adding more of the same isn't always the best option.
I plan to get an improved amount of experience in the next year. I also am unsure about my LORs. I chose people who would write me a good recommendation but have no idea what they said. My grades are good but I feel like while I have a good amount of experience, there are others that have more rounded experience.
Definitely ask for a file review. Unfortunately if I'm recalling correctly....they don't do those until the spring??? Hopefully some better informed Mich St peeps will chime in.
For this cycle, were all of your pre-req's complete at the time of application?
From looking at your WAMC post, I'd recommend getting more hours in other than a small animal setting. I understand needing to keep your current small animal clinic job to help pay the bills etc, but talk to the vet there and see if he/she has any advice on large animal/ER/equine clinics that you could shadow with on your days off. This should not present a conflict of interest with your current job since these are non-competing fields and you'd be volunteering/shadowing as opposed to being an employee.
Applying to your instate school is financially a smart decision. From there it's doing the best you can to tailor your application to what they value. Again, hoping some Mich St peeps can give more details here. Even though you aren't required to have a bachelors degree, it seems from the last 2 years of stats only 2-3 people from each of those classes did not have a bachelors degree. Is it possible for you to continue taking classes towards an undergraduate degree?
![]()
Class of 2023 Profile
cvm.msu.edu
Best of luck to you!
My pre-reqs will not be complete until after this upcoming winter semester. Not sure if that had any bearing on my application. It is possible for me to continue working towards a bachelors, however since I took the majority of my pre reqs at a community college, I’m not on a set path towards a degree and It would most likely take me an additional two years to complete, which is not in my opinion, ideal.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 323
- Views
- 52K