MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sure hope so... :scared:

Anyone know around what time they send the round of responses today (Probably all rejections or High wait-list spots)? It's the last till mid January...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sure hope so... :scared:

Anyone know around what time they send the round of responses today (Probably all rejections or High wait-list spots)? It's the last till mid January...
I got my high wait list email this morning around 11

3.89 cGPA
3.82sGPA
27N mcat
canadian applicant
Mind if I ask if you've got any awards/how many hours of work or EC's you have? And when was your app in? Thanks!

Last edited:
So tuition for Canadians is 58k/year with the Canadian scholarship. I'm curious to know if we have any more opportunities to reduce this to somewhat in-state levels. I know there is the Non-resident MSUCOM scholarship, but that's only given out to 7 students so I'm guessing it's going to be fairly competetive. Are there any other scholarships which are given out fairly loosely to Canadians? I'm having trouble coming up with the $300k+ that is required to attend this school, so far I'm at around $250k.

when's the tuition due for msucom?

@bhavik: is there is any deadline for submitting the affidavit of support form??

I don't thinks so but I'm planning on sending it in in january.

anybody know when the committee reconvenes? i assume these last 2 weeks of December are holidays...

anybody know when the committee reconvenes? i assume these last 2 weeks of December are holidays...

i think someone said earlier in the thread they aren't meeting again until the middle of january. so my assumption is that probably means either wednesday the 11th or wednesday the 18th....it's gonna be a nice long month :(

I was put on the high-waitlist on the 14th too.

3.8sGPA
3.7cGPA
28 MCAT

Lots of Research and community service hrs (1000+) of each.

However, I just turned in my app and was marked complete on Dec 1st. Anyone know how good my chances are that I will be pulled off to start this June? I know I applied super late.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was put on the high-waitlist on the 14th too.

3.8sGPA
3.7cGPA
28 MCAT

Lots of Research and community service hrs (1000+) of each.

However, I just turned in my app and was marked complete on Dec 1st. Anyone know how good my chances are that I will be pulled off to start this June? I know I applied super late.

According to the statistics, a little more than 70% admitted students chose to attend MSUCOM in the past. So I would guess your chance is not that bad b/c of those < 30% who declined their offers.

So tuition for Canadians is 58k/year with the Canadian scholarship. I'm curious to know if we have any more opportunities to reduce this to somewhat in-state levels. I know there is the Non-resident MSUCOM scholarship, but that's only given out to 7 students so I'm guessing it's going to be fairly competetive. Are there any other scholarships which are given out fairly loosely to Canadians? I'm having trouble coming up with the $300k+ that is required to attend this school, so far I'm at around $250k.

So far I don't see any other scholarships which are given out fairly loosely to Canadians. But one option is to find 2 good co-signers so that you can get more student loan from 2 different banks.

I was accepted off the wait list yesterday! I sent them a email reply accepting the offer.

What happens after I send them the acceptance email? How long before I hear back from them about campus location preferences, when my deposit is due and how much it is, etc?

I was accepted off the wait list yesterday! I sent them a email reply accepting the offer.

What happens after I send them the acceptance email? How long before I hear back from them about campus location preferences, when my deposit is due and how much it is, etc?

Congrats! You will receive a packet in the mail with some paperwork you need to fill out. This includes site selection and how to pay for the deposit. Everyone is assigned to a site in January/February.

File finally complete. Did anyone else have a problem getting their file complete? All but one of my recommendation forms were in by October 31st, and then it took until last week for the other one to get there. The letter was sent out in the mail twice (the first time was on the same day and from the same place as the received letter), and then admissions said to fax it to them, but my recommendation writer had to end up calling the office a few times because their fax machine wouldn't accept any incoming faxes.

I'm not holding my breath to hear good things back, but I was curious if anyone else had this problem?

does high wait list means they guarrantee you a spot for 2017? and you don't need to apply again, it just carries over? thanks

I just withdrew my acceptance to this outstanding school due to opportunities closer to home. Good luc everyone!

I'm sure someone here probably knows: When does MSU stop reviewing apps? On their website it says orientation starts in June so I would imagine they are going to be wrapping up review pretty soon. Was complete middle of december about and I'm definitely not holding my breath for anything but didn't know what my chances were at this point

3.5/28Q - all the ECs

They got my acceptance deposit and paperwork on 11/30 but I haven't gotten an enrollment letter yet. Does anyone know how long it should take to receive in the mail? Also, what does the letter say basically?

Anybody complete over christmas hear anything back yet? I know I applied too late :-(

Canadian applicant here.
Just received an email stating that I was placed on the waitlist and guaranteed spot in the 2017 class. I am assuming I was placed on the high waitlist. Does anyone know how much movement is on the high waitlist?

Thanks..

Canadian applicant here.
Just received an email stating that I was placed on the waitlist and guaranteed spot in the 2017 class. I am assuming I was placed on the high waitlist. Does anyone know how much movement is on the high waitlist?

Thanks..

When were you complete?

So then there must be a limit to the Canadian students with a separate Canadian waitlist..
Darn.. The Canadian's will not find out until May regarding the entrance to Canadian medical schools. This will be a long anticipating wait for me i guess...:(

I'm just wondering if high wait-list applicants get news of acceptance only on Wednesdays or if they can find out on other days of the week too? Thanks!

Canadian applicant here.

Thanks..

Congrats! I was wondering if you don't mind, what kinda stats/EC's did you have?

Thanks!

complete dec 9 and i haven't heard anything. should i assume it's a rejection since applicants complete after me have already heard back? does MSU send rejection letters?

complete dec 9 and i haven't heard anything. should i assume it's a rejection since applicants complete after me have already heard back? does MSU send rejection letters?

MSUCOM does send rejection emails, they're not a silent rejection school. I've been complete since December 5th so I know exactly what you're feeling :( But hang in there, no one ever knows how the process goes for each school exactly. On another note, I just received an email from MSUCOM that said this:

"I just wanted to assure you that we haven't forgotten you. Our Admissions Committee reviews application files from mid-September through mid-March, sometimes even longer. I know it's hard to wait, but we just won't have any further information for you until the Committee finishes their work."

I'm assuming they sent that out to a lot of people. Did you get one too? While I much rather would have received an acceptance email :p it was nice to see that I'm not completely forgotten about! Good luck and hang in there :xf: I'm trying to at least!

I remember reading that MSUCOM's class was already full. Today, I got this email from them:

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to assure you that we haven't forgotten you. Our Admissions Committee reviews application files from mid-September through mid-March, sometimes even longer. I know it's hard to wait, but we just won't have any further information for you until the Committee finishes their work.

Thank you for your patience.

btw, I've been complete since late October.

I remember reading that MSUCOM's class was already full. Today, I got this email from them:

btw, I've been complete since late October.

Haha looks like we both got that at the same time! :) I'm sure they've handed out as many acceptances as their class would fill, but that doesn't mean that those people won't drop and go somewhere else. I read somewhere that about 30% of the class are people that are accepted after the class is considered "full"

Has anyone else been complete since the end of October and STILL not heard anything?! I've been complete since 10/26 and have yet to hear about an acceptance/rejection/waitlist. Today I received an email from MSUCOM saying that they're still reviewing applicants and to "be patient" (looked like a mass email). I'm sick of waiting! Especially since people complete in December have already heard back...

Has anyone else been complete since the end of October and STILL not heard anything?! I've been complete since 10/26 and have yet to hear about an acceptance/rejection/waitlist. Today I received an email from MSUCOM saying that they're still reviewing applicants and to "be patient" (looked like a mass email). I'm sick of waiting! Especially since people complete in December have already heard back...

I'm in the same shoes, my friend.

I dont know where I find the stats..
But vaguely from what I can remember:
3.92 sGPA
3.89 cGPA
30P MCAT
I also have an M.B.A
I am a Canadian applicant
ECs: Worked at Ford Motor Co as a skilled tradesman tool and die maker.
Hospital Emergency Room Volunteering
Emergency Response Team
Physician Shadowing
Martial Arts
And other random stuff.