MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats.
are you US or Canadian citizen? Is there a seperate wait list for US and Canada?
Thanks
US citizen, in-state

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!! Are you a US or Canadian citizen?

I was also complete 12/22, and was placed on the high wait list 1/26. So, I am hoping to hear from them very soon if they indeed follow the order you were placed on the wait list. Keeping my fingers crossed!!! :)
US citizen, in-state :)

Anybody know how highly ranked MSUCOM is compared to other DO schools? (there's prolly more parity than MD schools) but I was curious to see how it's viewed among DO schools in particular to (CCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, and WesternU). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know how highly ranked MSUCOM is compared to other DO schools? (there's prolly more parity than MD schools) but I was curious to see how it's viewed among DO schools in particular to (CCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, and WesternU). Thanks!

Adding further to the same question: Which one of the following is the best: MSUCOM, AZCOM, NOVA (NSU)? I have been told by some people that AZCOM , CCOM and UNECOM are the best. Do you agree? Please provide the reasons too. Thanks

Adding further to the same question: Which one of the following is the best: MSUCOM, AZCOM, NOVA (NSU)? I have been told by some people that AZCOM , CCOM and UNECOM are the best. Do you agree? Please provide the reasons too. Thanks

There are probably several threads addressing this on the Pre-osteo boards...also, one member posted about AZCOM earlier in this thread and why they chose AZCOM over MSU....anyways, maybe look into it

there are probably several threads addressing this on the pre-osteo boards...also, one member posted about azcom earlier in this thread and why they chose azcom over msu....anyways, maybe look into it

+1

US, in-state. Yeah I believe they have different lists.

3.76 gpa / 25 many years volunteering at YMCA through high school and undergrad. 10 years treating patients, Hospital privileges for city on call and for OR cases.

Are there any options to live on campus at EL or are these restricted to undergrads?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any options to live on campus at EL or are these restricted to undergrads?
MSU is a huge university--there are definitely options to live on campus as a grad student if you're interested. The most popular spot for grad students (and international and studious undergrads) is Owen Hall. Search through www.msu.edu to see their options :)

Hi everyone,

I was placed on the high wait list 1/26/12 and accepted 2/6/12!

Just wanted to post this for those who are wait-listed and waiting to hear back. Good luck!

And if people want to know my stats:
Completed: 12/22/11
GPA: 3.5/4.0
sGPA: 3.4/4.0
MCAT: 29P
Extras: Hospital, ER, and Abroad medical experience, volunteer, etc.

-MSUCOM Class of 2016

Wow, I was placed on the high wait list 1/26 as well! You were accepted a little under a week ago- I'm getting hopeful.

"The MSUCOM Admissions Committee has completed their review of your application. You have been placed on our waiting list. In the event that we don't have an opening in the class for you this year, the Committee has authorized me to offer you a guaranteed place in the Class of 2017. You would not have to reapply."

That's what the high wait list is, right? Like, I've been saying high wait list based off of that paragraph, rather than an because of an explicit statement.

This is getting me pretty hopeful. I know it's painstakingly specific, but I got my email at 12:48pm. If they're doing this in order of when you're wait listed (as opposed to stat wise) mind telling me what time you got your email? I can't be too far behind... but I did see a post by another fellow who'd been high wait listed that same day, so there might be a pack of us.

Thanks! And congrats to the max!:thumbup:

I don't think that the order you're put on the high waitlist matters...I received my email on 11/17 and I'm still waiting.

I don't think that the order you're put on the high waitlist matters...I received my email on 11/17 and I'm still waiting.

So the order of getting on the High wait list does not matter. Are you in state, out of state or Canadian?

So the order of getting on the High wait list does not matter. Are you in state, out of state or Canadian?
In-state, complete 11/7. My only weakness is my relatively low volunteering hours.

In-state, complete 11/7. My only weakness is my relatively low volunteering hours.

May I ask your GPA and MCAT? I was thinking that being put on the high wait list is just because of late completion of application.Looks like it is because of other factors like GPA, MCAT and volunteer hours. Is that correct?

Actually the order you're put on the wait list does matter. I called them and they told me that the committee gives us scores and based on those scores the wait list is formed.

Actually the order you're put on the wait list does matter. I called them and they told me that the committee gives us scores and based on those scores the wait list is formed.

I am a bit confused now. So the date on which one is placed on high wait list does matter? If thats the case then how is it that people who were put on that list later have already been accepted?

Did you receive a guaranteed acceptance offer? Judging from what I read on their website and what people have written this cycle and last, you're put in order on a high waitlist (which means you're pre-accepted if spots don't open up) or a regular waitlist, which usually doesn't see much matriculation. These are based off of order... if anyone knows otherwise, jump in.

The wait lists are independent of each other, and the "regular" wait list is only used once everyone on the high wait list is in.

I am a bit confused now. So the date on which one is placed on high wait list does matter? If thats the case then how is it that people who were put on that list later have already been accepted?

Call MSU and ask. It doesn't seem that way at all. The only person who says so is ksodilla, and its his/her second post ever. If you read through last year's thread, it goes as follows.

- People who would have been accepted, but applied after the class was full are "wait listed" along with a guaranteed spot in the class for the following year if seats don't open up.

- People who don't make the cut, but would likely do ok in Medical School are "wait listed" just in case any seats are empty after all the people I described above either defer or matriculate.

That's the way this works. And actually, I remember inquiring with the admissions office about this. They explained that you're ranked numerically, based on when you're high wait listed. Only when all the people high wait listed before you enter the class, will you be "accepted" for the class of 2016. They don't give you the number of people ahead of you anymore, but they did before. They do tell you if you're in the next ten starting March.

A guy on here a few months back when the class first filled up went from 8, to 7, to 6 and then a week or so later he was accepted.

May I ask your GPA and MCAT? I was thinking that being put on the high wait list is just because of late completion of application.Looks like it is because of other factors like GPA, MCAT and volunteer hours. Is that correct?
low 30 MCAT, ~3.5 GPA

I met with an adviser in person a few weeks ago and she did say that there is a score that determines your position on the waitlist. She couldn't tell me where I was on it, but she made it clear that when I was put on the waitlist had no bearing on when I would get taken off. So anyone with a higher score that was waitlisted after me will get accepted first.

Last edited:
Did you receive a guaranteed acceptance offer? Judging from what I read on their website and what people have written this cycle and last, you're put in order on a high waitlist (which means you're pre-accepted if spots don't open up) or a regular waitlist, which usually doesn't see much matriculation. These are based off of order... if anyone knows otherwise, jump in.

The wait lists are independent of each other, and the "regular" wait list is only used once everyone on the high wait list is in.
Right, I don't think the order is time dependent. It only depends on the score they give you as an applicant A large portion of that score is volunteering, and this dragged down my score. Though, I do have guaranteed acceptance for the class of 2017.

Right, I don't think the order is time dependent. It only depends on the score they give you as an applicant A large portion of that score is volunteering, and this dragged down my score. Though, I do have guaranteed acceptance for the class of 2017.

I think you're misunderstanding them. The Applicant gets a score. If he/she is in the top 20% of people scored that day, they review the application in depth and take action.

This is an email I sent to the Admissions office today, and their response is below.

Sent: Mon 2/13/2012 2:53 PM
To: COM Admissions
Subject: Wait list

Hello Admissions Office,

I was just wondering about how the wait list is formed. I got wait listed and accepted for the class of 2017. Are people on the wait lists ranked in the order in which they are wait listed and then accepted in that order as space in the class opens up? How does that work?

Thanks!
From:COM Admissions ([email protected]) Sent:Mon 2/13/12 8:40 PMTo: Studly McAwesome ([email protected])

Thank you for your email. Yes that is exactly how it works. In May we will be able to tell you if you are in the Top 10, but no other statistics on the list at this time.

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

I think you're misunderstanding them. The Applicant gets a score. If he/she is in the top 20% of people scored that day, they review the application in depth and take action.

This is an email I sent to the Admissions office today, and their response is below.

Sent: Mon 2/13/2012 2:53 PM
To: COM Admissions
Subject: Wait list

Hello Admissions Office,

I was just wondering about how the wait list is formed. I got wait listed and accepted for the class of 2017. Are people on the wait lists ranked in the order in which they are wait listed and then accepted in that order as space in the class opens up? How does that work?

Thanks!
From:COM Admissions ([email protected]) Sent:Mon 2/13/12 8:40 PMTo: Studly McAwesome ([email protected])

Thank you for your email. Yes that is exactly how it works. In May we will be able to tell you if you are in the Top 10, but no other statistics on the list at this time.

I don't know what to say. I'm proof that this isn't the case. I sent an email to them last night and this is what I got back: "Thank you for your email. Each applicant on the waitlist is given a score based on several factors. Applicants are then pulled off of the waitlist in order of the highest score, regardless of when the applicant was originally placed on the waitlist".

I really think everyone needs to stop worrying about the wait list and how it works. There is a lot of time before classes start and I know for a fact that there are people in the C/O 2016 who are still interviewing at MD schools and a few that have been accepted.

There is a lot of time before classes start and I know for a fact that there are people in the C/O 2016 who are still interviewing at MD schools and a few that have been accepted.

+1. I will be withdrawing my high wait list position as I was just accepted at my #1 choice MD program. Good luck to the rest of you! Perhaps I will see some of you in residency :) !

I don't know what to say. I'm proof that this isn't the case. I sent an email to them last night and this is what I got back: "Thank you for your email. Each applicant on the waitlist is given a score based on several factors. Applicants are then pulled off of the waitlist in order of the highest score, regardless of when the applicant was originally placed on the waitlist".

HWell, I'm stumped. The email I posted wasn't the first time I had my method validated, and obvious you've got your method validated through multiple communications with the school.

To be fair, mine seems "fairer" but yours seems more likely. And you've also been waiting longer. Think the Adcoms didn't just want to explain it to me?

HWell, I'm stumped. The email I posted wasn't the first time I had my method validated, and obvious you've got your method validated through multiple communications with the school.

To be fair, mine seems "fairer" but yours seems more likely. And you've also been waiting longer. Think the Adcoms didn't just want to explain it to me?

Their response to me was identical to phrasing I used in my email, and yours had a unique response...so who knows?

I only started posting because it seemed like everyone was getting accepted for c/o 2016 just a few weeks after being put on the high list. I was hoping someone else was experiencing the same thing. The adviser did say that everyone on the high list was accepted at some point last year, and that they started to pull from the regular wait list. Hopefully we hear soon!

+1. I will be withdrawing my high wait list position as I was just accepted at my #1 choice MD program. Good luck to the rest of you! Perhaps I will see some of you in residency :) !

Congrats. What school and where are you from?

I really think everyone needs to stop worrying about the wait list and how it works. There is a lot of time before classes start and I know for a fact that there are people in the C/O 2016 who are still interviewing at MD schools and a few that have been accepted.

+1 I am accepted into the COM class of 2016 but will be withdrawing soon due to my recent CHM acceptance. Hope one of you gets the seat I vacate!

Their response to me was identical to phrasing I used in my email, and yours had a unique response...so who knows?

I only started posting because it seemed like everyone was getting accepted for c/o 2016 just a few weeks after being put on the high list. I was hoping someone else was experiencing the same thing. The adviser did say that everyone on the high list was accepted at some point last year, and that they started to pull from the regular wait list. Hopefully we hear soon!

Here's hoping!
Yeah, I've heard that too Seems like they've gotten to the regular wait list the past 2 matriculation cycles, which is hopeful for us no matter what method they're using. Still, having closure so I can straighten some stuff out would be pretty nice. All this messy business is detracting from the joy I felt after being accepted for 2017 and high wait listed, lol. Good luck!:thumbup:

+1 I am accepted into the COM class of 2016 but will be withdrawing soon due to my recent CHM acceptance. Hope one of you gets the seat I vacate!

Congrats! Was it MSU CHM?

i really think everyone needs to stop worrying about the wait list and how it works. There is a lot of time before classes start and i know for a fact that there are people in the c/o 2016 who are still interviewing at md schools and a few that have been accepted.

+1

Hey guys

Just wondering, if we get placed on the high waitlist, is there anything we need to do/submit to confirm? or we just simply wait for an email from them when a space opens up?

Hey guys

Just wondering, if we get placed on the high waitlist, is there anything we need to do/submit to confirm? or we just simply wait for an email from them when a space opens up?

Nothing to do but schedule a visit date, if you fancy. What are your stats? I'm trying to figure out if they let people in on the high wait list based off of their overall stats, or based on the time they get placed on the list.

I know everyone's saying "oh, don't worry, usually everyone on the high wait list gets in" but I'm still anxious. NowatImean?

I think he/she was referring to that there is only one CHM (College of Human Medicine).
Only one that I know of, and it's my top choice. But I would have been more than happy as a COM student, and was confident I could achieve all my professional goals there. Best of luck to you all. See you around EL!

No, I meant that the score that your receive from the admissions committee matters. You are put on the waiting list based on that score. Which means that people from a much later date can have a better score than someone from an earlier one and therefore get accepted sooner than people whom have been waiting longer. This is what the lady from the admissions office told me when I called. But I have also had someone tell me that the order in which you are placed on the waiting list matters too. So, I really don't know for sure which one it is but I'm thinking it's probably the scoring method. It seems more likely.

I met with an adviser in person a few weeks ago and she did say that there is a score that determines your position on the waitlist. She couldn't tell me where I was on it, but she made it clear that when I was put on the waitlist had no bearing on when I would get taken off. So anyone with a higher score that was waitlisted after me will get accepted first.
Yes, that's what she told me too. But when I called another time someone told me that you get accepted in the order in which you are placed on the waiting list. I wish they would just clarify which one it is and stop confusing us! However, I'm with you. I think they use the scoring method. So, I guess we just have to wait until our numbers are up. :)

quote "hotandcold" Location: Leixistamopaupoulus

icon1.png

Quote:
Just wondering, if we get placed on the high waitlist, is there anything we need to do/submit to confirm? or we just simply wait for an email from them when a space opens up?Nothing to do but schedule a visit date, if you fancy. What are your stats? I'm trying to figure out if they let people in on the high wait list based off of their overall stats, or based on the time they get placed on the list.

I know everyone's saying "oh, don't worry, usually everyone on the high wait list gets in" but I'm still anxious. NowatImean?

Sorry, I'm confused....are you on the high wait list too? what do you mean "usually everyone on the high wait list gets in" I thought you are guaranteed a spot if you get placed on the high wait list, it's just a question of 2016 or 2017.

My stats are 3.3 GPA for undergrad, 3.8 for grad and 31 mcat.

Last edited:
quote "hotandcold" Location: Leixistamopaupoulus

icon1.png

Quote:
Just wondering, if we get placed on the high waitlist, is there anything we need to do/submit to confirm? or we just simply wait for an email from them when a space opens up?Nothing to do but schedule a visit date, if you fancy. What are your stats? I'm trying to figure out if they let people in on the high wait list based off of their overall stats, or based on the time they get placed on the list.

Sorry, I'm confused....are you on the high wait list too? what do you mean "usually everyone on the high wait list gets in" I thought you are guaranteed a spot if you get placed on the high wait list, it's just a question of 2016 or 2017.

My stats are 3.3 GPA for undergrad, 3.8 for grad and 31 mcat.

I meant gets in for the year the applied for. As in, usually everyone on the high waitlist, under typical circumstances, would end up getting in the class of 2016, while still having to option to go for the class of 2017.