Mizzou c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I ended up making it work! Also, are we supposed to put ALL vets worked with or maybe the ones that line up with the primary supervisor on VMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

I listed all of the vets I worked with but listed the ones I used for my LOR's first.

Debated all summer about whether or not to add Mizzou as my fourth school. Finally, made up my mind and decided to!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know why I find this confusing, but when entering coursework for the supplemental application, what does it mean for the department? The school name or the actual department name that the course was taken in?

I don't know why I find this confusing, but when entering coursework for the supplemental application, what does it mean for the department? The school name or the actual department name that the course was taken in?

Its asking for the actual department the course was taken in. It should have a drop down menu for you to choose from. (I can't look to see if it does because I already submitted.) Hope this helps you:

English classes - Freshman English
Composition

Math - College Algebra
Trig
Calc (1,2,3)

Biochemistry - Biochem

Physics - Gen Physics 1
Gen Physics 2

Biology - Gen Bio 1
Gen Bio 2

Reactions: 1 user
Question regarding the supplemental application. Under the personal information section where it asks questions about high school, is it really that crucial to have your SAT score and class rank? I can't remember those figures exactly and of course I have no idea where those records are, probably in storage at my father's house somewhere... Anyone else leaving those blank or roughly guesstimating...?

I left them blank

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Question regarding the supplemental application. Under the personal information section where it asks questions about high school, is it really that crucial to have your SAT score and class rank? I can't remember those figures exactly and of course I have no idea where those records are, probably in storage at my father's house somewhere... Anyone else leaving those blank or roughly guesstimating...?
I guesstimated based on what I remembered...

It's more for statistics, and I am pretty sure (but not positive) that it doesn't affect your academic score in the slightest.

Thanks for the replies folks. I ended up guesstimated on what I could remember and finally submitted last night.

I just graduated, but am always happy to answer questions about Mizzou or CoMo (although I'm significantly less helpful with information about the city lol). I'll be in CoMo until mid-June if anyone wants to stop by and get a tour or chat!

Hi equinerider26! I'm actually hoping to visit Mizzou on Saturday October 1st (I'm planning on attending the One Health Symposium in St. Louis the day before as long as I can get work off). I'd love to get a tour if you are available! If not, I can just set up one through the school. Thanks!

I'm excited to have applied again (first time applying to Mizzou though) and I wish everyone luck!

Hi equinerider26! I'm actually hoping to visit Mizzou on Saturday October 1st (I'm planning on attending the One Health Symposium in St. Louis the day before as long as I can get work off). I'd love to get a tour if you are available! If not, I can just set up one through the school. Thanks!

I'm excited to have applied again (first time applying to Mizzou though) and I wish everyone luck!
Sorry, I'm actually long gone from living in CoMo. I moved to Mississippi for my internship. There's plenty of other people around who would be happy to give you a tour, tho - just email Doug!

Members don't see this ad :)

If my life is in order the day after then I might be able to, although I am losing a day helping to run that conference. So like 50/50 shot, but your best bet is probably to email Doug lol.

Hey guys! I'm a first year here at Mizzou and absolutely love it! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :) Good luck on your applications! Try not to stress too much...haha

If anyone has any specific questions, as always, I'm happy to answer them. I'm a VM-4 and will be graduating before you guys enter the program, but happy to chat!

If anyone has any specific questions, as always, I'm happy to answer them. I'm a VM-4 and will be graduating before you guys enter the program, but happy to chat!

Craziness right here.. How did we become the old folks?

Craziness right here.. How did we become the old folks?
I don't know :eek:
Some days it seems like only yesterday that we were moving in together for our first year.

Hi all! After reading and hearing about Mizzou and how excited everyone was about this school I decided to apply because I felt like it would be a good fit! I was just wondering what the curriculum is like. I know UofI does "blocks" each quarter and they include clinics into the first year which sounds pretty interesting. Anyway that leads me to ask how Mizzou organizes clinics/hands on experience and classes? Additionally, what is the city like around the college?

Hi all! After reading and hearing about Mizzou and how excited everyone was about this school I decided to apply because I felt like it would be a good fit! I was just wondering what the curriculum is like. I know UofI does "blocks" each quarter and they include clinics into the first year which sounds pretty interesting. Anyway that leads me to ask how Mizzou organizes clinics/hands on experience and classes? Additionally, what is the city like around the college?
Mizzou is a 2+2 curriculum, which means 2 years of class and two years in clinics. After the first "semester," you have 4-6 classes that changes every 8 weeks that are classified as blocks or instructional periods. We only have 8 weeks for summer, but we start clinics in October of third year (4 more weeks!!!), and have loads of clinical experience during that time. During clinics, you get 10 wks worth of electives, and up to 16 weeks of off-campus time in which you can go anywhere to have extra externships or rotations.

Honestly I can't speak highly enough about our 2+2 program. It's tough for sure, but because of our program, I was able to do 6 weeks worth of externships this summer and got to perform almost 40 surgeries by myself among lots of other clinical things.

If you have anymore questions about Mizzou don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know when we would likely start hearing about interviews and when those are typically held?

Anyone know when we would likely start hearing about interviews and when those are typically held?
For Mizzou, generally OOS should start hearing mid November. For IS, it's closer to January/February.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are out-of-state, you will hear about interviews sometime in November (historically around Thanksgiving), and the interviews will be the first and second week of January.

If you are out-of-state, you will hear about interviews sometime in November (historically around Thanksgiving), and the interviews will be the first and second week of January.

Do they reject people who will not be offered an interview at this time as well?

Do they reject people who will not be offered an interview at this time as well?
Yes, normally rejections are sent out a few days to a week or so after interview invites.

In the past, there have been a few people "in limbo," that don't get an interview invite or a rejection, in which case they have to see if anyone doesn't take the interview so they can take a spot (deadline to accept an interview is around first of Dec so you would hear around then). From what I heard it normally results in a rejection though :(.

Getting close...is it true that Mizzou sends out all invites at once?

Getting close...is it true that Mizzou sends out all invites at once?
For OOS they are all sent within a similar time span.

Be aware that the timeline will be delayed this year. MU has had the largest number of applicants in the history of the school, so it may be a few days/ a week or two delayed compared to previous years.

For OOS they are all sent within a similar time span.

Be aware that the timeline will be delayed this year. MU has had the largest number of applicants in the history of the school, so it may be a few days/ a week or two delayed compared to previous years.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Wonder if it's this way across the board or if it's just MU/a handful of schools.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Wonder if it's this way across the board or if it's just MU/a handful of schools.

Glasgow and Virginia have both sent emails saying this cycle has been a record number of applicants for them!

I'm curious about that, too. In one of the other 2021 threads I saw a similar comment (though of course now I can't remember which school it was). The number of applicants to all VMCAS schools generally increases a bit each year, so I think having a record number of applicants is fairly common- I've definitely come across it in previous years' threads, as well.

Here's some VMCAS stats for anyone curious:

And here's the PDF: http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/data/2016 aavmc public data - final.pdf#page=22

Edit: The number of schools each applicant applies to has also been ticking up each year, and that also affects how many apps each school has to review.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 1.26.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 1.26.48 PM.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 204
I'm curious about that, too. In one of the other 2021 threads I saw a similar comment (though of course now I can't remember which school it was). The number of applicants to all VMCAS schools generally increases a bit each year, so I think having a record number of applicants is fairly common- I've definitely come across it in previous years' threads, as well.

Here's some VMCAS stats for anyone curious:

And here's the PDF: http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/data/2016 aavmc public data - final.pdf#page=22

Edit: The number of schools each applicant applies to has also been ticking up each year, and that also affects how many apps each school has to review.
I was thinking this same thing. It seems like every single year there is a "record number of applicants."

So we might hear something by Thanksgiving? Or will it push it back until December?

So we might hear something by Thanksgiving? Or will it push it back until December?

I can check, I think the goal is thanksgiving, but it may be pushed back a bit from that. Remember that our admissions committee is a team of 1 (Kathy) so it takes her awhile to get through the applications.

I can check, I think the goal is thanksgiving, but it may be pushed back a bit from that. Remember that our admissions committee is a team of 1 (Kathy) so it takes her awhile to get through the applications.

Really?! Only one person evaluates the applications?

She's the one that does the preliminary sorting, in combo with one of the associate deans. But she's the only one that is full time working on that only.

Ohh, I see.

Welp. I may as well throw in the towel now. With my academics, I'm not getting past any sorting anywhere.

Ohh, I see.

Welp. I may as well throw in the towel now. With my academics, I'm not getting past any sorting anywhere.
I wouldn't be discouraged. In addition to purely academic reasons, some of them are put into a pile that academics may not be as well, but other aspects of the application shine. She is not going through them rapid fire, she truly does take her time on each application. She cares a lot about the process, and wants to give each applicant the best chance they can based off of the information she has available

I wouldn't be discouraged. In addition to purely academic reasons, some of them are put into a pile that academics may not be as well, but other aspects of the application shine. She is not going through them rapid fire, she truly does take her time on each application. She cares a lot about the process, and wants to give each applicant the best chance they can based off of the information she has available

Thanks, that helps :)

Only one person! Wow! That's quite a job!

PS thanks for the info!

Interview question: Do applicants get interviewed by the same OOS admissons committee as the one that initially reviewed their applications?

Interview question: Do applicants get interviewed by the same OOS admissons committee as the one that initially reviewed their applications?
So Dr. Berent will have likely taken a look at your application, and she is in the same room as you, but she does not judge your interview. None of the people on the interview committee brought you to the interview stage, but they have briefly reviewed your application ahead of time (aka they are aware of everything on your application, but they only provide points to you for the interview stage)

So Dr. Berent will have likely taken a look at your application, and she is in the same room as you, but she does not judge your interview. None of the people on the interview committee brought you to the interview stage, but they have briefly reviewed your application ahead of time (aka they are aware of everything on your application, but they only provide points to you for the interview stage)

I guess I am more referring to the list that's here: http://cvm.missouri.edu/committees.htm#adminschol

The folks on the OOS list--are they reviewing applications during the initial stages (after Kathy has sorted them? I guess I'm a little confused on that as well--or is Kathy the main authority on who gets invited for interviews?) or are they the ones that will be interviewing? Or both (though I suppose you just said that's not the case)? I'm just wondering who's who, basically! I'm surprised they actually list the adcom members online, never seen that before! Not much use in keeping it secret, I suppose.

I guess I am more referring to the list that's here: http://cvm.missouri.edu/committees.htm#adminschol

The folks on the OOS list--are they reviewing applications during the initial stages (after Kathy has sorted them? I guess I'm a little confused on that as well--or is Kathy the main authority on who gets invited for interviews?) or are they the ones that will be interviewing? Or both (though I suppose you just said that's not the case)? I'm just wondering who's who, basically! I'm surprised they actually list the adcom members online, never seen that before! Not much use in keeping it secret, I suppose.
I get what you are talking about. From what I know, it is more that they are involved in the interview process than the actual application aspect. And I wouldn't say that Kathy is the "main authority", she calculate scores based off of a set of rules, and looks for other unique aspects in applicants if they don't meet a certain threshold. But at the end of the day, the authority is the associate dean for admissions and the dean of the vet school.

For the calculations of the academic score, here is the break down: 45 GPA, it is worth 10% of the academic score (40% total), while the cumulative GPA is worth 20%, course load 6%, (12 credits = 0, and 18 credits = 6), and the GRE is worth 4%

You have some pretty awesome adcom members on there this year. Some of my absolute favorite professors are on there!

I get what you are talking about. From what I know, it is more that they are involved in the interview process than the actual application aspect. And I wouldn't say that Kathy is the "main authority", she calculate scores based off of a set of rules, and looks for other unique aspects in applicants if they don't meet a certain threshold. But at the end of the day, the authority is the associate dean for admissions and the dean of the vet school.

For the calculations of the academic score, here is the break down: 45 GPA, it is worth 10% of the academic score (40% total), while the cumulative GPA is worth 20%, course load 6%, (12 credits = 0, and 18 credits = 6), and the GRE is worth 4%

You have some pretty awesome adcom members on there this year. Some of my absolute favorite professors are on there!

I think I agree ("think" because I don't know them)--I looked into each of them on the website and they seem like amazing people. I actually noticed that some of my experiences/interests/values align with theirs, which was definitely encouraging.

This is just my waiting game anxiety. I know there's nothing I can do at this point. I just sit around and speculate on this or that. I need to focus more on my classes :)

P.S.--is there a "good" or target academic score to have? Or is that relative to each year?

P.S.--is there a "good" or target academic score to have? Or is that relative to each year?
They only give reports on academic scores for IS. The average for IS applicants is usually around 20, while the average for acceptance is 25 for IS. It is generally higher for OOS though.

Craig is awesome, I work with him on a lot of stuff (and yes, he does like to be called by his first name). If I recall, Dr. Kovarik won the excellence in teaching award last year.

And trust me when I say to not dwell on this. The decision will be the same regardless of if you stress over it everyday or you relax about it and enjoy life :p. But seriously, what will happen is what was meant to happen. As 99.9% of people who have been it will tell you, it's honestly best to just hit the submit on VMCAS and then forget about it until e-mails start pouring in!