Midwestern 2024-2025 (c/o 2029 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol I hope that virtual interviews still receive equal consideration because I already did mine virtually. I was in the middle of finishing up midterms when my interview was scheduled so there was no way I could travel during that time.

Also, a thanksgiving week acceptance would be absolutely amazing. Do they still send out acceptances this week? I assumed because of the holidays, they wouldn't.
i also did mine virtual- honestly i don’t think it plays a huge effect on acceptance. otherwise why would they offer it? I wouldn’t worry too much about it. if you’re a good candidate, it doesn’t matter if you go in person or not. that’s how i view it. and yeah this waiting IS KILLING ME!! I know they’re probably swamped, but why tell us you’ll let us know in 3 weeks and then don’t 😩💔
 
Lol I hope that virtual interviews still receive equal consideration because I already did mine virtually. I was in the middle of finishing up midterms when my interview was scheduled so there was no way I could travel during that time.

Also, a thanksgiving week acceptance would be absolutely amazing. Do they still send out acceptances this week? I assumed because of the holidays, they wouldn't.

I believe the earliest we’ll hear is December, so probably not until after the holidays. But you never know!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was told by one of the admissions counselors that it is better to go in person if you can because it shows interest. But obviously this isn’t possible for everyone and hopefully if you are a good candidate they will see that both virtually or in person!

Admissions doesn’t weigh in-person more than online interviews. Lots of factors can go into why someone can’t show up in-person, so not fair to consider that.

Also the admissions committee won’t meet this week due to the holiday.
 
Well dang. I kinda wanna email back and tell them i want in person options since i already chose virtual. I’m hoping i still have a chance

Admissions doesn’t weigh in-person more than online interviews. Lots of factors can go into why someone can’t show up in-person, so not fair to consider that.

Also the admissions committee won’t meet this week due to the holiday
just telling you what I was told. From Michael matousek, sr admissions counselor. I agree it isn’t fair, but I think we all know this process is far from fair. I don’t mean to discourage people who couldn’t go in person. I hope they do their best to be fair and not biased. But I also wanted to relay the information I was given for those who asked.
 
Last edited:
just telling you what I was told. From Michael matousek, sr admissions counselor. I agree it isn’t fair, but I think we all know this process is far from fair. I don’t mean to discourage people who couldn’t go in person. I hope they do their best to be fair and not biased. But I also wanted to relay the information I was given for those who asked.

For whatever it’s worth, I am on the admissions committee. While we love having candidates come in person so they can meet people IRL, tour the campus, and guaranteed to not have internet hiccups, it’s not always feasible and we definitely acknowledge that. If there’s internal/personal bias then that can be hard, but it doesn’t impact the actual likelihood of acceptance otherwise.
 
Admissions doesn’t weigh in-person more than online interviews. Lots of factors can go into why someone can’t show up in-person, so not fair to consider that.

Also the admissions committee won’t meet this week due to the holiday.
When the committee does meet, will it just be for the earlier interviews or all interviews that have taken place up to this date?
 
When the committee does meet, will it just be for the earlier interviews or all interviews that have taken place up to this date?

We try to get through as many as we can at once, we hope to have this past week’s interviews know by late this year/early next year. Admissions committee members include faculty and alumni, so getting everyone together (off clinics) can be hard- we understand it’s frustrating and scary! We promise if we could speed through we would, but we also want to make sure we are giving every applicant the consideration and time you deserve.
 
We try to get through as many as we can at once, we hope to have this past week’s interviews know by late this year/early next year. Admissions committee members include faculty and alumni, so getting everyone together (off clinics) can be hard- we understand it’s frustrating and scary! We promise if we could speed through we would, but we also want to make sure we are giving every applicant the consideration and time you deserve.
Thank you for replying to our questions and giving us some reassurance! It is nice to know that admissions will not be making any decisions this week. It gives me some much needed time to enjoy the holidays with my friends and family!
 
So much for not making decisions this week. Got my rejection letter today. Best of luck to the rest of you all 🫡
Committee didn’t meet this week for decisions. That being said, I unfortunately don’t know when those decisions get dispersed.

Definitely stay positive and focus on time with family and friends this week. Scary vet school stuff will be there after and you deserve decompression. You will make it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how many people they usually ask to interview compared to the usual class size?
According to MEDCMP: Total 1,574 applicants applied to Midwestern University College of Veterinary Medicine and 424 were accepted or invited to interview. The class size was 134. It's a very recent article that has this information (school profile), so my guess this is for 2023.
 
I interviewed November 7th - I wonder when we can expect decisions to be released. I am definitely feeling the nerves.
 
Hey everyone 2nd time applying but 1st time applying to Midwestern… I was put on the interview waitlist on Sep 17. I was wondering if this is like a “Eh the application was okay put it on the interview waitlist” type thing. I asked when I could potentially be pulled off and the admissions office said the latest I would hear back is March. Does anyone know more about the interview waitlist? Is it a definitive “no” or does it depend upon people decline their offers?
 
Hey everyone 2nd time applying but 1st time applying to Midwestern… I was put on the interview waitlist on Sep 17. I was wondering if this is like a “Eh the application was okay put it on the interview waitlist” type thing. I asked when I could potentially be pulled off and the admissions office said the latest I would hear back is March. Does anyone know more about the interview waitlist? Is it a definitive “no” or does it depend upon people decline their offers?

I was also placed on the waitlist on Sept 17th. From what i’ve read online, the waitlist is similar to Kansas State’s where if somebody declines their offer it may be extended to you. From what I can see online, not many people get off of the waitlist but it is possible.
 
I hope so 🥺
I believe the folks that interviewed already are still waiting. I believe interviews were held virtually in October (31st) and in person in November (12th, 19th). I think these were the dates. There were some yesterday too. I wonder if MU will release in batches based on each pool or in a larger number. Rolling admissions, you never know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe the folks that interviewed already are still waiting. I believe interviews were held virtually in October (31st) and in person in November (12th, 19th). I think these were the dates. There were some yesterday too. I wonder if MU will release in batches based on each pool or in a larger number. Rolling admissions, you never know.
Tomorrow marks 4 weeks from my interview day, I’m sure decisions are coming really soon!
 
I believe the folks that interviewed already are still waiting. I believe interviews were held virtually in October (31st) and in person in November (12th, 19th). I think these were the dates. There were some yesterday too. I wonder if MU will release in batches based on each pool or in a larger number. Rolling admissions, you never know.
I interviewed virtually on November 7th so it will be four weeks for me this Thursday. When I interviewed, I remember someone briefly saying we can expect results early to mid-December or within 2-3 weeks.
 
Last edited:
I interviewed virtually on November 7th so it will be three weeks for me this Thursday. When I interviewed, I remember someone briefly saying we can expect results early to mid-December or within 2-3 weeks.
So there are now applicants in the waiting game from the 28th, 7th, 12th (if there was one on this day), 19th, and 3rd. More the merrier I guess. 😛
 
So there are now applicants in the waiting game from the 28th, 7th, 12th (if there was one on this day), 19th, and 3rd. More the merrier I guess. 😛
Yesss! I hope all of us get the news we are hoping for. I do wonder if anyone who interviewed with the first batch has reached out since its passed 1 months since they interviewed? I remember admissions saying that if we haven't heard back by week 4 that we could reach out? I am sure its a really busy time for everyone right now, especially for the admissions team so I don't want to overwhelm them by reaching out lol
 
Yesss! I hope all of us get the news we are hoping for. I do wonder if anyone who interviewed with the first batch has reached out since its passed 1 months since they interviewed? I remember admissions saying that if we haven't heard back by week 4 that we could reach out? I am sure its a really busy time for everyone right now, especially for the admissions team so I don't want to overwhelm them by reaching out lol
Yeah, i interviewed 10/28, but I don’t think i’ll reach out because it seems no one else has heard back so i don’t wanna be annoying lol
 
Yeah, i interviewed 10/28, but I don’t think i’ll reach out because it seems no one else has heard back so i don’t wanna be annoying lol
I'm not feeling it today. I think they would have started rolling out by now. Oh well. One can hope.
 
That's fair! I am hesitant to reach out as well. But I am definitely really excited and nervous to hear back...
It's tough when you feel that decisions could be any moment. It would be a lot less stressful if they just stated that decisions come out on "X" date. I know it's a pipe dream, but I think it would be less anxiety. However, RA's are good in a way as they tend to come out sooner. 🙂
 
It's tough when you feel that decisions could be any moment. It would be a lot less stressful if they just stated that decisions come out on "X" date. I know it's a pipe dream, but I think it would be less anxiety. However, RA's are good in a way as they tend to come out sooner. 🙂
But definitely tomorrow, right? 🥺
 
Don't see it happening, unfortunately. I'm going with 3rd week of December. I do hope, with 100% accuracy, I am wrong and it is this week.
Yeah. It's very frustrating that a lot of schools this cycle say a certain timeframe for things and then they don't follow it. I understand they are busy, but more communication would be nice. I think I'll give them an email since they did say to reach out if its been past one month; I'm getting antsy lol
 
Yeah. It's very frustrating that a lot of schools this cycle say a certain timeframe for things and then they don't follow it. I understand they are busy, but more communication would be nice. I think I'll give them an email since they did say to reach out if its been past one month; I'm getting antsy lol
Keep us posted if you hear back. We're all at the edge of our seats here. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I asked for an updated timeline on when we should hear back about interview results since it's been over a month, and they said: "Your application status has not changed. If there are any changes to your application status, you will be notified via email and through your student portal." ...very helpful lmao
I'm still leaning towards the 3rd week of December, if not the first week of January.
 
1733424429835.png