Missouri c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey tour people...I hear there's good food upstairs this weekend . If you slip something in your pocket and bring it down to your friendly equine intern I wouldn't complain ;)

JK...enjoy Mizzou guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be there Sunday helping out if anyone wants to find me. The one with the purple hair. Good luck to all interviewing!

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be there Sunday helping out if anyone wants to find me. The one with the purple hair. Good luck to all interviewing!

Where have you been??? I haven't seen you at all.

@Kpowell14 has been missing from my life as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone who's interviewing this weekend! Be on the lookout for the short brown-haired girl skipping around with a Pokéball necklace. She's a totally awesome person and is totally not (but absolutely yes) @Ashgirl . Again, she will be skipping, all day erry day.
Hey I'm not shor... well okay, maybe I am. She is right though, I will be helping out at interviews this weekend, so don't be afraid to come say hi!!! :D

Goodluck to everyone interviewing this weekend! :luck:

In hiding ;) lol kinda. Pretty busy and also preoccupied lately with finally a good reason. We should definitely get dinner or something sometime, though!

Ill be helping on Sunday as well!! I dont really have any defining features.. besides being pretty awesome ;) but really, I have medium length brown hair and freckles lol - Im also one of the few married gals so that might help too lol

And @shortnsweet , we need to get together ASAP before I get lost in the books this block!!! The hubs will be moving to COMO this month so maybe we can go on a double date!!!

What an amazing day interviewing at Mizzou! The actual interview was very relaxed and friendly and the time flew by. All of the student ambassadors were so helpful and informative! And I loved my tour of the vet school and teaching hospital! Kathy Seay said she would have final decisions out by February 1 at the very latest, but earlier if everyone gets their GRE and fall grades in - so hurry up people! ;) Good luck to all!

Reactions: 5 users
I enjoyed meeting everyone at interviews today! Hopefully you all had fun and it wasn't too stressful!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to those of you who still have interviews! @schnauzergirl and I had a great time chatting with everyone today! I'll be helping again tomorrow and both days next weekend as well. I don't have any defining characteristics, but try to mention SDN and I'll respond. :)

Good Luck to those interviewing today!!! Yesterday seemed to go flawlessly and I know I had blast talking to everyone. If anyone has any other questions about school or the columbia area feel free to PM me. Resident Missourian here and a "townie".

Good Luck to those interviewing today!!! Yesterday seemed to go flawlessly and I know I had blast talking to everyone. If anyone has any other questions about school or the columbia area feel free to PM me. Resident Missourian here and a "townie".

bahahaha just figured out who you are lol-- your profile picture totally gave it away :rofl::rofl::laugh::laugh:

Hey guys, just a quick question about the interview. Should I expect a lot of specific, situational questions? Like asking about a certain disease or diagnosing a patient if they give symptoms? It's not that I'm clueless I'm just worried I'm going to freeze up during the interview and forget everything I know :(

Hey guys, just a quick question about the interview. Should I expect a lot of specific, situational questions? Like asking about a certain disease or diagnosing a patient if they give symptoms? It's not that I'm clueless I'm just worried I'm going to freeze up during the interview and forget everything I know :(
Most questions are either general ("How do you deal with stress?", "What was your hardest class?"), or specific to your application yourself (I was asked about my research project and about a few extracurricular activities that I did). So as long as you know your experiences and be able to say what you got out of them you will be just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like Ashgirl, my interview last year was more focused on myself, my application and my experiences. I only had a few knowledge-based questions -- one on current events, one about something basic from a class I had taken, and one about what a certain test is for in horses. They aren't trying to stump you, but if they do ask you something you don't know, it's better to admit it and say something like "but I look forward to learning about that" or "I'll look that up when I get home" rather than making something up or guessing. They don't expect you to even begin to be able to diagnose patients at this point! If you are caught off guard by a question, don't be afraid to take a second to collect your thoughts before answering. :)

Does anybody want to get dinner Friday night? I will be traveling by myself to interview Saturday morning. Anybody have good recommendations for places to eat?

Does anybody want to get dinner Friday night? I will be traveling by myself to interview Saturday morning. Anybody have good recommendations for places to eat?
I interviewed last weekend and ate at Flat Branch, which was fantastic! Granted, it was the only Columbia restaurant I went to, but it was my favorite! ;)

I don't have any plans except to study Friday night, so I'd be down to go eat somewhere. I know @Rainheart loves her Las Margs, but after this past weekend, I think that margarita was big enough to last me this entire block. @Ashgirl @schnauzergirl @Kpowell14 ...anyone else free?

I don't have any plans except to study Friday night, so I'd be down to go eat somewhere. I know @Rainheart loves her Las Margs, but after this past weekend, I think that margarita was big enough to last me this entire block. @Ashgirl @schnauzergirl @Kpowell14 ...anyone else free?
Sure, I would be up for a dinner get-together with some applicants :)

I'm not great about checking SDN anymore, but I would be available Friday as well.

In terms, of food places, I have no idea what's good in Missouri so you guys must let me know! Heads up also, I will probably sleep early like a grandma so I can wake up early for the interview.

QUESTION!!! The Missouri website doesn't provide that much information about the DVM program so I need to know, why did you guys choose Missouri? What is special about Missouri's DVM program?

In terms, of food places, I have no idea what's good in Missouri so you guys must let me know! Heads up also, I will probably sleep early like a grandma so I can wake up early for the interview.

QUESTION!!! The Missouri website doesn't provide that much information about the DVM program so I need to know, why did you guys choose Missouri? What is special about Missouri's DVM program?
You will be absolutely bombarded with a few of these reasons this weekend, but some people pick Mizzou because:

1) 2+2 Program. We have 2 years of class, and two years (starting in Oct. third year) of clinics. The extra year of clinics is really really nice, and I've even heard several employers love the fact that we get more hands-on time. The downside to this? We only get 6 weeks of summer after 1st and 2nd year, which can be hard when you are used to 12-14 week summers.
2) Switching Residency. OOS students can switch to IS residency after their first year, and I've heard it's not hard to do at all (most people who try to do it get it without any problems).
3) Atmosphere/Fit. Mizzou is my IS, though I'm that stubborn person that was determined to go somewhere else (I wasn't even going to go to my interview at first). However, when I came here the atmosphere/professors/students really blew me away, which finally persuaded me to matriculate here. You could tell everyone really loved their school, and the professors seemed amazing (this is still 100% true, they will bend over backwards for you in order to help you out).

Last edited:

If you go to this link and click on "College Catalog" on the right side of the page, that pdf gives a good overview of Mizzou's program as well as other helpful info about the area in general. I skimmed it prior to my interview so I knew a bit about the school since I knew absolutely nothing.

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/current.htm

If you look earlier in the thread I wrote a pretty detailed post on places to eat.

Anyone who wants to meet up for dinner tonight, a group of us are meeting at Flat Branch downtown at 6:30. Everyone's welcome! @Ashgirl @schnauzergirl @cowdoctr @ifalloverstuff @Rainheart

Anyone who wants to meet up for dinner tonight, a group of us are meeting at Flat Branch downtown at 6:30. Everyone's welcome! @Ashgirl @schnauzergirl @cowdoctr @ifalloverstuff @Rainheart

Whoever would like to join us tonight, either pm me or @beatles1964 so we can look for you/have a rough estimation of who will be there. Hope to see some of you tonight! :)

Jealous! Wish I had scheduled my interview for this weekend instead! Have fun, everyone! :)
It's pretty hard to plan when everyone is trying to get back into town right after break. But you'll be here in the fall, right? ;)

If you guys are down in equine, stop by and say hi!

I'll be there helping again today! So say hi if you see me (purple streak in my hair, can't miss me!)

FWIW, there were a total of 199 OOS applicants who interviewed this year... for any other nerds like me who like to obsess over vet school acceptance stats :p

FWIW, there were a total of 199 OOS applicants who interviewed this year... for any other nerds like me who like to obsess over vet school acceptance stats :p
Are you sure on that number? Weather was not great during my interview day and multiple people missed their interview according to the ambassadors. But I am a numbers person too, so thanks for the update :p

It was originally around 220 scheduled, so likely 199 is about accurate. Good luck to all!!

Yup, 199. I emailed Kathy on Monday to follow up on something we talked about after my interview, and I asked how many applicants total were interviewed and how (email, letter, portal) we would hear back. Here's her response:

"Final decisions on just how the decisions will go out are yet to be made, last year they were sent by email. I expect to do the same this year, but we haven't really discussed that as yet. We have a dozen GRE's still missing, so trying to get those captured as quickly as possible. The Committee needs atleast a week to finalize their scores in the computer and I'm working fast and furious on the transcripts. I expect decisions to go out by Feb 1st, maybe a few days earlier... but right now I just can say for sure. We had a total of 199 students interviewed this year."

Weather was not great during my interview day and multiple people missed their interview according to the ambassadors.

Yeah, what happens if someone is scheduled on the last day of interviews and misses it?

Yeah, what happens if someone is scheduled on the last day of interviews and misses it?
Well from what I heard, no one actually missed it. Everyone called in ahead of time and cancelled their interview and apologized, but explained that it was due to the weather. As far as I know, it just means that they don't end up getting an interview. But yeah, my day was the last day for OOS.

"Final decisions on just how the decisions will go out are yet to be made, last year they were sent by email. I expect to do the same this year, but we haven't really discussed that as yet. We have a dozen GRE's still missing, so trying to get those captured as quickly as possible. The Committee needs atleast a week to finalize their scores in the computer and I'm working fast and furious on the transcripts. I expect decisions to go out by Feb 1st, maybe a few days earlier... but right now I just can say for sure. We had a total of 199 students interviewed this year."

Hmm, last year they were sent as snail mail packets. She also gave us an estimate of Feb. 1, and mine came Feb. 3.
So not too much longer!

Hmm, last year they were sent as snail mail packets.
Yeah, that's what I thought based off reading the previous year's thread. Strange. Well, whatever form the decision comes in... I just hope it's good news! :)

Yeah, that's what I thought based off reading the previous year's thread. Strange. Well, whatever form the decision comes in... I just hope it's good news! :)
If you guys get decisions by email this year I will be very jealous- I remember stalking the poor mailman for over a week. Then again, refreshing your email every 5 seconds is also painful...

Regardless of how they go out, goodluck everyone! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure out of state gets emails, in-state gets the snail mail. Not 100% sure but that's what I remember from last year.

I just called to get an update of timing of decisions. Kathy said all files are closed, and we should know tomorrow or Thursday. She also confirmed that we will be notified by email.

Reactions: 3 users
I just called to get an update of timing of decisions. Kathy said all files are closed, and we should know tomorrow or Thursday. She also confirmed that we will be notified by email.
Oh my gosh, I'm going to be so distracted at work this week! Hopefully my vet doesn't mind me looking at my phone every 2 seconds! AGHHHHHHHH!!

Good luck guys! I know the waiting is the worst but hopefully good news is on the way!

Reactions: 3 users