Mizzou c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very helpful! Thanks!
I have looked at the Jacobs property, but they have low reviews. So that does scare me! Is it too early to be looking? I want to move in June/July.
It's definitely not too early. Did y'all get added to the accepted students facebook group yet? People will usually look for roommates on there, or post properties that they have lived in/their landlord is posting. I feel like the vast majority of vet students find their housing through there.

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely not too early. Did y'all get added to the accepted students facebook group yet? People will usually look for roommates on there, or post properties that they have lived in/their landlord is posting. I feel like the vast majority of vet students find their housing through there.
I am 99 percent sure I am going to Mizzou. I have an IS interview next week so still waiting on that before I make my official acceptance! I will be moving with my SO so I have roommate position filled:)

Are there any students that can tell us the tuition rates for this year or next? I know the website has some information but it looks like its from 2015-2016. I would be grateful for more up to date information regarding tuition and living expenses, so that I can compare it to my IS school tuition. I am torn between the two, and I know cost will be an important factor. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any students that can tell us the tuition rates for this year or next? I know the website has some information but it looks like its from 2015-2016. I would be grateful for more up to date information regarding tuition and living expenses, so that I can compare it to my IS school tuition. I am torn between the two, and I know cost will be an important factor. Thanks!!
I think it's around 12k a semester IS right now. Not sure about OOS

I feel like I remember hearing that IS tuition is about 25K a semester and OOS was 55K a semester. I loved Mizzou and will be making my final decision once I hear back from my IS Purdue. :)

I feel like I remember hearing that IS tuition is about 25K a semester and OOS was 55K a semester. I loved Mizzou and will be making my final decision once I hear back from my IS Purdue. :)

Those are the rates per year, not semester (thankfully!). The printout they gave at interviews says $25,120 for IS and $54,192 for OOS. Total for four years for OOS (assuming IS tuition after the first year) is $129,552.

It also says they're considering an increase in tuition. If you look on page 25 of the booklet they gave us, it tells you the last few years of tuition, too. Mizzou seems to be increasing their tuition pretty quickly :/ @Tamsin21, I have it right in front of me so let me know if you want any other information from it.

Reactions: 1 users
Those are the rates per year, not semester (thankfully!). The printout they gave at interviews says $25,120 for IS and $54,192 for OOS. Total for four years for OOS (assuming IS tuition after the first year) is $129,552.

It also says they're considering an increase in tuition. If you look on page 25 of the booklet they gave us, it tells you the last few years of tuition, too. Mizzou seems to be increasing their tuition pretty quickly :/ @Tamsin21, I have it right in front of me so let me know if you want any other information from it.
So last year there was this big "Ahhhh they are increasing tuition ahhh!" In reality they have always raised tuition in similar amounts and is the same or less than every other school that is also always raising tuition. Or at least that is what they said last year on the subject.

So last year there was this big "Ahhhh they are increasing tuition ahhh!" In reality they have always raised tuition in similar amounts and is the same or less than every other school that is also always raising tuition. Or at least that is what they said last year on the subject.

So I just did a few calculations, and it looks like for the past two years straight, Missouri has raised OOS tuition by about 2.5% and IS tuition by 5.7%. According to VIN, the average tuition increase is 4.1% per year, so it does look like Mizzou increases it a bit more than most.

Of course Mizzou's tuition is lower than most other schools' so the actual increased dollar amount isn't as much as other schools, but the increase can make a difference- based on figures when I applied, I thought Mizzou OOS would be more affordable than my IS but that's not the case.

Ugh. I've been doing a lot of tuition-based calculations, but it's hard to make my brain conclude anything other than "AAAH BIG SCARY NUMBERS!"

Reactions: 1 user
So I just did a few calculations, and it looks like for the past two years straight, Missouri has raised OOS tuition by about 2.5% and IS tuition by 5.7%. According to VIN, the average tuition increase is 4.1% per year, so it does look like Mizzou increases it a bit more than most.

Of course Mizzou's tuition is lower than most other schools' so the actual increased dollar amount isn't as much as other schools, but the increase can make a difference- based on figures when I applied, I thought Mizzou OOS would be more affordable than my IS but that's not the case.

Ugh. I've been doing a lot of tuition-based calculations, but it's hard to make my brain conclude anything other than "AAAH BIG SCARY NUMBERS!"
Good point!

One other thing to consider would be COA, since living expenses in CoMo is WAYYY lower than places like California, New York, etc. Living in the midwest is super cheap ($400-500 a month for rent, internet, and utilities is easy to find here), so it might level out everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi !! Im new to this forum but I was accepted out of state and I was wondering if any current residents had some recommendations for apartments. Are there ay areas to avoid? Thanks in advance!

Any current students interested in neuro? I heard from one of my interviewers that there is awesome neuro research going on but I'd love to know more about it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any current students interested in neuro? I heard from one of my interviewers that there is awesome neuro research going on but I'd love to know more about it

Our neuro clinicians are awesssome :love:

We have a fantastic summer research program you can do in the summer of your first and/or second year that can allow you to do neuro research if that is what interests you!

Members don't see this ad :)

What would you like to know? I am a Ph.D. student (and veterinarian) here who works with the neurology service closely. I didn't go here for vet school so I'm not sure what's available to veterinary students at this point, though I personally might need some help sifting through some neurology case files for a study at some point in the not so far future, haha.

Our neuro clinicians are awesssome :love:

We have a fantastic summer research program you can do in the summer of your first and/or second year that can allow you to do neuro research if that is what interests you!

That's amazing! At my interview, one of the people told me about how the neurology department is doing research on canine DM, a similar disease to human ALS. Do you know if that's still going on? I am extremely interested in being a part of that!

That's amazing! At my interview, one of the people told me about how the neurology department is doing research on canine DM, a similar disease to human ALS. Do you know if that's still going on? I am extremely interested in being a part of that!

@nyanko

Is there a large neuro caseload at Mizzou? Wanna make sure I can get my shadowing/experience in!

I am fairly sure that research with the creagles is still going on here.

@nyanko

Is there a large neuro caseload at Mizzou? Wanna make sure I can get my shadowing/experience in!

Someone explained to me that all vet schools tailor their class sizes to the caseload that the hospital has to make sure that all students get enough experience. I'm sure you will be fine

Do you guys know when we will be added to the Facebook group? I really want to start looking for housing since I plan to move to CoMo June 1st!

Do you guys know when we will be added to the Facebook group? I really want to start looking for housing since I plan to move to CoMo June 1st!
Normally the first years will make a FB group and then you guys can flood it then. I will keep you all updated and post the link when it shows up!

Anyone know if the Class of 2021 group has been created yet?

Can anyone answer for me if Mizzou requires genetics? I plan on applying for co 2022.

anyone know of any good places to rent 1 bedroom apt? Also what are your thoughts on living alone vs having roommates during vet school?

anyone know of any good places to rent 1 bedroom apt? Also what are your thoughts on living alone vs having roommates during vet school?
Having done both, I would recommend having roommates! Personally, I would do it with people that are a mix of vet students from different years, as they can help you with stuff they have already been through with regards to vet school, and you already see your classmates so much as it is. Give it about 2-3 weeks and you will see current first years, second years, and third years posting to look for roommates, as well as other incoming first years looking for roommates! The cycle of getting housing tends to be late in Columbia compared to other areas (in my undergrad, all the good places were gone by November), so don't be worried about being behind the ball or anything like that with regards to housing!

@nyanko

I can tell you that right now, the neuro service has 15 inpatients (hospitalized patients) in the hospital which is cray cray. And also had a full day of appointments so their entire white board was full from top to bottom- I feel really bad for the students on right now. But, I will say that I LOVED neurology so so much. The first year resident is seriously one of my all time fave people in the hospital (we went to a concert together a couple weeks ago) and the clinicians are awesome. Yes the DM study is still going. If you are interested in neuro, Mizzou is a fantastic place to end up.

I can tell you that right now, the neuro service has 15 inpatients (hospitalized patients) in the hospital which is cray cray. And also had a full day of appointments so their entire white board was full from top to bottom- I feel really bad for the students on right now. But, I will say that I LOVED neurology so so much. The first year resident is seriously one of my all time fave people in the hospital (we went to a concert together a couple weeks ago) and the clinicians are awesome. Yes the DM study is still going. If you are interested in neuro, Mizzou is a fantastic place to end up.

This is so encouraging to hear!! As a Pennsylvania resident, I'm really nervous about deciding to move 15 hours away from my entire family, but everything I'm hearing and experiencing with Mizzou seems to just keep getting better and better.

This is so encouraging to hear!! As a Pennsylvania resident, I'm really nervous about deciding to move 15 hours away from my entire family, but everything I'm hearing and experiencing with Mizzou seems to just keep getting better and better.

We have quite a few Pennsylvania people dispersed between all the classes so you are not alone! Honestly, unless you are from STL or KC (both 2 hours away) you won't have time to travel except on breaks anyway. Im only 5 hours from home, but it is enough that I only went home except during breaks - which I feel we get a good amount of. During vet school, 5 hours might as well be 15 because it is just not easy to get back and forth and make your time worth it.

There's a lot going on with degenerative myelopathy research.

Also I'm from PA too. :D

Hey! I'm a 3rd year at Mizzou from PA, also 15 hours away. I'd be happy to share my experiences or answer any questions you have about living so far from home. Feel free to send me a private message!

I'm super excited that I was accepted into Mizzou's program! :) After visiting the school for my interview, I really was impressed with the program! I have been waitlisted at Purdue and still waiting to hear back from Illinois, but I wanted to hear from current veterinary students on why they chose Mizzou! This program might be the only one I get accepted to , but I might have to make a decision depending on my options! :)

I'm super excited that I was accepted into Mizzou's program! :) After visiting the school for my interview, I really was impressed with the program! I have been waitlisted at Purdue and still waiting to hear back from Illinois, but I wanted to hear from current veterinary students on why they chose Mizzou! This program might be the only one I get accepted to , but I might have to make a decision depending on my options! :)
If you look on the thread "factors when choosing a school" on the top of the pre-vet page has tons of posts from past and present Mizzou vet students. If you look through this thread you will find lots of posts too! And when that fails you are more than welcome to PM me or other current students (STL, rainheart, Kpow to name a few) if you would like to find out more about our school :)

To reiterate what Ash said, feel free to pm me with any questions whatsoever! (This extends to anyone who may be looking at the thread and not posting)

To reiterate what Ash said, feel free to pm me with any questions whatsoever! (This extends to anyone who may be looking at the thread and not posting)
This! Don't be afraid to PM one of us and ask any burning questions you have about Mizzou, even if you haven't posted before or think we will be bothered (We won't be we love talking about our school!).

So I absolutely loved Mizzou and all the people I met when I interviewed. It's one of my top choices. The only thing holding me back from really committing is worrying about the job availability in the area for my SO who is coming with me wherever I end up. Could anyone speak to this?

Last edited:
For any current OOS students on this thread - how did you manage to establish residency regarding the earning $2,000 in the state of MO rule? Do you think it's doable to work during the academic year, or did you cram a majority of the hours into your break?

For any current OOS students on this thread - how did you manage to establish residency regarding the earning $2,000 in the state of MO rule? Do you think it's doable to work during the academic year, or did you cram a majority of the hours into your break?

Some people cram it in the summer. Others, like me, worked during the academic year. I'll be making my 2k by the end of June. I chose to get a weekend job at one of the human hospitals here. It's really your preference. My grades didn't suffer at all with me working during the year :).

Hey, here's the scoop on earning the $2,000 taxable income... You have several options for getting IS tuition. 1, if you are married and your spouse is employed and taxed within the state, you won't need to earn the income. 2, if you move to Missouri early (start of summer 2017), you will likely have enough time to earn the $2,000 before starting school and you will also get to claim IS tuition at the very start of your first year. 3, most students find jobs the summer between 1st and 2nd year. Possibilities are practically endless. I started a cleaning job in May (classes end late June) and a few weeks later also started working at a grocery store. I worked at the grocery store until I made my $2,000 (2-3 months during that summer), but I kept the cleaning job for about a year just for some extra spending money. Other students waitress, bartend, work 2nd or 3rd shift positions at a local textbook company (for really good wages), work at Lowes or Menards, etc. As long as the income is taxable you can work anywhere. 4, there is also the option of working at the vet school or main campus bookstore part time OR you can get involved with the VRSP research program through the vet school and earn your income that way. I personally didn't have much interest in research, but it's stipend based so you don't need to worry about how many hours you need to log in order to earn the required $2,000 and the stipend is a bit more than that.

Something to consider per the MU residency office... you are more than welcome to work during your 1st year before the summer starts, but the residency office requires you to continue working throughout the summer between 1st and 2nd year. So if you power through and make all your money before the start of summer, you'll still need to have some form of income over the summer as well, even if it is just a few days a week. You'll need to hold onto pay stubs and be able to present them to the residency office if they ask. I kept all of mine and included them in my residency packet along with my bank statements to prove I was in Missouri (using my credit card a few times a week) throughout the summer.

My personal opinion on working during 1st year... some of my classmates did work and managed, but the majority did not. 1st year is very overwhelming at first because it's new and you're trying to adapt to new ways of studying and testing, etc. But then just when you start to feel comfortable with things, the spring semester is the start of 8 week block style classes and the pace picks up quite a bit. 2-4 exams per week is the new normal as opposed to the 1-2 per week of the fall semester. From a time management perspective, I needed to put the majority of my focus on studying, and I don't think I could have also managed having a job that took away from that time, even if it was only on weekends.

Hope this helps.

2, if you move to Missouri early (start of summer 2017), you will likely have enough time to earn the $2,000 before starting school and you will also get to claim IS tuition at the very start of your first year.

Where did you see/hear this?

Where did you see/hear this?

Sorry, I misspoke. A few of my classmates did move to Missouri early, several months before starting 1st year and were able to earn the income they needed and apply for in state tuition for the spring of 1st year, so not right from the start. There is a rule about living in the state 12 consecutive months before applying. Everything is explained on Mizzou's residency office's website.

So I absolutely loved Mizzou and all the people I met when I interviewed. It's one of my top choices. The only thing holding me back from really committing is worrying about the job availability in the area for my SO who is coming with me wherever I end up. Could anyone speak to this? He's in the IT/network admin area but you don't need to necessarily be that specific.

I also would love to hear about this! My fiancé is in biology/bioinformatics!

I also would love to hear about this! My fiancé is in biology/bioinformatics!
Does he want to pursue a funded PhD in bioinformatics? If so, pm me, as I could possibly get him to be able to start in the fall (total package worth 45k/yr)

Does he want to pursue a funded PhD in bioinformatics? If so, pm me, as I could possibly get him to be able to start in the fall (total package worth 45k/yr)

He's considering it. He wanted to take a break from school, but I'll PM you once I talk to him if he's interested!!

Has anyone heard anything about Brandon Woods Apartments? I'm will be moving in June to start my internship. Any housing advice would be appreciated.