-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Mississippi State U CVM
Started by ImaJerseyGirl
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I wore jeans, scrub top, and my grey hoodie to the pizza party. Honestly, I think it's rather silly to dress up for a freakin' pizza party.
Were you too under-dressed? Or were there other people in jeans?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Were you too under-dressed? Or were there other people in jeans?
Considering it was supposed to be casual, I'd say most people were way overdressed. There were a few guys who actually wore suits to the casual pizza party! Sorry, but that's just not me (plus, there was no one to try to impress at the pizza party).
You guys will absolutely be FINE in jeans! I remember wearing a cute little jeans and sweater combo, and feeling dressed at the same level as almost everyone else. Why be uncomfortable for the pizza party and tour, when you're likely going to be uncomfy-ish in your suit/business attire the next day for your interview... when you have to wear it at least half of the day, and be critiqued on how you look. No one will judge you on what you're wearing to the pizza party, so anything that is clean and you would wear into public (for the most part!) should be fine =)
You guys will absolutely be FINE in jeans! I remember wearing a cute little jeans and sweater combo, and feeling dressed at the same level as almost everyone else. Why be uncomfortable for the pizza party and tour, when you're likely going to be uncomfy-ish in your suit/business attire the next day for your interview... when you have to wear it at least half of the day, and be critiqued on how you look. No one will judge you on what you're wearing to the pizza party, so anything that is clean and you would wear into public (for the most part!) should be fine =)
Thank you!!!!
Recommendations on places to eat?
I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Starkville, so close to that would be awesome.
Mexican, BBQ, anything but sushi really, as long as it's cheap 🙂
I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Starkville, so close to that would be awesome.
Mexican, BBQ, anything but sushi really, as long as it's cheap 🙂
Recommendations on places to eat?
I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Starkville, so close to that would be awesome.
Mexican, BBQ, anything but sushi really, as long as it's cheap 🙂
Not sure which one the Hampton Inn is, but if it is the one i am thinking of, there is a mexina place called, well, damn if I can remember the name, its just 'mexican' - Garabaldies, or something like that. Starkville is a college town, so we have 4 mexican places within 2 miles of eachother. Everything is close (10 min drive), but nothing within walking distance of the school.
And I definetly recommend Little Deweys for BBQ.
Garibaldi's is right across the street from the Hampton Inn, although someone mentioned they thought it was closed down recently? (not certain, and although I pass it every day I haven't bothered to check!)
There's also a Little Caesars and Chinese Buffet in walking distance to the Hampton Inn, but neither of those are spectacular.
I prefer Mexican from Mexico Tipico, which is just down the street (Hwy 12), across from Piggly Wiggly... the salsa is good and the prices are super cheap.
Tucked up near the main university are good college finds, like City Bagel. Stromboli's has my vote for best pizza in town, Umi's best (almost only) Japanese/sushi, and I second Little Deweys for BBQ, although they just opened Three Little Pigs BBQ on Ave of Patriots & Hwy 12 and I thought it was pretty good too!
Also if your parents/mentor/new friends want to take you somewhere a bit nicer, the Veranda is just around the corner from the vet school with yummy (sometimes overpriced) eats.
Oh, and you could probably walk over to Shipley's donuts in the morning, YUM 😍
Sorry, this post is way longer than I planned, I always get carried away when talking about food 😳
There's also a Little Caesars and Chinese Buffet in walking distance to the Hampton Inn, but neither of those are spectacular.
I prefer Mexican from Mexico Tipico, which is just down the street (Hwy 12), across from Piggly Wiggly... the salsa is good and the prices are super cheap.
Tucked up near the main university are good college finds, like City Bagel. Stromboli's has my vote for best pizza in town, Umi's best (almost only) Japanese/sushi, and I second Little Deweys for BBQ, although they just opened Three Little Pigs BBQ on Ave of Patriots & Hwy 12 and I thought it was pretty good too!
Also if your parents/mentor/new friends want to take you somewhere a bit nicer, the Veranda is just around the corner from the vet school with yummy (sometimes overpriced) eats.
Oh, and you could probably walk over to Shipley's donuts in the morning, YUM 😍
Sorry, this post is way longer than I planned, I always get carried away when talking about food 😳
OK, I'm here!
Have to say, I'm surprised at how many stores/places to eat/etc there are.
That probably doesn't say much about the hick college town that I'm living in now, but there are about 100x the restaurants, etc. My town doesn't have a walmart, or a lowes, or even a drug store! There's one pizza place, a mcdonalds, and three bars...woo hoo, go New Hampshire!
Anyway, I explored a little bit already and am pleasantly surprised by the town itself, and this weather is awesome! It was -7 degrees out when I left my house at 4:30 this AM, and now I'm in a t-shirt!
Looking forward to meeting some/all of you at the pizza party later, and if anyone is around and bored before then, pop me a message!
Have to say, I'm surprised at how many stores/places to eat/etc there are.
That probably doesn't say much about the hick college town that I'm living in now, but there are about 100x the restaurants, etc. My town doesn't have a walmart, or a lowes, or even a drug store! There's one pizza place, a mcdonalds, and three bars...woo hoo, go New Hampshire!
Anyway, I explored a little bit already and am pleasantly surprised by the town itself, and this weather is awesome! It was -7 degrees out when I left my house at 4:30 this AM, and now I'm in a t-shirt!
Looking forward to meeting some/all of you at the pizza party later, and if anyone is around and bored before then, pop me a message!
Hello!
I'm flying in tomorrow for my Tuesday interview. I too will be really bored if anyone wants to hang out or go to one of the mexican places together??? PM Me!!!!
I'm flying in tomorrow for my Tuesday interview. I too will be really bored if anyone wants to hang out or go to one of the mexican places together??? PM Me!!!!
I will be at the pizza party! I have long brown hair/blue eyes/freckles... and I'll be with my boyfriend (hopefully! Lost premieres that night and its killing him to miss it). He is more recognizable since he is Nicaraguan with very curly dark hair.
so I'd be up to meet some of you on Tuesday night!
so I'd be up to meet some of you on Tuesday night!
I'll be there! Tall, short blond hair, green short sleeved sweater and yellow scarf!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
psst! for those of you who have already interviewed, I don't see any new interview feedback! Help a girl out! 😉
psst! for those of you who have already interviewed, I don't see any new interview feedback! Help a girl out! 😉
Don't feel like filling out now. I really don't think the interview went all that well, but I did write all the questions down if anyone wants to PM me for them.
I was actually more impressed with the school than I expected to be. The weather is a nice vacay from home. Towns got lots of places to eat. Hotel has a gym. I can't complain too much about all that.
Personality wise, my interviewers were great. I didn't think Miss. did a good job of matching interviewers and interviewees though (They said they tried to match??)-- I had people with public health/research backgrounds. So pretty much all of my questions had to do with one of those two things, and I have ZERO experience in either field. I was told the interview would be "conversational" and based entirely off of things in my application, and I didn't feel like that was the case at all. I laughed a lot at some of their stories, and was able to tell a few of my own, but felt a little overwhelmed...I was able to answer the questions, but still, it was stressful!
Most of the people I talked to didn't have that problem at all--they all had a least one small/equine/food practicioner in the room with them.
Anyway, other than the iffy interview, I had a good time. I was surprised I liked the school, no major red flags for me. Dress code is blah, but I can deal with that. Own desks is a plus, 2+2 is a huge plus. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.
They're interviewing 225, they said, and we should hear by the end of Feb at the absolute latest.
Good luck to all of you tomorrow, and I hope your interviews go well. I think I did =okay= it just wasn't what I was expecting, so don't freak out too much thinking it's insanely hard!
Feel free to PM with any questions--I'll be on and off, just chilling in the hotel room with a bottle of wine 🙂
I didn't think Miss. did a good job of matching interviewers and interviewees though (They said they tried to match??)-- I had people with public health/research backgrounds.
I've never heard that - I always assumed your placement with the interview comittee was random. They do try to have a wide range of interviewers (as wide as possible with only 3 people), and I am surprised you didn't have a small or large animal vet. I think i know your team, was one of them a member of the MS departement of health?
Good luck to you! Hopefully you get the good news!
I've never heard that - I always assumed your placement with the interview comittee was random. They do try to have a wide range of interviewers (as wide as possible with only 3 people), and I am surprised you didn't have a small or large animal vet. I think i know your team, was one of them a member of the MS departement of health?
Good luck to you! Hopefully you get the good news!
Yup, that team.
Missy made a point of saying before we went in that they matched applicants to interviewers based on interest. I guess with 60+ people interviewing in a day that can be tough with only 8 teams, but I was little disappointed in that. It would have been better if she hadn't said anything so I wasn't expecting otherwise. I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping for the best though. I had a good time laughing, etc, with the three of them, so no issue there. I just don't like not knowing answers 👎
Dress code is blah, but I can deal with that. Own desks is a plus, 2+2 is a huge plus.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not a fancy dresser, so that will take a bit of getting used to if I get in. And yea, I was impressed with the MDL and how we get our own desk. The 2+2 curriculum is what makes MSU stand out over UGA (my previous #1 school).
What is the 2+2 curriculum?
Two years in the classroom, learning the basics, and then two years of clinicals and rotations instead of just one year. You also start surgery in your second year.
Yeah, I'm starting to get really nervous...
Both my interviews so far have been decent, but I have no idea how they perceived them, you know? ugh
hopefully we are just our own worst critics!
Both my interviews so far have been decent, but I have no idea how they perceived them, you know? ugh
hopefully we are just our own worst critics!
I just wanted to tell you all how much I loved MSU. The facilities are fantastic and the faculty are all incredibly friendly. You'll have a wonderful time!!! Good luck!!!
We didn't find out our specific times until the pizza party. They'll have a list posted so you can look it up.
Does anyone know how we find out our interview times if we don't attend the pizza party?
Also, is the mandatory orientation strictly for interviewees or did anyone bring guests? Just curious.
Thanks!
You will get a packet at orientation and it will have your interview time. (p.s. it's in alphabetical order starting with last name "H"... I'm a "J" and I'm at 2 o'clock so that should give you an idea)
and she said guests are definitely welcome for orientation!
and she said guests are definitely welcome for orientation!
Wonderful. Thanks for the info! I have my interview on Thursday. Hopefully, it will be a good experience. ^_^
Also, is the mandatory orientation strictly for interviewees or did anyone bring guests? Just curious.
You can bring others to the orientation, but they will have to sit at the back of the auditorium. All the interviewees will be down front.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't even tell you how jealous I am of all of you right now, especially after hearing all the great things said about the facilities and the school in general. I received an interview invite, but I sadly had to turn it down due to unforeseen life issues that made it difficult to pay for my mississippi interview and my iowa interview this weekend. I had to make a choice between the two, and times like this make me begin to think of the "what if" type of scenarios.
Anyway, I'm proud of all of you that received invites. hopefully one of you was able to take my interview spot and inch ever closer to that acceptance letter. Good luck everyone, I'm glad to hear everyone liked the school, in general. I'm a new yorker, but the state and the school have a certain allure that I couldn't pass up when I applied.
Anyway, I'm proud of all of you that received invites. hopefully one of you was able to take my interview spot and inch ever closer to that acceptance letter. Good luck everyone, I'm glad to hear everyone liked the school, in general. I'm a new yorker, but the state and the school have a certain allure that I couldn't pass up when I applied.
For those of you interviewing tomorrow you got lucky because me and someone else filled out new interview feedback, so be sure to check it out! 😉
Good luck everyone!!!
Good luck everyone!!!

Did anyone else notice how few hours they make you take at one time? One semester it was only 17 hours! I really think this school will not be nearly as stressful as others. Oh and I just completed my interview feedback too. They asked me really really easy questions...and fun ones too!! They asked me if I could meet any person in the world, living or dead, who would it be? They also asked me interesting things like where is the coolest place you've gone fishing. In comparison to my ohio interview, it was so relaxing
p.s. it was nice to meet you luplodw!! glad to hear the interview went well!
They asked me really really easy questions...and fun ones too!! They asked me if I could meet any person in the world, living or dead, who would it be? They also asked me interesting things like where is the coolest place you've gone fishing. In comparison to my ohio interview, it was so relaxing
i guess they really didn't like me. I had a strange dream last night about the school.... They called me at 3 in the morning to Accept me, except it was only march and they wanted me to pay my tuition in full the next dayin cash, and when I said "but I'm still waiting to hear from schools," they said something like "oh there was a giant hurricane and there no otherschools left,they all blew away"
it was wierd and I almost started crying because I didn't have that much money in cash
I also withdrew my application after getting accepted to Penn. Tuition at the two schools would be about the same for me, but MS State would be much further from home so I knew I would stick with Penn if it came to just those two acceptances. I've still been keeping up with this thread, and I LOVE hearing about what great experiences most of you have had there. Crossing my fingers for each and every one of you!!!
And cowgirla, try not to stress! Just because you didn't feel great after your interview, doesn't mean the interviewers felt the same way. I'm hoping for some great news coming your way soon!!! 🙂
And cowgirla, try not to stress! Just because you didn't feel great after your interview, doesn't mean the interviewers felt the same way. I'm hoping for some great news coming your way soon!!! 🙂
I really think this school will not be nearly as stressful as others.
Lol. (Wait till fall semester, sophomore year... 😱 )
Freshman year I think is on par with most other schools... I seemed equally as busy and stressed as my friends at NCSU and Davis. Sophomore year is a little crazy, considering the 2+2 curriculum, I feel like they attempt to cram even more info into your poor, hurting brain than at other schools, because you're expected to roll straight into clinics at the end of that year. That's not to say I don't recommend it though... I've loved being on clinics this year rather than sitting in class!
I'm glad you are all forming a positive impression of the school. I knew nothing of this state or the school before interviewing, and they totally won me over when I came to visit.
Good luck to everyone! (If a stressed out gal in scrubs and a tan labcoat runs you over in attempt to get to the snack machine late in the afternoon, it might just be me 😀 )
Does anyone have any inside information about when they will make decisions?
They told us that they'd try to have acceptance letters (and phone calls) sent by mid-February, end of February at the latest.
It looks like from last years thread people started to get acceptances around 2/24 and at least one person was accepted off the wait list in July, but....I was thinking that since they are planning to start classes July 1 this year, they just might want to finalize the class even earlier this year to accommodate for the early start...just seems like that would make sense. I thought all my anxiety would end after the interview, but boy was I wrong. The waiting is the hardest part!

According to the acceptances thread... someone was called today!!! Anyone else?!
I'm a major creeper but that person who got accepted (ahem 3Ms) interviewed on the 4th, so the last day.... so it's obviously not by interview day 😕
i'm so curious! 3Ms tell us some more details!!
i'm so curious! 3Ms tell us some more details!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha i'm sorry i didn't see posts in this thread. I'm not totally sure what time I got my call, but an hour or two ago would be a good guess. My phone won't tell me the time (or it just won't show me because I'm technologically challenged). what questions do you have? I interviewed at 12pm on the last interview day...
I got a voicemail from Missy at 5pm!
C!!!! She just called back!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 483
- Views
- 66K
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 917
- Views
- 122K