Midwestern C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, has anyone used uber when they went for their interview? I drove there last time but I'll be flying there this time so just wondering. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Be super relaxed! I know this will initially seem hard to do. I'm a super anxious person and within meeting my two interviewers I immediately calmed down. They want to know about you and your experiences, not your academic record (which in my case, saved my butt). They'll ask you what you think you should do in certain situations, aspects of a good vet, etc. Take a deep breath, and think about the question for a minute or two, they want you to be comfortable and give thoughtful responses. Also, at the end they ask you if you have any questions for them and you should definitely have at least two!! They LOVE when you ask thought-provoking questions. I asked "if you had to leave academia, would you open your own practice, or become an associate vet, and why?" Both my interviewers had to think about the questions for a few minutes before answering.

P.S. Dress nice I would wore a suit and tie; some people wore business casual, but I would not suggest that.

I interviewed in Sept, and got accepted a week later--let me know if you have more questions :)

This is soooo helpful! thank you so much!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, has anyone used uber when they went for their interview? I drove there last time but I'll be flying there this time so just wondering. Thanks!
I thought ubering would be more cost effective than renting a car... but when I got here, I don’t think it would have been. Phoenix is a pretty large town and if you want to hike or do anything besides sit in a hotel room and go to interview and back; I highly recommend renting a car if possible. I’m really glad I did! I feel like I really got to experience more of the city and hike and eat at further restaurants than one right next to the hotel. This gave me more of a chance to make sure Phoenix would be a good fit!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I rented a car and it was the best decision! Go to Sedona if you can!

Honestly, after seeing the campus and meeting the faculty, and seeing how amazing their curriculum is.. Midwestern has become my #1 choice. You owe it to yourself to see how amazing this school is if you have the opportunity, and Arizona is perfect!

Reactions: 5 users
Honestly, after seeing the campus and meeting the faculty, and seeing how amazing their curriculum is.. Midwestern has become my #1 choice. You owe it to yourself to see how amazing this school is if you have the opportunity, and Arizona is perfect!
I was really impressed Too!

If you do end up renting a car make sure you use the discount code for Midwestern. If you can’t find it, I’m sure they will give it to you again. Every dollar counts!

If you do end up renting a car make sure you use the discount code for Midwestern. If you can’t find it, I’m sure they will give it to you again. Every dollar counts!
There's a discount code?! I did not know. Where can I look for it?

Just found it lol thanks!!!

There's a discount code?! I did not know. Where can I look for it?
Last year it came in my interview information. They had some hotel recommendations and discounts for them too. It was a link in my interview invitation email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing 1/24?

2nd time applying to vet school.

I live in AZ and have been to Midwestern’s open house.

1st round-all rejections
2nd round- Just put on an alternate list for Western in Pomona, Waiting to hear from Penn. All my other schools were rejections.

So I’m down to 3 schools.

Does anyone know when we will know if they got accredited. I know it depends on the NAVLE but when is their pass rate public?

Does anyone know when we will know if they got accredited. I know it depends on the NAVLE but when is their pass rate public?
They
Once they have their first graduating clas they should be fully accredited. That’s coming up. They are partially accredited and considered in good standing.

They

Once they have their first graduating clas they should be fully accredited. That’s coming up. They are partially accredited and considered in good standing.
They need to have at least 80% of the graduating class pass the NAVLE. I know they are on track to but I was just wondering if we’d know their pass rate before April.

They need to have at least 80% of the graduating class pass the NAVLE. I know they are on track to but I was just wondering if we’d know their pass rate before April.
We (4th year students) haven't received our scores yet. We should know by early next week. When applying for the NAVLE we were asked to select the option in which our scores are sent to our administration. So I'm guessing once they receive our scores and know the pass rate they will share that information. From day one the college has been extremely transparent with all information about our accreditation status.

Reactions: 2 users
We (4th year students) haven't received our scores yet. We should know by early next week. When applying for the NAVLE we were asked to select the option in which our scores are sent to our administration. So I'm guessing once they receive our scores and know the pass rate they will share that information. From day one the college has been extremely transparent with all information about our accreditation status.

Thank you for the response! I really loved the school just was wondering.

For anyone still waiting for an interview, I just withdrew mine. I got accepted to my IS school, I wish everyone good luck! Don't loose hope

Reactions: 7 users
Quick questions for those who have applied to MWU or are applying right now:
  • Did you answer the 'how did you hear about us' prompt in an essay format? Or just a few sentences?
  • Does anyone know if eLORs are required if you are applying directly from MWU's portal?
I was wondering about that first question too. They had asked us how we heard about them in a previous page so I was assuming probably as essay but I have no idea what I could possibly write about how I heard about them in 500 words. Did you decide how you were going to respond to that prompt?

I have my interview tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what the experience/day was like? Thanks!!!

I have my interview tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what the experience/day was like? Thanks!!!
The interview was very casual, all the professors interviewing were welcoming and great! There will be a lot of waiting around in the morning so feel free to talk with other intervieweers or any students or faculty! Your split into groups so one group will do a campus tour and the second group will start their interviews. In the afternoon everyone went on a tour of the animal clinic after lunch. I interviewed on the 10th of this month. Good luck you will do great!

The interview was very casual, all the professors interviewing were welcoming and great! There will be a lot of waiting around in the morning so feel free to talk with other intervieweers or any students or faculty! Your split into groups so one group will do a campus tour and the second group will start their interviews. In the afternoon everyone went on a tour of the animal clinic after lunch. I interviewed on the 10th of this month. Good luck you will do great!
Thanks so much! Fingers crossed for you :)

Long time lurker- first time posting. I interviewed on 1/10 and I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about being accepted or not. I know it's only been two weeks but the waiting is killing me. Does anyone know when the admissions committee will be meeting?

Long time lurker- first time posting. I interviewed on 1/10 and I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about being accepted or not. I know it's only been two weeks but the waiting is killing me. Does anyone know when the admissions committee will be meeting?
I interview tomorrow 1/24 and last year they told me I had a pending invitation to interview in November but by mid-April I had to ask them my status (rejected) and officially they didn’t send an email out saying they were done with interviews until either just before or just after the new round of applications on VMCAS started. I think because they have rolling applications (you can apply directly through the school not just through VMCAS) they do it differently. I know this doesn’t answer your question directly but I thought you might like to know they are still interviewing.

When I interviewed last week, they said the committee would be meeting Monday (yesterday)!

When I interviewed last week, they said the committee would be meeting Monday (yesterday)!
Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I hope they did meet yesterday. Have you seen any changes on your portal today?

I hope your interview went well! Did they happen to ask you any questions about current veterinary issues or recent veterinary legislation?

I hope your interview went well! Did they happen to ask you any questions about current veterinary issues or recent veterinary legislation?
Yes, they asked me what issues veterinarians face today!

Has anyone that has interviewed recently heard anything?
Nothing yet. When I called on Tuesday they said the committee hasn't met yet and they had no plans to meet for the next two weeks. I'm not sure if that's changed by now, but I hope the admissions committee either schedules a meeting soon or has an unplanned meeting.

I just called and I've been placed on the alternate list. Did you get accepted?

Congrats on being on the alternate list! I'm there too right now
In case they didn't let you know, they don't have a ranking for their alternates; they will review the files all at once after the official acceptance date has passed. Last year it was early May, and they can continue to offer seats until August! Best of luck!

Congrats on being on the alternate list! I'm there too right now
In case they didn't let you know, they don't have a ranking for their alternates; they will review the files all at once after the official acceptance date has passed. Last year it was early May, and they can continue to offer seats until August! Best of luck!
Thank you!! Although now it feels like the stress is really on hahah. Thanks for letting me know, I didn't know that before! Do you know if it hinders my application and reduces my chances of acceptance if I still have one math credit to finish (which I am completing right now in my last semester of undergrad)? Best of luck to you too!

still waiting on an interview notification. starting to think my chances are slim to none at this point.

still waiting on an interview notification. starting to think my chances are slim to none at this point.

Same. Were you put on the interview waitlist?

omg..i think i got accepted,but not sure. I didn't get an email but my MWU portal changed and I have 'accepted student checklist" and an option to accept or decline the acceptance... anyone on the same page as me?

omg..i think i got accepted,but not sure. I didn't get an email but my MWU portal changed and I have 'accepted student checklist" and an option to accept or decline the acceptance... anyone on the same page as me?
Congrats! From what I've heard that means you're in!!!

Totally not jealous

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Congrats!!

Thank you!! Although now it feels like the stress is really on hahah. Thanks for letting me know, I didn't know that before! Do you know if it hinders my application and reduces my chances of acceptance if I still have one math credit to finish (which I am completing right now in my last semester of undergrad)? Best of luck to you too!

Lol, it does NOT hinder or reduce your chance of getting accepted. I had ochem 2 & biochem pending in the spring semester last yea and I got in. Make sure you send your unofficial transcripts for any classes you took last semester. You can send full official transcripts after you finish this year. The administrative staff is great about updating your file with current info when you send it :)

I applied as a sophomore, so I am still finishing up ochem2/biochem! And as liquid_phoenix stated she has personal experience with such!
Midwestern 4th yrs/some faculty I've spoken to as well have given similar answers in regards to it not affecting your chances of getting in!
I've been emailing them with any updates to work/extracurricular activities, sent in transcript for the fall semester, and I get replies back letting me know my file has been updated!

Portal updated and I have the accepted student checklist!!! :)

I just called and I've been placed on the alternate list. Did you get accepted?
yes my portal updated this afternoon! But congrats for getting onto the alternate list :) i wish you the best of luck :)

Lol, it does NOT hinder or reduce your chance of getting accepted. I had ochem 2 & biochem pending in the spring semester last yea and I got in. Make sure you send your unofficial transcripts for any classes you took last semester. You can send full official transcripts after you finish this year. The administrative staff is great about updating your file with current info when you send it :)
Thank you for letting me know! I'm super relived to hear it doesn't hinder my chances! That's awesome to hear you got in when you had a couple classes pending- thank you for sharing that! Also, thank you for the tip to update my file with my unofficial transcript- I hadn't thought of doing that before so thanks for that advice :) It's really nice that the administrative staff is so helpful. When were you pulled off of the waitlist and accepted into the program?

I applied as a sophomore, so I am still finishing up ochem2/biochem! And as liquid_phoenix stated she has personal experience with such!
Midwestern 4th yrs/some faculty I've spoken to as well have given similar answers in regards to it not affecting your chances of getting in!
I've been emailing them with any updates to work/extracurricular activities, sent in transcript for the fall semester, and I get replies back letting me know my file has been updated!
I'm so glad to hear there's someone else in the same boat as me and that we both still have a chance :) It's great to see others have had the same experiences and prove that it's possible to still get in. That's so great to hear that you've heard from students and faculty that it won't affect our chances of admittance! Thanks for letting me know- I was able to email someone at admissions and update my file over the weekend with extra info so hopefully that helps!