Michigan State University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone who got an OOS invite mind posting their stats?

I have my bachelors so they looked at just required course gpa and for me that is about a 3.41. I am in grad school and have a 4.0 in that so they looked at my last 18 hours of grad school (or three semesters) my undergrad didn't haunt me there.
  • they take the highest of your attempts, I got D's in organic chem 2 TWICE and on my third attempt I got an A (professors really do make a difference)
  • I despise physics, so I got a C in physics 1 and B in physics 2 and an A in a five hour physics three course but they wouldn't consider my physics three
I worked in multiple clinics over a three year period in undergrad. I also was volunteering at a clinic while working 40 hours a week at a bar at night and attending 18 hours worth of courses -> I talked about this during my essays.

I think what helped me is I am doing my master's and I am doing a research based thesis masters looking at reproduction in cattle.

I will leave a note of caution to take anyones stats with a grain of salt because again there are so many factors that go into the admissions process. Just because you are below or over someone doesn't really mean too much. Especially on schools with holistic approaches.

Members don't see this ad.

I have my bachelors so they looked at just required course gpa and for me that is about a 3.41. I am in grad school and have a 4.0 in that so they looked at my last 18 hours of grad school (or three semesters) my undergrad didn't haunt me there.
  • they take the highest of your attempts, I got D's in organic chem 2 TWICE and on my third attempt I got an A (professors really do make a difference)
  • I despise physics, so I got a C in physics 1 and B in physics 2 and an A in a five hour physics three course but they wouldn't consider my physics three
I worked in multiple clinics over a three year period in undergrad. I also was volunteering at a clinic while working 40 hours a week at a bar at night and attending 18 hours worth of courses -> I talked about this during my essays.

I think what helped me is I am doing my master's and I am doing a research based thesis masters looking at reproduction in cattle.

I will leave a note of caution to take anyones stats with a grain of salt because again there are so many factors that go into the admissions process. Just because you are below or over someone doesn't really mean too much. Especially on schools with holistic approaches.

Yep 100% agree with this statement. I’m OOS and was rejected and these are my stats:

Science GPA: 3.75
Cumulative GPA: 3.74
Last 45: 3.95

Surprised I didn’t at least get waitlisted but oh well.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MSU is definitely not your GPA-focused school. If you meet their minimum GPA, they no longer consider your GPA for admissions (unless, I believe, you’re “tied” with another applicant). MSU is very heavily holistic and definitely relies on ‘quality over quantity’ for experiences. Personal growth is important to them and they definitely want to see what you’ve learned from your experiences more so than what you’ve done.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS rejection - makes me nervous for other schools that required CASPer as well

Reactions: 1 user
Yep 100% agree with this statement. I’m OOS and was rejected and these are my stats:

Science GPA: 3.75
Cumulative GPA: 3.74
Last 45: 3.95

Surprised I didn’t at least get waitlisted but oh well.
Yeah that’s fair I was just curious! I’m down in Florida and I know OOS is very competitive and schools look at different things! Heard from Auburn and UF yesterday so fingers crossed!
My science GPA: 3.8
Cumulative: 3.74
Last 45: 3.92
6000+ experience in small animal/specialty practice over the last 4.5 years.

I'm OOS and got the webinar invite. But I did so poorly on CASper I think I am hopeless...

OOS rejection. Big congratulations and good luck to those invited! I’m excited for you.

Not to extrapolate too much from a few anecdotes (!= anecdata etc), but it does seem to me like they are looking more heavily at veterinary experience and personal growth/overcoming adversity than at other aspects of applications. To add one more anecdote (or anecdatum ;)), I have:
- 4.0 GPA
- 1900 h animal experience with cats, horses, wildlife, poultry, goats, and dogs
- 560 h research
- only 270 (now 330) h veterinary experience

OOS rejection. The admissions process is a true mystery, y’all! I’m not too upset because this is actually my first rejection and I’ve been accepted elsewhere, more just confused because I thought I stood a decent chance since MSU reviews applicants holistically. Congrats to everyone who got a webinar invite!

Reactions: 3 users
OOS invite. So when do we find out about final decision?

OOS invite. So when do we find out about final decision?
They told in-state “some time in the new year.” So I’d imagine OOS will be after that..

Members don't see this ad :)
Non-trad 30yr female, science GPA 3.93, last 45 GPA 3.92, cGPA 3.87, 3000+ vet experience SA (shelter, GP with some exotic animal experience, ER), no LA vet experience. 200ish animal experience with zoo and farm animals, 2000+ research experience in social sciences and biomedical research.

OOS rejection. Big congratulations and good luck to those invited! I’m excited for you.

Not to extrapolate too much from a few anecdotes (!= anecdata etc), but it does seem to me like they are looking more heavily at veterinary experience and personal growth/overcoming adversity than at other aspects of applications. To add one more anecdote (or anecdatum ;)), I have:
- 4.0 GPA
- 1900 h animal experience with cats, horses, wildlife, poultry, goats, and dogs
- 560 h research
- only 270 (now 330) h veterinary experience
Don't let this defeat you! I think your stats are good, just keep accumulating vet experience - companion animal hospitals (GP and ER alike) are really overwhelmed with increased clients during Covid, and vet techs/assistants are in high demand!

Did anyone from oos get nothing and still under review

When is the OOS webinar?

I'm OOS and got the webinar invite. But I did so poorly on CASper I think I am hopeless...
clearly not hopeless if you got the webinar invite! How do you know you did so poorly on CASPer? Their scoring process still seems like a mystery to me.

I'm a 32-year old non-traditional applicant from New Jersey. cGPA is around a 3.35, science GPA around a 3.1, last-45 credit is 3.6 something, MSU-specific last-36 is 3.83. ~4000 hours SA GP, ~500 hours equine/ruminant GP, CVT certification obtained in Wisconsin, ~25 hours non-lab research, over 10,000 animal experience (equine/dog/cat), had a full other career before starting vet med in politics. I wholeheartedly agree with everyone above that MSU seems to really favor a balanced, nuanced, interesting person with diverse practical experience. That being said, I'm not sure what was different this time around, but I received a straight rejection last year with non significantly different stats (other than my last-36 GPA being closer to 3.6). The only thing I can think of is that my CASPer scores were compelling enough to grant me further consideration - one of my truly strong skills is responding & articulating on my feet, so I found CASPer fairly straightforward.

Also, as someone who received exactly one interview invite and a subsequent waitlist last year, my advice is this: it's OKAY to have a few days where you feel down about this. It's OKAY to grieve a bit about this process, and about not having what it took this year. It doesn't reflect on you as a person, it truly doesn't. You are no less deserving or important than anyone else, and it does NOT mean you will never be a doctor. Once you can pick yourself back up again, once the hurt dulls a bit, that's time to start working on your next application. As a reminder - you DO NOT need to always apply in subsequent years. Sometimes taking a year or two out of the process to focus on gaining experience, starting a family, or just taking care of you & spending time in the adult world is the absolute best decision! Vet school will still be there when you come back, I promise!

Reactions: 4 users
For those wondering, MSU didn’t review people’s CASPer scores when inviting people to the webinar. Your invitation was solely based on your file review. Final decisions will then be based on file review and CASPer scores!

Congrats to all invited and best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
For those wondering, MSU didn’t review people’s CASPer scores when inviting people to the webinar. Your invitation was solely based on your file review. Final decisions will then be based on file review and CASPer scores!

Can you explain a little bit more of what to expect at the webinar? I’m confused. Like is it an interview/not an interview? And they’ll be hunted off students there? How does this work?

Can you explain a little bit more of what to expect at the webinar? I’m confused. Like is it an interview/not an interview? And they’ll be hunted off students there? How does this work?
It’s very laid back and basically the equivalent of like the interview dinner thing they’d do if this we all in person? The dean spoke to us first and gave a brief about the college, and then different faculty spoke to us about the program and what to expect in different years. Financial aide went over tuition, potential scholarships, FAFSA, etc so you could get an idea of costs and everything. At the end, we had a Q&A with students from different years. Bring along any and all questions you may have! They’ll do their best to answer them all during the webinar and then send out a transcript later on with answers!

It’s very laid back and basically the equivalent of like the interview dinner thing they’d do if this we all in person? The dean spoke to us first and gave a brief about the college, and then different faculty spoke to us about the program and what to expect in different years. Financial aide went over tuition, potential scholarships, FAFSA, etc so you could get an idea of costs and everything. At the end, we had a Q&A with students from different years. Bring along any and all questions you may have! They’ll do their best to answer them all during the webinar and then send out a transcript later on with answers!

Is it more soo like a information session for us to learn more about the school rather than them evaluating us?

Is it more soo like a information session for us to learn more about the school rather than them evaluating us?
That’s exactly it! It has no bearing on your application at all.

Oh wow that makes a lot of sense. Did they mention how they are going to evaluate us from now on?
CASPer scores are the last thing they’ll evaluate, and then it sounds like decisions will be based on file review and CASPer scores! At this point, you’re accepted or waitlisted! At least, that’s how it is for IS, but it may differ some for OOS since you guys have two potential webinar dates, and we had one. Or they learned having one was overwhelming for questions and split it up for less people for OOS.

OH interesting! Huh, well then we’ll see about my CASPer score I guess! Thanks for the info!

OOS webinar invite. I wish I could know what my CASPer score was—I felt pretty good about it, but there’s really no way to know, and it seems that it’s the determining factor in my fate. I already got rejected by two schools today, and this webinar invite has me hopeful but still very confused! This is an emotional roller coaster.
+1 to your entire post! Rejected from Auburn & Purdue in the last 24 hours, rejected from KSU & UIUC earlier this cycle, on the waitlist for VMCVM but not overly optimistic. This definitely made my day of crappy catheter placement & screaming French Bulldogs better!
Confused Chrissy Teigen GIF

CASPer scores are the last thing they’ll evaluate, and then it sounds like decisions will be based on file review and CASPer scores! At this point, you’re accepted or waitlisted! At least, that’s how it is for IS, but it may differ some for OOS since you guys have two potential webinar dates, and we had one. Or they learned having one was overwhelming for questions and split it up for less people for OOS.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for clearing this up. I was so confused. I wish they are more straightforward about the process

+1 to your entire post! Rejected from Auburn & Purdue in the last 24 hours, rejected from KSU & UIUC earlier this cycle, on the waitlist for VMCVM but not overly optimistic. This definitely made my day of crappy catheter placement & screaming French Bulldogs better!
Confused Chrissy Teigen GIF
seems like we both had the same day, since I also got rejected by Iowa today. The only difference is that I had a fractious beagle screaming all day instead of a Frenchie, lol.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for clearing this up. I was so confused. I wish they are more straightforward about the process
No problem! And honestly, same! MSU had to send a clarification email stating they hadn’t looked at applicants CASPer scores pre-webinar invite. I think it was misleading when they sent everyone who met their GPA minimum a CASPer invite. They should’ve clarified more they had to do this since CASPer had limited testing dates.

Are we expected to dress formally for this webinar?

Are we expected to dress formally for this webinar?
I dressed up a smidge but only because I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. However, your camera and mic will NOT be on— so I wouldn’t worry about dressing up!

I dressed up a smidge but only because I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. However, your camera and mic will NOT be on— so I wouldn’t worry about dressing up!
Thank god. I will be attending with a few hours of sleep after an overnight shift and will probably be a hot mess.

In the same boat... this was my concern as well
Don’t be discouraged about CASPer scores! If MSU is treating OOS the same as IS, CASPer scores were not considered for the webinar invite. Only the fact that you completed CASPer. The webinar invite was based on file review alone.

Wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me - I still have one prereq to fulfill for MSU, and I plan to take it in the winter quarter (Jan-Mar). I received the prereq deficiency email today indicating that same prereq is yet to be taken. Since I haven't finished it, I assume I don't have to report anything with the survey in that email? Thanks for any input!

Wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me - I still have one prereq to fulfill for MSU, and I plan to take it in the winter quarter (Jan-Mar). I received the prereq deficiency email today indicating that same prereq is yet to be taken. Since I haven't finished it, I assume I don't have to report anything with the survey in that email? Thanks for any input!
Is it a science pre-req or a general education pre-req?

It's a science prereq! Math actually.
I had all my science pre-reqs complete so I’m not sure what the form looks like if you don’t, what are the options? I would assume you just have to tell them you will have it completed by June 2021 like the general education pre-req check box options.

4010419D-F2F6-4CC7-BFDB-F06E6646D728.png

Did anyone’s email look like this? It says “Science requirements to complete:” but doesn’t list anything specific after that so I’m not sure if i don’t need to complete anything or there was supposed to be something there... I emailed admissions but I just wanted to see if anyone else got this.

View attachment 325530
Did anyone’s email look like this? It says “Science requirements to complete:” but doesn’t list anything specific after that so I’m not sure if i don’t need to complete anything or there was supposed to be something there... I emailed admissions but I just wanted to see if anyone else got this.
LOL that's hella confusing! Mine said math after the : which makes a lot more sense :rofl:

Did anyone else receive an oustanding pre-req email even though all pre-reqs are finished? They said that I'm missing my math requirements. I emailed them and am still waiting for a response. Just wondering if it's just me. o_O

To those worrying about the pre-req deficiency form, if you have all your pre-reqs done— or are working on them—, just go ahead and sign it and send it in! MSU is just making sure they’re on the same page as you with your pre-reqs either being done or that you’re aware you have pre-reqs needed and are currently working on them. If MSU has any more questions, they’ll email you!

I would absolutely send in the report and the survey. It’s like a contract promising you’ll finish the needed pre reqs