Michigan State University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rolling back in to add, don’t dwell too much on answering EVERY question. If one stumps you, make sure the other one’s are answered thoroughly. The scorers are trained to score based on quality and not quantity, so if you are unable to answer one question, you won’t be marked down for no answering it.

Each module thing is worth 9 points I believe, but that doesn’t mean each question is worth 3 points. You’re scored on overall response and quality.

You want to answer all the questions of course, but if you answered 1 or 2 solidly and missed the others, you can still score well!
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gotten an email yet with the link and schedule for the webinar? I know the email said we should get it by Dec 1st

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection emails went out. Check your emails.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Rejection emails went out. Check your emails.
Just got mine. Killed all confidence I had since MSU was my state school... fingers crossed for my OOS ones left!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Just got mine. Killed all confidence I had since MSU was my state school... fingers crossed for my OOS ones left!
Same here, but we have to keep our chins up for our OOS options! Congrats to the current and future applicants moving forward 😊

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for everyone who got rejected :( does anyone know if they sent OOS rejections?

I am so so sorry for those who got rejected, I know how it feels to be in your place. It's important to remember that this does not define you as an applicant and you are all amazing!
I guess it is looking like if you get that email then it is most likely you are accepted. @Comet12 , yes it's only for IS.

Reactions: 1 user
I am so so sorry for those who got rejected, I know how it feels to be in your place. It's important to remember that this does not define you as an applicant and you are all amazing!
I guess it is looking like if you get that email then it is most likely you are accepted. @Comet12 , yes it's only for IS.

Does anyone know when oos will be hearing anything? They said by December 31st but has anyone heard anything else?

I just received my confirmation email for the webinar. It looks like the webinar invite was sent based on file reviews alone, and they are still waiting to get all CASPer scores for IS applicants to review everything.

I just received my confirmation email for the webinar. It looks like the webinar invite was sent based on file reviews alone, and they are still waiting to get all CASPer scores for IS applicants to review everything.
I also got this email. So I’m guessing that CASPer scores will be the last step to determine admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)

I don’t know if that’s the case for sure because the deadline for IS was November 17th and I know of someone who was rejected because they failed to get their CASPer score in by that deadline. The initial invite also stated ‘based on file review and CASPer scores’ soo??? They could be referring to OOS who still have time.

Otherwise, those who got the webinar invite sound like are either accepted or waitlisted at the very least— but we’ll see??

To those rejected, keep your heads up! I’ve been in your boat as well. This is a competitive field and you should be proud you’ve made it this far! There’s a school for your out there!! Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so so sorry to everyone who recieved rejections today. Just remember this year has been so ****ed and I truly don't believe it accurately represents how wonderful of applicants you all are. Reports have shown that there was a surprising 19% increase in the amount of applicants this year, which I'm sure schools were not prepared for, and likely resulted in many difficult decisions for the schools when looking through applications. On any other year I'm sure you all would've made the top of the list!

Keep your heads up! This year doesn't count as a real year, don't beat yourself up over something you've had no control over.

As someone who was in the exact same boat last year, I know how devastating rejection can be. I seriously cried for like 4 hours lmao and contemplated my life decisions! Keep your head up and in no way does this mean you won’t make an amazing vet some day! I recommend the webinar that they offer. It does not help you figure out why they rejected you (after hearing how other schools will actually review your file and tell you how to do better I found this frustrating). BUT, it does give some helpful information. Take the year to improve your experiences. I know its pretty hard right now due to covid but I was able to still able to make it work. For example, I was able to get some experience working with wildlife (highly recommend this btw). Good luck to the OOS those still waiting to hear and congrats to my fellow IS (we may just be classmates soon!!!)

So on the subject of admissions, for those who are invited to the webinar, are we supposed to hear final decisions by end of December? Also in previous years the in state waitlist moved anywhere from 10-15 spots

So on the subject of admissions, for those who are invited to the webinar, are we supposed to hear final decisions by end of December? Also in previous years the in state waitlist moved anywhere from 10-15 spots
I feel like we should hear about final decisions sooner? Like maybe even the day after— I’m sure they have decisions ready since this webinar will not impact our application. I’m inclined to believe those invited are either accepted or waitlisted, as it doesn’t make sense to invite us otherwise?

I’m also not sure what MSU is doing for IS students who took the CASPer on November 17th and are just sending their scores, as I’m pretty sure I heard it was okay for IS to take the test on the deadline.

My email specifically stated my webinar invite was based on my file AND my CASPer scores.

This has been the most frustrating school to apply to. I know they didn't mean anything by it, but it does feel like the admissions process is a little unorganized and unclear. I have heard nothing but great things about the program from graduates of the veterinary school as well as a few phd's I have worked with. I know COVID through everything for a loop, but I was hoping for a clearer idea of the admissions process and where we stand. I guess out of state won't hear anything until the week after Christmas.

• Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
I feel like we should hear about final decisions sooner? Like maybe even the day after— I’m sure they have decisions ready since this webinar will not impact our application. I’m inclined to believe those invited are either accepted or waitlisted, as it doesn’t make sense to invite us otherwise?

I’m also not sure what MSU is doing for IS students who took the CASPer on November 17th and are just sending their scores, as I’m pretty sure I heard it was okay for IS to take the test on the deadline.

My email specifically stated my webinar invite was based on my file AND my CASPer scores.
Maybe those IS students are going to be lumped with OOS who are still waiting to send scores.... Based on last year’s timeline, it wasn’t until mid-january that IS decisions were made but I would guess it would be earlier this year because they’ve already completely reviewed us? I am honestly not sure what they have left to review if they’ve already done the file and casper. My guess is that they’re waiting to see OOS casper scores before final decisions are made. especially since MSU doesn’t have a set number of IS/OOS

Maybe those IS students are going to be lumped with OOS who are still waiting to send scores.... Based on last year’s timeline, it wasn’t until mid-january that IS decisions were made but I would guess it would be earlier this year because they’ve already completely reviewed us? I am honestly not sure what they have left to review if they’ve already done the file and casper. My guess is that they’re waiting to see OOS casper scores before final decisions are made. especially since MSU doesn’t have a set number of IS/OOS
I didn't realize that they don't have a set number? That is interesting! Do they have a set class size?

I didn't realize that they don't have a set number? That is interesting! Do they have a set class size?
115 I believe! Usually about 70-80 in state according to previous years data but it varies each year

Class of 2024 is 116– with 62 IS and 54 OOS I believe. I didn’t realize they didn’t have a set number, but I do remember that MSU typically takes care of IS first and then OOS from there (which is why I feel like we may know sooner about IS acceptances than later this year???).

I also wish they were clearer on their admissions process this year as well, but I hope it doesn’t put a damper on the school itself for people! Their handling of CASPer was kind of misleading, what with nearly everyone who met their GPA mark being invited to ‘interview’, but this is also unprecedented times of course and I’m sure they’re doing the best they can without like a pre-done ‘pandemic plan’ to follow.

115 I believe! Usually about 70-80 in state according to previous years data but it varies each year
When they reduced OOS tuition for class of 2024, they increased the number of OOS students in the class (but did not change class size). Assuming that change remains, I'd expect a ratio more similar to class of 2024 which was 62 IS/54 OOS.

• Sad
Class of 2024 is 116– with 62 IS and 54 OOS I believe. I didn’t realize they didn’t have a set number, but I do remember that MSU typically takes care of IS first and then OOS from there (which is why I feel like we may know sooner about IS acceptances than later this year???).

I also wish they were clearer on their admissions process this year as well, but I hope it doesn’t put a damper on the school itself for people! Their handling of CASPer was kind of misleading, what with nearly everyone who met their GPA mark being invited to ‘interview’, but this is also unprecedented times of course and I’m sure they’re doing the best they can without like a pre-done ‘pandemic plan’ to follow.
I am hoping for decisions sooner rather than later because I meet all of their pre reqs and technically wouldn’t have to take any more rigorous courses next semester...

I feel like I’m in such an awkward place right now. In state student who took CASPer on Nov 17th and patiently waiting for an email stating something!

I feel like I’m in such an awkward place right now. In state student who took CASPer on Nov 17th and patiently waiting for an email stating something!
Honestly you’re probably in a good place. I was hoping someone who was in state was right in that weird middle place (no offense) because it gives a clearer picture of the timeline. I’m sure you give other in staters who haven’t heard anything some hope

I am hoping for decisions sooner rather than later because I meet all of their pre reqs and technically wouldn’t have to take any more rigorous courses next semester...
Hopefully!!! I really feel like they have to have at least some of their IS decisions done already since most webinar invites were based on file reviews AND CASPer.

And I already have my BS so I’m just working full time at a clinic and trying not to stress too much 😅

Honestly you’re probably in a good place. I was hoping someone who was in state was right in that weird middle place (no offense) because it gives a clearer picture of the timeline. I’m sure you give other in staters who haven’t heard anything some hope
Yea! I’m just wondering if I did get a webinar invite would it be combined with a bunch of OOS students? That would be fine but I know tuition would be different for a IS vs an OOS student.

Is the webinar only for IS? I am an OOS applicant and got the 10/30 email saying they received my score and I will continue in the application process, and nothing since. No webinar invitation or anything.

Is the webinar only for IS? I am an OOS applicant and got the 10/30 email saying they received my score and I will continue in the application process, and nothing since. No webinar invitation or anything.
It sounds like it’s just IS who got the webinar invite so far, since OOS have until Dec. 10th to take the CASPer, and the deadline has passed for IS.

I'm not sure if this helps with the timeline at all, but typically all IS decisions are made before OOS decisions go out. For IS students last year interview invites were sent out 11/13, interviews started on 12/13, and decisions went out 1/23. Last year for the class of 2024, the class ratio changed from previous years due to the decrease in OOS tuition, so the class is split relatively evenly between IS and OOS students (I think someone posted the seat breakdown above). I agree with @finnickthedog that I would expect the class ratio to stay about the same to the class of 2024-- but really want to emphasize that this is speculation and only time will tell.

For those who received a rejection email today, I want you to know that this does not define your worth as a person, your ability to get into vet school, or that you will be an amazing DVM one day. Applying to vet school is extremely competitive and the application itself is absolutely terrifying. I personally was rejected my first time applying, and can relate to the devastation. If you applied to other schools, I wish you the best of luck with this cycle and I'm crossing my fingers (and toes!) for you! If MSU was the only school you applied to, I would recommend attending the reapplication webinar as I personally found it helpful, and I am wishing you all the best in your journey as well! The application process can be brutal, and the pandemic is adding to that stress, so make sure to care of and be kind to yourselves:)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
For those of you waiting, they do it by hand and it takes a while. I submitted my scores in September and didn't get confirmation until mid November. Don't stress!

Update for you all! I’m in the APVMA Facebook group and someone there got clarification for MSU’s admissions process. Apparently, the decision to send invites to the webinar was based on the file review alone, NOT the CASPer. They will be reviewing the CASPer for final decisions.
B9C75384-4FA0-4E44-B91C-F590EC93A068.jpeg

kinda sucks if you think about it. MSU asked people to take and pay for the CASPer test without even fully reviewing each application...

MSU asked people to take and pay for the CASPer test without even fully reviewing each application...
While I'll agree, it kind of sucks if you don't move on to the next phase, it doesn't really surprise me. Back in my day (please read with a ridiculous tone of voice), supplementals were not part of VMCAS so they had a separate supplemental that I'm pretty sure they sent to everyone before full file review and it cost $75 or something.

If we assume good intent, I would guess this is a matter of timing. If they just waited until now to invite people to take CASPer then I imagine the admissions process would be drawn out further? Just a guess though.

While I'll agree, it kind of sucks if you don't move on to the next phase, it doesn't really surprise me. Back in my day (please read with a ridiculous tone of voice), supplementals were not part of VMCAS so they had a separate supplemental that I'm pretty sure they sent to everyone before full file review and it cost $75 or something.

If we assume good intent, I would guess this is a matter of timing. If they just waited until now to invite people to take CASPer then I imagine the admissions process would be drawn out further? Just a guess though.
Wow that sucks even more. At least the CASPer is only $25 (I think) if you’re only sending to the one school.

Update for you all! I’m in the APVMA Facebook group and someone there got clarification for MSU’s admissions process. Apparently, the decision to send invites to the webinar was based on the file review alone, NOT the CASPer. They will be reviewing the CASPer for final decisions. View attachment 324320
kinda sucks if you think about it. MSU asked people to take and pay for the CASPer test without even fully reviewing each application...
December 10th is also the last CASPer test date for this cycle, so they didn’t have much choice, unfortunately. But I guess this makes more sense in regard to what they had been saying for their interview process I guess.

Update for you all! I’m in the APVMA Facebook group and someone there got clarification for MSU’s admissions process. Apparently, the decision to send invites to the webinar was based on the file review alone, NOT the CASPer. They will be reviewing the CASPer for final decisions. View attachment 324320
@prevet8697 not sure how to interpret this in your context. I wish I had a clearer answer for you. Perhaps confirm with them that they either received your score or expect to receive it?

December 10th is also the last CASPer test date for this cycle, so they didn’t have much choice, unfortunately. But I guess this makes more sense in regard to what they had been saying for their interview process I guess.
It just sucks because I was under the impression that my CASPer score had been good enough to move on... but now who knows since I don’t have access to that score.

It just sucks because I was under the impression that my CASPer score had been good enough to move on... but now who knows since I don’t have access to that score.
That’s kind of what I had been thinking as well, but hey, it’s still a step in the right direction, regardless. We’re still in this so keep your hopes up!

Since Nov 17th was the last test date for IS applicants, maybe they’ll get IS decisions out once they receive and input all of those scores. The second webinar email I got specifically said it was the “in state webinar”, so hopefully they still let us know relatively soon!

Since Nov 17th was the last test date for IS applicants, maybe they’ll get IS decisions out once they receive and input all of those scores. The second webinar email I got specifically said it was the “in state webinar”, so hopefully they still let us know relatively soon!
I hope so! I just can’t imagine how weird it is to base someone off a number! Like how do you compare someone with a similar number? Go back to the file and compare the application overall. I’m really trying to be less anxious this cycle but covid throwing the process all off isn’t helping lol

I hope so! I just can’t imagine how weird it is to base someone off a number! Like how do you compare someone with a similar number? Go back to the file and compare the application overall. I’m really trying to be less anxious this cycle but covid throwing the process all off isn’t helping lol
Honestly, that’s a valid point, but I’m sure they’re normal MMIs are ‘graded’ in a similar way? I’m not really sure though.

I’m kind of curious if COVID is going to impact IS/OOS class size ratios? Like in general, not just MSU. Are schools going to increase their IS class size to decrease the COVID risk of bringing in people from OOS? Not to be discouraging of course to OOS people, it’s just a curiosity

Yeah, I agree. I also wonder how much weight CASPer will have overall since it is the first year they’re using it, and this application cycle has been so weird. I’ve read that some medical schools use it as another cutoff point. I just wish we were able to get our scores!

Honestly, that’s a valid point, but I’m sure they’re normal MMIs are ‘graded’ in a similar way? I’m not really sure though.

I’m kind of curious if COVID is going to impact IS/OOS class size ratios? Like in general, not just MSU. Are schools going to increase their IS class size to decrease the COVID risk of bringing in people from OOS? Not to be discouraging of course to OOS people, it’s just a curiosity
Wow I never even thought of it that way!!! It gives me a little more hope as an IS student myself but it certainly makes sense in the context of covid

Yeah, I agree. I also wonder how much weight CASPer will have overall since it is the first year they’re using it, and this application cycle has been so weird. I’ve read that some medical schools use it as another cutoff point. I just wish we were able to get our scores!
Especially since CASPer isn’t like the GRE. It’s not something you can exponentially do better on by preparing. Yes it helps to know the format and practice typing but you can’t study it and there are no right answers necessarily. I wish we could get the numbers but imagine all the conspiracies and calculations and lists that us crazy pre vet, pre Med, doesn’t matter, if we got the scores lol