MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was sent for review on 11/20 and I'm still waiting too! What program did you both apply for? I'm health policy
Social and Behavioural Sciences

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted 11/11, was verified 11/18 but was only sent for review on 12/13 because WES took almost 2 months to process my transcripts
I was sent for review on 11/20 and I'm still waiting too! What program did you both apply for? I'm health policy
i applied for health care management!!

also, just got a 25% tuition scholarship at brown :)

Reactions: 2 users
CONGRATS!!! still refreshing my email ahhh lol
Fingers crossed, I am guessing they're still processing applications sent for review way before mine :)

Hahaha I tried to keep myself busy but also found myself doing the same thing!

My app was under review 12/09, since my last letter of rec was submitted quite late, but not sure if there's any correlation!

Reactions: 1 user
ugh all of the email notifications i'm getting are for restaurants lol. still holding out for yale today

Reactions: 1 users
Hahaha I tried to keep myself busy but also found myself doing the same thing!

My app was under review 12/09, since my last letter of rec was submitted quite late, but not sure if there's any correlation!
Yeah, they don't really seem to have a pattern in terms of time people wait for a reply..

ugh all of the email notifications i'm getting are for restaurants lol. still holding out for yale today
I legit unsubscribed from all the email lists I was on in order to quit getting a heart attack every time I got an email notification :dead:

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In at UNC for nutrition!! I nearly cried I am so so excited

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Congrats to everyone who has applied AND been accepted!! Anyone have any idea about timeline for MHS in Epi at Hopkins? My app was sent for review yesterday and it's my top choice by far. I'm just worried about my stats (47th percentile Q, 78 percentile Verbal, 95% writing) and my GPA was a 3.2 with a BS in Neuroscience. However I have 5+ years of research experience, ton of posters, a few publications, lots of volunteering in a NICU and for Planned Parenthood, etc.

Congrats to everyone who has applied AND been accepted!! Anyone have any idea about timeline for MHS in Epi at Hopkins? My app was sent for review yesterday and it's my top choice by far. I'm just worried about my stats (47th percentile Q, 78 percentile Verbal, 95% writing) and my GPA was a 3.2 with a BS in Neuroscience. However I have 5+ years of research experience, ton of posters, a few publications, lots of volunteering in a NICU and for Planned Parenthood, etc.

The only thing that might hurt you is your quant score, but I feel that your experience might likely make up for it and won't be an issue. Have you done well in quant classes during undergrad?

Hi everyone! I am looking at applying to MPH programs next cycle (starting fall 2021) and am specifically looking at a MPH/MPA dual degree. Do any of you have experience applying to these programs or have any thoughts and insights about the dual degree at different schools? So far I know Brown, Columbia, NYU, Colorado SPH, and the University of Utah (my in-state option) have MPH/MPA programs. Any others I should look into? Sorry, I know this isn't application related but it seemed like a good forum to get information from. Thanks in advance!

wow! I just got a call from UCSF saying I am admitted to the Global Health MS!!!!! I must have used up all my bad luck last week!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
The only thing that might hurt you is your quant score, but I feel that your experience might likely make up for it and won't be an issue. Have you done well in quant classes during undergrad?
As and Bs in all besides Calc. I do know SPSS, R, and Python quite well. I did well in all my Stats classes.

When is UCLA going to release their decisions?!?!?!?!?!

just got accepted to Emory ❤️❤️❤️ Global health!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 17 users
Just got accepted to Emory HPM!

Reactions: 11 users
Has anyone heard from Maryland yet? I know not many are applying there, but I'm in-state, so really hoping to get in!

I was also accepted to USF recently which is super affordable, but doesn't really compare with JHU or GW since I could attend at least some courses there in-person (I'm definitely more of an in-person learner). UMD seems to hit that middle ground nicely. Hoping I won't just have to pick the least expensive option, but obviously can't just go to the more expensive schools without reason!

I applied to their online behavioral/community health program on 11/20 and haven't heard back yet! I am not in-state (I'm in VA).

Reactions: 1 users
In at Emory for Environmental Health MPH!!!! Got the reply at 6:30pm mountain time. I submitted on 12/12 and was routed for review on 12/20.

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone get into Emory for Global Epi?

Just got accepted into Emory's MPH program for Global Health!

Reactions: 6 users
Still waiting for Global Epi. Feeling a bit nervous

Saaaaaaame. I applied global epi and haven’t heard. Hopefully they just haven’t gotten to those yet and it’s not that we didn’t get it!

Congrats to all who have received offers! Long-time lurker, first-time poster!

I'm getting nervous as I haven't heard from any programs yet, and lots of people have been getting offers from Departments I applied to. I know I applied relatively late in the cycle (right on the Priority Deadlines) so I wanted to get an idea of whether it is concerning I haven't heard back, whether the programs I've applied for are realistic, and about anyone else's experience applying for the Advanced/Accelerated programs. I specifically chose programs which are one year, due to the arrangement with my scholarship and my workplace here in Australia (who have given me a year off and a guaranteed job when I get back after a year).

Undergraduate School: International medical school (Aus)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0 (WES verified)
Major/Minor: Medicine, graduated with Distinction
Grad studies (if applicable): My bachelors (Bachelor of Medicine) in Aus is equivalent to a US MD
GRE (including date taken): 11/12 164V (94%) | 168Q (93%) | 5.0W (92%)

Experience/research:
- Already have $45KUSD/$70KAUD scholarship to undertake Masters program at any overseas university by General Sir John Monash Foundation
- 2 years as a doctor, working full time rotating through various areas
- 2 years on National Youth Advisory Council for Youth Mental Health, advising on policy, youth participation, program design, advocacy and organisational strategy to do with youth mental health, spoke at Youth Mental Health Conference, co-convened Youth Participation conference (this was concurrent with working full-time/studying full-time)
- Board of Directors for a local youth suicide prevention charity
- Board of Directors for the national medical student association, have had various advocacy and leadership roles in same org (total involvement over 7yrs)
- Australian Delegate to Girls20 Summit (2016)
- Attended World Health Assembly and UN, as medical student delegate
- I'm really aware that I have done more advocacy, volunteering and have a clear dearth of research

Letters of rec: Academic Dean from Medical School, Director of Residency Training at my Hospital, Executive Director of National Youth Mental Health Organisation where I did my advisory work, CEO of Foundation that is funding me
Interested in: Youth and adolescent health, obesity prevention, youth health promotion, community-based health interventions

Applied: Johns Hopkins Schoolwide (12/1), Harvard 45-Unit MPH Health and Social Behaviour (12/1), Yale Advanced Professional MPH Sociobehavioural Sciences (12/15), Columbia Accelerated MPH Sociobehavioural Sciences (12/2), Emory Accelerated HCM (01/6)
Accepted: TBA
Rejected:
Attending:

I'd really appreciate any advice/insight or feedback!

Congrats to all who have received offers! Long-time lurker, first-time poster!

I'm getting nervous as I haven't heard from any programs yet, and lots of people have been getting offers from Departments I applied to. I know I applied relatively late in the cycle (right on the Priority Deadlines) so I wanted to get an idea of whether it is concerning I haven't heard back, whether the programs I've applied for are realistic, and about anyone else's experience applying for the Advanced/Accelerated programs. I specifically chose programs which are one year, due to the arrangement with my scholarship and my workplace here in Australia (who have given me a year off and a guaranteed job when I get back after a year).

Undergraduate School: International medical school (Aus)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0 (WES verified)
Major/Minor: Medicine, graduated with Distinction
Grad studies (if applicable): My bachelors (Bachelor of Medicine) in Aus is equivalent to a US MD
GRE (including date taken): 11/12 164V (94%) | 168Q (93%) | 5.0W (92%)

Experience/research:
- Already have $45KUSD/$70KAUD scholarship to undertake Masters program at any overseas university by General Sir John Monash Foundation
- 2 years as a doctor, working full time rotating through various areas
- 2 years on National Youth Advisory Council for Youth Mental Health, advising on policy, youth participation, program design, advocacy and organisational strategy to do with youth mental health, spoke at Youth Mental Health Conference, co-convened Youth Participation conference (this was concurrent with working full-time/studying full-time)
- Board of Directors for a local youth suicide prevention charity
- Board of Directors for the national medical student association, have had various advocacy and leadership roles in same org (total involvement over 7yrs)
- Australian Delegate to Girls20 Summit (2016)
- Attended World Health Assembly and UN, as medical student delegate
- I'm really aware that I have done more advocacy, volunteering and have a clear dearth of research

Letters of rec: Academic Dean from Medical School, Director of Residency Training at my Hospital, Executive Director of National Youth Mental Health Organisation where I did my advisory work, CEO of Foundation that is funding me
Interested in: Youth and adolescent health, obesity prevention, youth health promotion, community-based health interventions

Applied: Johns Hopkins Schoolwide (12/1), Harvard 45-Unit MPH Health and Social Behaviour (12/1), Yale Advanced Professional MPH Sociobehavioural Sciences (12/15), Columbia Accelerated MPH Sociobehavioural Sciences (12/2), Emory Accelerated HCM (01/6)
Accepted: TBA
Rejected:
Attending:

I'd really appreciate any advice/insight or feedback!

This honestly might be the most impressive background+stats I’ve ever seen on SDN for an MPH candidate. I wouldn’t worry if I were you

P.S.: The Harvard MPH45 program has a 56% acceptance rate (twice their MPH65 acceptance rate), so I wouldn’t be surprised at all if you get in there. Hopkins and Harvard love doctors

Reactions: 5 users
wow! I just got a call from UCSF saying I am admitted to the Global Health MS!!!!! I must have used up all my bad luck last week!!!!
Hey! I got a call from San Francisco this morning but I didn’t pick up as I was in a meeting. They did not leave me a voicemail. Can I send you a PM? I wanna confirm if it was them?

So funny that Emory is sending out acceptances on a Thursday night. Also accepted to EPI!

Reactions: 8 users
If anyone received scholarship info from his/her Yale app, could you tell us how many days after you received your acceptance letter Yale emailed you about your scholarship award?

If anyone received scholarship info from his/her Yale app, could you tell us how many days after you received your acceptance letter Yale emailed you about your scholarship award?

Were you accepted last Thursday? I'm still waiting too!

Good morning! Has anyone heard about scholarship, fafsa, or anything else related to finances at UNC? Any info would be appreciated!

Re: scholarships - these can come from the department, the school, or the university, and the timeline (and notification process) for each will be different. I was accepted into the program 1/29/18 and received a (university-based) scholarship on 3/8/18.

Note that UNC is not like most of the private PH schools up North where a fair chunk of admitted students will get a small scholarship. There will be a very small handful of merit scholarships (in the spring) and assistantships (spring through fall) handed out. The silver lining is that UNC is significantly more affordable than NYU, Brown, etc., even after awards. Also, unless you're a dependent, you're almost guaranteed to get in-state tuition at UNC in year 2.