More school advice please: Tennessee or Ohio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

averd7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
It's between Tennessee or Ohio--I'd love any input please!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know too much about tennessee because I withdrew my application from there - however you can get instate tuition at ohio after the 1st year, which would be a huge draw for me. Good luck deciding! I know exactly how you are feeling b/c I am in the same situation between lsu, tufts, and penn! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio - but I'm a little biased :D

What drew me was how happy the students seemed to be and how nice everyone has been (staff, administration) anytime I call with questions. It's on a quarter system which has its own pros and cons and it's a large class of 140. I also liked the surrounding area around the school and apparently football season gets pretty crazy which will be a nice change from my undergrad which had no sports whatsoever. I also like the fact that after our first year we can perform surgeries under supervision. This could lead to some great experience if you get involved in spay/neuter campaigns (which are a huge interest of mine).

If you go to Ohio you get to be in my class! It can be a pro or a con depending on how you look at it ;)

I also like the fact that after our first year we can perform surgeries under supervision. This could lead to some great experience if you get involved in spay/neuter campaigns (which are a huge interest of mine).

So I'm not the only one planning to do many many cat neuters summer after first year? (Being realistic I wouldn't expect anyone to let me do much beyond that)

We've got happy, friendly students and staff, a nice surrounding area, our cancer treatment facilities are very state of the art, an excellent exotics program, great clinicians in every field I can think of, and we, too perform surgery beginning 1st semester of 2nd year.

The class size is 85, and our football fans are nuckin' futz. We don't, however, make it easy to get in-state tuition.

I ended up with the same decision. I actually started out dead set on Ohio, but changed my tune after I saw Tennessee. I like the smaller class size and I also found out that the residency hoops I'd have to jump through at Ohio weren't possible for my situation. Plus that first year when you're paying OOS tuition, your Staffords will probably not be enough to cover it, so you might have some private loans. Those suck. I've been able to get through Tennesse with Staffords, savings, and occasional work even though I'm OOS. It really is a great school with a lot to offer. Our faculty is really great, you'll probably be in the one of the really nice classrooms, so that's always good. The cost of living here is a little lower, too. You also get a nice mix of city/country, if you're into that. Also, if you love the outdoors, it's there are wonderful close-by parks plus the Smokies just about a half hour away. I'm really happy with my decision!

Ohio & Tenn were the 2 schools I applied to. Ended up being waitlisted at OSU, so that made my decision pretty easy, but had I gotten into both, the only reason I would have choosen OSU over Tenn would have been paying the IS tuition. It's going to vary from person to person, depending on what exactly matters most to you, but for me, Tenn just knocks my socks off. Every time I've had to deal with them, it seems like they've bent over backwards to help me & make me feel welcome. OSU was cordial, but never seemed as overly friendly & supportive as Tenn did. In addition, Tenn has such a wide variety of fantastic programs, a smaller class size, meaning more one on one, and better weather! I'd suggest making a list of the factors that are most important to you in a vet school & compare them. Good luck!

I ended up with the same decision. I actually started out dead set on Ohio, but changed my tune after I saw Tennessee. I like the smaller class size and I also found out that the residency hoops I'd have to jump through at Ohio weren't possible for my situation. Plus that first year when you're paying OOS tuition, your Staffords will probably not be enough to cover it, so you might have some private loans. Those suck.

For what its worth, during the ohio state info session that pretty well assured us that for our first year as OOS we can cover our entire expenses between stafford loans and then grad plus loans. So there should be no need for any private loans.

ohio is switching to semesters starting 2012

I am kind of assuming that they are switching to semesters for Fall 2012, because it would seem kind of odd for them to do it mid school year otherwise.

Since we would be going into clinicals spring 2012 I don't think we would be affected at all by this change.

Hey,

So just to clarify, yes OSU is going to semesters, but I believe the official language is that the minimum time frame is by 2012, so don't count on anything being accurate. They just finally passed everything last week here.

Also, on the original post, I think there are a lot of great things about both schools. I didn't apply to UTenn, but my cousin is a scholarship swimmer there so I got some love for UTenn.

Anyway, I don't think Ohio is a difficult school to get residency in, and I didn't need private loans as well, but I think the problem is that the registar's office is often difficult to understand as to HOW to get residency. They bring people in to explain it in the Fall Quarter and its really not that bad. See some of my other posts about it for information.

There are lots of other great reasons to come to OSU and if you have any specific questions, we will try our best to answer them!

Since we would be going into clinicals spring 2012 I don't think we would be affected at all by this change.

Correct. I remember hearing during the interview info session that OSU will be starting semesters in 2012 which wouldn't really change anything (at least for our class) since we would already be in clinics.

Last edited: