This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Dude....

The Dude Abides...
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Read the prior threads...still looking for some input. I'm an active Army Officer working as an Executive Officer (Roughly 60 to 70 hours a week...maybe more but I don't want to overestimate...deployed once...ramping up for Afghanistan deployment currently) and there is no way possible I can complete my prerequisites in a traditional classroom. My commander is letting me do one class per semester....other than that I'm going to do UNE online. Does anyone think this will be a problem for DO or for that matter MD? Current GPA 3.41 in HIM. Lots of deployed Extracurriculars in Heathcare.

Spank you,
May the Dude be with you...and me....

Members don't see this ad.

It is dependent on each school. Some schools have no issue with it as long as it is from an accredited institution, some don't care as long as it is from a 4-year, and others want only traditional brick and mortar classes for pre-reqs. Look at the MSAR/school websites. If you are looking at USU they require all pre-reqs be done in a traditional brick and mortar (in classroom) setting. If you can't find the information online, call and ask the admission staff.

Reactions: 1 users
Read the prior threads...still looking for some input. I'm an active Army Officer working as an Executive Officer (Roughly 60 to 70 hours a week...maybe more but I don't want to overestimate...deployed once...ramping up for Afghanistan deployment currently) and there is no way possible I can complete my prerequisites in a traditional classroom. My commander is letting me do one class per semester....other than that I'm going to do UNE online. Does anyone think this will be a problem for DO or for that matter MD? Current GPA 3.41 in HIM. Lots of deployed Extracurriculars in Heathcare.

Spank you,
May the Dude be with you...and me....

I did UNE for Orgo 1. Honestly, it severely limited my options to only DOs and 10-15 MDs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
some schools specifically bar online prereqs.....some don't. It's your decision on how to roll those dice. a 3.4 with a good mcat can get you into a DO school but the odds tighten with online pre-reqs. Your odds get better if you can take a year off and work those classes in live classrooms but you may not have the option financially.

some details in life you only have so much control over, adapt and overcome

Reactions: 1 users
some schools specifically bar online prereqs.....some don't. It's your decision on how to roll those dice. a 3.4 with a good mcat can get you into a DO school but the odds tighten with online pre-reqs. Your odds get better if you can take a year off and work those classes in live classrooms but you may not have the option financially.

some details in life you only have so much control over, adapt and overcome
Unfortunately the problem isn't finances, it's the Army. With another 3 years on my contract and another deployment coming in 2017 I won't have much choice but online. I'll adjust fire and move on as best I can. Always good advice. Thank you.

Unfortunately the problem isn't finances, it's the Army. With another 3 years on my contract and another deployment coming in 2017 I won't have much choice but online. I'll adjust fire and move on as best I can. Always good advice. Thank you.

for reference, you'll hear a lot that taking classes at community college will sink an app.....but I couldn't quit my job and took all my prereqs at a community college

Reactions: 1 user

Some universities don't list courses as online vs brick and mortar on transcripts, so it might help to do a bit of exploring.

Most all DO and quite a few MD med schools will accept online for non-required courses, and some will for required sciences, but some won't so you have to check and see who accepts what and make sure the schools of most interest to you are accepting. Community college acceptance varies by school.

Some universities don't list courses as online vs brick and mortar on transcripts, so it might help to do a bit of exploring.

Most all DO and quite a few MD med schools will accept online for non-required courses, and some will for required sciences, but some won't so you have to check and see who accepts what and make sure the schools of most interest to you are accepting. Community college acceptance varies by school.
How will med schools that accept online classes view letters of recommendation from a professor of an online class?

How will med schools that accept online classes view letters of recommendation from a professor of an online class?

Are you taking online science classes? Most med schools want LOR's from science professors, some also want one from a non-science professor.

I really can't say for sure, as no one that I know of has ever submitted such and I've never seen a rec letter (that I know of!!!!!) provided to me from an online professor. I personally wouldn't view a rec letter from an online professor that positively. Part of the rec letter really should be subjectively how was the student not only academically but socially, interpersonally, etc.

Just my opinion

Are you taking online science classes? Most med schools want LOR's from science professors, some also want one from a non-science professor.

I really can't say for sure, as no one that I know of has ever submitted such and I've never seen a rec letter (that I know of!!!!!) provided to me from an online professor. I personally wouldn't view a rec letter from an online professor that positively. Part of the rec letter really should be subjectively how was the student not only academically but socially, interpersonally, etc.

Just my opinion
Thanks for your reply. I guess having LORs from online science professors will be one of the negatives on my application.

Thanks for your reply. I guess having LORs from online science professors will be one of the negatives on my application.

Maybe, maybe not. It could be neutral or even positive at some universities if the letters are really strong.

Your transcript might not specify the individual courses as being online and the professor might not discuss your rec as knowing you from only from online. Most schools are going to put in the effort to try and figure it out if it doesn't matter. I wouldn't apply to any schools that say they won't accept online courses and unless someone asks I wouldn't volunteer that information. I can't recall AACOMAS or any secondaries ever asking.

When requesting just make sure the prof knows the LOR should be on university letterhead and signed. I'd also offer to send them my personal statement and vita so they get to know a bit more about you. Not all professors read requirements before uploading and the online profs may not be used to writing letters.

Best of luck!

I had a non-science teacher from an online course write me a LOR last cycle. It was the only recent non-science class I took but I also made sure to go the extra mile with papers, initial discussion posts, and responses to others. Additionally I would send emails asking about more in-depth information or cross relating it to other artifacts in order to get a good foundation (kind of like office hours). The feedback I received from the adcoms during exit interviews mentioned that all of my LORs were strong and good and to only look at supplementing them with 1 additional or updated from any of same professors. Sadly I do not have that professor's letter anymore since he sent it directly to AMCAS vice Interfolio. Might take a random non-science class this summer just to get a new letter.