MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got high waitlist email this morning

3.5/28 , usual ECs and research
Me too! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks! Wonder what the acceptance chance is off the High wait list? Anyone know? Sorry if this was addressed earlier

I will be withdrawing my acceptance today. Got accepted to AZCOM. Good luck to everyone hoping for MSUCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
High wait list email this morning, didn't see it till this evening. What a relief. And on a Thursday of all days... I'm feelin' good.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back- keep the faith!:thumbup:

Last edited:
High wait list email this morning, didn't see it till this evening. What a relief. And on a Thursday of all days... I'm feelin' good.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back- keep the faith!:thumbup:

when were you complete?

Is it correct that we really don't need to do anything to accept our position on the wait list? I mean, i replied to the email about visiting the college but thats about it. Did anyone do something different? Didn't see any other directions on the email to accept the spot officially

You might still have to put a deposit down. You'll get the information pack in the mail in a week or so.

when were you complete?

I was complete early December. December 7th I believe. A fellow on here was accepted (2017/High wait list, like me) a week earlier than I and he was complete December 9th (which means we were both in the same review cycle.)

It looks like if you meet the stats and stand out, even if your MCAT's not so good or if your GPA isn't that high, you have a good chance. But either or. Typically, people accepted now have a mediocre MCAT and a fantastic GPA/classwork trend (like myself) or a killer MCAT and a lower GPA (nothing too outrageous though). Although I'm positive other things factor in. I did a year + of volunteer research and had a pretty hefty load of EC's (although most were from my pre-college years.) I'm trilingual too. MSU really looks at stuff like that.

So as I said, keep the faith. I have a friend who I consider a fine candidate with a higher MCAT than mine who was complete months ago and STILL hasn't heard back. So if you're in that boat, you're not alone. And I hear the high wait list moves relatively quickly, so they're probably going to have more of those spots open up (despite the class being full.)

And there are still 2 more months of deliberation going on. That email they sent the applicants that said the review processes sometimes goes on beyond March was sincere.

I wish you the best of luck!

You might still have to put a deposit down. You'll get the information pack in the mail in a week or so.

I think you pay the deposit for the year you plan on attending. If you're in for 2017, I don't think a deposit needs to be paid. If you get off the high wait list, that's when you pay I believe. I'm basing this off the fact that people who defer acceptance for a year don't typically pay a deposit.

I think you pay the deposit for the year you plan on attending. If you're in for 2017, I don't think a deposit needs to be paid. If you get off the high wait list, that's when you pay I believe. I'm basing this off the fact that people who defer acceptance for a year don't typically pay a deposit.

Wouldnt be right to pay a deposit to hold a spot that you currently don't have anyways. Especially since deposits for DO schools typically aren't refundable

People at TouroCOM NY who were accepted for 2016 last year had to do it. I personally know one student accepted there for 2016 and paid the deposit. Reapplied to different schools this cycle and was accepted to MSU and will lose that deposit. I'm not 100% sure, but I could see it being done.

People at TouroCOM NY who were accepted for 2016 last year had to do it. I personally know one student accepted there for 2016 and paid the deposit. Reapplied to different schools this cycle and was accepted to MSU and will lose that deposit. I'm not 100% sure, but I could see it being done.
Hey Doc!
Since I remember you got in a while ago, how long after acceptance do we have to pay a deposit? I don't have a grand just right now, but I could get one, but I'd rather not so quickly. And I did hear the high wait list moves relatively quickly. I don't mind going this year or the next. Still, what was the time frame in which you had to pay it?

Thanks

I was complete early December. December 7th I believe. A fellow on here was accepted (2017/High wait list, like me) a week earlier than I and he was complete December 9th (which means we were both in the same review cycle.)

It looks like if you meet the stats and stand out, even if your MCAT's not so good or if your GPA isn't that high, you have a good chance. But either or. Typically, people accepted now have a mediocre MCAT and a fantastic GPA/classwork trend (like myself) or a killer MCAT and a lower GPA (nothing too outrageous though). Although I'm positive other things factor in. I did a year + of volunteer research and had a pretty hefty load of EC's (although most were from my pre-college years.) I'm trilingual too. MSU really looks at stuff like that.

thanks mate! i was complete dec 18th so im still waiting for a decision

So as I said, keep the faith. I have a friend who I consider a fine candidate with a higher MCAT than mine who was complete months ago and STILL hasn't heard back. So if you're in that boat, you're not alone. And I hear the high wait list moves relatively quickly, so they're probably going to have more of those spots open up (despite the class being full.)

And there are still 2 more months of deliberation going on. That email they sent the applicants that said the review processes sometimes goes on beyond March was sincere.

I wish you the best of luck!

thanks mate! i was complete dec 18th so im still waiting for a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
The wait list has been moving. We had until Dec. to pay part of it and then Jan for the rest. I know someone who got in off the wait list last year but he deferred admissions, but I'm pretty sure he paid the deposit. He basically got accepted the day before class started.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance today. Got accepted to AZCOM. Good luck to everyone hoping for MSUCOM.

Congratulations for getting selected to the prestigious AZCOM. May I ask why you are withdrawing from MSUCOM and selecting AZCOM? Is it because AZCOM is better or some other reason. Thanks

Does anyone know how likely it is that you will get into MSUCOM if they put you on the regular waitlist? I just found out about the high priority waitlist and I've never felt so heartbroken in my life! I visited the school today thinking I had a good shot at getting in, fell in love with it, and then got my heart ripped out researching this waitlist stuff. I'm being overdramatic of course, but if anyone has decent info about it I would really appreciate it. I'm going to visit the admissions office to see if I can get any answers there but that might be a while since I've got a full time job right now. So whatever the cold hard truth is, lay it on me please!

Does anyone know how likely it is that you will get into MSUCOM if they put you on the regular waitlist? I just found out about the high priority waitlist and I've never felt so heartbroken in my life! I visited the school today thinking I had a good shot at getting in, fell in love with it, and then got my heart ripped out researching this waitlist stuff. I'm being overdramatic of course, but if anyone has decent info about it I would really appreciate it. I'm going to visit the admissions office to see if I can get any answers there but that might be a while since I've got a full time job right now. So whatever the cold hard truth is, lay it on me please!

I don't think visiting admissions will have an impact on getting off the wait list; however, it's still a good idea; mainly because wait list movement depends on people withdrawing there acceptance. That being said, its still possible if a high percentage withdraw or defer their admissions for a year. MSU is very nice in the sense that you can defer your admissions quite easily. One of my classmates in 2016 did get off the regular wait list and then deferred admissions because of short notice.
You should also go because you will learn what deficiencies your application had and how to improve it for next cycle. There are a couple of examples of people admitted this year that were not last year, but contacted admissions to see how to improve their application.:xf:

Last edited:

Hey,
Just to put things in perspective. From reading last year's thread, a lot of folks who seem to have gotten on the high wait list late were offered admission in the class of 2015. That means that being on the high wait list is likely an acceptance for that same year (not 100%.) However, a lot of high wait listers seem to opt to defer for obvious stability reasons (which in fact, I may do if circumstances are too chaotic.) Likewise, people admitted may still opt to defer. If enough defer, and the rest get in, then you have a chance at getting in.

If you get taken off the wait list and admitted, you'll be notified literally days before the term begins. That's because they'll use the wait list (in the order which they added people to it) to fill up any empty seats that may result from high wait list folks or people who were accepted deferring. That being said, anyone ahead of you on the list has priority over you, and there aren't that many spots.

But just one more thing- I don't think the "regular" wait list has too many people on it. From reading this forum, people have reported rejection, acceptance and after the class was full, rejection and high priority wait list offers.

So in essence, it's a coin flip. Go, visit the admissions folks, and see where you were lacking. Then review what you've done and see if you can repackage your application in a more appealing fashion. Apply extremely early, and you'll get in. I wish I'd applied earlier to get a bit of stability or assurance as to where I was going and what I'd be doing.

Hey, I'm regular wait list too. I visited them yesterday as well. We just have to hang in there and hope for the best. :xf:

Congratulations for getting selected to the prestigious AZCOM. May I ask why you are withdrawing from MSUCOM and selecting AZCOM? Is it because AZCOM is better or some other reason. Thanks

Reason #1 - I was incredibly impressed with the faculty there. The instructor for pharm. spoke to us first and explained her reason for teaching at AZCOM instead of the Ivy league schools such as Harvard and Yale, which she had the opportunity to do so. The faculty at AZCOM are selected to teach because of their love for teaching, not how much grant money they bring. AZCOM is much less a reseach school than a teaching school. She told us of a few professors who could have brought millions in grant money but were rejected a position because they didn't show they were great teachers. As a result of their love for teaching, the cirriculum is especially successful.

Reason #2 - Tuition (as an OOS at MSU) is cheaper than MSU. True, I could have recieved the OOS scholarship, but I read on the website only a few OOS students receive it. Why chance having to spend 73K when 51K is gaurenteed at AZCOM?

Reason #3 - They have THE MOST incredible facilities I have seen. AZCOM's patient encounter rooms actually mimic physician offices, ICU rooms, OB rooms, etc. Also, every two cadavars in the lab have a 42" plasma screen TV to catch the details of that day's dissections. The have two separate cadavar rooms, but with the cameras, TV's and microphones, you can raise your hand in one room and speak with the professor in the other room, without leaving your spot.

Reason #4 - They have incredible match rates into specialties and their respective prestigious rotations.

Reason #5 - They have an incredible intramurals program that every one gets involved in. Anything from basketball, softball, kickball, volleyball, tennis, etc. This one is just a bonus reason.

Overall, I felt AZCOM actually loves their students and provides every chance for success. Not that MSUCOM doesn't, but AZCOM really shows it.

I know the explaination is lengthy, but it was an excellent choice for me.

Last edited:
Reason #1 - I was incredibly impressed with the faculty there. The instructor for pharm. spoke to us first and explained her reason for teaching at AZCOM instead of the Ivy league schools such as Harvard and Yale, which she had the opportunity to do so. The faculty at AZCOM are selected to teach because of their love for teaching, not how much grant money they bring. AZCOM is much less a reseach school than a teaching school. She told us of a few professors who could have brought millions in grant money but were rejected a position because they didn't show they were great teachers. As a result of their love for teaching, the cirriculum is especially successful.

Reason #2 - Tuition (as an OOS at MSU) is cheaper than MSU. True, I could have recieved the OOS scholarship, but I read on the website only a few OOS students receive it. Why chance having to spend 73K when 51K is gaurenteed at AZCOM?

Reason #3 - They have THE MOST incredible facilities I have seen. AZCOM's patient encounter rooms actually mimic physician offices, ICU rooms, OB rooms, etc. Also, every two cadavars in the lab have a 42" plasma screen TV to catch the details of that day's dissections. The have two separate cadavar rooms, but with the cameras, TV's and microphones, you can raise your hand in one room and speak with the professor in the other room, without leaving your spot.

Reason #4 - They have incredible match rates into specialties and their respective prestigious rotations.

Reason #5 - They have an incredible intramurals program that every one gets involved in. Anything from basketball, softball, kickball, volleyball, tennis, etc. This one is just a bonus reason, though.

Overall, I felt AZCOM actually loves their students and provides every chance for success. Not that MSUCOM doesn't, but AZCOM reallys shows it.

I know the explaination is lengthy, but it was an excellent choice for me.

Thank you very much for providing the reasons. One more question: What are clinical rotations and residency choices for each of them? Are they similar or is one better than the other?

This post is directed to anyone that's on the "regular" waitlist and worried about not making it off list. I'm the 2016 student Dr. Gioia is referring to. I was admitted last cycle off the regular waitlist and deferred my acceptance due to short notice/other factors. I too was pretty heartbroken when I found out about the high and low priority lists. I had my app complete in early August, but didn't get waitlisted until early March (pretty much was clinging on to that last bit of hope) and was accepted in mid-June. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how the waitlist works but I just wanted to let you know that acceptance is possible. Stay hopeful and keep working hard. There really is no formula for getting into med school. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Hey guys, anyone know where they'll likely stick the people on the high waitlist if they get in this cycle? Have they traditionally just shipped you off to Lansing? I'd rather stay around the metro Detroit area to be honest.

Got news today, put on the regular waitlist :/. Fingerss crosseddd!

56 k tuition + living[/QUOTE As Canadians do we have to apply for the scholarship for Canadians or we get it automatically? can we get line of credit without co signer? which bank is the easiest to get Loc from? how soon can we get affidavit of support from bank? Again which bank in Canada is the quickest to get Affidavit of support from? Can someone please provide me the answers to my above questions Asap .Thanks

Last edited:
If you are an non-resident and do the combined DO/PhD, will you get enough funding to cover the med school tuition?

Hey guys, anyone know where they'll likely stick the people on the high waitlist if they get in this cycle? Have they traditionally just shipped you off to Lansing? I'd rather stay around the metro Detroit area to be honest.

I would like to know this as well. I'm hoping I get East Lansing to be with le boyfriend. Also, if you defer a year do you still get a say in where you end up? HotandCold, if I get Detroit and you get East Lansing, let's switch. :)

I deferred my acceptance last year and was able to make my selection this past September. Everyone I'm aware of that deferred was able to choose in Sept--although COM admissions did say that this is not guaranteed.

I would like to know this as well. I'm hoping I get East Lansing to be with le boyfriend. Also, if you defer a year do you still get a say in where you end up? HotandCold, if I get Detroit and you get East Lansing, let's switch. :)

Alright! Yep, I'm on board with that. I'll take Detroit or Macomb for Lansing. Keep me in mind!

Hi everyone :)

Just wanted to say that I was put on the high wait list for the class of 2016, with guaranteed admission for class of 2017 ( Canadian student). Funny thing is that, even if I get accepted, I will most likely defer it to next year anyways- just works better for me.

Anyways, very excited. Open to any suggestion on how to finance this (other than the traditional routes for Canadians).

Maybe some of the US students can chime in... how does FAFSA work? Do they offer any "loan forgiveness" like Ontario's OSAP does? I'm a US and CDN citizen... so it would be neat to try to take advantage of that... ha ha.

Just wanted to say that I was put on the high wait list for the class of 2016, with guaranteed admission for class of 2017 ( Canadian student). Funny thing is that, even if I get accepted, I will most likely defer it to next year anyways- just works better for me.

Anyways, very excited. Open to any suggestion on how to finance this (other than the traditional routes for Canadians).

Maybe some of the US students can chime in... how does FAFSA work? Do they offer any "loan forgiveness" like Ontario's OSAP does? I'm a US and CDN citizen... so it would be neat to try to take advantage of that... ha ha.

A US citizen eh?
Fafsa...
Well, here's how it works. First you fill out the online application for FAFSA- in the case of MSUCOM, they'll use your FAFSA for the 2011-12 year to fund the first 9 week semester. Typically you get an annual 40k Stafford Loan, and the rest of the pre-determined budget expenses in a Graduate Plus loan you have to apply for (it's credit based, but you can get a cosigner)- of course, there are opportunities for scholarships, grants and things that will decrease the amount of money you have to be loaned.

That pretty much takes care of your tuition and leaves you roughly 2400 USD a month (according to MSUCOM's Budcom pdf) for personal expenses (that'd include renting an apt, car insurance, food, utilities, books, clothes etc.)

Doesn't seem terribly complicated.

Yup Dual indeed :) Looked into FAFSA a bit more and its basically what I thought... Only unsubsidized loans... at a ridiculous rate. Right now Canadian banks are offering professional student loans with an interest rate of 3% (I guess depending on the bank). I don't see any benefit to going with FAFSA right now...

I'm going to keep on looking for alternative funding opportunities... in addition to CDN banks and family... haha.

CONGRATS! when did you hear about the high wait list? Thanks!!

Hey all! Anyone know if the office of admissions can give me any information as to when my app will go to committee?? I know they do it by stats and all, but I've been complete for a LONG time now and would love to hear either way. I'm not the type to call and make a fuss so I was hoping someone could give me some feedback about this as well as to how full the class is already..thanks so much for any help!

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hi everyone,

I was placed on the high wait list 1/26/12 and accepted 2/6/12!

Just wanted to post this for those who are wait-listed and waiting to hear back. Good luck!

And if people want to know my stats:
Completed: 12/22/11
GPA: 3.5/4.0
sGPA: 3.4/4.0
MCAT: 29P
Extras: Hospital, ER, and Abroad medical experience, volunteer, etc.

-MSUCOM Class of 2016

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post this for those who are wait-listed and waiting to hear back. Good luck!

-MSUCOM Class of 2016

Congrats! Did you receive an email? Or letter in the mail?

I just want to clear something up here: Are there applicants who have been wait-listed but NOT guaranteed a spot in the class of 2017? Trying to figure out if this "high priority wait-list" is a construct of this SDN thread because nowhere in my email did it say "high priority wait list" but I was guaranteed a spot in the class of 2017, but as per some others in this thread, if you're guaranteed a spot next year without reapplication then its "high wait list." Anyone know the facts on this?

I just want to clear something up here: Are there applicants who have been wait-listed but NOT guaranteed a spot in the class of 2017? Trying to figure out if this "high priority wait-list" is a construct of this SDN thread because nowhere in my email did it say "high priority wait list" but I was guaranteed a spot in the class of 2017, but as per some others in this thread, if you're guaranteed a spot next year without reapplication then its "high wait list." Anyone know the facts on this?

I don't know for sure because I was not waitlisted. But from following the thread it seems that those who have been waitlisted and received guaranteed acceptances for the class of 2017 are "high priority wait list" group, while those who were wait listed and did not receive a guaranteed acceptance for the class of 2017 are "low priority waitlist". From what you mentioned, it seems it does not explicitly say "high" or "low" priority on the waitlist but however you wanna label them is semantics. It seems that there are two distinct groups for waitlist.

congrats.
are you US or Canadian citizen? Is there a seperate wait list for US and Canada?
Thanks

My email came in on January 11th. :) A little unexpected... since there is a limited number of the Canadian spots, and I heard they were full well before Christmas (around October/ November I think). This works for me though. I'm thrilled.

I think the "high" vs "normal/ low" distinction is real but those words were not explicitly used in the letter from MSUCOM.

My letter simply said 1. I was wait listed 2. with guaranteed admission (nothing about high or low).

From what I gather all the people who were offered guaranteed positions in the class of 2017 are in the "high" waitlist group, while other wait listed candidates are in the "normal/ low" group. I don't know for sure, but that's what it seems like to me.

Also, I think there is a separate wait list for CDN vs US applicants. I called the offices and I distinctly remember the lady saying that since all the CDN spots were filled, a CDN student would have to give up his/ her spot for the next CDN wait listed applicant to get it.

It is indeed just semantics. There are certainly two lists used by the school however one of them is called guaranteed admission. Yes, Canadians get special treatment thanks to an initiative of spreading more DOs throughout Canada.

Guaranteed admission = high wait list.
No mention of guarantee = low wait list.

However, being on the low wait is not where you want to be. TBH it should be called the "(high) reject list with outside shot at late acceptance".

Hi everyone,

-MSUCOM Class of 2016
Congrats!!! Are you a US or Canadian citizen?

I was also complete 12/22, and was placed on the high wait list 1/26. So, I am hoping to hear from them very soon if they indeed follow the order you were placed on the wait list. Keeping my fingers crossed!!! :)

Congrats!!! Are you a US or Canadian citizen?

I was also complete 12/22, and was placed on the high wait list 1/26. So, I am hoping to hear from them very soon if they indeed follow the order you were placed on the wait list. Keeping my fingers crossed!!! :)

Are you US or Canadian citizen? Looks like the Candian hi wait list is different from the American one?

Did you get off the hi wait list yet? So, the Canadian hi wait list is different from American hi wait list? Any idea when the hi wait listed Canadians can expect to get off the hi wait list and be accepted for this year?
Thanks.

The Canadian High Wait list has been moving. It all depends when and if a spot becomes available.